• Published 13th Jan 2013
  • 1,827 Views, 40 Comments

Diary of the Necromancess - Sebbaa



In your search for spells to raise the dead, you come across this leather bond tome. A note falls out. It warns you to read the book, for this is the Diary of the Necromancess.

  • ...
6
 40
 1,827

Chapter 7: Winter Wrap-up

Chapter 7: Winter Wrap-up

There was a knock on my front door. I tried to ignore it, but of course it was no use. My house was too far out of town for anyone who comes here to give up easily. I groaned, left my study and headed for the door. I quickly undid the three deadlocks and yanked it open. “What?”

“Good morning Sapphire, I hope I didn't wake you.” Twilight Sparkle greeted me with a cheerful smile. She was wearing some kind of multicolored vest, and Spike was riding on her back. I glanced past her and saw that the sun had barely risen past the horizon.

“No, you didn't wake me. Actually I was just about to go to bed. What do you want?”

“It's winter wrap-up day! I came to get you, so you won't miss it.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Winter wrap-up? Is that some kind of pony spring cleaning? When is spring anyway? You have spring in this world, don't you?”

“Spring is scheduled for tomorrow, that's why we have to clean up winter today. You know, clean up the clouds, the snow, get everything ready for spring.”

“Uhu. . . wish you fun then!” In slammed the door shut and turned around to go to the bathroom, when a call through the door made me stop.

“Everyone will be there! It will look bad on you, if you are the only one not coming.”

I opened the door again and frowned at the smug grin in the unicorn's face. “You know me way too well. Remember me to kill you once we're done with this winter wrap-up thing.” She just chuckled at my antics; she was used to my dark humor by now. I turned around to go to the bathroom again, but left the door open this time. “I will need some time to get ready, make yourself at home.” I made sure that the door to my study was locked as I passed it.

Twilight came in and closed the door behind her. “It's alright, it's still three quarters of an hour until the meeting at town hall, take your time.” She knew me much to well indeed.

A brushed my mane, tail and coat, using three brushes at the same time, bandaged my left front leg and put on my socks. I put a few things I thought I might need into my slim, brown saddlebags on my way to the kitchen and slung them onto my back. I quickly wolfed down some dried fruits and nuts, and drank the last of the tea, I had made earlier that night. I grimaced; it was cold and bitter by now. I regrouped with Twilight and Spike at the door, where I grabbed my cloak from the rack, flung it around my shoulders and stepped into my boots. “I'm ready, lets get this over with.”

.oOo.

We still had more than enough time to get to the town hall, so we walked there side by side in a moderate pace.

“So, what have you been up to in the three weeks, since you moved out? I haven't seen you around.”

“I was busy relearning my own spells. You know, my spells require spoken words and hand gestures. I can cast most of them without either, but it's much harder. So I had to learn how to actually speak my own language with my new mouth and figure out a way to do the gestures with hooves.”

Spike gave me a sympathetic look. “That must have been hard!”

I shrugged, or I would have if it were possible to shrug while walking on four legs. “I managed. Only the spells that require the use of actual fingers still give me headaches. I pretty much have to relearn those from scrap.” Luckily that included only very few of my spells. I kept to myself that my most trusted combat spell, the Frigifaxius was among them. I also kept to myself that the first spell I relearned had been the one I knew best: Resurrectio infinitus, a spell to raise undead thralls. It would have been too complicated to explain what manner of new pet I kept in my study anyhow.

“But it's great that you did manage to relearn you spells!” Twilight's eyes were sparkling in excitement. “I have never seen anyone cast spells the way you do. That spell you used to banish the demon? I'd love to learn that too!”

I had to laugh at that statement and shook my head. “I bet, but that's quite impossible.” I looked her in the eyes. I could already see the disappointment in them, and I wanted her to now my next words were sincere. I wouldn't have it that anyone came to steal my vademecum -my spellbook- in hope of learning Bosporan magic. “I told you before, it would be hard for me to teach my spells to a human sorceress of a different school; teaching it to a unicorn would be nigh impossible. It would take years to teach my way of conducting magic, preferably from a young age so the mind can still adapt to new concepts easily.

“So you see, even if the code of my magic circle would not forbid me from teaching our spells to outsiders, I still couldn't do it.”

“Ow,” Twilight looked disappointed anyway, but I think she knew I was telling the truth. “Your magic school forbids you from teaching spells?”

I nodded. “We take vows to seek knowledge, to keep knowledge, and to forsake all worldly pleasures to achieve greater magical powers.”

“Why would you keep knowledge to yourselves? Isn't knowledge something that should be shared with everyone?”

I gave an amused chuckle. “Oh, you can be so naïve sometimes Twilight Sparkle. Don't you know that knowledge is power, and that you don't share power? Or do you think the Princess has taught you everything she knows?”

“Celestia would never keep secrets from me!”

“That so? Then tell me, do you know how she came to be the immortal, all powerful ruler of this land she is?”

Twilight opened her mouth to say something, but it stuck in her throat. She thought a moment what to answer and made another attempt, but once again caught herself before she spoke one word. She looked down at the road before her hooves. I had clearly given her something to think about.

.oOo.

Every single citizen of Ponyville was gathered at the plaza in front of the town hall. The mayor held a boring speech about everyone doing their best, together we can do this and such, then she gave the word to Twilight. The unicorn assigned task to every group, and reminded them of keeping to the plan, then everything should be done on schedule.

When everyone went to do their assigned tasks, I stayed behind and waited for Twilight to have time for me again. “So, what shall I do?” I asked when she had finished speaking with the last stragglers.

“You can join every team you want to. Let me show you around. I'm sure we find something.”

“Alright, lead the way.”

We headed towards Rarity's place. All along the way I saw ponies doing different chores to clean up the town. Some were standing on the roofs, clearing them of snow, some did the same on the ground. Ponies were busy carting around supplies and handing out tools. Now that I think about it, handing out tools doesn't make much sense when talking about ponies, oh well. Overhead winged ponies were gathering to head south, or busy clearing the sky from clouds. Much to my dismay. I raised my cloak's hood over my head, as soon as the first garish rays of the spring sun irritated my eyes.

At Rarity's shop several tables had been set up, with straw, twigs and ribbons neatly stacked onto them. Several ponies, including the fashionista herself were busy crafting small baskets from them or something.

“Hey Rarity! How are the nests coming along?” Twilight greeted her friend, as we approached.

“Oh, hello Twilight. And oh my, if that pony with you, hiding her lovely face isn't Sapphire. One could think you are hiding from the sun.”

“I am! Salve Rarity. What are you doing there?”

“Oh my, it's your first winter wrap-up in Ponyville isn't it?”

“First winter wrap-up in general. Twilight is showing me around.”

“Ah, I remember last year, when Twilight was new in town herself. Poor thing looked so lost. And now look at her in that vest. All team coordinator, organizing the wrap-up as if she had never done anything else.”

Twilight blushed and waved the comment off with a hoof. “It's nothing really, just doing what I'm good at.”

“So Rarity,” is said. “What is it exactly what you are doing?”

“I'm making bird's nests.”

“What?”

“Bird's nests! When the winged ponies bring back the southern birds, they'll need a place to live and lay their eggs.”

“Don't birds usually do that on their own?” The surprised stares that statement earned me from the two unicorns wasn't promising. “You are telling me, that birds in this world can't build their own nests?”

“Only those living in untamed wilderness do so; in the Everfree Forest for example.”

I shook my head in disbelieve and started walking away. “There is no way I will do this! Salve Rarity.”

Twilight excused herself and hurried to catch up with me. “What's wrong with making bird's nests? Won't you at least try?”

I sighed. “No, I won't support animals that are either too stupid or lazy to fare for themselves.”

“That's horrible! Don't animals need help where you come from?”

I shook my head. “My world is like the Everfree Forest, only everywhere and all the time. The only animals humans care about are those we domesticated, and I think most of those would fare quite well if left alone as well.”

I saw her shudder, as she tried to imagine Dere. “I can't imagine living in a world like that. How do you even survive in a place like that?”

“By being more powerful than anything that wants to eat you.”

“More powerful than anything?”

“Yes,” a ferocious grin came to my lips. “And we do have dragons in our world too.”


After we had walked for a bit, we came across a frozen lake. Pinkie Pie was moving over its surface on some kind of boots with blades under their soles; they left cutting marks wherever she went.

“Oh, why don't you try this out? We glide over the ice so it breaks along the lines and melts faster.”

I stopped and watched Pinkie practically dance over the lake. She made it look easy and was smiling from ear to ear. It looked like a lot of fun.

Yet I shook my head. “Pass. I only learned walking a month ago; I would only ridicule myself trying to glide over the ice like she does.”

Twilight looked at her hooves sheepishly and blushed. I think she knew exactly what I was talking about. “Alright, just let me quickly check on Pinkie, then we move on.”

I kept my distance while the unicorn talked to her friend; I didn't have any desire to talk with the annoying party pony.


We moved on soon after, this time heading for Fluttershy's place. The timid winged pony lived in a cottage near the Everfree Forest, actually not far from where I lived. But where my place looked foreboding and haunted, her cottage had a welcoming, homely feel to it.

We heard her, long before we saw her; she was ringing a hand held. . . make that mouth held, belle, standing at the entrance of an animal den. She poked her head into the hole afterward, saying something that was lost in the earth. When we walked up to her, a family of hedgehogs left the den and went for a morning walk or whatever. The pony looked after them, a dreamy smile on her face.

“Hey Fluttershy! How is waking the hibernating animals coming along?”

“Hello Twilight! It's going great, but I still have so much to do. And hello to you too, Sapphire!”

I greeted her with a nod. “Salve Fluttershy. You need any help waking the animals? I think this is finally something I can do.”

“Oh, that would be great! Here, take this belle. Try the burrows over there, I haven't been to any of them yet.”

I took the belle in my telekinesis and headed for the den with a confident smirk. When I got there, I levitated it right to the entrance and shook it with force. “Come out of there you lazy slacks! Sleep time is over!”

I stepped to the side, and smiled proudly, as a family of mice jumped out of the burrow and scattered into every direction in a headless panic. “See? Nothing too it.”

“Oh my goodness! My little darlings, wait!” Fluttershy went after the mice in a hurry and vanished in a snow covered bush.

“Right. . .” Twilight looked after her, biting her lower lip. “I think we'd better move on.”


From Fluttershy, we circled back towards Ponyville across the town's plentiful hills and fields. A whole army of earth ponies was busy clearing the snow with some kind of plow cart they could strap into that had a large shield in front to clear away the snow. Others came after them, planting seeds and watering them. Why they would water the ground after they had cleared away the snow, that would water the ground anyway if let melt, and cleared the snow in the first place, was beyond me.

Among her legions, Applejack stood on a hill and directed her troops like a centurion. She saw us approaching way before we came to the hill and waved at us.

“Howdy you two! How can I help you?” she asked, when we finally arrived.

“Hi Applejack! I see the plowing and planting is coming along well. I was just showing Sapphire here around, seeing if we can find anything she can help with.”

I looked around the hill with a frown. This looked like peasant's work, not something a sorceress should lower herself to, yet to my surprise I spotted one of the richest shop owners from town working one of the plows. That made me think. If even a rich and respected man such as he did manual labor on this day, instead of just paying someone to do it for him, it must be something that is really expected from every citizen of the town.

I sighed, as a master sorceress, I couldn't possibly stand by idle, while a spoiled merchant worked the fields. It would look bad on my entire profession. “I think I can plant seeds. That looks easy enough.”

Applejack shook her head. “Sorry sugar cube, that's something you can't do.”

“Oh please, do I have to be nice to the plants and talk to them, so they grow faster or any other stupid nonsense?”

“No Sapphire, what Applejack meant to say is, that only earth ponies should plant the seeds. Everything an earth pony plants grows much better than anything planted by other ponies. It's part of their inborn magic.”

I levitated my diarium from my saddlebags and made a quick note about that. “Interesting. What else can earth ponies do with their magic?”

Bonus gave me a bemused look, but answered after briefly gathering herself. “Well, apart from growing plants, earth ponies are the best at working with their hooves, handling tools and all that. And we are also plenty strong and though. Can buck apple trees all day long, if I have to.”

I noted all of it down, then replaced my diarium and looked up. “Alright, I will try working one of those plows then.” I started heading for a free one at the base of the hill. Bonus and Twilight followed me.

“You sure about this sugar cube? No offense, but you don't look very strong to me.”

I caught myself giving a very inhuman like snort. “Please, I'm a master sorceress. This is nothing to me!”

Twilight and Bonus shared concerned looks, but didn't stop me. “If you say so.”

I strapped myself into the contraption, then took a deep breath to center myself. I concentrated on the magic formula of the spell I was about to cast, laid my left fore hoof onto the biceps on my right leg, and spoke the formula of “Attributo!”

I immediately felt the magic surge through my body, empowering me. I smiled confidently and leaned into the plow. It began to move forward, easily at first, but it got a lot harder when the snow began to pile up in front of it, it was still manageable though. I looked back at the other two with a triumphant grin. “Snowplow Sapphire is ready for duty centurion! Now where shall I put all of that snow? And who is going to be my planter?”

Applejack quickly looked around. “Ah yes, will do that myself. Let me quickly grab a bag of seeds.”

Twilight walked up to me and the plow, and mustered the two of us with big eyes. “You are not using a come to life spell on the plow, are you?”

I shook my head. “No, I'm using magic to enhance my own bodily abilities. Not quite that different from the natural magic of earth ponies I'd guess. It's not a form of transformation that grants me more muscles or anything, just pure magic strength.”

“That's amazing. How much stronger are you?”

I gave the plow another testing push. “About twice as strong I'd say.”

Applejack came back, wearing green saddlebags with an onion embroidered on them. “Alright, I'm good to go. Head for that formation of plows over there, we'll line up with them.”

“Understood my centurion, right away my centurion!” I could see Jack roll her eyes at my antics, as I looked back over my shoulder at Twilight. “Thanks for your help Twilight. I guess I see you later!”

She nodded. “My pleasure. We'll all meet up in front of the town hall again when the wrap-up is done. See you then! You to Applejack, have fun!”


I can't say I remember the last time I had done any manual labor. It was probably before my parents sold me to the circle, for we had undead servants at the tower, as well as slaves. As such I was quite unused to it. Back at the tower I would probably not have lasted more than half an hour, even with the spell. But I had traveled deserts and climbed mountains since then, I was in better shape than I ever had been, and I knew how to pace myself. We plowed the field all day long, with little rest in between to eat, and -in my case- renew the spell. It was strenuous, maybe the most exhausting thing I had ever done, but my stubbornness kept me going, and somehow I managed to pull through.

I wouldn't go as far as say, that the work had been fun, but it wasn't as mind-bogglingly monotone as I had imagined it would be. There was something about working in a group, seeing how everyone around me was working just as hard as I did, how our combined effort slowly but surely cleared every field of snow, that I found oddly rewarding.

And then there was the singing. Once we had worked us into a steady pace as a group, the ponies around me began to sing. Only one at first, but everyone else soon picked up the song, and they were singing and smiling as they labored on the field. My amulet translated the words of the song, but in translation everything that made it a song, every rhyme, rhythm or melody, was lost. I stashed my amulet in my saddlebags after listening to the cacophony for only a few minutes.

Without the magical aid, I couldn't understand the words anymore, but I could finally make out the melody. It was a happy tune, with a steady rhythm that matched the rhythm of our hoof fall; I found myself humming it along before long, and somehow it seemed to make the work easier. That might have been psychological, but maybe it actually did; we were in the magical land of Equestria after all. Maybe there was magic in songs as well. I will have to do some experiments on that.

The sun was nearing the horizon again, when we were finally done. It was as though the land had magically transformed from winter to spring in a single day. Even knowing how much work had been put into that, it was still a sight to behold, and certainly not something that could have been done on Dere.

Everyone was smiling happily, patting each other on the shoulders, praising for a work well done. Even though my legs were shaking, and the coat under my cloak drenched in sweat, I couldn't help but smile along with them.

When I had parked the plow, I felt a hoof on my shoulder too. I looked around to see the approving smile of Jack. “I have to admit, I had been skeptical at first, if you were cut out for this work, but you proved me wrong! You pulled through, working as hard as anyone, I'm mighty proud of you.”

To my surprise, being praised by her made me feel proud myself. I felt the blood rush to my cheeks. “Thank you, I tried my best.”

She nodded, then reached to her back and produced a towel. “Here, let me rub you dry. You are mighty wet under that cloak of yours, and we don't want you to catch a cold, don't we?”

That offer surprise me even more. How did she know? Did she just figure I had to be sweaty, cause I was not used to labor? One sniff gave me the answer; the stench of wet horse was very strong about me. Let me tell you at this point, having one's own body odor change over night, along with a much more sensitive nose to tell it, is an outlandish experience. I did bath quite a lot the first few days, trying to get the smell of horse out of my coat, but it was of course no use. I only got used to the scent of my own body after about two weeks.

I took off my cloak and bags and hung them over a nearby branch, and at once Applejack made good on her offer and rubbed me dry from head to tail with those strong hooves of hers. I'll admit it felt surprisingly good, and I felt a lot better afterward, even the shaking in my legs was gone. I gave a relieved sigh, when she was done. “Thanks, that was just what I needed.”

“Your welcome sugar cube. Now let's head back to town hall and meet up with the others.”

I quickly folded up my cloak and put it on my back, and the saddlebags over it. It was already as warm as one would expect on a spring evening, and the setting sun for once felt nice and warm on my coat. We headed back to town hall, where everyone had already gathered.

Once again the mayor held a speech, if a short one this time, and she declared winter as officially wrapped up. The crowd cheered and applauded, not so much for the mayor, but for each other, for the success of all their combined efforts. I too clopped my hooves on the ground, and for the first time since I had left Bosperan, didn't feel like a complete stranger in transit.

That concluded the official part of the wrap-up, after that, the crowd began to dissipate, heading in small groups to their respective unofficial parts. I had the feeling that the local taverns would make a fortune this night.

I lingered yet a bit longer, for I wanted to talk to Twilight Sparkle before heading home. So I happened to be there, when she and her five friends came from talking to the mayor in their functions as team leaders and coordinator.

“. . . animals ran off in a panic. The poor things were out of themselves with fear, when I finally found them.”

“Well, not everyone knows how to handle animals like you do Shy. But you know what? Sapphire has been helping with clearing the fields. She sure doesn't look like it, but she was plowing the snow like it was nothing. She must be the strongest unicorn I know. . . Speak of the demon, there she is! Hey Sapphire, what you doing here all on your own?”

I nodded into the round to greet them. “Salvete you all. I was hoping to talk to Twilight for a moment, before I head home and take a nice, hot bath.”

“Oh!” Rarities eyes sparkled at that motion. “I was just about to head to the public bath myself. Nothing like a hot soak after a long day of work. Why don't you come along? Why don't you all come along, my treat!”

There was a general mumbling of agreement form the other five, but I shook my head. “Thanks, but I have to decline.”

“Oh darling, don't be shy. I promise it will be wonderful!”

“I'm not shy, but I don't want to startle the other guests and the servants in the bath with my skeletal leg.” Its funny how fast I had gotten used to call what used to be my arm, a leg. There was a concerned silence after my words; some of the group looked to the ground, or up to the sky in an attempt not to stare at my leg, or their own legs for that matter.

It was Twilight Sparkle's eager voice that finally broke the silence. “I'm sure it won't be a problem. We always get private rooms anyway, and Aloe and Lotus will understand, if we explain it to them.” She thought about the last statement for a moment. “At least they will not be too startled. . . I think.”

I hesitated; while visiting a real bath, complete with steam rooms, hot and cold basins and massages sounded incredibly tempting, and I had not visited one since leaving Bosperan, I was very self conscious about my decaying body, and the stares of others on me if I ever showed it. I must have stood there for a minute or so, and in the end, Rarity made the decision for me.

“It's decided then. To the bath!” She started walking, and somehow I found myself between her and Applejack and was just taken along before I could make up my mind.

.oOo.

I tried to be as polite as I could, and explained my affliction as good as possible to Aloe and Lotus, the two women that ran the local bath. They took the final revelation better than I expected.

“It's not that bad.”

“I have seen worse.”

“Yea, like that one stallion with that nasty athlete’s hoof? That was a lot worse!”

“And it's like we have a whole set of muscles less to massage.”

“So, do I get a discount?”

We shared a bit of awkward laughter, and I think the ice was broken. They didn't grew entirely comfortable around me for the rest of the visit though.

“Hey, you laughed, you actually laughed!” Of course, the party pony was not far, and suddenly her face was blocking my vision, grinning from ear to ear.

“Yes Pinkie, I did.” I shoved her out of my face and began pushing her inside. “Now let us get into the water before I remember how to frown again!”

Traveler, if you read this, and ever come to Ponyville, go to the bath of the twin sisters! You won't regret it. It was very relaxing -I fell asleep several times-, and it did wonders for my complexion. My whole body was positively shiny from head to hoof, when we left.


When we all split up to head back to our homes, I went with Twilight and walked with her until the library. “You know, I was more than skeptical when you picked me up this morning to do this winter wrap-up thing. And while I will not say that plowing the fields had been fun, I still found it quite rewarding. I enjoyed working with everyone, and I enjoyed going to the bath with you and your friends.” I bowed my head respectfully before her. “Thank you Twilight Sparkle, for this wonderful day.

She blushed slightly and smiled back at me. “You welcome! I'm glad you liked it.”

We had reached the Library, and as she stopped in front of the door, to say her goodbyes, I spoke up before her. “I have come to a decision! I want you to teach me to speak and write the language of your people.”

Author's Note:

As always special thanks to Daring-Do Books for helping me with the editing.