• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 459 Views, 24 Comments

Wings - SkyMunki



The fate of Ponyville is on a rainbow-maned Pegasus' shoulders, and with no wings, no friends and losing all hope, she must look deeper - to the most unlikely friendship that just might save the town.

  • ...
 24
 459

Flight

Fluttershy's cottage was quiet.
It was usually quiet, but today it was oddly silent. It was for this reason that Rainbow Dash went to check on her. She knocked with a cobalt hoof and waited impatiently for an answer.
There wasn't one.
Dash shoved her head against the door and stared through the peephole, but nopony was in.
"Angel! You there?" called Dash.
The door swung open, and the mare looked down to see Fluttershy's pet bunny, Angel. He looked up with an eyebrow raised. "D'you know where Fluttershy is?"
Angel ran across the room and came back with a book in his little paws. He stood infront of Dash and opened it, then shoved his head into the pages, as if reading.
"Ah, she's with Twilight?" Rainbow gathered.
Angel nodded.
"Okay, just checkin'!"
With that, the rainbow-maned pony trotted away. She heard the door shut and looked back, and to her surprise she saw Angel hurrying after her.
"Oh? What's up Angel?" She asked, confused.
Angel rolled his eyes, running alongside her.
"Ah, you're bored without Fluttershy, huh?"
The white rabbit nodded frantically.
"I'm sorry, I'm not really an animal pony..." Rainbow hoofed the ground. Other than her tortoise, Tank, she never really liked animals that much. And cutesy-wootsey bunnies weren't exactly cool. She didn't wanna harm her reputation.
Angel looked up at her with big, sad eyes. He put his hands together in a begging gesture.
"Well actually, I was gonna go for a fly, but-"
Angel nodded excitedly, then jumped a bit.
Rainbow tilted her head, then opened her wings. "You want to come too?" she sighed. She leant sideways and placed one feathered limb down to the bunny, which he then scrambled up. Angel perched at the end of her neck and held onto her mane, smiling with excitement.
Rainbow looked to the side and asked, "You ready for this, squirt? I'm the fastest flyer in equestria, y'know."
Angel held on a little tighter.
Rainbow grinned determinedly and kicked the ground with a hoof, before shooting off in a flurry of colour. The wind pushed against her but she shot through it, so hard that the air collapsed around her, leaving a rainbow-patterned streak when she flew.
Angel was holding on for his life. Being a bunny, his feet had never left the floor, and if they had, they had certainly not broken the cloud barrier. He dared to take a quick peek over Rainbow Dash's blurred wings, and saw a huge stretch of lifeless dark green, and knew at once it was Everfree frost. Fluttershy had told him once about how scary it was. He wondered if she was right, or if she was just being, well, Futtershy.
The thick treetops engulfed a huge section of land, growing darker and darker toward the centre, an eerie mass of mystery and monsters.
Angel turned back to the front and ducked into the mare's mane for fear of falling. In the moment he turned, he saw something that would change his life, and change Ponyville, forever...
It was like a shadow. A blur, a memory of a dark-pelted pony with a cyan mane, zooming past so swiftly that Angel wondered whether he'd actually seen it. But he had, because Rainbow Dash had seen it out of the corner of her eye, and inclined her head slightly to catch a clearer glimpse. As she did so, Angel did too. The dark pony turned back and stared with crystal eyes, that seemed to paralyse Rainbow Dash. And then, the shadow pony was gone.

Angel yelled out to the mare but it was too late, and they were falling. Rainbow gasped but she couldn't move a muscle and they were being pulled down to the ground fast - and they were right above the centre of Everfree Forest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Her eyes were shut when she regained consciousness. Not that it made any difference when they were open. It was pitch black. She couldn't work out where she was, until she felt some tiny paws on her arm. All of a sudden Dash remembered the fall, and the shadow pony. She attempted to pull herself up, and found that her limbs had recovered most senses of feeling. All her limbs, that was, but her wings.
As her magenta eyes adjusted to what little moonlight shone through the trees, Dash could just about see the sparkling eyes of a terrified bunny about a foot from her snout. She nudged him off.
"Personal bubble." She muttered, propping herself onto her elbows and craning her sore neck to check out her wings.
She let out a small scream, then began rubbing her hoof against her bare back.
"My wings!" she wailed. "Where are my wings?"
Angel scurried behind her and began searching for her wings.
"It was her." Dash suddenly realised, two crystal eyes appearing in her mind. "She stole my wings."
Angel didn't know what to say, not that Rainbow would understand him anyway. So he just sat beside her, totally useless.
"Without my wings... I'm not a Pegasus anymore... I'm not... Me..."
Rainbow felt so empty. The danger of the forest surrounding them felt like nothing compared to this. She stayed there, completely still, covered in cuts and bruises, for what felt like hours. The beats of the forest must have sensed her loss, for nothing came near the two. Not once.

It was a long time later, that Rainbow decided on her way to deal with it.
"We'll get em back." Dash exclaimed.
Angel jumped at the sudden announcement, then immediately turned to listen to her.
"We're getting my wings back no matter what, okay? And, to do that, we gotta get out of here." Dash continued. "We'll do it together, I guess."
The bunny jumped up and nodded enthusiastically. We'll get them back, he chirped.

Author's Note:

Okay, let's see how this is received. I just started writing and this came from my fingers. Around this, I built a plan, then wrote a description, and here we are. I hope you like this, there's plenty more to come~