• Published 18th Jan 2012
  • 8,505 Views, 221 Comments

Curls - aquilerafroot



Rarity has been acting strangely lately, and Twilight tries to figure out what her behaviour means.

  • ...
16
 221
 8,505

Zero: Rarity

For a fashion designer, it was an essential ability to discover the natural beauty in anypony – and their profession as well as their obligation to take that beauty and reveal it for the whole world to see.

Rarity knew she could not turn a blind side to the hidden gloriousness Twilight embodied since the first time she had ever set eyes on the studious mare, and vowed that she would do her utmost to unearth the gem shrouded by Twilight’s disregard for dressing up.

As the two unicorns got to know each other better, Rarity further discovered that Twilight was also the smartest, most courageous pony she had ever met. During their many adventures, if it weren’t for Twilight Sparkle’s leadership and encouragement, Rarity felt that she might have given up a few times.

The thought that Twilight would always lead her friends out of every situation had always comforted her, and whenever Rarity was almost out of her mind, Twilight was usually the pony that had brought the sophisticated unicorn back to Equestria.

After the fiasco with Prince Blueblood at the Grand Galloping Gala, Rarity was certain that she did not want to pursue another romantic relationship for a long while, and resolved never to have such airheaded fantasies about romance again. However, much like the erosion of a boulder by a steady drip of water, things could change slowly, but once the revelation struck, there was no going back.

------ ------

Rarity awoke, and looked out the window of her bedchambers to find that the sky was raining drops of an eerie brown color. After finishing breakfast, she groomed her mane, applied her makeup, put on her raincoat and levitated her saddle umbrella onto her back.

Stepping out of her boutique, she was stunned to find that the rain smelled like chocolate. Making her way gingerly, she passed by the market and heard that Applejack was having some trouble down at Sweet Apple Acres due to the choco-milk rain. Perhaps I should head there to see if there is anything I can do to help. Without getting my mane or coat dirty, that is.

------ ------

At Sweet Apple Acres, Rarity was starting to hope that Twilight would come over. Her mane was starting to become sticky, the wind blowing the sugary rain in her face. Just then the librarian arrived, releasing a powerful wave of magic.

Rarity’s hope leapt as she witnessed yet again the talent of her dear friend – but when the tide of magic receded, nothing had happened! She immediately offered her umbrella to the other unicorn, and suddenly she did not care at all about her own mane or coat. Pfft, the mundane matter of my coiffure can wait. Twilight shall find a solution to this, I am sure of it.

------ ------

“What do you think you are doing? Get away from my gem!” Rarity barred her teeth in a most un-ladylike growl. Her once-friends were trying to snatch her precious diamond, Tom!

She was pinned down on the ground, and Twilight Sparkle, obviously the ringleader, approached her with a devious grin. Writhing in anger, Rarity released a flow of magic, trying to free herself, but was helpless against the surge of power that had just erupted from the horn of the evil Twilight Sparkle.

Unicorns were much more sensitive to magic than the earth ponies or the pegusi, and so when Twilight’s memory spell entered Rarity, she felt everything, compared with Applejack and Fluttershy who had experienced the spell before her.

Twilight’s magical aura mingled with Rarity’s, and the latter’s spell, originally aimed at Applejack, dissolved. Rarity could feel Twilight’s energy spreading throughout her body, warm and fuzzy at first, but it soon strengthened into a strong tingling and electrifying sensation, thrumming along with every fiber of her being. To Rarity it felt… simply magical.

Along with the thrumming caress, the spell let her see through the haze that had covered her mind before. She now remembered every moment, every bond of friendship that she had shared with her friends. Her eyes fluttered open, and the first thing she saw was Twilight’s welcoming smile.

“Oh, dear,” was all she could utter.

Twilight’s relief spread across her face. “How do you feel, Rarity?”

“Well darling… I feel marvelous!” Rarity blurted out. She had meant the tingle that had spread over her body, and was horrified, but there was no taking it back.

Luckily, her comment was interpreted differently. “I’m so glad you’re happy to be in the right state of mind again,” said Twilight, grinning in response.

A thousand thoughts were flitting through Rarity’s mind, most of which were regretful, but some were of an unknown emotion. My friends… have already forgiven me. But my behavior was still inexcusable! Especially to poor Twilight, I have insulted her and ridiculed her, but she was the only one that offered to help me carry that… ugly monstrosity!

She let out a sob of grief when she realized what she had done to her friend, and what her friend had done for her. Twilight had never succumbed to Discord’s trickery; she had only succumbed to losing us!

Rarity snapped out of her thoughts and sneaked a look at Twilight’s expression, almost half-hoping it would be repulsed; she felt she deserved Twilight’s anger. But no, the smile was still on the face of the unicorn with a cute stripe of pink in her mane.

The fashionista couldn’t control herself anymore, and flung her hooves around Twilight’s neck. The other unicorn felt warm and nice, and after experiencing her magic, Rarity felt closer to her friend than ever. Clinging harder to Twilight, she also realized that she was quite thrilled when the violet unicorn returned the gesture…

Rarity blushed quite furiously when, right then and there, a multitude of revelations hit her. Her heartbeat skipped to a staccato. Can this be? Is this what my heart is telling me?

Desperately glancing around for something to distract herself before she lost her composure, her eyes found the chunk of rock. There are more important issues at hoof now; the ruffian Discord is still at large. I shall dwell on my emotions later.

Releasing her hold on Twilight and leaping to her hooves, Rarity opened the door and rolled the rock out with a swift motion.

“Let us never speak of this again.”