• Published 2nd Jan 2013
  • 1,058 Views, 24 Comments

Ponies of Legend - Rennoc215



A selection of one-shot stories, featuring various league of legends champions. The "Trials of Vladamir" series hold their roots in this colection, as this collection is older than those stories.

  • ...
1
 24
 1,058

Fiddlesticks

"Princess? What's behind that door?" A little Twilight asked, pointing a hoof towards a old, worn door. The Wood was like curly maple, age having seeped into the planks, giving the door an old grey stain. The hinges had rusted with disuse, and all the exquisite metalwork on the door had lost its shine. The metal had once depicted something important, but something nopony of this age would recognize.

It was shaped on the form of the moon, and carved in it was an intricate array of crows circling around a single scarecrow. However, the scarecrow had a hoof lifted, and on it rested a crow. Scattered about on the wood lay bodies, intricately placed like crops in some unholy field. Twilight, in her innocence, didn't realize that the depicted ponies were dead, and not sleeping.

Princess Celestia had given Twilight a tour of most of the castle. There was only one door that she had not opened, and it currently lay before them now. And personally, she hadn't wanted to have to come this way. "Twilight, I'm going to be honest with you. I want you to promise me: Never open that door." Celestia said, her stare deep and meaningful. Her tone was dire and grave, as if the weight of something bringing her down.

Twilight's bouncing stopped. "Why, Princess? What's behind that door?"

The princess smiled at Twilights eager need for knowledge. "Let me tell you a story Twilight. I was thinking about telling you when you were older, but I decided you are ready for it now. But you will want to sit down, for it is a long tale." Twilight's rump slammed to the floor, as if pulled by a magnetic force, and her ears swiveled forward, ready and attentative.

"A long time ago, there was this mare named 'Nightmare Moon'..."
-+-+-+-+-+-

"Captain!" The tall, black alicorn Princess called.

An earth pony rushed forward and bent to one knee in a bow. "Yes, your highness?" He asked, his voice deep and soothing.

"Is everything in order?" She asked, her gaze not leaving the plains before her, swathed in night.

"Yes, your highness." He said, never looking up towards her.

"Good. Good. Tell them to begin as soon as possible." She commanded, lightning cracking behind her. "And tell the good doctor that I do not accept failures."

"Yes, your highness." He said, standing and turning to walk away.

Down in the plains below, a small team of white coated unicorns watched events unfold. "We've got to keep safe. We don't know what these dastardly Night Troopers are going to be doing."

A brown coated unicorn frowned. "I can taste what it is in the air. A summoning spell."

The group advanced towards the group of dark, armoured pegasai. "Oh, you hush, Dr. Broom. I hadn't even heard of 'Parabnormal Magic' before you came along. I still don't see why the princess told you to come along."

The brown unicorn shook his head. "Par-a-normal. As for the princess, this is because we think something may be amiss at this 'meeting.' Seems we were right."

The small team continued deeper, until they found themselves at a deserted, slightly destroyed castle. "The seat of chaos. These are the ruins of Discord's castle, back when his reign of chaos was undisturbed." Dr. Broom whispered, knowing the others wouldn't have any idea of what that meant.

Up ahead, the dark soldiers gave way to a group of yellow-clad scientists, working around a strange white-chalk circle. With strange fascination, Dr. Broom studied the circle, trying to figure out what they were attempting. Shock crossed his face as he realized it, and the captain was about to ask what it was when a new pony stepped out.

His very presence demanded attention, crying out and calling all to watch. His coat was jet black, his mane flat white. He wore a massive red robe, which covered his cutie mark, yet showed his importance. He smiled, a cold and lifeless smile, and called to the assembled rebels. "My friends. Tonight, we are about to summon a being of untold power. Tonight, we shall bridge the gap, and bring a being from another plane of existance here."

One of the soldiers stepped up, and gave the black unicorn a good, long look. "Remember, her highness does not look kindly upon failure." He reminded the figure, who nodded.

"There will be no failure." He replied, before stepping into the smaller circle. He began chanting, and a dark, evil light shone from the opposite circle. A shape began to take form, and the white unicorn captain stepped forward, to find his path blocked by a brown hoof.

"Let's see how this is going to turn out," Dr. Broom suggested. "Extra-planar summonings usually go bad, and kill the summoner in the process. That'll be one less upper-class unicorn that we have to deal with." The captain nodded, and sat back.

The beam shattered, and whisps of darkness drifted into a vague pony shape. yet the legs were far to narrow, and looked more tied together rather than actually formed. "Rise, warrior of eternity." The black unicorn said, and color seeped into the shape.

"My princess," the captain, "It's a scarecrow."

The shape's head rose, and his soulless, glowing green eyes stared at the black unicorn. "Yes... My child. I have brought you here for a dire need. We are here to bring about night eternal, and we need you to..." The unicorn began, before a long metal curve sliced into his throat. A faint gurgle escaped his lips, before the scarecrow turned to the remaining servants of nightmare.

His work was quick. No pony survived, and soon, his evil gaze was spaning the field of corpses. Dr. Broom stepped out towards the wooden demon, a fearful smile on his face. One of the white unicorns rushed forward, to pull him back, but he was stopped by the captain. The captain shook his head no, and looked at Dr. Broom. "If the good doctor has a death wish, let him go forth."

Dr. Broom took another step, and the scarecrow turned. "Hello, sir. Mighty fine work you have here." The scarecrow looked around, seeing the corpses splayed about. It nodded wordlessly, before turning back to the doctor. "Would you like to come with us?" The scarecrow raised his scythe, and the doctor turned his head. "I meant no offense. It was simply an offer. A way to stay in peace, and the hope to return from whence you came."

The scythe lowered, and the scarecrow sat there for a moment. Slowly, it nodded it's head, and a swarm of crows swarmed the area. The scarecrow motioned with his hoof, and the crows cleaned the field, then swarmed into the skies, their eyes glowing with the same evil green glisten. The scarecrow nodded to the doctor, and then pushed him forward. "Lead. I will follow." came a whispy voice. The scarecrow's mouth never moved, and his gaze never wavered from the doctor.
-+-+-+-+-+-

"The few soldiers took him in reluctantly, and they all called him 'Fiddlesticks,' due to his stick-like frame. But the biggest thing that strikes me is what he told the doctor when he came into my custody."

"What did he say, Princess?" Twilight asked, her eyes filled with wonder.

Celestia laughed before continuing. "He said, in his slow, ghastly voice 'You stay. I go. No Following.' Now, as you probably have guessed, he isn't the nicest pony, and prefers to not be disturbed." Celestia finished, a frown crossing her face. "I didn't want you to be hurt by him, because he feels no reason, no purpose. All who disturb him, don't like what happens next."

"Why would he hurt me, though? If anything, I might've been like Dr. Broom, and made him happy." Twilight replied, her expression confused, yet upbeat.

"I just didn't want to take the chance, little Twilight. Now, how about we go do something more fun, and leave ghost stories behind, shall we?" Celestia asked, turning and walking away.

Twilight ran up to the door, and knocked on it softly. "I will remember you, Mr. Fiddlesticks. I will." She whispered, before turning to go to her mentor. As she ran away, she could hear a faint chuckling behind her.

Author's Note:

Alright, a lot of notes for all my readers.
I am going to upfront apologize about not updating Rise of Zyra or All is dust recently,but I do have my reasons.
I did this one while working on Pantheon, who is taking forever. Technically speaking, his is already over 2k words, and I'm nowhere near done with him.
In Rise of Zyra, I have the points but no filler. I may post it in my oldest form of writing (Which has never been on the internet before), but I find that form frustrating to read.
In All is Dust, I'm working on a dream sequence. If you want, I can go ahead and try to finish it up soon, and just post it as the dream, or try to add some more and post it as a full blown chapter.
One last thing, can anyone guess all the referances I made?