• Published 28th Dec 2012
  • 2,643 Views, 116 Comments

Letters From the Path of Loss - Tavi n Scratch



After the loss of someone near and dear to me, Princess Celestia recommended that I write a letter to my lost companion.

  • ...
9
 116
 2,643

25th, Eleven Months and Two Weeks After Death

Love of mine,

We have come now to the end.

I asked to visit home one more time, and the nurse obliged. I can’t walk anymore, my nerve connection with my legs has all but severed. She put me in a wheelchair and pushed me into town. On our way, I took time to remember since that is basically all I can do.

I saw where the chariot first landed when I arrived in Ponyville all those years ago as a pony who cared more about books than others.

I saw a dirt road that lead to a farm called “Sweet Apple Acres” where I met a hardworking pony named Applejack. She showed me how important it is to be truthful. Honestly, I love you.

I saw a bakery called “Sugarcube Corner” where a fun-loving pony named Pinkie Pie works. She taught me that a little smile goes a long way. You could always make me laugh, even on the worst days.

I saw a solitary tree just outside town where I first encountered a timid pegasus named Fluttershy. She helped me understand that kindness is always welcome. You always treated me like your princess.

I saw a clothing shop called “Carousel Boutique” where I met a glamourous unicorn named Rarity. From her I learned that a generous heart is a wondrous trait. You openly shared your love with me.

I saw a bridge where I first spoke to the love of my life, a pegasus named Rainbow Dash. She was beautiful, exciting and loyal to the core. You spent your life with me, all the way until it was cut short.

I saw a grand tree called “Golden Oaks Library” where lived an egghead of a pony named Twilight Sparkle. She learned that love is a magical thing. Sharing that with you was greater than anything.

We went through the door to see the library with the quiet buzz of a Saturday afternoon. Sparkler Hooves, my assistant librarian for some time, had taken over as the caretaker and attendant of the library. I saw ponies I’d known for quite some time. Roseluck was flipping through an almanac, hoping to gain some advice for her flower garden this year. Vinyl was flipping through some, well, vinyls. Bon Bon was checking out new sweets recipes. In fact, everything seemed normal.

It hit me then. I’m the only one that’s dying. The town will still be here, living and thriving. The rhythm might skip a single beat when I die, but then it will continue on, strong and steady, as if nothing happened. In the little scheme of things, I was so big. But in the big scheme of things, I am just so little. My world may end, but the world won’t stop. Luna will will lower the moon and Celestia will raise the sun. I guess this “walk” has helped me realize it.

I get it now, I know why you left me. It was your time, you didn’t choose it, but it chose you. This life is a gift, but it’s one that we borrowed. Eventually it must be returned. Sometimes we are called upon to give it back before we hoped we would have to, but it isn’t up to us.

I decided I wanted to make one last stop before it was all over. I told the nurse and we were on our way. We rolled on out to the edge of Ponyville, towards the green rolling hills of the haunting cemetery. We rolled towards the willow where I was on my previous visit. I told her I wished I could read the name of the pony buried beneath the tree. She simply stated that my wife was buried there. I guess you’ve never been all that far from me this entire time. I mustered all my energy and pointed to the small plot of land next to you.

There, please bury me there. I could not stand being any further away from my wife.

I’m glad I made the decision that I did, to remember you until the end. Thanks to you, I have a true understanding of love. One cannot have joy without despair.

You cannot have love without at least once going down the path of loss.

I love you, with a love purified by the pains of despair,

Twilight Sparkle.