• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 630 Views, 12 Comments

Believe in the Heart of the Moon - HeartlessSpartan



An alicorn has appeared in Ponyville searching for a solution to save Princess Luna from being overcome by Nightmare Moons influence. Princess Luna must make peace with her nightmare.

  • ...
4
 12
 630

Nightmares and Memories

Nightmares and Memories

Twilight returned to Ponyville the night after Blaze had left, and at the same time Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy arrived from Cloudsdale. Meeting each other outside the town hall they were all rather happy. Twilight carried saddlebags of old texts that she had borrowed from the Starswirl library at Canterlot, and Dash shared more stories about her home town while Fluttershy would chime in and say it wasn’t much. There was something about her friends that Twilight noticed after parting for a while. She had somewhat of a greater appreciation for even the little things that make them who they are.

“We should get to Sugarcube corner, Pinkie Pie said she’d make us something when we got back and I’m starving!” Dash said.

“Ok then, I can tell everypony there about what Princess Celestia has tasked me with,” Twilight said as she began walking with the two pegasi.

Ponyville, as always, barely ever had much activity at night. The streets were quiet and clear. The houses were dark and still. However there was still something about the night that was exciting and specific. The walk to Sugarcube corner was rather short and disappointing in a way. When the three ponies arrived inside there was no buffet of sweets set out for their arrival. Now Rainbow Dash was starving and well disappointed. Pinkie Pie and Rarity were waiting there for them anyways.

“Where’s the sweets?” Dash asked, hungry and impatient.

“I didn’t have time to make them tonight, sorry Rainbow Dash,” Pinkie Pie apologized, seeing Dash sigh with disappointment.

“What did Princess Celestia speak with you about Twilight?” Fluttershy asked nervously, normally this sort of thing leads to some form of danger.

“It’s unusual that this would happen, but she wants us to find Princess Luna. It seems she has left the castle without telling anypony where she went,” Twilight said rather worried.

“She’s in town; she likes to stand on the bridge over the creek at night,” Pinkie Pie simply blurted.

“Well that was easy!” Twilight said, quite surprised.

That’s when Rarity stepped in; the others were not in town when Blaze showed up. They don’t even know he exists and that he is actually out searching for them. Not to mention the ongoing question of whether or not to trust him.

“There may be a complication of sorts,” Rarity said.

“It can never be that simple,” Fluttershy muttered.

“The alicorn from the dreams is real, he came looking for us,” Rarity said.

“I knew it! Where is he now?” Twilight asked.

“On a train looking for Applejack,” Pinkie said as she watched Rainbow Dash scour the bakery for something to eat.

“Any idea when they’ll be back?” Twilight asked.

“Hopefully soon,” Rarity said with slight worry.

Twilight wondered why Princess Luna had left the Castle, but now this other alicorn named Blaze from the dreams is here. Perhaps they know each other. Since Twilight accomplished her task for Princess Celestia; it’s time to feed her own curiosity. While she was in Canterlot Twilight gained access to the Starswirl wing of the library. She searched through historical texts but none of them spoke much at all of Luna after her banishment, and the only mention of an alicorn like Blaze was just a legend, a whisper in time; but why? She asked Celstia about it, but she didn’t say much; she simply smiled and referenced a book of filly tales.

“Everypony name off as many filly tales, legends, or holidays they can remember,” Twilight said, figuring that Celestia actually told her where to search.

“What does that matter?” Dash asked, trying to eat but having each treat swiped and eaten by Pinkie Pie.

“When I tried to find out who Blaze is, Celestia told me to read some filly tales. The Mare in the Moon is one we’re all familiar with, but it wasn’t just a story; it was a prediction in that it came true. So what other tales are real?” Twilight asked in wonderment.

“There’s Nightmare Night,” Dash said with a laugh.

“Hearths-warming Eve too,” Fluttershy said.

“The Summer Sun Celebration,” Pinkie Pie said as she went to swipe another treat from Dash but fell over when she moved.

“Sweetie Bell told me of the Love Poison from Hearts and Hooves Day,” Rarity mentioned.

“I remember that Rarity, I had to double check Big Macintosh and Cheerilee were fine, but I’m still not sure if it wore off like it was supposed to,” Twilight recalled with a short laugh.

“How does all of that come together then?” A familiar voice asked.

Spike entered Sugarcube Corner, he looked tired but he was still happy to see Twilight back from Canterlot. He must have stayed up all night waiting for her to come back to the library. It felt as though they hadn’t seen each other for some time, but after even just the few things that happened in a couple of days it seemed to drag on.

“Spike!” Twilight said happily.

“I was waiting at the library but then I noticed Sugarcube corner was still open and I didn’t think a few more doughnuts would hurt,” Spike said.

“There would be if Pinkie Pie would stop eating all of them!” Dash said frustratingly as she watched Pinkie stuff her mouth with sweets and mumble with her mouth full.

“You prove a valid point Spike,” Twilight said.

“What; that doughnuts are delicious?” Rarity asked sarcastically.

“That all of those tales could fit together, and there’s somepony that just might know how. Let’s go talk with Princess Luna,” Twilight said, eager to leave and find out what all of this is about.

The group of ponies remained fairly silent as they left Sugarcube Corner and walked through town. Except when Spike asked Rarity if she really liked doughnuts too; which received some laughs from the others. When they arrived at the bridge that crossed over the creek, Luna was there waiting and looking up at the moon. She seemed more magnificent at night than during the day, it fit her much better. The stars in her mane fit the night’s constellations as it swayed, she didn’t even seem surprised when the group approached her.

“Princess Luna, I wonder if you may help us with something?” Twilight asked.

“My time is short at the moment, but what might you need help with Twilight Sparkle?” Luna asked.

“We were wondering if you can tell us about how the stories from the Summer Sun Celebration, Nightmare Night, Mare in the Moon, Hearths-warming Eve, and the Love Potion of Hearts and Hooves Day originated?” Twilight inquired.

Luna sighed just before she spoke, “The Summer Sun Celebration is a tribute celebration to my sister Celestia. Mare in the Moon and Nightmare night refer to my return. As for the Love Potion, it was an experiment of Starswirl’s that failed to separate true love but resulted in making it absolutely hysterical,” Luna said rather coldly.

“Who were the Prince and Princess in the Love Potion story?” Rarity asked, quite curious.

Luna looked down into the water over the edge and waited a moment. It would come down to history, to her past. Ever since Nightmare Night she had learned that so much of her personal life had been dulled down and formed into stories for children over several centuries. They may be dull filly tales now, but to her, the story of her life is sharp and painful. It took her a moment of silence before she answered the question.

“The Prince in the story refers to Terra, and the Princess was my-self,” Luna said, looking at her reflection in the water below.

“Who’s Terra, and on that matter, who is Blaze anyways?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Blaze is a white alicorn with a fiery mane, has a burning heart as a cutie mark,” Twilight explained.

“You speak of Terra, and yes I do indeed know who he is,” Luna said.

“So Blaze is an alicorn prince named Terra that was romantically involved with Princess Luna over a thousand years ago,” Rarity said to herself in awe.

“Didn’t see that coming!” Rainbow Dash said surprisingly.

Twilight noticed that Princess Luna wasn’t at all amused. As a matter of fact she seemed upset. After all that time in seclusion, all of this must still be difficult for her. It was also difficult for Twilight to prevent herself from asking more questions. This was Equestrian history here, and an unknown Prince Terra. Clearly he wasn’t related to the sisters, how did he rise into royalty, where did he come from, and overall, who is Terra? Twilight stepped up alongside Princess Luna and looked out over the creek with her.

“Terra repeatedly appeared in our dreams, now he’s actually here. We would just like to know who he is?” Twilight asked one last time, knowing this all may be difficult for her.

“Terra was created from the events of what’s called Hearths-warming Eve, he is the alicorn of harmony Twilight Sparkle; that’s why he’s looking for all of you,” Luna said.

“Why appear now after so long?” Twilight asked.

“I have returned, and he knew this. Since my banishment Terra went into and remained in hiding, ashamed of what he had done. Now he comes out of hiding, to help me, and save me from myself,” Luna said sadly.

“You mean Nightmare Moon, the Elements of Harmony saved you from her,” Twilight said, hoping that was the case.

“Your friendship is strong Twilight Sparkle, but this ends with those it started with. I still struggle with Nightmare Moon as she is a part of me,” Luna said softly, and sadly.

Twilight watched as Princess Luna shed a tear down into the still creek. She watched as the ripples faded into the reflection of herself next to Nightmare Moon in the water. Fluttershy was right after all; nothing is ever that simple. This is in fact leading to a dangerous situation, but now there is Terra the alicorn of harmony. There is so much more Twilight wanted to know but this certainly wasn’t the time for more questions.

“I am sorry Princess Luna,” Twilight apologized.

“It is fine Twilight Sparkle, you did nothing wrong. Though you should leave, and if you may, tell my sister that I will be returning to the castle soon. I fear Terra is not the only one who came out of hiding since my return,” Luna said softly.

“I’ll be sure to do that for you Princess,” Twilight said before she walked back to her friends.

The group made their way back into town, leaving Princess Luna in peace, at least what peace she can get. It worried Twilight that they’re going back to what united them in the beginning; her confidence in her friends remains unwavering. It’s bothersome that this is more complicated than it originally was, though it can’t be nearly as annoying as defeating Discord was. However something unusual told her that this was going to be more dangerous, and the Elements of Harmony had a role to play.

“So it’s a trip to Canterlot then?” Rarity asked, always eager to visit the city.

“Yes, we have to let Princess Celestia know what’s happening. We’ll leave as soon as we can tomorrow,” Twilight said.

“What about Applejack?” Fluttershy asked.

“Maybe Terra found her when he got on the train,” Rarity said.

“I think I’ll sit this one out. Besides, if Terra or Applejack come to town I can tell them where everyone went,” Spike bartered, he was too tired, even to go to Canterlot.

“Great Spike, we have a plan then,” Twilight said.

“Do we? I’m still completely lost here!” Rainbow Dash said.

“Me too!” Pinkie Pie chimed in just for the fun of it.

Twilight smiled, even in the midst of imminent danger her friends still manage to see the light side of things. No wonder Terra was looking for them, they truly are the Elements of Harmony themselves. It’s just who they are, and honestly Twilight wouldn’t ever want that to change about them. Even if the elements happen to be emphasized for each one of them including herself. It makes each of them special, even more that they are her friends.