• ...
3
 25
 1,188

A Half Remembered Dream

Chapter 1

A Half Remembered Dream

First Year of the Diarchy of the Second Age of Equestria

Canterlot Royal Throne Room

Luna des Nacht

Midnight Court

Since her return to Equestria, by and far, Midnight Court had been her least favorite discovery. When before she ruled with her sister, they had lesser ponies handle this affair. If they deemed it important, an item would be bumped up a rank. And so on until, if something was urgent enough it would reach one of the Diarch’s. But now, no. She had to sit on an uncomfortable throne for almost all of her waking hours listening to meaningless politics. Much had changed in her absence.

The pony before her, Lord Rust she seemed to recall his name being, was not the bearer of such urgent news and as such her concentration had wondered.

Would not be so bad if we were allotted cushions for this Faust forsaken hunk of metal. And the temperature, is it really so necessary to keep a throne room boiling? Tis a wonder how mine sister could prefer this to are old ways. They will not even let us break our fast before attending! As a matter of fact I am beginning to feel quite nauseous. We wonder would it be unbecoming for us to ask for a cushion and maybe some water? We haven’t felt this uncomfortable since .. No, surely not now. So soon? They have never come so suddenly. But tis the same ...

Luna shifted uneasily on the throne. Waves of nausea were sweeping over her as well as a feeling of great frustration. She attempted to right her posture before anyone noticed, but it was too late.The delegate from Las Pegasus halted his lecture on tax policies and looked at her warily. “Is everything alright your highness? You seem distracted.”

“Tis nothing Lord Rust. A thought crossed our mind at an inopportune time, please continue.”

“If you say so Princess. Now, as I was saying the current rate of fifteen percent on imports is amite high, and has resulted in a few strained relationships between...”

The rest of Lord Rust’s speech began to draw on, but Luna’s focus was elsewhere. Another bout of nausea hit her, as well as another unbefitting emotion. She focused on the feeling, drawing magic to it. Ah ha! Yes! Tis as we suspected! Another breakthrough. We must hold off! This can not be forgotten. We must be focused. But not here. They would suspect. They would alert Tia. She would not understand. She never understands.

She scoffed at the thought out loud. But apparently Lord Rust took it as encouragement for his point and droned on. The last few left almost as soon as they came. We must not allow more of are precious memories to slip through are grasps. To Tartarus with this dratted court! Why must Tia allow these ponies to prattle on about nonsense day in and day out? Do they not understand a God has more important matters to attend to?! Wait, he finally appears to be winding down. We must hurry before this one too passes us by!

“Lord Rust, we have listened to your proposal with an open mind and unbiased ears. But we are afraid we must decline your request. At this point in time such a move would be unwise.” She bit her lip and hopped she had bluffed her way through.

“Yes my princess, thank you for your time.” Rust replied bowing low. And with that he turned and strode out of the room. Luna let out an inaudible sigh of relief. We hope whatever Rust was proposing was of no grave importance. We suppose if it was he shall bring it before us again. But for now we must away, before it fades entirely.

Luna rose from the throne and descended the dais to the floor below. A host of Lords, Ladies, and servants turned to her expectantly. She coughed a little to clear her throat before speaking. “Ahem, at this time we shall break for a time, rest as you see fit but report back to the throne room in three hours. Dismissed.”

The congregation of ponies began to file out in small groups. Idle conversation leading to a few stragglers.Luna waited until none but her remained before departing as well. She waited for her guard to form around her outside of the doors before swiftly making for the royal chambers.

Moonlight drifted almost lazily through tall windows placed along the hall from the throne room. The tapestry of the history of Equestria laid at her feet, their shadows cast from the stained glass. Glancing at them she attempted to discern the stories told there. Some familiar while some completely unbeknown to her. We will have to make proper time to inspect these again, but not now. Must hurry. I will not lose another.

Luna and her entourage rounded a corner into a large group of ponies on there way out of the palace. They quickly pressed themselves to the wall to make room for the hurried lunar princess. A small smile graced Luna’s lips. It warms our heart to see the ponies enjoying my night, not like they use- …

Her thoughts trailed off and she halted mid step. Her mind having reached a block. Not like they used to? But the ponies used to love my nights, they celebrated and fasted, at least before …

Another block, but this time it was accompanied by the nausea and a feeling of pure resentment, but unquestionable longing. Yet another piece of the puzzle it doth appear. What are you not telling me Tia?

Her abrupt halt in the middle of the corridor had startled her escorts. One was about to voice his concern when the alicorn again began her march. The guard quickly began to reform around her when Luna broke into a full out canter. In a panic the guard drew their weapons and attempted to close the distance.

Luna caught the action out of the corner of her eye and immediately regretted her impatience. She craned her neck around, still running, and offered a brief explanation. “Erhm, a private emergency mine guard, no need for that. I am close enough now, thank you for your assistance. We shall rejoin you shortly.”

And with that her horn lit up, flashed, and she was gone.

*

Luna reappeared in her chambers with a small pop. The light on her horn from the brief teleportation faded away leaving her in darkness. She fumbled along the wall looking for the light. Bumping the gem the mage lights around the room flared into life, illuminating the royal chambers. The soft light played across the indigo walls, and casted harsh shadows against the star scape of a ceiling. She began to move across the room to her desk, but never made it from the door. A hammer was being beaten against her skull and fire doused on her magic. No time, it is flaring. Now or never. She dropped to her knees, wincing at the crescendo.

Squeezing her eyes tight the alicorn flared her wings and ignited her horn. The magic immediately took hold. The still unfamiliar sensation of the emergence washed over her. Ants were devouring her flesh. A spear had been driven through her chest and the hammering in her head was now a full on riot. Focusing against the pain, on the point where her sentience met her magic, she increased the flow of energy. At once the pain vanished, and a serenity descended. Unconsciousness swiftly began to take hold. Please, show us what transpired then. What is our sister keeping? Why did she banish me?

*

Luna made her way down the corridors at a leisurely pace. Occasionally stopping to admire the night scape from one of the keeps high windows. The occasional maid or guard would pass her, but none interrupted her musings. All left the alicorn to her thoughts.

Having satisfied the urge to admire her visage however, Luna resumed her trek. Making her way through the still unfamiliar halls. Turning a corner and running into yet another dead end she decided to ask a servant for directions. Spotting a winged mare exiting a hall, she called out “Excuse me, maiden? Might I trouble you to show me the way to the tower?”

The pegasus seemed surprised but quickly bowed low. “Of course majesty, this way please.”

The frightened mare led Luna through a few corridors before emerging into a grand hall at the foot of a sweeping staircase. She turned and bowed again. “Highness.”

Luna returned the bow with a small curtsey. “ Many thanks.”

The servant turned and retreated the way they had come. The princess turned and walked to the end of the hall, where a great set of wooden doors stood open. Resting against the door she again admired the beauty of the night, this time relishing in the warm summer breeze flowing across the courtyard. The courtyard itself was in disarray. Piles of stone and lumber occupied most of the space. Construction equipment and tents vieing for what remained. Turning her eyes away from the courtyard, and through a hole in the still uncompleted wall, she could see the vast expanse of the Everfree extending on. The green boughs swaying in the gentle wind. The leaves shining in the bright light of the moon.

Luna sighed happily. Truly content for the first time in many months. The happy mood quickly vanished however, as her sight panned from the forest to the distant glowing lights of Canterlot.

“Sister.” She almost growled. “All of this because of your indecisiveness and cowardice. Maybe when the loss, your own, you will see the folly of your ways. Until that day though …”

She trailed off into silence. Still glowering at the distant city. Luna shook her head, clearing the distractions. “Not this night, no. Tonight will not be marred by your tragedies.”

The alicorn turned and and began to climb the winding stairs. After a few minutes she finally reached the top of the tower. Of her tower. Her home. Her new home. Which was, still unfinished, she noted. “I thought I gave instructions for this place to be finished first? There isn't even a roof!” She shook her head in annoyance. “I will have to crack down on this. To much these ponies have been influenced by my sister. Lazy. Is what they are. From all of her coddling. They ought to know good things, a functioning society, do not come from happiness, but from hard work! It is a wonder Equestria held on as long as it did with this type of mentality. Much will we have to work to undo my sisters ways.”

Her rant trailed off into the dark as she approached a set of doors near the end of the hall. Pausing to orient herself, she forced all thoughts of her sister from her mind. Succeeding, for the time being, Luna pushed the doors open with her magic and entered as quietly as she could. A smile worked its way across her face, all hints of her previous demeanor vanishing. The alicorn made her way across the dim room to the stallion standing over a small bed. Luna crept up beside him and placed a small kiss on his cheek. The stallion turned and smiled at her. “Luna, I was wondering what was keeping you. Is everything allright?”

“Yes Notte, everything is fine. Just lost in my own thoughts again. How is she?”

“See for yourself.” He said and stepped aside.

Luna stepped up to the bed and smiled down at its occupant. “Hello my darling.” She crooned. “Mommy missed you. Oh come here.”

She reached down and gently scooped up the small bundle from the bed. The little filly wrapped up inside cooed with delight at the attention. Beaming up at both of her parents. Lunas heart melted at the sight. “ She’s so beautiful. She looks so much like you Notte.”

“Pssh. I should hope not. What parent could wish this mug on their child?” The stallion scoffed, the dim light throwing his smirk into contrast. The light briefly illuminating his smoky grey coat and silvery mane.

“Oh stop it, I wouldn’t be standing here if you were that bad on the eyes.” Luna replied.

Notte just grinned again. “I might be offended if you weren’t a terrible liar.” He leaned up planted a kiss on her lips. He turned his attention back to the small filly, who was presently chewing on a lock of Luna’s mane. “So, have you decided on a name yet?”

Luna paused and looked down at the light pink alicorn in her arms. “I was thinking, how about Cadence?”

*

As the vision ended, and consciousness returned. Luna began to cry.

Author's Note:

So, voila! Chapter One is here. More to come. I have great things in-store for this fic. Thanks to Doctor Strangelove for editing, I think. If you see anything wrong please point it out. If you do not like it please explain to me why, I love input. Also, if you do read it, please give me something. A thumb either way, a fave, comment, something! Anyway, hope you enjoy whats to come. .