• Published 12th Feb 2012
  • 24,460 Views, 1,353 Comments

From Skies Above - Sparklight



An object falls out of the sky into the no-pony's land between Equestria and Gryphon territory.

  • ...
78
 1,353
 24,460

VII. Airborne

MLP FiM is owned by Hasbro.

All characters belong to their respective owners.


From Skies Above – Airborne





“Aegis! Get to work on that shield!”'

The unicorn called out an acknowledgement. He closed his eyes and his horn began to glow a deep blue colour. The weak glow soon turned into a raging sun, growing brighter and brighter as minutes passed. Valiant hovered above the other soldiers, wings flapping rhythmically, suspending the pegasus in the air. His eyes remained locked on the fast approaching shapes in the distance. The aliens kept up a steady pace, and had increased their speed when they realised they had been spotted. Valiant glanced back toward Aegis.

“How’s that shield coming?”

“Almost... there...” the unicorn grunted. The unicorn roared his success when the shining ball of magic shot from his horn into the sky like a firework. The blue light slowed as it reached its peak, then exploded. The energy rained down in arcs around the ship, growing and connecting to form a dome shaped shield around the crash site. Several whoops and cheers sounded from the guards as their defence was finally completed.

Not too far away from the ship, a tall biped slowed his pace, gawking in awe at the sudden appearance of the shield. He looked toward his companions, who had stopped alongside him. One barked several commands and waved the group forward before resuming his march toward the ship. With a few uncertain glances between themselves, the rest followed in suite.





*





“Get a doctor!” The pegasus screamed at his companion.

The unicorn ripped his eyes away from the convulsing alien in the cell and took off without a second glance. The pegasus didn’t watch the other guard leave, instead fumbling with the keys to the cells in a desperate attempt to help the creature.
What had gone wrong? Was it the food? Was the food poisoned? A disease, maybe? Questions whirled though his mind like a tornado as the repulsing taste of the key’s handle hit his tongue. The discomfort went unnoticed as he jammed the head of the key into the lock. A loud gurgle emanated from the creature’s throat, and the clatter of his limbs striking the floor began to slow. The guard began to panic as he realised time was quickly running out.

Finally, a loud click sounded from the lock, and the guard wasted no time in throwing the door open. The biped remained where it had been moments ago, but its movements were becoming less frequent. The guard rushed over to the dying alien, unsure of what to do. Was it choking? Food poisoning?

A feeling of helplessness began to weigh down his mind. He didn’t know what to do. He turned back to the hallway.

“I need a doctor!” he cried.

The alien groaned loudly, startling the guard and causing him to jump back. His hand twitched on the floor, but the convulsions ceased. Perhaps the seizure had passed? The guard’s eyes flipped back and forth between the alien and the door of the cell. Help still hadn’t arrived.

The pegasus froze. Something was wrong. The biped’s jaw twitched, his fingers curled inwards. His chest was still. He wasn’t breathing. The pressed his hoof against the creature’s chest. There was nothing. No breath, no heartbeat. Nothing.

Ryan was dead.





*





Wind whipped past the gryphon’s face as he flew. The feeling of flying was like no other. The air surrounding his body, every stroke of his powerful wings propelling him further and the clear skies, open to him completely. This was where he belonged. In the sky, flying. It was the definition of freedom. He flew at a leisurely pace, for it would be counterproductive to waste his energy now.

The battle group behind him, over thirty strong, matched his speed, staying in a loose formation as they flew. They were the first of the two groups dispatched to reclaim their lost territory, and following close behind were several of the gryphon’s fearsome warships. The beasts were held aloft by a huge balloon, made from a tough, leather-like material that could resist fire, and most projectiles, and a specialist team of warriors dedicated to defending the platform from any airborne foes. Each warship carried several mounted ballista, along with a range of other weapons that could wreak havoc on buildings and infantry. To any opposing ground forces, the behemoths were nothing less than a floating nightmare.

The gryphon grinned. It wasn’t far now. For his kind, there was no greater honour than the honour of battle, of victory. Soon enough he would sink his blade into Equestrian flesh and revel in the glory of battle.
Soon.





*





Valiant could see the bipedal figures gathering at the edge of the shield. The aliens had approached cautiously, stopping when they reached the magical barrier. They remained at its edge, most likely conversing amongst themselves to decide their next course of action.

Valiant Effort watched them closely through a small telescope, a frown on his face. Several of the bipeds huddled together, the gestures they made and their proximity to one another leading the stallion to believe that they were talking. The others from the group had spread out around the area, guarding the central group.

Movement caught Valiant’s eye, and he rotated the telescope to view the offending alien. The creature was slowly approaching the barrier, stopping about a metre away. It observed the blue tinted shield for a few moments before raising its weapon.

One of the other bipeds saw the movement, swiftly breaking off from the conversing group and dashing toward the alien at the shield, waving its arms. The biped’s weapon was now raised, and it nudged the metallic tip forward at the shield.

It passed clean through.

Valiant’s eyes widened. The alien quickly withdrew the weapon, then experimentally prodded the barrier again. The black tip of the weapon once again passed through the barrier, the blue tint of the magic disappearing as the weapon came onto Valiant’s side. The alien, spurred on by its success, then pushed its hand through.

Valiant watched in horror as the biped literally stepped straight through the barrier, emerging on his side completely unharmed. It turned back to its companions and delivered what seemed to be a shrug, then beckoned them to follow. After a moment of hesitation, the creatures began to step through, one at a time, but soon enough all eighteen of them were though, and heading his way.

Valiant shook himself out of his fear induced paralysis. “Breach! The shield has been breached! Everypony to their stations, we have incoming!”

The soldiers around him jumped to attention, shooting off to their posts. Valiant too set off running, weaving between his troops. He had to find Aegis.





*





“No. No. No!” Luna paced back and forth across the cell.

Ryan’s body still lay on the floor where he died. The human’s skin had already begun to pale, and his empty eyes still stared lifelessly at the ceiling. Luna continued to pace, stopping every few moments to look back at the body, as if Ryan would somehow revive himself. Nothing happened.

Celestia stood outside the cell, watching sorrowfully as her sister fumed over the dead alien. Stepping in now would only trigger an angered response, so she waited. The Princess of the Night had good reason for her anger. Ryan had been somewhat of a middleman. He could act as an envoy between the two races, to persuade the new arrivals that the Equestrian nation meant no harm to them. The other crash survivors had already acted aggressively toward both the ponies and the gryphons. While Celestia was sad and angry over the deaths of her ponies, she knew she could not blame them. Having survived a devastating crash and being hunted by the gryphons would have left them scared and alone. But if they were to inform the new human arrivals that both nations were enemies, than the results could be devastating.

If only the gryphons could understand what they were doing.

“What are we going to do, Tia?” Luna’s voice lowered considerably as she came down from her rage.

“Whatever we can. Things aren’t going to be easy, but there is still hope.”

“We should find the others. Make peace with them before they are found.”

Celestia nodded. “I’ll send a letter to the guards. I just hope it isn’t too late.”





*





*BAMBAMBAM!*

Valiant jumped as Aegis fell lifeless into the snow, blood pouring out of the holes in his chest. The unicorn’s shield faded away into nothingness as the life seeped out of its creator’s body. Valiant cursed, quickly turning to face the attackers. There would be time for mourning later.

Once they realised that the shield posed no threat to them, the aliens had charged forward, opening fire on the guards. The alien weapons were terrifyingly effective at long range, as soldiers began falling all around him. Fear coursed through the pegasus’ body as he realised he was in way over his head. His instincts screamed for him to flee, but his training had quickly shot the cries down. No matter what, he was under orders to guard this area. He wasn’t going anywhere.

*BAMBAMBAM!*

Pegasi ducked and weaved through the air, mostly managing to evade the enemy’s attacks. Every so often they would loose crossbow bolts or spears at the bipeds, yet their attacks were poorly aimed out of swiftness, missing their targets, and only slowing the alien advance.

The bipeds were spread out in a line. Some would crouch down and fire whilst the others ran forward, then the role would switch, giving each of them ample cover to approach.

A group of unicorns charged forward, horns ablaze with magic. The group slid to a halt as multiple fireballs were launched from their horns toward the attackers. The aliens under fire ducked down, all managing to dodge the flames, except one.

The biped screamed as the ball of flame exploded over his body, killing it swiftly, but painfully. Another alien rushed forward, stretched is arm back, and then swinging it forward at the unicorns. A small object left the alien’s hand and soared through the air, resisting any attempts by the unicorns to catch it with their telekinesis.

*KA-BOOM!*

Snow was thrown into the air. The group of unicorns let out piercing screams as they were thrown away from the explosion. Valiant instinctively ducked at the nearby explosion as bits of debris rained down on him from above. They have explosives too?!

A pegasus fell from the sky and slammed into the ground nearby, Valiant wincing at the sound. He glanced at the pegasus, who remained unmoving in the snow. The Captain cursed before leaping into the air.

*BAMBAMBAM!*

More ponies fell, as Valiant circled over the battle. His soldiers were being pushed back relentlessly, dropping like flies. Valiant could only watch in horror as his guards died before him. There was no way they could hold back the aliens. Valiant clenched his teeth together. Their orders were to hold the crash site, coming directly from the Princesses, but his troops were dying. There was no chance that they could hold out against the bipeds.

Valiant effort gave in. He swung around, preparing to call a retreat when something caught his eye. As he focused on the disturbance, his eyes widened in fear.

In the distance, an airship sailed toward them, small figures visible in the air around the beast. Another airship floated close behind it, followed by another. Valiant shook himself out of his stupor, darting back toward the ship.





*





The alien crouched low and turned his head at the sound of distant roars. Dozens of voices, maybe even hundreds united to create a fearsome war cry that echoed across the land below. Under its helmet, the biped gasped. A huge swarm of dark shapes sped toward the downed ship, with a trio of large airships following up from behind. The biped barked a warning to its mates, whom also glanced back at the oncoming storm of hostiles. They only watched for a moment, for each knew what they needed to do to survive.

Quickening their pace, the group of aliens followed the retreating ponies back toward their former vessel, weapons still blazing.





*




It took mere minutes for the first wave of gryphons to reach the battleground. Most of the pegasi had made it back to the entrance, but their ground bound cousins had greater difficulty, only compounded by the fire from the aliens whom had not ceased their attack. With a loud shink, a pair of blades slid out of Valiant’s hoof braces. The blade and bracers were standard issue to the Equestrian military, and almost all pegasi guards carried them. The blades provided a quick, easy to use means of self defence to the agile ponies. Some unicorns and earth ponies were known to wear them, but they were uncommon amongst the non-flyers, as having a sharp blade sticking out of the end of a hoof limited mobility greatly.

A shadow passed over his back, resulting in the swift pegasus executing a dodge, barely missing the gryphon that just attacked him. The hen hissed in anger, brandishing her sword as she prepared for another attack. All around him pegasi began to engage the gryphons in airborne hoof to talon combat, but the details escaped the pegasus captain. His focus rested on the hen speeding toward him.

Valiant pulled his wings in and rolled over, his altitude dropping quickly. As the gryphon swung by over his head, he kicked his hind legs up, just catching the hen as she flew past. The hit threw her off balance, sending her into a spin. As she tried to regain control, Valiant seized his advantage, swooping down and slashing at the gryphon’s neck. Captain Valiant Effort flew away, leaving the mortally wounded hen to fall to her death.





*





The battlefield was chaos. Ponies fled toward the safety of the alien ship, but close behind were the aliens themselves. Bodies were already strewn across the battlefield, and the massive, dark shadows of the airships loomed overhead, surrounded by swarms of their feathered guardians.

Commander Balik watched from his perch at the helm of his airship. The attack could not have gone better. Not only were his two enemies in one place when they arrived, but they were killing each other too. His warriors filled the skies over the ship, overpowering any air resistance that the Equestrians could muster.

But then there were the aliens. Tales of their brutality had circulated though his ranks, and his warriors were reluctant to attack them. Even worse was the council had requested, if possible, to bring back living specimens, and that those who were involved in their capture would be greatly rewarded. Balik disliked the idea. It put his warriors at greater risk for something that seemed unnecessary. He sighed. No doubt there would be many amongst his ranks who would risk their lives to rope themselves a biped.

Balik returned his focus to the battle. His warriors were crushing any airborne resistance, but the aliens still dominated the ground. He noticed gryphon flyers were keeping a higher altitude than usual in a battle. Balik frowned. The alien’s weapons must have been efficient enough to defend against airborne infantry. The Equestrians had retreated to the ship, and their pegasi clung to whatever airspace they could hold, with a great deal of support from their ground forces.

A streak of green light leapt across the battlefield, striking one of the bipeds. Balik’s face soured. Magic, the source of the Equestrian’s power. Unicorns were the most powerful mortal beings in the world, all because of their ability to channel their magic through their horn. All living things had some form of magic. Pegasi and gryphons used theirs to fly and walk on clouds, dragons used theirs for flight and flame, but unicorns were the only mortals who could channel and bend their magic to their will. To them magic was a tool, and, if used correctly, one that could make them the most fearsome mortal being in existence. It was fortunate that their magical ability was linked to their talent, and was rather difficult to master, or the other nations would most likely have fallen long ago.

The biped on the receiving end of the magical attack was flung backward, falling to the ground, but, much to Balik’s surprise, stirred mere moments later. Balik watched in amazement as the alien scrambled to its feet, and immediately returned fire on its attacker. The bolt had almost no effect. These creatures were immune, or at least quite resistant.

A grin broke out on the gryphon commander’s face. He could only imagine the fear a unicorn would feel when he realised his precious magic was near useless when fighting these aliens. It would be a very amusing moment.

The grin faded when a peculiar sound caught the gryphon’s ear. The dull droning noise was detectable over the sounds of the battle, and there was also a chopping sound, as if someone was hitting a tree with an axe at a phenomenal speed. The sounds were also growing considerably louder. Balik’s head swivelled, trying to identify the source. It wasn’t long before he spotted two growing shapes on the horizon. Balik’s eyes widened as the pair of flying nightmares came further into view.





*





“Captain! We’ve got incoming from the west!”

What remained of the guard had converged around the hull breach of the alien ship, frantically attempting to fend off both gryphon and alien attacks, but their numbers were dropping, and the found themselves being pushed back at an alarming rate. There was good news, however. Some of the pressure had been taken off his troops, as some of the bipeds, for reasons unknown, had ceased to use their larger weapons, instead switching to their smaller armaments.
Valiant Effort cursed when he heard the cry. His soldiers were already fighting a losing battle, and the arrival of more gryphons would most certainly end them. He was reluctant to defy the Princess’ orders and call a retreat, but that might save at least some of his troops. If he were to pull his soldiers out then maybe the gryphons would focus of the aliens, allowing his soldiers to escape.

The massive bulk of the ship hid all view of the western side for any ground forces, so the captain jumped into the air, flying upwards to give himself a better view. Over the shouts, cries and clashes of metal, Valiant ears picked up and odd noise. The pegasus ascended until he was just high enough to spot the newcomers. Valiant’s heart skipped a beat when the flying metal monstrosities came into view.

The alien airships were approaching, and fast.


I did have a picture for this one, but it was fucking hideous. It doesn't help that I can't draw vehicles.

Thanks for reading guys, you know the drill: read, rate, fave, comment and tell your friends!