• Published 2nd Jan 2013
  • 2,702 Views, 112 Comments

A True Surprise - Garbo



In the midst of planning a surprise party for a friend, Pinkie and Twilight find a surprise of their own

  • ...
11
 112
 2,702

3. Dreams

Pinkie Pie had never thought she could have such a great time standing still, and yet here she was, doing nothing but staring a few inches in front of herself, having the time of her life. Despite her lack of motion, she was doing something, and the entertainment in the moment was found not in the staring itself, but what she was staring at: Twilight Sparkle, the sexiest mare in the world - at least to Pinkie. In her mind, there was nothing that could ruin this moment.

During and after the kiss, the pink-coated party-mare had felt herself relax, both physically and mentally. Even now, minutes after the kiss, the usually chaotic cluster of nerves in her head was as calm as the night sky above her. That was a great feeling, a feeling Pinkie wasn’t used to, and a feeling that wasn’t about to last forever.

If Pinkie’s brain was like the pond to her right, then it was as if somepony was skipping stones on the opposite shore. At first, there was a single impact, barely noticeable in her mind’s eye. It did little to break the inanimate surface of the pool. But after a second skip, and a third skip, and most afterwards, the amount of ripples made the small pond look like a violent ocean, or a frothing root beer float, a drink Pinkie often served at Sugarcube Corner.

The single thought in her head was like that one stone: a small object that caused a large disturbance. And as much as she wanted to savor the moment, she couldn’t push the thought aside. She didn’t want to think about it, yet she did.

Twilight seemed to notice her sudden change in mood and came out of her own love-struck state.

“Pinkie, what’s the matter?”

“Nothing; there’s just something I feel like I should be remembering, like something tingling in my brain. It’s really important, Twilight!”

“Is it your Pinkie sense? Should I be running for the bushes?”

“No, not that kind of tingling. It’s something about tonight …”

Sighing, Twilight grudgingly accepted the fact that the romantic mood had been completely derailed and that there was nothing she could do about it. “Well, let’s go through tonight. What were you doing before I came over?”

“Just running the shop like usual. A few customers came in, nothing important.”

“Well, okay, then that’s out. What about when we were setting up the party?” Beyond just helping Pinkie out, Twilight was curious about what had been going through her head at the moment, although at this point, she had a pretty good idea.

Pinkie obliged happily, although she felt herself blushing at the thoughts. “Well, I was mixing up all the sweets and stuff. But mostly I was just thinking about you.”

Now it was Twilight’s turn to blush. Maybe the mood wasn’t completely dead after all.

“Really?” the unicorn asked.

“Yeah, I was really nervous, you know. Like when I went back to get that flour and I didn’t grab any. I wasn’t really getting flour; I was just really super-duper scared was all.”

“I was too,” said Twilight, grinning as she leaned in for another kiss. Pinkie leaned in too, but just when their lips touched, she remembered something.

“THE PARTY!”

Jumping in fright, Twilight found herself in the air one second, then cold and wet the next. Flailing around, she was unable to find her bearings. A few seconds of confusion later, she felt a hoof lift her up and out of the cold. When she surfaced, her ears were instantly bombarded with a chorus of apologies from Pinkie Pie.

“Oh, Twilight, I’m so, so, so, so, so sorry. I just got really excited, cause I remembered, Twilight; I remembered what I was trying to remember!”

After shaking the water out of her mane and drying off her eyes, Twilight figured out what had happened. She’d fallen into the pond by accident. At first she was angry, but after rationalizing the situation her frown turned upside down. Well, sort of; technically frowns don’t turn upside down. They invert.

“It’s okay Pinkie. It’ll take a lot more than that to ruin this night.”

Pinkie smiled shyly, giving Twilight a warm hug. It wasn’t really warm on Pinkie Pie’s end, but it was on Twilight’s, and it was pleasant for both of them. Twilight would have loved to stay out there for a while in Pinkie’s embrace, but even though it warmed her up, the cold nighttime wind was making her anxious to get inside. As much as she wanted to rekindle what had been going on before she took a dive, she didn’t want to wake up with a cold the next morning, either.

Still holding the hug, Twilight asked: “So Pinkie, what were you saying about the party?”

“Oh yeah.” Letting Twilight go, Pinkie continued. “Well, we’ve been gone awhile, and I bet everypony’s wondering where we are.”

“Oh goodness, you’re right!” As she usually did when she got nervous, Twilight started pacing. “If we go back and ponies ask where we were, we’ll have to either tell them what happened or lie.”

“But why would we lie, Twilight? It’s not like we did anything wrong.”

“Yes, but if we tell them, it’ll probably take all the attention off of Spike, and this is supposed to be his special night!”

Pinkie had to admit that Twilight had a point. “Huh … you’re right.”

“Of course I’m right; how could I have missed this? Ugh, I feel so selfish!”

Now the absent party host was conflicted. In more ways than one, she’d just ruined her first kiss with Twilight, and now she was missing from a party she was supposed to be running. Part of her wanted to rekindle what had been going on between her and Twilight, but abandoning the party was starting to make her feel a little selfish as well.

“Hey Twilight?”

“Yes, Pinkie?” The mare stopped pacing.

“Maybe we should figure this out on the way back to the party.”

Twilight’s eyes widened. “You’re right! Let’s get going!”

At that the two mares galloped along the shortest possible path back to Sugarcube Corner, having a rushed discussion about what they would say when they returned.

=-=-=-=-=

Thankfully for the two mares, nopony had noticed their absence except of course for Rarity, who, having come to the same realization as Twilight, hadn’t said anything at the party. Now that the party was over, the two went their separate ways. Twilight, who had since dried off from her spill in the pond, was walking back to the Library with Spike and Rarity. Rarity lived only a few buildings down from Twilight’s, so they took the same route back.

As they walked, Spike was busy talking the two mares’ ears off about the party.

“So then Lyra was like, Spike, you’re such a hero, and I was like, Yeah, I guess I am. That was the best part about the whole thing; everypony was calling me a hero and stuff. It was great!”

“Uh-huh,” both mares mumbled in unison.

Oblivious to the fact that neither his crush nor his guardian was paying any attention, the young drake continued.

“And almost everypony was like that. Well, actually there were a few weird ones. Like Davenport. I don’t really know what he was doing. He said he wanted me to set him up with Lily or something. What does that even mean?”

Although Rarity already had a lot on her mind, the issue of Davenport trying to exploit Spike’s newfound popularity and innocence made her pay a little more attention. She looked over to Twilight, who was still deep in thought. She wanted to ask the mare what was wrong – she could tell something was bothering her – but with Spike there, she couldn’t really. And with her out of it, somepony needed to answer Spike’s question.

“Well, Spikey, apparently Davenport was trying to use you to get a date with Lily.”

“Oh, well that’s okay I guess.”

Rarity gasped. “Spike, that is not the least bit appropriate, and I’m going to have to talk to him about it later. It’s not right to use children as a proxy for romance and that’s that.”

“Rarity, it’s fine, really.”

“No, it is not fine, and I’m going to have him apologize to you.”

“Do you really think that’s necessary?” the dragon asked, wanting to avoid an awkward encounter with the stallion.

“Yes, Spike, it is indeed necessary. He’s done some distasteful things before but he’s gone too far this time!”

Knowing there was no way he was going to get what he wanted, Spike caved. After all, it was Rarity he was talking to.

As the group walked on, Rarity kept Spike’s attention away from Twilight by talking about the party, hoping the dragon wouldn’t notice how off Twilight seemed. This tactic could only last for so long, however, as Rarity had to go into her house while the dragon and his guardian would continue on to the Library. Saying her goodbyes to the two, she opened the door to her boutique, barely noticing the chiming of the bell over the door.

Inside, there were a dozen incomplete dresses laid out on mannequins, waiting to be finished. Often, Rarity would try and work on them, even this late, but she had far too much on her mind to focus on the dresses. She knew she shouldn’t be so fixated on Twilight and Pinkie Pie’s romance, but she couldn’t help it, since she had no idea what had happened to make the purple unicorn so upset.

Although she’d seen the kiss from her hiding place in the bushes, she hadn’t seen what had gone on afterward because she’d made a futile attempt to chase down Rainbow Dash, who had seemed even more distraught than Twilight was now. That was another issue: what had made Rainbow Dash so upset?

Those two issues were easily enough to keep the mare lying awake in bed, which she was now doing. Her mind was a mess of incomplete thoughts, but after giving herself a moment to calm down, she was able to regain some focus.

“Well, I might as well try and figure out what happened to Rainbow Dash,” she said to herself. This was a simpler problem than Twilight’s, because the romantically-savvy Rarity had already figured out the most likely cause of the pegasus’ actions: jealousy. It wasn’t something she would’ve expected from the mare. Rainbow had never expressed any interest in romance, at least not to her.

“Ponies do change, though,” she reminded herself. “After all, nopony can just go on ignoring romance forever.”

So now she knew the motive, but an even bigger issue was still unaddressed. Who was Rainbow Dash jealous about? The two most obvious candidates were Twilight or Pinkie Pie. It was possible that she’d had a crush on one of the two, and was angry at herself for not acting sooner. However, Rarity could not rule herself out as a possibility. She had been there with Dash behind the bush, after all. But when she thought about it, that didn’t make much sense. The mare had left the scene seemingly in response to the kiss, and that wasn’t something Rarity had done.

On the other hoof, Rarity had also asked her what she would’ve done if she were Pinkie or Twilight. If that was the cause, there was no way for Rarity to know which it was, and the only way to figure that out was asking the pegasus herself.

Realizing that she was getting nowhere, Rarity refocused her attention to Twilight’s feelings. On the way back from the party, she’d seemed … subdued, for lack of a better term. Thankfully, she didn’t seem sad, which meant that nothing catastrophic had occurred. Conversely, the fact that she wasn’t overjoyed meant that something had happened.

And of course, the only way to find out these things was to ask Twilight herself.

“Well, I guess I’ll be paying a visit to Twilight and Rainbow Dash in the near future, won’t I?” Rarity asked of nopony in particular. Finally letting herself relax, she closed her eyes and soon fell asleep.

Author's Note:

Dreams - Van Halen

Special Thanks to Daisy Sunbeam for editing.
Sorry this one took a while. This was originally going to be a longer chapter, but I've decided to split it in half so you guys can at least have something. Also, I'd just like to wish the Ravens good luck in the Superbowl.
But anyway, enough about football. Most of you guys probably don't care. The next chapter is almost done, I'd figure it'll take a week at most. Thanks for reading!