• Published 3rd Apr 2013
  • 456 Views, 5 Comments

Crystal Heart - TLSpark



THIS STORY IS CANCELLED! No one knows for sure as to where the Crystal Empire came to be the shining light that it is today. Only the last Good King knows. Listen to his tale of love, Power, and a Crystal Heart.

  • ...
 5
 456

Love

Words. They have proved time and again to be weapons of war. Harmless little sounds that may influence even the greatest of warriors to fall. Seemingly irrelevant noises can rally the troops for battle, or end it in an instant. Words can even make an old broken soul rise up from the ashes to fight again.

Then why is it that the most influential words of all are only a few letters long? Words like Hope?

And Help.

Love.

Hate.

Words like these usually don't have much meaning, but to some, they can make all the difference. Even to somepony who has it all can learn to keep these words close to their hearts.

Ponies like me.

I won't lie to you here. Words like these never gave me such emotions as they do now. As they did then. Even saying them here wakes up memories of old that I know will haunt me for years to come. Huh..."haunt" is such a drab "word". These memories don't just haunt me. They plague my self conscious for days at a time.

"Plague" is a much better "word" don't you think?

Yeah...I thought as much...

And the memories...they won't ever leave me alone...been so long since I even let them come to me as a complete memory...maybe now is a good time as any to do just that....

***

"LEAVE ME ALONE!"

"but...son..."

"DON'T CALL ME THAT! YOU'RE NOT MY FATHER!"

The aging unicorn opened his mouth to say something else, but he could tell that the tiny filly would hear nothing of it. He lowered his head and left the child's room once more. He would try again tomorrow to win the young colt's heart, and he would try again the day after that. It was a futile battle though. The filly would hear nothing of the stallion, whom he had blamed for the death of his mother.

He would stay in this state for weeks, perhaps even months, and yet the stallion still tried. The young filly stood where he had been when confronting the stallion, tears threatening his eyes once more, but he again forced them back. He had learned that if he had started to cry too soon, then the servants would come to try to make him feel better, but they would always make it worse despite their efforts.

The filly stayed where he was until he was sure that he was alone. He then walked over to his massive bed, one that was far too big for such a little colt, and he flopped onto its covers. Only then did he let out his tears. Only then did he open up his heart.

The filly cried into the bed for a long time, being careful to muffle his sobs. He didn't move from that spot on his bed until he heard the faintest of hoof steps in the hall outside.

She was coming.

The little filly immediately jumped off of the covers and dived beneath the bed. He didn't want to be caught by her again. The last time she did that, she had tried to comfort him. Of course she made it worse, like the others, by trying to get him to "Open up". He didn't like that. Not at all.

The door to the bedroom silently swung open, and she came in. The little colt didn't know what she was doing this time, but he didn't dare take a peak in case she spotted him. Tiny hooves came into view and slowly walked across the room. He could tell that she had something balanced on her back, but he again resisted to take a look. He hoped she wouldn't find him, he hoped she would leave soon. The young colt usually hid inside the closet when she came, but she had come early this time. He hadn't been prepared.

She was half way across the room when she stumbled. A white cup fell off her back and clattered to the ground. It rolled straight under the bed.

Well...there goes THAT hope.

"Oops..." squeaked a small voice. She then set whatever else she had brought and set it on the bed. A little light brown hoof appeared under the bed. It prodded the ground around it, and when it didn't find the cup, it reached farther under the bed, and then her face appeared.

"AAAAAAAAAH!"

She jumped back from the bed and behind a table, her tiny wings quivering. The little colt stayed where he was, thinking she would leave, but he was wrong. She looked closer under the bed after a while and recognized him, and, instead of apologizing to him for intruding, she yelled at him. Loudly.

"WHAT are you DOING under there?! You nearly gave me a HEART ATTACK!" she yelled at him. The colt was at first shocked to hear this, but then he just grew mad. He crawled out from under the bed and puffed out his chest.

"I don't have to explain myself," he shot back, "Yet I should be asking the same of you! I thought I told the servants to keep you out!"

"But why would they do THAT?"

"Because I'm the prince!"

"Oh you ARE? Gee, I didn't know that. I also didn't know you had such a BIG HEAD!"

"WHAT?!" The small colt was getting angry now. He didn't know who this girl thought she was, but he knew one thing. He didn't like her. The colt looked her over, like he had done the first time, and watched in amusement at her discomfort. He saw her light brown body shift away from him in disgust while her wings flared open. Her eyes were a faint orange among her dark mane that had fallen in front of her face, yet they seemed to be furious with him.

"You heard me!" she said after a while, "You have a big head! What does the prince want? For me to leave? Well that just doesn't happen! Not everypony will just bow down to you and willingly do whatever you say you know! You'd better get it through that thick skull of yours that being a prince doesn't mean you'll-"

"I NEVER ASKED FOR THIS!" yelled the colt, his blue eyes giving away his true emotions. He blushed, realizing what he was doing, and looked down, strands of sky blue hair dangling to the sides of his vision. The colt saw his grey hooves slightly shaking, and he was pretty sure that he couldn't stop it, even with a little magic from the horn atop his head.

He spun around, not wanting to look at the little pegasus that was still staring at him. It was then that he spotted what she had brought with her today. Normally, she might bring a wooden toy or a small book. But today she had brought something different.

It was a small jug of some steaming drink on a platter. Curious, the colt came up to it and popped the top. A wonderful aroma of hot chocolate drenched his nose. The colt stared into the brown drink, and noticed a piece of paper on the platter as well. He picked it up and quickly read it. It wasn't much. Only two words.

This'll help

Not sure what to make of this, he turned around to question the young pegasus, only to find that she was darting out the door.

"Hey!" He said, dropping the note and chasing after her, "Wait!"

She wouldn't do this though, nor did she seem to care. The colt chased after her throughout the expansive castle. Around corners, through halls, even past a few startled servants, and yet he still chased her, all the while hollering, "Wait!"

It wasn't until he had chased her into the thrown room that they were both stopped with a single resounding, "HALT!"

At this word, they both did as they were ordered and turned towards the voice, only to find themselves face to face with the same stallion that had been in the colt's room earlier that day. He seemed to be signing paperwork in his thrown, his dark brown coat slightly hidden in his royal cape. He set down the quill that was in his mouth and rubbed his blank forehead at this new disturbance, a faint smile appearing on his mug. An earth pony King should not have to deal with such disruptions, but it was always interesting when he did.

Startled at this new development, the children did the only thing a filly would do in this situation. They blamed each other.

"She snuck into my room!"

"He scared me!"

"She called me big headed!"

"He wouldn't listen!"

"No, YOU wouldn't listen!"

"No, YOU WOU-"

"Enough!" ordered the King. The fillies both stopped yelling, yet they still stood there glaring at each other. The King gave a slight chuckle before getting off his thrown and going towards the children. The colt thought that she would get in trouble now because of him and felt a little bad. Needless to say he was startled when he saw him stand behind the girl.

"Valiant," he said, "I do believe you just met my daughter, Twinkle."

The colt named Valiant dropped his jaw and stared at the now embarrassed princess. The King gave another chuckle.

"I thought I would introduce you two once you...got more used to me...but I see that won't happen now..." The King placed a thoughtful hoof to his chin before a smile crept across his face, "Actually..." before either of the children knew what was happening, the King was pushing his pegasus daughter towards the unicorn prince. When they were once again face to face, the King stood to the side and said, in an exaggerated royal voice, "Prince Valiant, I would like for you to meet my daughter, Princess Twinkle."

When the fillies didn't do anything, as shocked as they were, the King raised their hooves for them and soon got them to shake. Seeing the King do something as silly as this, some of the servants started to giggle. Their laughing got a bit contagious, for the two fillies, and even the King, began to laugh themselves.

So mirthful was their laughter, that what happened next COMPLETELY caught them off guard. I mean, REALLY how could it not! This next part was so startling, so unexpected, SO RIVETING, that there isn't a SINGLE word to describe just how SHOCKED everypony would be that even DRAGONS would shiver and quake at the mere mention of-

"OK! Hold it RIGHT THERE bucko!"

***

"Bucko? Did you REALLY just call me-"

"Only way to stop you from doing..... whatever it was you were doing."

"I was telling the climax of an endearing tale between a prince and a princess!" The light brown pegasus rolled her orange eyes and made a stupid face at her childhood friend, her dark mane blowing in the wind. The grey unicorn stared innocently at her with blue eyes, his own sky blue hair held tightly to his head with his tiny crown.

"Oh whatever! I don't care how you put it, being grounded for interrupting my dad's work isn't RIVETING as you were trying to put it."

"Well HE didn't ground us! It was some of servants that were supposed to keep an eye on us. They weren't doing a good enough job then, just like now!" Valiant said with a slight smirk. He sat back and leaned his head against the roof that the two ponies were on. Twinkle did the same, opening her wings to let the sun warm them. "Wow...did we get in trouble or what!" Valiant suddenly said, looking over at Twinkle.

"Yeah...but that didn't stop us from sneaking out to talk again." she replied. A smile appeared on her face, only to vanish as soon as it had come. She prayed that he didn't see it.

"Yep!" Valiant agreed, oblivious to her unease. He didn't speak for a while after that, and Twinkle didn't respond. They simply watched the warm sun slowly lower towards the west. The two of them were atop one of the highest towers in the palace, a tower that was rarely used, if at all. Behind the spire of the tower's roof that they were laying on was the highest part of the castle that only the King knew how to get to on hoof.

"I..." Valiant tried to say, but he changed his mind and closed his mouth. Twinkle, however, turned her head towards him with a questionable look. Valiant sighed and continued, his earlier smile now replaced with a thoughtful frown.

"I can't believe it's been eight years..."

"Eight years since what Val?" Twinkle asked, using her nickname of her friend.

"Eight years since we 'met' Twinky," he responded, using his own nickname of her.

"Has it really been that long? Only feels like yesterday that we were trying to prank one of the nobles..."

"Yeah...." Valiant replied, but then he smiled again and looked at Twinkle with sparkling eyes, "Wait...we WERE doing that yesterday."

"OH YEAH!" Twinkle exclaimed in a hearty response that was considered unbecoming of a princess. The two friends laughed for a while at that, but soon stopped when their stomachs began to growl in hunger. They regretfully stood up from their perch and went to the roof's hatch to get back to the balcony below. Once there, they wordlessly replaced their royal robes, Twinkle replacing her tiara, and went down the halls to dine with the King.

After walking for a bit, Valiant started to shift around in discomfort over something. Twinkle saw this and patiently waited for him to speak his mind.

"So..." he finally said, "Whatever happened to that...date of yours....the other night..." This had obviously been bothering him for a while. Twinkle slowed her pace and put on an annoyed look.

"Oh same ol' same ol' I guess...what do you think?" She impatiently replied.

"I think it went badly?" Valiant replied back.

"Exactly! This guy had to be one of the most sucker-upish stallions I had ever met! I mean, he wouldn't shut up about my mane!" She sat on her haunches and placed her forehooves to her face in mock admiration.

"OOh PRINCESS!" She started to say in an exaggerated voice, "Your MANE is so BEAUTIFUL this evening! The way it FLOWS in the wind, is perfect. How it dazzles in the sun is RADIANT! And don't get me STARTED on how it shines in the moonlight tonight!" She slammed her hooves down and stuck her tongue out in disgust. Valiant couldn't hold in his laughter anymore. He fell over laughing, and kicked his robes out of the way to reveal his cutie mark of a shield that was colored like a magical barrier like the ones that he was so adept at making.

Twinkle saw how her act had made her friend laugh and started to giggle along with him. Eventually, Valiant caught his breath and was helped up by Twinkle. He caught sight of her own cutie mark of golden sparkles. She claimed this meant that she loved her subjects, but Valiant always teased her about it meaning that she just liked fireworks. Which was true. Twinkle simply adored fireworks of all kinds. She said that they reminded her of her mother.

"In all seriousness though," Valiant said with a concerned face after they continued to walk towards the dining hall, "Why did you have to go on a date with that guy again?"

"Dad wants me to go out and meet more stallions....this was one of his attempts to get me more interested...I don't know why he bothers though...."

"OK I get that, but why HIM?"

"Oh...well he won a jousting competition and that date was apparently his prize. Or something like that."

"You're not sure?"

"I don't really care."

"Twinkle...you're...WE'RE almost eighteen! You'll have to choose someday...."

"And what if I don't want to!" She exclaimed, rounding on her friend, "I still don't even know why YOU can't just be the next King!" Valiant stumbled, shocked by what she had said, but he regained it and stared into Twinkle's eyes.

"I can't because I'm not even related to you or ....the King..."

"And can't you just call him dad already?! He DID raise you!"

"He's not my dad. He's YOURS. I never even knew my own father! And my mother...well you know..." Valiant broke eye contact and stared at the ground. Twinkle knew she had made a mistake by bringing up family then, but she forged on.

"Val...what happened to your mother was...IS unfair. And you're very fortunate to have been taken in by my father, the KING no less, and to take care of you for all these years. And if it's any consolation...I never knew my mother either...she died before I even met her...."

The two friends stared hard into each other's eyes for a time. Another loud grumble from Valiant's stomach brought them back to reality though.

"Come on...let's go eat," Twinkle said with an amused smile. Valiant smiled too and led the way once more towards the dining hall. The tensions from earlier trickling away, like it never happened in the first place.

"I have to ask though," Valiant said when the dining hall came into view, "Has there ever been a guy you actually liked?"

"Well...there was that ONE guy..." Twinkle said with another smile.

"Really? Who?"

"Oh just some stallion from another land. He was the son of some important Duke in Dad's court. I had fun speaking with him though. He had to leave after our first date though. Something about an uprising I think."

"An uprising? Weird. What was this land called?"

"It was a separate province from us. I forget it's name though....hey, what's going-"

"Announcing Princess Twinkle and Prince Valiant!" Trumpets blared in an authoritative way. Several nobles bowed to the two shocked ponies, several sighing with relief. Apparently, they had been waiting for them.

"Wha-what's this about?" Valiant asked.

"This..." Spoke a loud voice from the table, "Is dinner. With guests. Where have you two been?"

"Father...what-" Twinkle stopped her question short when she saw who the guests were. Next to the aging King sat three ponies. Two of them were clearly as old as him, but the third was a much younger stallion. He was a blue earth pony and had a small crown on his head, similar to the ones that Twinkle and Valiant had on.

He was a prince. Well...he was dressed like one at least.

"Dreaden? Is that you?" Twinkle asked. Not waiting for a reply, she raced down the steps and nearly tackled the blue prince to the ground. Valiant quickly followed.

"I take it that THIS is the guy you were talking about?" He asked once he got there. Twinkle stood away from her embrace of the startled Dreaden and happily nodded her head. The King walked up next to Valiant and explained that a Diamond Dog uprising in their province had made it impossible for the duke's family to live there anymore. He had heard about their plight for years and would always offer to send them troops and supplies, but they would refuse. Now though, they chose to accept his offer of help.

"They will live here until the uprising has been quelled." The King finished while polishing off a piece of bread. The six of them had begun to eat by that time. Valiant was sitting to his right while Twinkle sat to his left next to Dreaden. His parents sat next to him, leaving Valiant to be alone on his side of the table with only the King to talk to. He had been explaining the reasons behind this sudden turn of events to Valiant.

"I see..." Valiant said. He glanced up at Twinkle and saw her listening at Dreaden, who was telling her of his home. She noticed Valiant's stare and smiled to him in reassurance and turned back to the other stallion, "Dreaden...such an interesting name..."

"It's supposed to be a name of great power." The King told him, "Even so, he's a fine lad."

"For his home or for Twinkle?" Valiant asked. He didn't like the feeling he was getting in his gut.

"Why Valiant...do you have a crush on my daughter?" The King asked in a stern voice.

"WHAT? N-NO! I don't like Twinky like-like that at-"

"Whoa there son...I was only joking!" The King said in his usual mirthful tone, "Although...Having those kind of feelings isn't-"

"My King! Twinkle is like my sister! I couldn't-well I could, but-" The King chuckled at this and lay a hoof on Valiant's shoulder.

"I know this is a hard topic for you, but you two aren't really related. It would be strange, true, but it wouldn't be wrong."

"I...er..." The grey unicorn prince thought about his and the princess's earlier conversation and smiled, "Whatever you say... Dad," The King's eyes widened at this, but he didn't say anything. He just smiled more warmly and turned back to his meal. Valiant looked up at Twinkle and thought about his feelings for her. He knew he liked her as a friend and would protect her with his life if he needed to, but could he really love her?

He shook his head and continued eating, but one thought edged its way into his head before he could.

Would she even love him back?

***

"Would you just marry him already?"

"Val. I keep telling you, I can't."

"And yet you never explain why..."

"I have my reasons."

The Prince and the Princess of the Crystal Empire were standing around the prince's room. It was late in the evening and it was after dinner, so neither of them were in any royal clothing. They weren't even wearing their head pieces.

"Twinky, it's been three years. You've been seeing him off and on again like it wasn't even an issue. And believe me, he complains. A lot. ESPECIALLY to me."

"Oh you exagerater you...I'm sure he's fine. Not like we're to be wed anytime soon."

"You're twenty one years old!"

"So?"

"He can't even go home anymore! Not only that, but I DON'T want to be stuck listening to him complain for the rest of my life."

"Can we just change the subject now?" Twinkle was getting annoyed at her friend. Her wings were drawn open and she was shooting her eyes at Valiant like daggers.

Valiant summoned a magic barrier in the shape of a shield and pointed it at the enraged princess.

"OK OK! Cool it with those things. I mean sheesh! If looks could kill!" Twinkle couldn't help but smile at this and snapped her wings shut again. The hairs on her light brown coat laying down again.

"Fine...It's just...I don't know if I'm ready for something like that..." Valiant lowered the shield and frowned at her.

"Dad would want you to rule the empire with a king rather than without one. I'm sure of it."

"....how....how is he?"

"Last I checked, he was fine..."

"Val. You're my...my best friend. I know when you're lying." Valiant flinched when she said 'Friend', but at least he was her best.

"Are you sure you want to know?"

"Positive. He's our father after all."

"....if you're sure..." Valiant turned around and went to the bedside table. From within it, he drew out a sealed scroll and levitated it to Twinkle. She wore a confused look on her face.

"He said to give you this a few days ago...but you were upset at the time from...Him."

"Wha-It's not your business to keep letters from me! And I wasn't upset!"

"You were crying in your room. Don't you dare deny it either! And I think I know why..."

"It's not-"

"Dreaden tried to propose to you again, didn't he..." Tears were welling up in her eyes at this, giving Val his answer. He didn't know why she did this, only that she only did when he tried to win her heart again.

"He can't go back home you know. His whole castle was blown up. I'm not saying I particularly like the guy either, but still..."

"Just...give me the letter..."

"Now I'm not too sure..."

"Give me the letter,"

"You're upset though. Maybe I-"

"GIVE ME MY LETTER!" Valiant dropped it in front of her without another comment. Twinkle brushed aside her dark mane before popping the seal and reading the letter. As time went on, her eyes got wider and wider. She put a hoof to her mouth as a single tear rolled down her cheek. Valiant waited for her to tell him what was in the letter, but she instead rolled it up again and went over to the window.

Not sure what else to do, Valiant walked to her side and stared outside with her. The crystal like houses that expanded before them sparkled in the twilight of the evening. Regular ponies of all three races wandered about below, either to get home or to run an errand, neither of them knew, but they did know that the sight before them was breathtaking. Maybe Twinkle's cutie mark actually made sense after all.

"He's dying...." Twinkle muttered.

"It's...not THAT bad..."

"Oh shut it. You know it's true! You've seen him! I'm not even allowed in the same room as him!" More tears appeared in Twinkle's eyes.

"His sickness is...unique...and he doesn't want to scare you..."

"Oh, like a broken face will scare me! I want to see my father!" She screamed at Valiant, making him stumble backwards and trip over a chair. Twinkle advanced on him.

"But-"

"But WHAT! My father is dying and you knew it! Why didn't you tell me!"

"Dad wanted to tell you himself,"

"So why didn't he!"

"It was his wish that you didn't see him like...he is. A letter was the only way to-"

"Only way to WHAT?! To break my heart?! I WANT TO SEE HIM!"

"BUT YOU CAN'T!" Valiant jumped up and took hold of her shoulders.

"His sickness started three years ago. Since then, his body has been slowly turning to crystal. Any strain he gets might cause his body to break apart. Don't you see Twinkle? If you go and see him now, it might be the end for him! He'll DIE!"

Twinkle stared at her friend for a long time. Neither of them moved.

"I don't want to see you get hurt like that. I don't want to see you fall apart like I once did. Seeing one's parent die right in front of them is a TERRIBLE ordeal. You're my best friend, and aside from Dreaden, my ONLY friend! I need you to keep your head, not only for your country, but because....... I LOVE YOU!"

Valiant suddenly blushed at that. He hadn't meant to say that. The heat of the moment was too much. He let go of Twinkle and turned his back to her. He didn't know what to say.

"You...love me?"

"Er...I guess...I always have...."

"Val..."

Valiant walked to his bed. The covers were a complete mess, the pillows were everywhere and he was pretty sure that there was a bowl of chips on the floor. He started to wonder whether or not he should have cleaned up before Twinkle came.

"Val?"

"Forget it."

"Val I-"

"Could you just forget it? I....I didn't know what...."

"I love you too."

"I...wait what?" Valiant turned around and looked right at Twinkle. Her face was just as red as his was.

"I...love you..." she said again. The embarrassed princess showed him the letter then. Valiant hesitantly levitated it towards him and read it.

"Erm...could you...read that out loud?"

"Um...sure..." Valiant cleared his throat and began to read.

To my daughter,

Twinkle, by the time that you're reading this, then I am either dying or already dead. I pray that Valiant has given you this letter, though I'm pretty sure he will.

My daughter...my illness...it has a very peculiar way of working. It began deep inside of me, slowly turning my insides to crystal. Now, it has spread to most of my body. I am now quite fragile, even my face has been broken. I'm not sure how I got it but the doctors assure me that it is not contagious. Even so, I don't want you to see me in this state. At least not yet.

Please understand that I am not long for this world. YOU must take the thrown next. If you do not, then THEY will...

I wish for you to find a husband. This may sound hard, but there is a certain stallion, and a prince at that, that will always be there for you. To protect you. He has been there for you for years and he will stand by you, no matter your decision.

Valiant, my son, if you are hearing this, then please take care of my daughter. If this may seem impossible, then protect our land, our home, from danger.

I wish you both to be happy, no matter what the future may bring.

Valiant finished the letter with tears in his eyes. Parts of the letter didn't make any sense, but the rest rang true to his heart. He looked at Twinkle and saw her crying, like him.

The prince dropped the letter and pulled the princess close to him in a warm embrace. Neither of them spoke for a long time.

"We'll get through this...I promise..." Valiant said.

"I know we will..." Twinkle replied back.

"I love you, you know that?"

"I love you too..."

They stayed in their embrace for a long time. The sun outside slowly lowered itself beyond the mountains, making the room dark. Neither the prince nor the princess cared, nor did they hear the low grunt from just outside.

Off in the hall, a silent figure stepped away from the door. He had wanted to speak with the princess, but he knew he couldn't now. He knew he couldn't win over her heart.

The figure slowly crept away, a dark feeling rising in his chest.

"I hate you Valiant..." He muttered when he turned down some stairs. He stalked into a dark room and slammed his hoof into the ground.

"I HATE YOU!"

Author's Note:

Wrote this forever ago and chapter 2 is giving me trouble.

Leave a comment of what you think of it so far. If enough of you like it, I may be determined enough to finish the next chapter.

~TLSpark (NOT a parody of "Twilight Sparkle" mind you. I've been pestered enough about that already)