• Published 26th Jan 2013
  • 2,286 Views, 156 Comments

Absolution - Cynewulf



Scootaloo is trapped on a ship in deep space with Ghosts and a computer who has problems of it's own.

  • ...
7
 156
 2,286

I. Supplemental: A History of Who I Love, The AfterPony

Supplemental: Personal Messages, 1 of 3
AFTERPONY PROJECT STATUS: LUNA MODULE “STAR MOTHER”
AfterPony Status 12%

1 of 14
[Sweetie Belle in her apartment, two weeks before launch.]

Is this thing on?


Hey, Scootaloo!


They tell me these will pop up every month or few weeks or so. Like, on your communications thingy or whatever. Isn’t that cool? I thought it was. The guys who gave me the camera also said that I can record a few more! So I guess I’ll do that this week. But this is my first one! The first one you’ll get. I should make it special!


I thought.... I thought you might like it if I wrote you a song? I know it must seem silly, like I’m trying to show off or something. But, I kind of miss playing and singing songs together. Remember when we were fillies? You, and me, and Apple Bloom would sing sometimes. Remember how you tried to write that song for the talent show? [She laughs.] I sure do. I’ll remember you banging your head against the keys in frustration forever.


I wanted to talk a little before I play it, though.


I miss you already, Scoots. I’m so proud of you... really, I am. You’re going into space! You’ll be like the first to go this far! That’s exciting... but I want you to be safe. I know you can’t promise me, but will you try? Being safe, I mean. Oh, I’m getting all confused. I meant to say something... but now I can’t remember how it went! Oh...


Anyhow. You’re on an adventure now! That must be exciting. I know I’d be scared to death, but I also know that you are the bravest! Scootaloo the Fearless! I think it’ll be a blast, flying up in space... seeing new things... I am a little afraid though, that you’ll be lonely. Nopony should be lonely.


So I’m gonna make a lot of these, okay? All week, before I have to give the camera back. Now, let me play that song for you! Oh boy, this’ll be the first... hold on. [Movement] Sorry! Had to situate myself with this keyboard. Now... this song is kind of soft, but I know you’ll like it. I call it... “Far.” It’s not exactly about your trip, but I was kind of thinking about it. Just another silly Sweetie Belle love song. They pay the bills! I know you probably think they’re corny.


4 of 14

[A Music Studio. A Piano is behind Sweetie Belle.]

Hey there, Scootalooooo! Long time no see! [She laughs.] Well, not that long for me! But maybe for you. Are you doing well? I sure hope so. I wonder if you’ll be listening to the music and the movies I picked out for you. Was it bad of me to put all my music on the list? I know you like some of it... I don’t really ask much. Rarity taught me to be polite, you know? I don’t know.


Anyway! I hope you like it. And I hope you like the furniture. Apple Bloom’s company provided all of it, and I know she worked on most of it herself. We planned it together, kind of. We wanted you to be comfortable when you weren’t working... and it was kind of a reminder of home and us! I wanted you to have something to remember me by, like a ribbon for your mane or something. Only with music!


Working on my new album today. I really wish I had something to send up with you of it, but we just started. But won’t that give you something to look forward to? We can listen to it together! [She leans back, and the camera moves with her as she speaks, held in her magic.] I’ll have you over... I mean, what’s-his-name can come too. [She laughs, and looks away from the camera, over at her producer, who is offscreen.] But yeah. You and me, my house, I’ll burn you some food and we can listen to it together. I’m working on a new song, probably thinking about you and your silly-looking donut-stick ship. It’s called “Pearl of the Stars.” Maybe... I’ll play it for you. [She smiles at the camera.]


7 of 14

[Alone. Sweetie Belle’s apartment, low lighting. Time Stamp reads 23:00 Hours]


It just... snuck up on me, you know?


When you told us two years ago that you were going into the Space Program to be a pilot, it was all a pipe dream. I didn’t get what that would mean. Not at all. And then I stopped seeing you as much. And then what’s-his-name and you were busy and you saw us, but not as much. You had him, and Apple Bloom found some nice colt, and I don’t even know his name. But I had my music, I guess... and you came to my shows sometimes. But a year, Scootaloo. A whole year. Won’t it be...

[Sweetie Belle stares at the screen for 1:54, in silence.]


I’m sorry, these should be happy. I just... can’t bring myself to push that little button. I’m sorry, Scoot. Even I’m sad sometimes. But it just means I miss you, okay? And that means I love you. We all love you.



13 of 14

[Sitting in front of a window on a love seat in her apartment, time stamp reads 14:46.]

Can I play you a song? I had this awful dream, last night... something terrible happened. You were floating, and there was this cord holding you to that stupid cigar ship... and I wrote this song. About you. And about me. They tell me you won’t get this until like, five or six months in or something? Or later?


I’m glad that the Princess guaranteed me privacy with these. When we came and saw you, I heard someone say a word that stayed with me all day today. AfterPony. Do you know what that means? I don’t. It sounds strange... and kind of exciting. Mysterious! That’s the word. I didn’t know what it meant, though, so I kind of just used it and made it mean what I wanted it to mean.


So I kind of wrote you a song. It’s called “The AfterPony”, and it is about you and me. I know I already said that. I’m sorry, I’m just kind of nervous. You know me and new songs! Where’s that...? [She moves off camera, looking for her keyboard. She returns, and sets it up with difficulty. It slides, and she grimaces at the camera. Sweetie Belle looks at it for 0:22 before laughing weakly.]

Oh. Sorry... I... need my guitar. I learned how to play that, did you know? Magic. I’m getting better all the time. Hold on.

[She moves out of the camera’s view, talking.]


I just figured. I mean, I played you other songs. Some of them won’t be on the album. Maybe. I don’t know.


[Sweetie Belle returns with a guitar in her magical aura. She sits on her haunches in front of the camera.]


Well then.

She gave her heart to a falling star...




14 of 14


[Crying.]

I’m so sorry. I’m sorry. I know I shouldn’t have. I just can’t delete them, Scootaloo. I just can’t. I’ll give those ponies all the files. I know this is just burdening you... you don’t have to watch these. I don’t know how to tell you that in a way that won’t make you just want to watch them more! Oh, Celestia... oh, gods, Scootaloo, I’m so stupid. I’m sorry. I’m sorry for all these songs.


Please come home. Please come home and be mad at me. Or weirded out... or something. Please.


I love you.

Author's Note:

("The Afterman", Coheed and Cambria")