• Published 13th Apr 2013
  • 6,060 Views, 236 Comments

When Kindness Met Hatred - Dramapony



Fluttershy tells the story of her brother, and the family that rejected him.

  • ...
40
 236
 6,060

Interlude: A Blast From The Past

Interlude: A Blast From The Past

***

A lovely autumn afternoon enveloped cloudsdale. My twelve-year-old self sat and watched Rainbow Dash zoom in every direction across my room.

“I’m tellin’ ya, Fluttershy, I wish we had recess three times a day!” my friend squealed in her excited filly voice. She always enjoyed as much free time she could get.

“Oh, Rainbow Dash, if only it was that easy,” I replied, tapping my lips with a chortle. “Whenever class gets boring, I want nothing more than to be outside and fly with all the pretty birds.”

Rainbow landed on the cloud floor, rolling her eyes at my supposed idea of fun. “C’mon, is capture the flag really that scary for you?”

My pupils shrank, accompanied with a shaking body. “I-I’m sorry, I just don’t like Hoops and Dumbbell always trying to push me off the clouds.”

“Don’t pay any attention to them,” she said, sounding exasperated like she has heard it a thousand times before. “You just need to focus on finding the orange in the clouds, and—”

“F-F-Fluttershy?” came a tiny, nervous voice through the crack of the doorframe, cutting Dash short. Turning my head, I saw Mockingbird gently push the door open with his muzzle. Frowning, his little eight-year-old body shuddered on its own accord, his citrus orange eyes brimming with tears.

I wore a face of sisterly concern. “Mockingbird, are you okay?”

He shook his head. “I-I’m sorry, I don’t want to bother you.” He quickly turned away and began making his way out the opposite end.

“You’re not bothering us,” I calmly objected, as I rose and trotted in his direction. Catching up in the hallway, my hoof hooked onto his shoulder, halting him. Mockingbird spun around and looked up into my eyes with fear. My soft hoof touched his face. “Mockingbird, sweetie, you’re shaking like a leaf. What’s the matter?”

He looked over my shoulder and saw Rainbow Dash approaching the scene. After performing a take to his bedroom, then back to us, he ordered, “Secret Room, now!”


The lightbulb clicked above our heads. The yellow fluorescent light illuminated the foal-sized room in the depths of my brother’s closet. With himself in the center, Rainbow Dash and myself to his sides, Mockingbird took a breath.

“Uhm… I’m scared, Fluttershy,” he confessed, voice trembling.

I brought my hoof to my chest. “Oh, is it because of your voice recital this Friday? Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll sound lovely as always.”

He vigorously shook his head.

Rainbow Dash looked prepared to take an defensive stance. “What’s the problem, Mocking? Is there anypony that’s giving you a hard time?”

He shook his head again. “I-I’m a very bad colt.”

Confusion and shock molded the expression of my face. Such a sweet little colt who never did anything wrong to anypony; how could he say such a thing? “Mockingbird, why are you saying that? What could you have possibly done wrong?”

Mockingbird shivered like he was caught in a blizzard. He looked up at me. His stomach puffed and fell with a large heave. “I-I really like Thunderlane.”

“Well, I think that’s great,” I began, “Thunderlane is a very nice colt, and would make a great friend for anyp—”

“No, I mean I REALLY like him!” Mockingbird urgently interrupted. “Like how Daddy likes M-Mommy.” His whole face turned red as a tomato while he continued to force out, “I-I think… that I… that I’m… in love with colts! They’re just so pretty, and handsome, and nice, and I feel super excited around them!”

“What do you mean?” I asked, trying to relax him simultaneously.

“I know colts are supposed to love and marry fillies, but I don’t feel that way! I feel like I want to m-marry a s-stallion! But now you’re going to h-hate me, like Mommy and Daddy hates them! I’m a freak!” His high-pitched crying rang like a siren. Tears soiled his cheeks and muzzle.

As I sat there confused, I could only feel sorry for my poor little brother. Many thoughts kept running through my head. It just sounded like love. I could never see why it would be harmful or bad. Mockingbird wasn’t hurting anypony; to me, he just wanted to love and be happy. Why is it wrong to show kindness and love?

Rainbow Dash only sat, too lost for a reaction.

Doing only what was natural for me, I brought my left hoof forward, causing Mockingbird to shy away. Still, as gentle as my nature would allow, I lightly touched the underside of his chin, turning his focus to my eyes of sorrow. As the volume of his weeps rose, it was my cue to pull him into a hug. His ear rested against my soft, beating heart while my hoof brushed through his mane.

“Shhh… it’s all going to be okay, Mockingbird,” I soothed. “I don’t hate you at all. I don’t think what you’re feeling is wrong.”

“Y-You don’t?” Mockingbird sniffled, his voice crackling.

“Of course not. I can never hate you for wanting to show love. While Mother and Father make it sound like it’s… uhm, strange, I can’t see why they think it’s wrong.”

I looked down to him with a smile of empathy, meeting his unsure eyes. “B-But what if I end up doing bad or hurtful things to everypony, like what Daddy is always telling us?”

“Mockingbird, you would never even harm a mosquito!” Rainbow Dash chimed in. “I think you loving other colts sounds super cool. I don’t know many other ponies like that!” The blood of Mockingbird’s cheeks glowed a revealing hue in reply.

“So, you don’t think I’m a freak, or anything?” he asked, anxiously.

“Would never even think of it,” I answered.

“Never in a gazillion years!” Rainbow declared. “But, how about we keep this as our own little secret for now.” She shot a look at me, waiting for my agreement.

“I think that would sound wonderful,” I said. “The only ponies who will ever know about this are the three of us.”

“S-So we don’t have to tell Mommy and Daddy?” Mockingbird asked, wearing a pleading face.

“You can tell them when you feel ready,” I assured him, sealing my word with a light kiss to his forehead. Rainbow Dash crossed her heart with a nod.

Seeing that my brother was still shaken, I knew what he needed to feel completely loved and assured. Looking to Dash, my hopeful face begged, “Please? Do it for him.” She never liked her role in the game very much, considering how ‘un-cool’, ‘boring’ and ‘overly sappy’ it sounded to her. Though this case seemed like an exception to my athletic friend. Once Rainbow gave a somewhat reluctant nod in consent, my face returned to Mockingbird with a playful grin.

“Mockingbird,” I began in a comforting tone, “the doctor is in.”

With his face brightening up, he immediately jumped in with the game. “Dr. Flutters, I’m not feeling very well. I need some more of your special medicine.”

I gestured my hoof to the door leading out of the crawlspace. “Right this way. Just relax on the bed outside, and Doctor Flutters and Nurse Rainbow will be with you shortly.”

***