• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 1,030 Views, 20 Comments

A Squire's Tail- Lunar Guards - BBkat



Sun Chaser spends the night in the Lunar Gurd's wing on a dare. Things happen.

  • ...
3
 20
 1,030

Chapter 4

The couch, as it turned out, was where he was going to sleep and Chase was out like a light almost as soon as he lay down. He didn’t sleep for very long though, and after a short fifteen-minute nap he was up again.

“Have a good nap?” asked Wish as he clambered off the couch, shaking off the blanket Comet had pulled over him while he’d slept.

“Very,” he replied, stretching his forelegs out in front. He glanced around the room before looking back at her, “Hey, where’d the other two go?”

She just shrugged, “Out, didn’t say where though, not that I’m too worried.”

Bleary eyed and partly awake Chase was not prepared for what happened next as he suddenly felt himself being tugged along the ground by an enthusiastic Wish who now held the end of his tail her teeth.

“What in Equestria-? Wish, what are you doing?” he asked, front legs flailing as he tried to keep in one spot, and failing to do so.

“You’ll see, just hush up and follow me. You’ll love this I’m sure. At least, I hope you will.” She grinned at him over her shoulder and continued pulling him along.

She pushed the common room door open and stuck her head out to look around, releasing his tail in the process.

“Coast is clear, come on and keep quiet,” she said, gesturing for Chase to follow her into the hall.

The unicorn frowned, the coast was clear, what did she mean by that? Where there guards wandering about? There were probably night guards of course, given that this was their section of the dorms, but would they really be a problem? Not for Wish obviously, it would be like him getting in trouble for wandering his dorm during the day. But for Chase the Night Guards would definitely pose a problem, especially since he was uninvited there.

With his head held low he tip-toed down the hall after her, trying his best to keep from making noise as his hooves clattered on the stones. Needless to say, it wasn’t easy.

“So where are we going?” he asked, growing impatient as they walked down the hall.

She shook her head, “I told you already, you’ll see. Now hold your horses alright?”

He snorted in annoyance, so much secrecy. He really hoped this wasn’t going to get him in trouble.

Eventually the pair left the dorm and found themselves outside, on a path that led to the outdoor hedge maze.

“The hedge maze, really?” asked Chase, “You brought me out to see the maze? I’m pretty sure everypony’s seen that thing.”

“Of course not you dork face. But we have to go through it to get to where we’re going,” she said, tossing her head back with a laugh before patting his head with a wing. “Now come on.”

“It’s kinda dark, we’re not going to get lost are we?”

“Not if you follow me. I’ve navigated that thing hundreds of times, I always go through when I’m bored.” Chase really hoped she was telling the truth about this, the last thing he wanted was to get lost in the hedge maze, at night. Even thought they had Luna’s moon and stars to light their path it was still very dark out and easy to get lost.

He shivered as they approached the large hedges; they looked almost scary in the dark. Suddenly he felt a pair of hooves on his shoulders and he was propelled head first into the bushes of the maze with a strangled cry.

“Keep quiet, now!” hissed Wish as she pushed him farther into the bush and he felt her back up against him.

He tried to protest, he wanted to know why she’d thrown him into the bushes in the first place. He didn’t get the chance though as he heard her speak again, though this time not to him.

“Captain Steel Blade, out for a walk too?”

A deep, clearly male voice spoke in response, one Chase didn’t recognize. “No, I have patrol tonight, so I have to get to my station. What about you? All alone tonight, the twins not with you?”

“Naw, I think they went off to read their Ponies and Castles books, or to find someone to play it with them. Or to eat.”

“I see, well enjoy your walk. I’ll see you later.” Heavy hoofsteps trailed off into the distance after the voice and he heard Wish sigh.

“Oh sweet Luna, that was too close for comfort. I completely forget that he walks this route to his post.”

Teeth chomped down on his tail and he felt a sharp tug as she pulled on it. He whimpered in pain, flailing his hooves as he was pulled from the bushes by his tail, hitting the ground with a light thud.

“That hurt,” he said, looking up at her, legs splayed out to each side. Twigs and leaves stuck in his mane and tail and small leaves clung to his coat. “What in Equestria did you do that to me for?”

She rolled her eyes, “How else was I going to get you out of there? I don’t have a fancy-schmancy horn like you do. I needed to hide you in there so my captain wouldn’t see you. It was spur of the moment ok? I panicked.” She extended her hoof to him, “Come on, let’s get moving, we shouldn’t have any problems now.”

He took her hoof, groaning as he stood up and shaking his head, trying to get rid of the bush debris that was still clinging to him. A glow encased his horn as he pulled out the sticks and leaves, tossing them aside.

“I hope so, and no more throwing me into bushes alright? That was not fun at all. Or at least warn me next time you need to do something like that.”

She just giggled, “Alright, I’ll avoid doing that if I have to, so just keep an eye out.” She flicked her tail and gestured for Chase to follow as she started into the hedge maze.

“I hope you know where we’re going,” said Chase, looking around as they walked.

“I could walk this path in my sleep, so yes I have an idea of where we’re going,” she laughed. “So just keep close, I don’t need to be trying to locate you in the dark because you wandered off.”

“I can always light the way if you want,” he offered.

“You don’t need to, night vision remember?” she gestured to her eyes, “Luna’s moon is plenty of light for me to see by.”

Cat’s eyes, of course, how had he forgotten that? Chase shook his head at his own stupidity and continued walking behind her.

They passed one small clearing and he felt a shiver run down his spine as he looked inside. The only thing in it was a single, grotesque statue. It looked like a mish-mash of animals parts, two different horns, a body and tail that didn’t go together and four different limbs. He was posed oddly, something between a stretch and trying to cover his face.

Discord.

It didn’t need a nameplate, everyone knew who it was.

His rampage didn’t hit Canterlot as hard as it had other places, like Ponyville, but it was hard to forget the pink cotton candy clouds and chocolate rain and marshmallow street stones.

The unicorn shuddered at the memory before quickly trotting after Wish, who had gotten farther ahead while he’d stopped to look at the statue. The dim light of the moon made it look even more monstrous and, if he was going to be honest with himself, more frightening, that it did during the day.

“So how much farther do we need to go?” he asked once he’d caught up to her.

Wish laugh, “Oh you are impatient aren’t you? Just hold your horseshoes a few more minutes. Waiting never killed anyone.”

“I just hope this’ll still count as being on the your side of the barracks,” he said.

“Hey, they don’t need to know you went outside, besides sitting in the common room all night would just get boring. Could you handle staying in your common room all day?”

Chase sighed, “Fair point. I’ll just follow your lead fearless one.”

Wish had to her tongue to do everything she could not to laugh at loud, her shoulders shaking with silent laughter.

Author's Note:

I am so sorry this took so long to get up. Have some, shenanigans in the mean time.