• Published 16th Jan 2013
  • 7,246 Views, 53 Comments

Twilight's Sleepless Nights - L_Wolf



Twilight tries to perform an experiment that goes wrong and she starts to have bad dreams about what could have happen.

  • ...
6
 53
 7,246

Bad dreams (Revised V2)

Day 3

Morning

Spike had been up for a while now. He noticed Twilight was still asleep when he woke up and sighed as he got out of his bed, and went to check on her. He noticed she had her head covered with her blanket and blinked. But he left her alone as he went downstairs to start his morning routine thereby letting her sleep in again. He wouldn't admit it to her, but he had woken up a few times during the night from her cries of panic in her sleep. "You'll tell me on your own when you’re ready, Twi" he murmured softly, as he started his chores.

Twilight groaned softly, as she slowly woke up, still hiding her under blanket. She did manage to fall asleep again after the dream, but it took a while. She didn't sleep very well after that, she tossed and turned most of the night while having other nightmares, but none stuck out or woke her up like the first. She moved to get up from the bed, and went into her bathroom looking at herself in the mirror. The rough night had left her a mess. She floated up her brush, and started to brush out her mane. She then splashed her face with some cold water and took a deep breath.

Spike looked over at Twilight as she came down the stairs, and smiled at her pleasantly, "Good morning Twilight, did you sleep well?" He asked, having already finished half his chores before she woke up, and came down the stairs. He knew she had a rough night, but decided to give her a chance to tell him. "How about some breakfast, do you want your usual wheat toast and tea?" He asked, as he headed into the kitchen.

Twilight followed after Spike into the kitchen "Yes ... I slept well." She lied, not sounding convincing even to herself, Spike just frowned softly to himself. He knew she had a rough night since she had woken him up. And it showed in her features, and even though she had cleaned herself up, she still looked as if she hadn't gotten a lot of sleep.

He poured her a cup of tea, and set it down on the table for her, before starting to make her the toast she always had. But she stopped him. "Actually Spike, I think I want some pancakes today." She decided, as Spike gave her a confused and worried look.

"Well, alright Twilight, if that's what you want," he replied, as he starts to make the pancakes instead. He wondered what had her so upset. The sleepless nights and late mornings was one thing, but she only requested pancakes if she had a particularly bad dream or nightmare. "Are you sure you’re okay Twilight?" He asked, as he finished mixing the batter, after which he greased a pan with some butter, and poured some of the batter into it.

"I'm fine Spike, really. You don’t need to worry about me." She reassured him as she smiled at him while trying to look sincere. She took a drink of her tea, and breathed in the smell of the pancakes as Spike cooked. Looking over at him as he worked, she smiled again and sighed softly before she spoke again. "Just a bad dream is all. Everything is alright," she repeated as she tried to convince herself as much as him.

Spike wasn't convinced it was just a simple bad dream, she had those before and they never bothered her this badly. He put the pancakes on a plate, as they got done and brought them over, placing them on the table with some butter, and a selection of syrups and jams. "If you say so Twilight..." he muttered while looking up at her with a worried smile. "But you know if anything is bothering you, you can tell me. I am your number one assistant after all, I’m always here for you." He smiled at her again, before leaving the kitchen to finish his chores.

After Spike had left the room, she sighed softly to herself. "Oh Spike … ." She shook her head and used her magic to add a bit of butter to the pancakes, and then some boysenberry syrup. She then started to eat. "Mmm these are good." She smiled, as she enjoyed the taste. Pancakes had always lifted her spirits when she was down, ever since she was little and had been scared of monsters getting her in the night.

She ate quietly as she thought on her new monster, the nightmares plaguing her dreams. She couldn't figure out why they kept coming, and what they meant since all her studies on dream analysis turned up little. At least nothing that would help her with her problem. She had experiments go bad before, and had even gotten herself hurt , but she never had bad dreams about those.

After she had finished the pancakes, she put the dishes away in the sink, and the syrups and jellies back in the fridge along with the butter. She then started making her way out into the main hall. As she did so, she heard a knock at the front door and tilted her head, "Wonder who that could be at this time of the morning. I’ll get it Spike" She called to him, as she went to answer it, her magic opening the door.

She saw Fluttershy standing at the entrance of the library, and smiled at her. "Oh, good morning Twilight." Her shy friend greeted with a kind smile. Twilight moved to let her come inside, and closed the door behind her once she was in. "How are you feeling this morning?" Fluttershy asked as politely as ever, while going to take a seat near by.

"Good morning Fluttershy, I am doing very well this morning. How about yourself, did the sleepover go well?" Twilight asked as she went to join her with a friendly smile. She took a seat across from Fluttershy and settled down. She was glad to have the company, and a distraction from her dream.

"It went very well Twilight, thank you for your suggestion and the book. It helped a lot," Fluttershy said while taking the book from her saddle bag so Twilight could put it away. "We had a lot fun, and they didn't complain or sneak out after bedtime this time around." Fluttershy continued and then smiled again.

"I am glad it helped Fluttershy, so no trouble with those little fillies?" Twilight asked as she used her magic to levitate the book, and put it back on the shelf. "I am definitely glad they did not sneak out into the Everfree Forest again." Twilight said, as she smiled back.

"No trouble at all, they were perfect little angels." Fluttershy answered, with a big smile and nod. "I am glad I could help Rarity out again." Fluttershy said, and then paused as she looked at Twilight, she noticed how tired she looked. "Are you sure you’re okay Twilight? You don't look like you've gotten enough sleep." She asked, her voice full of concern.

"I am glad they did not cause any trouble this time." Twilight answered and then smiled. "Huh? Oh yes — I am great, I just had a long night is all. Do not worry about me Fluttershy." Twilight answered, she chose to lie, but she knew Fluttershy would be worried if she mentioned she had a nightmare.

"Well, alright Twilight, if you say you’re alright. Just try to get some rest, I really should get back to my animals now though." Fluttershy said, with a nod as she arose. She still looked concerned about Twilight though. "Thank you again for the book." Fluttershy smiled, as she started for the door.

"I will Fluttershy.." Twilight nodded, and arose with Fluttershy. She followed her to door, and used her magic to open it for Fluttershy. "Your welcome Fluttershy. Any time you need help, let me know." She smiled watching Fluttershy leave before she closed the door behind her.

Day 3

Afternoon

Twilight studied at her desk after Fluttershy left, she had only been at it for about an hour when she started to feel drowsy. Her lack of sleep had started to catch up to her. She felt her head as it grew heavier and heavier and her eyes started to close. She fought it back as best she could before she laid down on the cushion, curled up in front of her desk, and drifted off to sleep. It wasn't long before she started to dream again.


Her eyes slowly started to open after the impact from the magic the guard had shot at her. Quickly she lifted her head, and jumped to her hooves to look around. She found she was in a small cage, just enough room to turn around in, but not much else. The cage was being loaded up onto a cart led by two earth pony royal guards ready to pull it. Four unicorn royal guards surrounded the cart and used their magic to levitate the cage up, and onto the back of it.

She tried to focus her magic, but instead she felt an intense pain, and gave a sharp cry holding her head with her hooves. She looked up, and saw something clamped to her horn, and shook her head trying to get it off. She recognized it as a magic nullification clamp, which she was unable to remove.

She started to panic, and turned around in circles inside the cage in the back of the cart, as it was being taken through the streets of Ponyville to the train station. As she turned she could see ponies had lined the streets to watch. Some had looks of surprise, others had looks of sadness at what had happened. A few, but not many, turned their noses up and turned around as a sign of disrespect for the accused.

One of the unicorn royal guards saw her, as she turned around in panic inside the cage making it wobble on the cart. "Settle down in there!" His horn glowed threateningly, and Twilight settled down. She sat back down in the cage, and took a slow deep breath. Tears started to roll down her cheeks, and she wondered how everything ended up like this.

The cart came to a stop, and she looked up and out of the cage. She saw her friends as they stood on the platform along with more guards. She couldn't bring herself to make eye contact with them, as the cart was turned around and pushed back against the platform. She kept her eyes down as magic encased it, and floated it up into the train car. The four unicorn guards went into the car and stood around the cage to watch over it.

Her friends moved to stand in front of the open doorway of the train car, and looked in on her, their eyes full of sorrow. She finally looked up at her friends, tears rolling down her cheeks, as she saw them. Pinkie Pie couldn't contain herself and openly cried. Fluttershy and Rarity also had tears freely rolling down their cheeks. Applejack and Rainbow Dash had been able to contain themselves a little better, but not by much.

She felt her heart sink as the door started to close, her friends disappeared one by one as they door hid them from her sight. Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack, and finally Rainbow Dash. The door made a thudding sound, as the door finally closed shut, and the lock clasping shut. She whispered out to her friends, "I'm ... sorry, goodbye."


Day 3

Evening

She sat up quickly and looked around as she panted hard, and blinked a few times. She found herself at her desk, and shook her head again as she tried to calm herself down, as she wondered what was going on. The dream seemed to just start right back up like a book, it continued where it left off. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes for a few minutes before she got up. She looked out the window to see what time of day it was.

It was already dark outside, Spike was asleep and it seemed late, so she went to the kitchen to get herself something to eat since she was hungry. She wasn't sure how long she had been asleep, but if Spike was asleep, then it must have been for a while. She got herself some tea, and made herself a quick dinner of a salad with apple slices. She brought it to the table, and sat down to eat. Her mind was still on her recent recurring nightmares. "What is going on?" She asked herself quietly.

The more she went over it in her mind, the less she could come up with any logical reasons for the dreams and the way they progressed. "It is almost like, I am living two lives ... this life where everything is fine. And another life in my dreams where everything went wrong." She frowned after she said that out aloud. It wasn't logical and sounded pretty farfetched. "No, that is impossible. Get ahold of yourself Twilight, it is just a dream." She told herself, before she got up and put the dishes in the sink.

She made her way out of the kitchen and started up the stairs to her bedroom. Even though she had just woken up she was still pretty tired. That dream had taken a lot out of her. She crawled into bed and got up under the covers as she snuggled down and closed her eyes. "I just need a good nights sleep ... that is all," she told herself as she started to doze off.


"Spike … " She whispered softly to herself, as she closed her eyes, tears rolling down her cheeks. She opened her eyes and looked at the floor of her cage, and took a deep breath. She looked at the guards stationed around her in the train cart. They had been there to make sure she didn't escape, and make sure her friends didn't try to rescue her.

She recognized the small gold crest on their uniforms marking them as the elite, best of the best of the unicorn guard, trained specifically for dealing with the worst of the worst. Even if she could use her magic, she knew she wouldn't have a chance of escape with them around. They would be able to easily track her if she teleported away. She gave a soft sigh and looked back at the floor of her cage again.

She sat quietly, as the train made its way to Canterlot. It was a pretty quick trip from Ponyville to Canterlot by train. She looked up as the train came to a stop at the station, and winced a bit as the door to the train car she was in opened, the bright light flooding in hurt her eyes. The train car had been kept pretty dim. She felt magic around her as the cage was lifted up, carried out, and placed on the back of another cart.

Twilight looked around the train station of Canterlot, and then over at the two large earth pony guards hooked up to the cart that started to pull the her out of the station and into the city. Looking up she saw it was mid-evening. She was starting to get pretty scared. She had never been in any real trouble like this before. "Wh- what’s going to happen to me?" She asked any of the guards that would answer her.

"No talking, criminal." came the short, gruff reply of a unicorn royal guard. He seemed to be the leader, and had been with her since Ponyville, he had also been the one that shot her. "For now, you're going to a holding cell in the castle. After Princess Celestia is informed, you'll stand trial for your crimes." The guard then went firm and quiet again.

They took her through the center of Canterlot to the castle. Ponies lined either side of the street. Crime of any kind was pretty rare in Equestria, so a public display like this drew a crowd. Unlike Ponyville, she didn't get a lot of sympathetic looks here, mostly looks of fear, horror and shame. All they knew was a murderer was being taken to the castle. Despite the crowd though, the ponies remained civil, and just watched her go by.

Twilight kept her gaze low, not wanting to see any of them. She felt a mix of both shame and humiliation, not because of the public display, but because of what had gotten her to this point in her life. Her stubbornness, and her pride in being the best student. She knew she shouldn't have pushed that extra dose of magic into the crystal. But she wanted the experiment to work so bad, and she grew reckless.


Twilight jumped, and looked around quickly, something shaking her had woken her up. She saw Spike as he stood by her bed looking at her. His eyes full of worry, as he watched her. Twilight looked back at him as tears rolled down her cheeks, her mane stuck to her face from sweat. She didn't know it, but she had whimpered and cried loudly in her sleep, and it woke him up.

"You can't tell me everything is fine Twilight," Spike insisted, after she had calmed down. "You haven't had dreams like this since you were a little filly. And even then, they haven't been this bad. Now please, tell me what is going on."

Twilight just looked at her faithful assistant for a few minutes, before she broke down. "I ... I dreamed I killed you Spike ... in that experiment, it was horrible." She told him, as she curled up on her bed and huddled under her covers. "Oh Spike, I can’t sleep. When I do, I just have those nightmares, and I am scared of what is going to happen next time"

Spike climbed onto the bed next to her, and softly stroked her mane getting it out of her face, as he looked down at her, concern and worry exhibited upon his face. "Twilight..." He whispered softly, unsure of what he could do or say to make her feel any better.

Author's Note:

Chapter revision edit by AuthorGenesis