• Published 27th Dec 2012
  • 7,238 Views, 390 Comments

Population: One - Trials



It's been eighty-nine days since the Day of Darkness, and Twilight Sparkle is still on her own. Eighty-nine days since she talked to anyone other than herself.

  • ...
18
 390
 7,238

Same Old, Same Old

***************************************************************************

Population: One

By Trials

Proofread by Fluttrick

Special thanks to Alondro and Amit

***************************************************************************

Chapter 1: Same Old, Same Old

***************************************************************************

Well, same old, same old.

It's been eighty-nine days since the 'Day of Darkness', as I've taken to calling it. Eighty-nine days on my own. Eighty-nine days since I've last talked to anyone other than myself. It's been strange, I have to admit, and it's obviously going to continue being strange — today is, as I've previously mentioned, the same old, same old. Eighty-nine days ago, I wouldn't have been saying that, but here we are: eighty-nine days in the future.

Oh, by the way, I've taken to calling them 'days', because I've been measuring time in twenty-four hour periods. That used to be the same as normal days, I'll grant you that, but there are no longer any days. Literally. That's where the name: “Day of Darkness” comes from, because all I've seen from that day forth is darkness. A 'day' would suggest sunlight, you'd think, but this one proved differently. In fact, give me a moment.

Yup, just looked outside again. It's still dark.

Anyway, eighty-nine days ago, it was a normal day in Ponyville. Well, I say: 'normal' — my definition of the word has slightly changed over the past months. As far as I know, it was a normal day in Ponyville. Let's just say that. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, and everyone seemed... well, normal. Not mutated. Not vicious shadows of their former selves, but just normal ponies.

I vaguely remember searching for a book, here in the library, when there was an explosion of black, pulsating energy darting through the sky. Even though I was obviously occupied finding a book, it was still pretty eye-catching. Before long, I grew faint. Whatever the pulse was, it messed with my head, and I simply couldn't think straight. When I woke from the unconsciousness state I must've fell into, it was dark outside.

“Well, that's just normal. Must be night,” I remember telling myself. I paid the darkness no mind, but it soon became apparent that I was wrong to do so. As I waited for the dawn that never came, it never occurred to me that some sort of catastrovent might have happened. Oh, yes, 'castastrovent'. Just a hybrid word I made up, combined with “catastrophic”, and “event”. Means what it sounds like: a catastrophic event. Don't judge me — as the last pony in Ponyville, I reserve the right to create words. In fact, let me just write that in my handy, dandy dictionary.

There.

Anyway, so after the first few days, I began to realise something was off. The electricity, for one, which I never needed in the first place, anyway, but the whole where-is-everypony and oh-Celestia-why-is there-no-light thing. Even Spike wasn't around, which was odd, seeing as though he usually followed me around like some form of little, lost lamb. Seriously, it was still dark outside, and I couldn't see a single pony. Wait, just give me a second.

Nope — still dark, and I still can't see a single pony.

So, after a couple of days of this, I grew curious. I ventured outside in search of company; in search of an answer, but I found neither. Instead, I found something else entirely. Something that should've stayed in the darkness there, and should never have been discovered. Something that makes me keep a constant lock the doors, windows and any other entrances into this very library.

Something that I once recognised, but no longer could.


“Damn it!” Twilight Sparkle said. She shook the quill vigorously, attempting to squeeze out any unused ink. “Out of ink,” she confirmed with a sigh. The unicorn glanced around the candlelit room. “You'd think that, in a library,” she said, “there'd be more ink.” Twilight had already found the hidden ink stashes, even the ones behind the books, but she was now completely out. Another thing to add to the insurmountable list of supplies she needed to get.

Twilight turned to write “ink” on said list, but remembered her inability to do so. “Oh, the irony,” she mused. With a flick of her hoof, Twilight threw the quill away. There was simply no use in a quill without ink, at least not until she got some more.

Twilight was, as she liked to think, an academic pony. Despite the obvious changes in the recent months, what, with the catastrovent and all, she'd still managed to keep up her studies. Hygiene and looks may have, perhaps, fallen by the wayside, but at least there were no ponies around to judge her. For some reason, the darkness had worsened her vision, forcing her to wear a pair of studious-looking glasses in front of her lavender eyes. Twilight didn't really care, as she normally had to wear them when reading, anyway.

After all Twilight been through, she'd managed to keep some form of journal, in which she'd write about any thoughts or experiences she had encountered. It wasn't for any beneficial purpose; it was just something to keep her somewhat sane — something even she had to admit was pretty damned hard. Until day eighty-nine, today, Twilight had had enough ink to satisfy her interests, but now it was all gone.

“Well, there's only one thing for it,” she said. “I had to go out and get some food, anyway.” Since the Day of Darkness, Twilight had found the company of herself rather hospitable — especially as she was the only one able to talk back. Instead of talking to no-one, not allowing herself to share the... different experiences Twilight had seen and heard, she talked to herself. Without a doubt, the mare would've gone insane, or at least a little more insane than she already was, if she refused to do so.

Twilight reached for her coat, threw it over her and put the hood over her head. She placed the saddlebags onto her back carefully, tightening the straps accordingly. With a quick peek, she confirmed the correct contents of them. Twilight took a deep breath before opening the numerous locks on the doors. The pony had to be quiet, else the lurkers would be on her in an instant. As the fourth and final lock opened, she pushed the door with a shaking hoof. Twilight glanced around Ponyville, making sure no lurkers were hiding around the corners.

“Lurkers” was what Twilight called them. She'd only encountered them a few times, but that was a few times too many. Strange creatures, she noted, as they'd somehow evolved to live in the constant darkness. “Evolved” was the key word there — for some reason, on the Day of Darkness, all the inhabitants of Ponyville, besides herself, of course, turned into these “lurkers” overnight. Twilight didn't know why she was the only one left, or why everyone changed, for that matter. Perhaps in her unconscious state she'd managed to evade some form of transformation in the black energy she saw on that day. It mattered not, for she was alive, and the others less so.

With a small shriek, Twilight fell to the cold ground. She looked beneath her hoof, locating the culprit that tripped her. A small twig lay crushed on the grass, and with a sigh, she threw the remains away. Twilight rubbed her hoof furiously, attempting to dull the pain. It was nothing compared to what other things could do, but it still hurt. Picking herself up, she delved back into her own thoughts before moving on.

Regardless, these lurkers were a real threat. They had undergone massive transformations from their previous animal forms, evolving into something far more suited to the darkness that now surrounded them. Instead of keeping the ability to see, which was rendered pointless in such dark conditions, they'd evolved their senses of smell and hearing. The result was terrifying, turning them from colourful, carefree ponies to efficient predators of the night. Seemingly, all forms of emotion and mercy had gone, alongside with sight. Why, just the other day, on day seventy-eight, Twilight saw a lurker take down an entire family of bunnies. Cute, fluffy, harmless bunny rabbits, just gone in an instant.

What was worse, though, what was, oh, so much worse, was the pony doing it.

Twilight gulped. Thoughts had to go to the back of her mind — what mattered most was getting the supplies she needed. She closed the door behind her, flinching as it clicked softly. Any noise would attract lurkers, so she had to be careful. Reaching into the pocket of her coat, Twilight pulled out her list of supplies. First and foremost, in red ink and underlined: food. Of course — one of the hardest things to find since the Day of Darkness. Back before this all happened, Twilight could simply order a sandwich of some kind, but not now. She had to scavenge and search for her own survival.

Walking through the streets of Ponyville, Twilight had her eyes watching every corner. There was a hay supply nearby, but she'd never had the opportunity to snatch all of the food in one sitting. Either it would be too heavy, and she'd have to drop some along the way, or the lurkers would come too close for comfort, forcing her to abandon it in favour of her continued existence. Twilight had to find the perfect balance — enough for her to survive, but not enough to raise attention. With food on her mind, she licked her lips. She hadn't eaten for quite some time, in fact, and she was in dire need of some.

As Twilight moved further and further away from the library, towards where she knew the hay was, her surroundings grew darker; she had cast an illumination charm over the library. It turned out that the lurkers did have a weakness — because they were creatures of the dark, they weren't exactly accustomed to the light. Although their sense of vision had been eradicated, the darkness that resided in all them didn't exactly appreciate light. For example, whenever one of them came remotely close to Twilight's home, after she'd discovered light was their weakness, of course, they would begin to smoulder. Only gently at first — so gently that the lurker wouldn't even notice. If left unattended for so long, however, they would go up like kindling.

Twilight had only experienced such an event twice — lurkers would usually figure out that it was the light causing their bodies to ignite, but the unfortunate, perhaps dumb, ones would just have to learn the hard way. The unicorn shuddered under her coat; even after day eighty-nine those sorts of things disturbed her. After approximately three months, she should be used to it by now, but it was easier said than done. Just another thought to put at the back of her mind. A faraway cry echoed in the distance, breaking her train of thought. The frown on Twilight's face grew larger.

Twilight trudged on, her hoofsteps gradually becoming slower and quieter as the risk of detection grew. It was now pitch black, so she could tell she was right on the lurkers' doorstep. Twilight glanced around cautiously; her eyes looking for shadowy figures. Before long, she'd located the remaining hay for the third time that month. It was in a barn — nothing as big as Applejack's, but just as simple and effective. With a tensed hoof, Twilight pushed the large doors open. There was a creak of wood, and the mare stood still on the spot.

A high-pitched, spine-tingling shriek emerged from the right of her. Frozen to the spot, Twilight turned her head to see a lone lurker a mere couple of metres away. It was a horrid thing; its teeth, sharpened to a point, were hanging out of its mouth, its claws flexed and relaxed at will and its pair of black, unseeing eyes settled directly on the unicorn.

As quick as a whip, Twilight jumped into the barn and closed the door behind her. In her haste, she'd forgotten about the impact of the noise. When the barn doors slammed shut, a loud crash echoed around the building, filling every nook and cranny with noise. Twilight grimaced as another shriek came from outside, even closer than the last time.

“Oh, manure,” she said with a hiss.

Priorities. Twilight needed priorities. At the moment, she stood in a barn, deep in lurker territory, who, of course, were practically knocking at the door. She predicted she had no less than thirty-three seconds before they'd storm the place, their teeth bared, and their violence unwavering. Twilight looked around the barn quickly, but the only exit was where she came from. “Joy,” she said simply, rolling her eyes.

The barn looked very similar to another she'd seen precisely ninety-one days ago. It had pillars of the same size and wood, and the smell was, oh, so familiar. Twilight tried to focus on the matter at hoof, but the old building reminded her so much of her friend. On day ninety-one, she'd had an argument with Applejack. The argument didn't matter; neither of them had won, anyway. What did matter, however, was the fact that Twilight hadn't left her on a good note, and, because of the current situation, she'd never managed to apologise. One day, she hoped, in the near future, she'd make it up to her. Perhaps when every lurker had vanished, Applejack wouldn't remain a painful memory in Twilight's mind. Not a day went by that she didn't think about it, and she'd been left plenty of time to think.

The mare wiped a tear from her cheek. Now was not the time for tears or memories — it was the time for escape. Hay was sitting in the corner, and she began scooping hooffuls of the stuff into her coat pockets. Provided Twilight did make it out of here alive, she'd still need food. Oh, how she would've liked to sit down for a while, to savour the taste of approximately-three-month-old hay, but there were more pressing matters at hand. The noises of scratching sounded from the barn doors. Not a lone pair of claws, however — it was joined by the scratching of others.

With all the hay Twilight could possibly stuff into her pockets, and only thirteen seconds left on her prediction, she began to search through her saddlebags. A bead of sweat rolled down her forehead as she tried to concentrate; there was only one thing that would save her from this predicament. It wasn't very probable, but it was better than nothing. Her hooves became more erratic as her search continued. “Aha!” Twilight cried triumphantly, readying the multiple pouches in her hoof. Six seconds left.

The scratching suddenly grew in noise and power, the very claws appearing through the thin planks of wood. A snarl erupted from a particularly large hole in the wood — one of the lurkers had obviously picked up her scent. Perfect. Two seconds before Twilight's prediction, the barn doors tore open. Eight lurkers pounced into the hay-filled barn, snarling and hissing primitively. They sniffed the air as they hunted the pony, their ears perked up. Twilight picked this moment to set off her distractions.

With a flick of her hoof, Twilight sent the multiple pouches through the air, all harmlessly bouncing off the left side of the barn . They did nothing at first, only turning the heads of the lurkers by the sound. As they moved closer to investigate, gas began drifting up from each pouch. Even from behind several bales of hay, Twilight could smell the strong, pungent scent of the gas. She looked over the hay, seeing the lurkers become instantly attracted to the pouches.

As much as Twilight would've liked hovering around, as much as she would've simply loved being mauled to death by merciless predators, she decided to run.

She jumped over the stacks of hay, swerving to the right of the barn. One lurker decided to inspect the sound of hooves, but was quickly discouraged by a kick to the face. Of course, that only made it angry. It turned around just in time to growl viciously at Twilight as she ran out of the barn. Twilight returned through the route she had traveled through previously, utilising the streets and building of Ponyville for cover.

The good and bad thing about lurkers was their heightened sense of hearing and smell. It made them the perfect predators for everything, bar Twilight. Such advantages could be exploited, especially by somepony such as Twilight Sparkle. Their sense of smell, for example, could be overridden by just about anything smellier than herself. The various ingredients in her pouch made short work of that. She was still working on their sense of hearing, but it wouldn't be long before she'd find a breakthrough.

Twilight momentarily looked back on her attackers. Only one lurker was following, much to her relief, but it was hot on her heels. If she slipped up at any point, or the lurker called for reinforcements, like they usually did on such an occasion, she'd be dead. Not exactly a quick or worthy death, but a death, nonetheless. Twilight threw the saddlebags from her hips, attempting to reduce the weight she carried. In the process, the bags hit the lurker square-on in the face. It yelped in pain, slowing down immediately. Moments later, Twilight glanced back to find nothing following her.

The mare continued running, even when her hooves began to hurt. Twilight had slowly walked the entire way before, but that was before detection. As soon as a group of lurkers found you, they wouldn't stop hunting until they had to stop, meaning that some would probably still be stalking her, waiting for her to drop her guard, or perhaps to slow down. Twilight wouldn't give them the satisfaction of either scenarios.

Twilight sped on through the streets, and just as she predicted, another high-pitched roar echoed off of the buildings. Several more lurkers pounced from corners, alleys and the tops of buildings, all converging on their collective prey. They had group work, and she didn't — something in which they took advantage in. Another benefit they had over Twilight was their enhanced running abilities. If the unicorn considered herself as a fast runner, then these guys were the fastest. Regardless of how much energy Twilight put into running, they caught up effortlessly, their jaws constantly snapping at her hooves.

It was time to switch tactics.

With the dwindling amount of energy Twilight had left, she powered up her horn. For some reason, her magic was less effective in the darkness. Whether it was another of the lurkers' various skills or just another invariable variable in this dark world, she found her magic to be a lot weaker. That didn't mean she couldn't be of any use, however, but it was still considerably weaker to what she normally had in the light.

A purple, glowing energy filled the horn atop Twilight's head, bursting into pure brilliance. The intensity of her magical light made the following lurkers stop in their tracks, making some even lightly smoulder. They roared back at her from the safety of the shadows, running with her as the ball of light followed her. Twilight couldn't hold them off for long, though, as evidenced by the sweat pouring from her head. She had to concentrate, and concentrate she did. “Just... just one h-hoof in front of the o-other, Twilight,” she told herself softly.

Darkness began to sap her strength, but she carried on moving. Over the past couple of months, Twilight had noticed that the darkness had some effect over her. It didn't take long to notice — whenever she went outside for a prolonged amount of time, she'd begin to feel weak and tired. On more than one occasion, Twilight had been tempted to sleep outside just out of exhaustion, but her instincts told her not to.

The library rolled into sight, its orthodox, candlelit windows catching her eye. Twilight grinned. With a wave of her horn, she stopped the spell of light. The mare could hear the hooves of lurkers nearing, but she didn't care. It hadn't taken them long to catch up, but it didn't matter; Twilight was home, and there was nothing they could do about it.

As the unicorn got closer to her library, the numerous pairs of hooves behind her came to a stop. Screeching filled the air, and looking back, Twilight could just see the disappointment of a lost meal on each lurker's face. They roared angrily at her, saliva spraying from their mouths. Twilight would've taunted them, but she felt no need — even if they were bloodthirsty predators of the night, they were, only previously, her neighbours and friends. Although it just didn't seem fitting to do so, she felt no need to sympathise with them, either. In some circumstances, like today, it would either be them or her, and Twilight didn't feel like being eaten.

With a swish of her tail, the unicorn turned back to the library — her library. Twilight had survived another day, and only time would tell what day ninety would bring. Twilight opened the door, letting herself in before closing it shut. Once in, she took off the heavy coat in the corner of the library, emptying the pockets below her. Stacks upon stacks of hay fell out, and a massive grin spread across her face. “This'll last for weeks!” she mused happily, rubbing her hooves together.

Twilight was only interrupted by the opening of her door. As soon as the door clicked, she dived behind the numerous bookshelves. She'd had devised an escape plan just in case this ever happened, but fear blocked her memory. There was something at her door, something that had evaded the light charm around the library. Twilight leaned to the right of the bookshelf, taking a look at the intruder.

It was a lurker.

Twilight had never seen a lurker close up. While it was there, she began to take mental notes of its appearance. It was completely black in colour from head to hoof, for obvious night camouflage purposes. Even in the dim light of the candles, Twilight could see the piercing, black eyes of the lurker. Aside from the obvious differences in bigger muscle development, physical claws and sharpened teeth, tailored specifically for meat, lurkers were quite similar to Twilight, herself. In fact, the similarities between them almost frightened her.

More to the point, there was a lurker roaming inside her library, which, of course, was a bit of a problem. Seeing as though they would usually remain outside, seeing it inside, with the light, was a worry. Twilight reached for the blade in her saddlebags, but quickly remembered the earlier incident — she'd dropped them to escape. “Out of the frying pan...” Twilight muttered quietly.

As the words left her mouth, the lurker's ears perked up. It began snarling, its sharp teeth bared for attack. Twilight gulped, watching it prowl around the bookshelves. It was searching for her, and she couldn't do anything about it. Her magic was all used up from her earlier encounter; the darkness hadn't been much help in that respect. Twilight glanced around, looking for tools of any sort, when something caught her eye.

A letter opener — a blunt weapon at that, but a weapon, nonetheless. Twilight sneaked over to the desk where it sat. With a shaky hoof, she retrieved it, holding it loosely. She raised it, readying herself for the attack. Twilight moved behind the lurker, making sure her hoofsteps were quiet. Once in position, directly behind it, she connected both hooves, poised for attack. Twilight closed her eyes tightly, her hooves shaking with the blade. She raised her forelegs above her head.

As Twilight brought it down, the lurker quickly turned. It immediately grabbed her by the hooves, unintentionally dragging her down on top of it, its unseeing eyes staring up at the unicorn. Snarling in annoyance, it tried to prise the blade from her hooves. It was strong, but Twilight was stronger. With all of her force, the letter opener neared its destination, closing in on the lurker's jugular vein; it was merely inches away. The lurker was losing hold of her hooves, shrieking in denial. Although Twilight had never had to kill before, she knew precisely how to do it. It was struggling, she could tell, and it began to squirm under her weight.

It looked up at her with what looked like fear in its dark eyes. With a scream of surprise, Twilight fell back on the wooden planks. She'd never seen a lurker with emotions. The impact loosened her grip of the weapon, almost letting the lurker grab the handle. Seeing it try, Twilight sat back up quickly, pinning it back down to the floor with the letter opener firmly back in her hooves. Another shriek of rage came from the beast, obviously realising its futile attempt. Twilight grew ever closer to ending its life. She surely had a right to kill it — anything that came into her library was considered fair game. Neither participants would like it, but it was necessary. Again, Twilight closed her eyes; she couldn't bear to look. It would only take a little more force — that was all, and then she could go back to whatever the hell she was doing before. Same old, same old, eh, Twilight?

Same old, same old.

Her hooves edged closer, bringing the letter opener with them. Twilight gritted her teeth, waiting for contact.

“Wait! I'm not one of them!” the beast screamed from beneath her. Twilight looked down at the lurker in shock, her mouth wide open. No longer struggling, it began to transform into different colours, mirroring the palette of a rainbow. The shape of the body began to change beneath Twilight's weight, forming something else entirely.

Well, there is a first for everything.