• Published 1st Jan 2013
  • 2,696 Views, 56 Comments

The Darkness among the Stars - Haseo



For A thousand Years, the Kingdom of Equestria sustained in Peace & Harmony. The Ruler of this Kingdom defended their little Ponys from all Evil. But what happend before known History began? What is lurking in the Darkness among the Stars?

  • ...
1
 56
 2,696

Chapter 28 - Of drifting Empresses and fallen Apples

Chapter 28
Of drifting Empresses and fallen Apples

The ponies laid peacefully in their slumber, only their eternal ruler struggled with nightmares. Princess Celestia laid twisting and turning on the ground, squeaking in fear every few moments. Phalanx could only watch his ruler, as every attempt to wake her was in vain. The Princess began to talk. “No. Please… no. I wanted peace but not like this... No!”

The pictures around the Princess were blurred. Slowly her eyes adjusted to her surroundings. While she had stood before Soul just a moment before, she found herself in front of a big crowd of ponies. She searched through their lines and noticed that sadness was the prior emotion they showed. She searched through her surroundings; there were no foals playing around. Not even the birds were singing. This place lacked of nothing besides of happiness. She turned her head around. She didn't realized where she was, not until now.

She stood in front of the graveyard of Ponyville, countless freshly dug graves stretching over the field. As an immortal being she had witnessed many deaths, and she learned to handle them, she stopped dwelling on memories and only looked forward. But not on this one, deep inside her mind she knew that something was wrong. Tears began to roll over her cheeks. The thing that scared her the most weren't the gravestones but the statue right in front of them.

Her eyes locked upon the huge stone base. She didn't dare to look up, she didn't wanted to see whose statue this was. Words of grief and sorrow were carved at the base. Around the inscription were neatly arranged the symbols of the Elements of Harmony. Only slowly she could gather enough strength to read.

In loving memory and honour for the greatest heroes in Equestria's history.

They sacrificed their lives in order to restore harmony and peace. Every strike, every scar will be remembered as long as pony-kind exists. They've fallen in battle for a better future, for a future at all! Our heroes that fought disharmony and chaos back won't be forgotten!

May you rest in eternal peace my beloved guardians.

It didn't matter how much she wanted to be sure who these ponies were, but she couldn't bring herself to point eyes upwards. The worst of it was the absolute silence. The only thing she could do was stare at the inscription. It didn't matter how hard she wanted to search for Twilight and the others, she couldn't move at all.

The silence was broken by a familiar voice, it calmed her down. “Princess! Princess! Wake up, please! They're gone!”

The pictures in front of the Princess blurred, slowly everything faded to black. She felt her head spinning and pain in her back. Her eyes opened again. Rapidly blinking her view focused on the lavender unicorn above her. “Princess are you okay? Please say something!”

Carefully the Princess of the Sun raised to her hooves. “What had happened? Who is gone?”

Twilight pulled her mentor in a bone-crushing hug and squealed in delight. “Praise the Sun, you're well! Princess Luna and Soul are missing! I think they began their journey to Demon's Run without us. Phalanx woke us up shortly after they left.”

Fluttershy was still dizzy from the poison Soul had used, but she was aware enough to notice something different. “Uhmm sorry, but Applejack is missing, too.”

The ponies looked at her in shock. The Princess finally regained her full awareness, her gaze strived through the remaining ponies. Only one thought drilled through her mind. “I won't let this happen! I won't let any of you fall!”

Rarity leaned carefully over to Rainbow Dash. “Okaaaay.”

Princess Celestia spun hastily around, adrenaline and anger drove her crazy. Her eyes twitched dangerously, nopony had ever seen the Princess like this. She paced from one side of the room to another. “What should I do, what am I supposed to do... I can't let this happen. I simply can't...”

Twilight tried to comfort her mentor and paced alongside her. “Princess? What is wrong? Please tell us. We want to help you!”

She didn't react at all, she just continued pacing around. Her eyes were still twitching, it seemed like every muscle in her body would faintly shrug. Rainbow Dash hovered slowly over to Princess Cadence. “Your aunt is going nuts! She’s acting like that Radiant Flare pony! Do something about it!”

Like lightning the Solar Princess shot up in the air, extending her beautiful alabaster white wings. Unlike herself the Royal Canterlot voice pulsed through her normal speaking pattern, though darkened and suppressed anger underlined her speech. “This is the solution! Is it not what I would do now! It is what I would have done back then!”

They looked confused at Twilight while she tried to pull Princess Celestia back to the ground. “What do you mean, Princess?”

Forcefully, the Princess came back to the ground, the dishes sent clinging by the impact. “Don't you understand? The Solar Empire will rise again! We are going to war!”

Never before had they heard the Princess laughing maliciously like this. Twilight carefully took a few steps back. She looked at her older brother and waited for his support. “Please, your majesty. We can't follow them there! Every mortal pony that enters Demon's Run is lost. It'd make no sense to send our soldiers to death! Moreover Soul has a plan and we may blow it if we interfere.”

Princess Celestia tilted her head in an awkward and rather uncomfortable fashion in the direction Shining Armor. “You're still so foolish and naïve! I won't enter Demon's Run even with an army of immortal beasts. We will wait in front of the gate and whoever leaves, might it be Soul and my sister or Lunacy and his minions. They have to battle us! I will conquer the absolute power of creation and become the eternal ruler over this realm!”

Once more she took off to the air again, lightning flashed outside the window. Her evil laughter rang through their ears. Princess Celestia's eyes had narrowed to small dots, a faint reddish glow underlining them.

Everypony backed away in fear. They had seen so much misery since Soul had arrived in Ponyville, but this was the most scarring moment since then. The events turned out to become worse than before.

While everypony was distracted, the tension inside Princess Cadence began to rise to an unbelievable amount. “No, you won't! I don't know for sure what Soul did, but it clearly poisoned your mind, and I won’t let you lead your loyal soldiers to death!”

Princess Celestia walked slowly, albeit dangerously, in Princess Cadence’s direction. Her head hung low and her eyes shimmered with a warning spark in them. “You rude little brat! How dare you question my way of ruling this country! For thousand of years I gave them everything, and now they have give everything for me! You are still a little filly, you’ve done nothing at all yet, and you are immortal. You are a worthless piece of junk! You should have never became an alicorn. The Princess of Love? Don't make me laugh. In my perfect world you wouldn't even exist!”

They couldn't believe what the Princess had said to her own niece. Princess Cadence had to struggle with her own tears. A bittersweet taste spread in her mouth while the salty liquid ran down her face. Shining Armor walked protectively in front of his wife and made himself as big as possible in front of the Princess. “How dare you talk like this to my wife! She may not be as experienced like you nor has she witnessed such gruesome events, but she is still a wonderful and valuable pony. In fact, its you that is a worthless piece of junk! If this is your true self, If this is how you were a thousand years before. Then I won't lead your so called army!”

“How dare you!” Princess Celestia approached them rapidly. The metal clanging of her hoof-protectors underlined the massive force of her weight. Shining Armor didn't budge, still holding on to protect his wife no matter what. Before he could react, the massive hoof of Princess Celestia came at his face..

The white stallion flew through the room, tiny sprinkles of blood marked his flight path. He crashed into the wall and come to rest, motionless.

Princess Cadence's eyes followed the bleeding body flying through the air. Her breath halted immediately. In shock she waited for any life-sign of her husband, but he only laid there. Something strong, something that she never had felt like this before boiled inside Princess Cadence. It was pure anger. “NO!”

Her horn ignited in a bright pink light. Princess Celestia backed away, shocked from the amount of magic her niece was capable of using. Princess Cadence stared at her, her gaze passed Princess Celestia's eyes and drilled directly into her very soul. “Don't you dare touch him again! You aren't my aunt Tia anymore! You are a monster and I will stop you!”

A ray of channeled magic shot from the tip of Princess Cadence's horn. Princess Celestia took the blow directly to her chest. She was enveloped inside Princess Cadence magic and lifted high into the air, unable to move anymore. The determination in Princess Cadence eyes was undeniable. “I will turn you, not for us, but for your own sake!”

The magical aura became brighter and brighter every lasting second. Princess Celestia winced in pain. It only took a short moment before Princess Cadence broke the spell, and the Princess fell to the ground, panting heavily.

Her niece rushed over to her injured husband. Fortunately he was still breathing. Carefully he opened his eyes. Princess Cadence could finally smile, now that she was sure he would make it.

Princess Celestia watched them from the distance. Tears began to flow frankly over her face. “What have I done? How could I do such a horrible act of violence!”

She sank down to the ground, unable bear the guilt of beating one of her beloved subjects. Princess Cadence turned around, Shining Armor still in her hooves. “I'm glad you are back to normal.”

The traces of her tears were still visible on her pinkish fur. “The things you said… lets just say that wasn't you.”

Princess Celestia looked at her niece, how prideful and strong she looked. She couldn't believe that she had dared to tell something that horrible to her beloved niece. “Cadence… I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you or Shining Armor. It was just… while I slept, I saw such terrible things... I was in a graveyard, and behind me was a statue. I could only take a look at its base, the symbols of the Elements were engraved on it. Something inside of me must have switched. Please forgive me!”

The Princess of Love didn't need much time to think about what happened. “It seems like you're begging many ponies for forgiveness recently,” she smiled faintly, “But I will forgive you with ease. This wasn't the Tia I know, and as long as I'm at your side, the other Celestia won't return.”

The Solar Princess could offer a small smile upon the endless kindness of her niece. She rose to her full height again. Twilight didn't move or speak the whole time, she just watched as the Princesses fought. “But she is right. Not entirely, but we should march to Demon's Run.”

Rarity didn't want to witness such a horrible scene again, and she rushed over to Twilight and shook her heavily. “Not you too, Twilight! Please listen, we should help them and not betray them!”

Twilight pushed Rarity's hooves gently away and continued her statement. “Not this way. We should go there to buy them time. If Lunacy and his underlings enter after them, we could buy them some time, so Soul and Princess Luna have more time to receive the artifact.”

Shining Armor carefully stood up and limped towards the Princess. “I think Twily is right. We should go there, maybe we could help them after all. But we leave the guards out of this. I won't sacrifice any of them. They all have family, and if this is the last hour of Equestria, then they should spend it with them.”

The determination brought Twilight to present her chest proudly. But uncertainty took hold of her mind. “Then there is only one question left. Where is Applejack?”
-
Miles away high in the air, the four pegasi pulled the massive chariot through the air. This flight was poor of conversation and interaction, for most of the time Soul and Princess Luna had just sat there and watched the passing tops of the trees beneath them.

With worry the Princess of the Night watched her former student. She could feel that something was wrong by the way he took her sister and the other ponies out. She couldn't see any real reason to leave them entirely out. But since Soul had a plan, she won't question his methods, he gained far too much experience through his years as Captain of the Nightmare Legion to fail at such a point.

Bit for bit her eyes wandered down his back until they reached his cutie mark. She always wondered what the snake meant. They could never figure out its true meaning.

“Eyes forward, Soldier.” The Princess eyes quickly withdrew and focused on the stallion looking at her. As fast as noticed the Princess's gaze, he turned away.

Princess Luna was tired of the silence between them and took the initiative. “The snake on your flank. We never figured out what it is supposed to mean. Have you gained some ideas while you were exiled?”

Soul closed his eyes and switched to a more or less thinking position. His head tilted downwards and a humming noise grumbled out of him. “Star Swirl had told me once that is it my destiny to defeat him in battle and capture his power. Ever since then I thought that this may have a connection. But due to the latest developments I'm not sure anymore. At the moment it looks more like I’ve doomed a whole universe for the sake of a few single ponies.”

Princess Luna laid a supporting hoof upon his shoulder and flashed him a sympathetic smile. “I always dreamed about your cutie mark. I dreamed that it meant that you were eternal as I am, and that we could rule over our kingdom together until the dawn of time.”

He couldn't believe how sappy the Princess had become since the last time they had spoken frankly. “When did you became so sentimental? Haha, thank you, but let us be serious... I always wanted to ask you one question. Why me? Why did you take me with you?”

The Princess leaned back and slowly drifted into her memories. “When I came by your place, the only thing I saw was a dying Discord. I almost failed to see you. If I didn't turn around a second time, you would probably have died there due to your injuries. The reason I took you with me is quite easy. Besides your incredible potential, I didn't want another orphan to strive lonely through the woods. I took you in and tried my best to give you the love you deserved.”

Besides the wind that was furiously blowing through their manes, the sound of tears meeting the ground was audible. “Thank you. Thank you for everything.”

“Excuse me?” The Princess was astonished from the rare statement of the formerly so dreaded stallion.

Sheepishly Soul smiled at the Princess, little tears hung in the corners of his eyes. “Thank you, for being there for me. I can't make up for this ever again, Luna. May I be allowed to say, that if you ever had foals on your own, you would be a great mother.”

Flattered, the Princess turned away from Soul. Her gaze drifted away and focused again on the trees beneath them. “Soul! The forest is opening up, they're looking somehow ill if you ask me.”

Soul leaned over the railing and carefully searched his surroundings. “We're close to Demon's Run, the ground here is already absorbing the energy of living things. Guards! I order you to land!”

With a tight pull the chariot lost height and closed the distance to the ground until they landed softly. Soul and Princess Luna stepped out of the chariot and levitated their box to their feet. “You are free to choose to go back to the castle or home to your families. I wish you a nice day and… good luck.”

The guards were noticeable confused but they took the order without any contradictions. Princess Luna felt visibly uneasy while she stood on the ground, she choose rather to fly the whole time than stand on this wretched ground. “So what is in the box? I didn't notice that you'd packed it.”

Soul stared at the box and finally sat down in front of it, a few feet away. “So why did you come here?”

Princess Luna was caught quite off guard from such a strange question. “I'm here because you told me to and to protect my subjects.”

The stallion waved the Lunar Princess away and pointed his hoof at the box. “Not you. Her!”

Inside the wooden box something began to move. It clipped open and a orange mare climbed out. Bashfully she looked to the ground and drew circles onto the dirt. “Ah'm sorry, but Ah simply have to speak with ya again. Before it could be too late.”

Princess Luna's gaze wandered from Soul to Applejack and back multiple times. “I think I will check our surroundings.”

With that the Princess vanished between the few woods around them. Soul stared at Applejack for a moment before his horn begin to light up. She jumped a few inches back. “Don't send meh back! Ah just had to! Please!”

The wooden box next to Applejack broke apart and rearranged as flooring. In the same moment Applejack was lifted in the air and neatly placed on the wooden surface. Soul sat down right in front of her. “The ground is very unhealthy for non-magical and mortal beings. So please tell me what concerns you.”

Applejack scratched her hooves against the wooden layer, it was quite visible that she didn't feel comfortable right now. “Do ya remember the first time we met?”

Soul's raised eyebrow could already tell his answer. “Of course I remember. I'm not that old.”

The usually so confident mare hesitated massively, nevertheless she continued. “The last time we got interrupted by Apple Bloom. Ah wanted to tell ya before Equestria could fall and Ah never get the chance to.”

The black stallion made himself comfortable and laid carelessly down on the enchanted ground. “It is about your parents, right? Well, if this is your wish, I will listen to you.”

A faint smile formed upon her lips. Her gaze pointed upwards to the sky, like she was searching for something certain. “It all began when farm animals began to disappear, one by one. Of course, mah Dad was determined to find the culprit behind it and set traps all over the farm. The traps were built to keep bears and timberwolves away. If something triggered them, they were caught between poisoned metal-claws. It was such an awful method of defence. Mah Mother was always against these kinds of weapons but Dad wanted to do everything to ensure the safety of his family. He didn't allow us to play outside in the orchards as long as the culprits weren't found. At this time Mother was pregnant with Apple Bloom. And...-”

Applejack sank down, she couldn't hold her tears back. It became cold around her, this intense feeling of loneliness and sorrow returned to her. She began to shiver, the thoughts inside her head crossed. Almost completely she had forgotten that somepony was still around until a warm feeling emerged at her side. The smell of his coat reached her, in matter of seconds everything seemed fine and comfy again. She looked up to the stallion next to her. His eyes showed pure sympathy. “You don't have to if it is too much for you.”

The orange mare wiped away the tears and gave him a self-confident smile. “No, it is okay. So one day mah Mother wanted to check on mah Dad outside the barn. Time had passed and Dad returned but without our Mother. Mah bigger brother, Dad, and Ah went outside to look for her. The night had already began, so we had to hurry before the last daylight disappeared. It took two long hours until Ah found her. She was caught inside in one of the awful traps. Ah can't really remember the scene, it was too terrifying. At that time I still carried around a little plush pony. Mah Mother gave it to me when Ah was around Apple Bloom's age. I squeezed it tightly all the time while Dad tried to free Mother. The last sentence I heard from her was that he had to rescue Apple Bloom. Maybe this was the point where he had finally broken. Mah Dad had to cut open his own wife to rescue their little filly. Since then Big Mac never spoke frankly again. The day of the funeral was cloudy, not even the sun wanted to shine on this day. It was a wonderful goodbye. Days after, when Big Mac picked meh up from school, we found our Dad hanging in the barn. So we had to attend a second funeral in a month. Thank Celestia, Apple Bloom can't remember any of this, but for meh and mah brother, those were the most awful days of our lives. Ah didn't even notic that Ah had lost my plushy when we found Mother.”

Applejack cuddled herself deep inside the fur of the old stallion next to her. She wanted to make the most of the opportunity. Instead of pushing her away, Soul wrapped a hoof around Applejack. “So this is the reason you thought we had so much in common. We both lost our parents in a tragic way. But to be honest, your fate was much worse than mine. I don't remember my parents at all. I still can't remember anything before I fought Discord. So I have nothing to miss. But still, I can understand your pain. My words can't express how sorry I feel for you. But everything that happened in your past helped shape you to the wonderful mare next to me. The way you're treating your little sister is truly one of the most wonderful things I've seen since I returned. You should be proud about yourself. You're equally beautiful on the inside as on the outside. It doesn't matter what happens in the future… you have to promise me that you will walk down that path you've chosen a long time ago and won’t leave it! Together as family you are strong. Remember this... always.”

Pictures of his own past flashed in Soul's mind while Applejack still laid in his hooves. “There is still one thing that I don't understand. I separated your Element from you. Why are you still hitting on a old geezer like me? I could easily be the father of any of your friends, or if you consider my real age, the ancestor of various families.”

Soul could feel how Applejack rubbed her face against his coat. “Its easy. The Elements didn't drive meh to feel in such way for ya. They only told meh who ya were. When we met in front of Sweet Apple Acres, Ah didn't feel that way, it was like Ah knew you for a long time but Ah wasn't sure. While we talked, ya confirmed my knowledge about you. This is the reason Ah liked ya so much, ya have everything that a stallion needs. For the same reason Ah wanted ya to promise to start over when everything is settled.”

She pressed herself harder against Soul while a thought boiled up in her mind. “Would ya tell meh, what is the kind of relationship between ya and Princess Luna? Is she the reason ya turned meh down at the end?”

Soul couldn't suppress a small giggle, Applejack eyes shot open, a faint image of annoyance built up in her face. “At one point you suspected correct. I sure love Luna, but I think not in the way you imagine. She saved my life and gave me a new home. Luna was always there for me, I never missed my own mother because Luna filled that role perfectly. She gave me everything I needed, so in return, I did everything to satisfy her. Everyday I've trained my mind and body to become the perfect son, warrior, and Captain.”

The flapping sound of two massive wings rang through the air. Princess Luna approached them quickly. “I don't mean to interrupt you, but we have to hurry. The forest is dying, it seems like everything is messed up. I've found massive earth fissures all over the place.”

Soul carefully let loose of Applejack and left the wooden surface. Applejack wanted to follow immediately but couldn't bring herself to stand up, something held her in place. With watery eyes she followed the steps of the old stallion. “I'm sorry, but I can't let you follow us. It is too dangerous, wait here until Celestia and the others have caught up.”

She reached with her hoof after him but of course she couldn't touch him. His horn ignited in a weird mix of blue and golden magic. Next to Applejack a small dot, coloured in the same shade began to unfold. The light was so intense that she had to look away in order to protect her eyes. When she could finally look again, her voice faded almost completely. The plushy, she had lost years ago laid neatly placed next to her. “How is this possible? Ah didn't even described her to you.”

For a final time Soul turned around and offered her a weak smile. “You know, time is a funny thing. It doesn't really matter when you do something but what. Everything is just a big cycle with many other cycles inside, every single one has to end eventually. Keep it as remembrance, so you will never forget any of this.”

Princess Luna and Soul turned around and walked away from the still fixed earth pony. There was absolutely nothing she could do except wait for her friends to pick her up. Applejack waited until they were out of reach and couldn't hear her for sure. She held her plushy in a tight hug and watched their shadows vanish in the horizon. “Ya already know that ya won't return at all, Am Ah right? But ya promised that we will start over. Ya promised that ya would dance with Pinkie, fly with Rainbow, and return to us… return to meh. Don't do this to meh. Please… don't.”