• Published 27th Jan 2013
  • 652 Views, 14 Comments

We have our Reasons... - dragon191917



Pony-kind has always looked to the stars with interest. Now they can reach them.

  • ...
3
 14
 652

Taking Fire

All wars are our war...

Twilight blinked. She felt a presence, and heard the words. Now that she thought about it, she had been hearing messages a lot. What were they all about?

"Two frigates, captain. Equestrian-class." called a pony at a radar console.

Gilda nodded. "Send them a comm."

"Yes captain. We're open on comm."

Gilda took a deep breath and began. "Hello, Solar Empire warships. This is the LSS Crescent. We do not wish any harm."

A harsh laugh came over the comm. "Not wish any harm? What do you take us for? Idiots?"

Gilda shook her head. "No, we just wish for no lives to be harmed."

Twilight could tell Gilda's temper was running short. She wondered what would happen if Gilda got angry like her old self.

"No harm?" came the voice again. "Damn NLR gits saying they mean no harm? This chat is over!"

The comm clicked out. Gilda immediately started barking orders. "Prep the jump system! I want us out of here! Fury, time to ju"

She was interrupted as a blast shook the Crescent. This would have been fine if not a console exploded, sending a tech flying. Twilight, Fury, and Gilda all rushed over.

Fury got there first. "MEDIC!" he shouted.

Gilda knelt down. "Come on, come on, stay with me."

The tech, obviously dying, smiled. "Gilda, I forgot how wonderful your eyes are."

Gilda looked at him, and Twilight realized she was tearing up. "Don't leave me. Not another crew member."

The techs eyes sparkle. "It was a honor serving under you, Captain."

Gilda's eyes widened. "No. Don't say those words. Don't say them!" She was openly letting the tears flow down her cheeks.

The tech closed his eyes, and said these simple words; "We will meet again in the land beyond the stars, Gilda." It was the traditional last words of all space fairing ponies.

And he was gone. Twilight found herself crying, along with multiple other crew. She was flabbergasted at herself. Crying at an enemy who she didn't even know.

Gilda stood up, and walked up to her thrown, and said something Twilight didn't catch.

Fury found a smile creeping onto his face. "What was that, captain?"

Gilda smiled, in spite the tears flowing down her face. "The weapons. Prime them. We are engaging the enemy."

Fury's smile broke into an ear to ear grin, and he turned to the assorted ponies in the bridge. "Well? You heard her! Prime the weapons!"

The ponies around them all broke into grins. "Lets go!" one shouted.

After several seconds, no other shots had been fired by the frigates, as if they were seeing if the Crescent was going to retreat or stand her ground. Unfortunatly for them, it was the latter.

Gilda uttered one word. "Fire." If you blinked, you would have missed the entire battle.

In a brilliant flash, the gargantuan main gun fired, and then only one frigate remained. Directly afterwards, as if not to be out done by a single gun, every Magic Missile cannon, torpedo, missile, and MAC on the Crescent turned the second frigate into nothing but space dust.

Twilight stood stoke still all as cheers rang through the crowd of soldiers. First, that was the most violent thing she'd seen done by the New Lunar Republic, and it was done purely in defense. Secondly, the frigates had fired on them for no reason, just because they thought the same thing she did about the NLR. Third, her supposed Solar Empire 'friends' had just fired apon her, by accident or not. The same thing with the ships above Earth.

Twilight simly looks at Gilda and says, "Why?"

Gilda looks at her, shakes her head, and states simply, "We Have Our Reasons, Twilight Sparkle. We Have Our Reasons."

Author's Note:

Another chapter. Sorry I've been off for so long, but I've had some complicated matters to deal with recently.

Things are getting interesting, and the idea of how much weaponry is on a massive, advanced, star destroyer sized heavy dreadnought is in question.

Also, Magic Missile weapons are weapons powered by special energy crystals that store pure magic. They focus this energy into bolts of destructive magic, and toss them at the enemy.