• Published 23rd Dec 2012
  • 2,470 Views, 91 Comments

Another Life - Ironwolves21



Years of killing; a hundred broken bodies, friend and foe, all leading to this point in time. The singular moment where every life Riot has ended comes back to haunt him. The moment when he stops being a soldier, and starts being a pony again.

  • ...
5
 91
 2,470

Chapter Seven

A week and a half later.

Riot sat in sugarcube corner, staring out the window at the ponies who drifted by. He sipped at his cup of coffee, listening half-heartedly to the Cakes talk about what to do for their foals first birthdays. Pinkie was trotting around, doing her job quietly, for once. That alone was enough to raise suspicion. Riot had been practically in hiding for the past week and a half. He had managed to rent a motel room, but hadn’t wandered outside much except for food and the like. He hadn’t spoken with Wild, Vinyl, or anypony. Ponies were starting to whisper.

He looked out the window, and saw a few ponies setting up Nightmare Night decorations. It was nearly time for that, he’d practically forgotten. The stallion was still pondering this when Rarity trotted in with Sweetie Belle in tow. Rarity smiled at him coyly, and Sweetie giggled; both trotting over.

“Hello Mister Riot!” Sweetie said happily, hugging his foreleg.

“Hey Sweets, how’s it going?” He focused on the filly, hoping to keep any conversations with Rarity short and to the point.

She smiled. “Things have been good, but is Hunter okay? I asked him why he was so sad lately, but he didn’t want to talk about it.” The filly frowned.

“He’s doing fine Sweetie, he’s just not feeling very well right now.” He ruffled the fillies mane, much to Rarity's horror. “Just be nice to him and he’ll be fine.”

Sweetie nodded. “Something’s been off with Miss Cheerilee, too. Do you know what’s going on? I saw you talking to her a week or so ago.”

Riot shrugged. “Not sure kiddo, she’s a mystery.” He turned back to his coffee and paper. “Anyways, it was good talking with you Sweetie, maybe when Hunters feeling better you can come over and play with him?”

The filly smiled widely, nodding. “Mmhmm! That sounds like fun!” She looked over to her sister, who was standing impatiently by the counter. “I’ll have to see you later, bye Mr. Riot!”

He waved a hoof at her, the watched for a moment as Rarity went into deep discussion with Pinkie. He shuddered a bit at the thought of Pinkie planning anything, and he hoped it wouldn’t have anything to do with him. Although, despite everything, he actually didn’t mind the bright mare. She was one of the few mares in town who didn’t seem to care about trying to mate with him.

Riot exhaled slowly, putting the mornings paper down. He hadn’t really talked with anypony for the past few days now, and the isolation suited him fine. The most he managed was a quick conversation that he always ended quickly. He lifted his head, stealing one last glance out the window.

Something on the telephone pole drew his attention. Something familiar. He got up out of the booth and trotted towards the door, having already payed for his coffee. He came to a stop outside, then pulled at the fold out pamphlet with a hoof. It popped off its staple, then flopped open.

THE DANGERS OF POST TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER

PONIES AFFECTED BY THIS DISEASE ARE PRONE TO VIOLENCE AND IRRATIONAL THOUGHT. THEY ARE A DANGER TO EVERYPONY, AND CANNOT BE TOLERATED BY OUR TOWN. PONIES AFFECTED ARE OFTEN THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN IN THE -

Riot didn’t read another word, he tore the thing in two and quickly stomped it into the ground. He muttered under his breath angrily, his eyes going down the street to search for a culprit. They went wide in horror, seeing dozens of pamphlets stapled up on every surface, taped to every shop window. There were more than a few ponies who were reading them, and most of them seemed to be nodding their heads. HOW THE FUCK DID I MISS THIS!? Riot balked, his mind wandering.

His thoughts eventually went to Redheart. She was one of the few ponies in town who seemed to know much about the disorder, but she didn’t seem like the kind of pony to go around putting something as malicious as that pamphlet up all over town. She was an option, but a very unlikely one.

Riot shook his head slowly. “This just keeps getting better and better...” He started trotting down the street, not entirely sure as to where to go. He had been taking time off from his night job due to Redhearts advice. He didn’t want any incidents, and drunks were bad for his goals. Not to mention he hadn’t really fixed the issue with Vinyl or Wild; so he was staying at a motel near the outskirts of town.

He needed something to keep his mind occupied, something to hold his attention. Riot altered his course, then started trotting towards the library. At the most he may be able to get somewhat of an idea as to who was posting a wanted poster for anypony who’d ever been shot at all over town. At the very least he’d kill some time.

The grey unicorn was only slightly surprised at finding that the library was contained inside a tree. It was massive, large enough for what looked like a third floor balcony. He raised a hoof, and knocked a few times. What surprised him the most was that a small green and purple scaled thing greeted him, a tiny dragon.

“Woah, I haven’t seen you around town before...” The small dragon said, looking waaaay up into the bottom of Riot’s chin.

“And I didn’t think I’d meet a dragon when I went to the library.” Riot deadpanned before smiling apologetically at the tiny reptile. “Mind if I come in?”

The little dragon smiled up at him. “Yeah, it’s always a surprise for first-timers. But I’m more surprised with you! You look like you could take Big Mac in a hoof-wrestle.” He said, awed at Riot’s size. He moved to the side, allowing the stallion entry to the small library.

“Thanks, I’m Riot.” He offered a hoof to the dragon after trotting in; allowing the door to click closed behind him.

“Spike.” He said, holding out his claws in a fist, and bumping the stallion’s hoof. “Normally Twilight is around to keep things in order, but she’s out for the day, so her number one assistant has to hold down the fort.” Spike said, picking up a small pile of books, and depositing them on a table.

Riot nodded slowly, taking in the rows of books. “I know the feeling.” He trotted up to one of the shelves, but it was pretty obvious he wasn’t sure what to look for.

The dragon looked at him curiously. “What is a big pony like you doing in a library anyway? Aren’t you busy being cool somewhere, instead of hanging out in a library?”

The stallion laughed, before slowly shaking his head. “I’m not one for big crowds.” He picked up a medium sized tome, then turned it over to give the back a quick read. “You don’t happen to have anything to do with mental disorders or PTSD?”

“Mental dishuh, and ptswhat?” Spikes head cocked to the side, not understanding.

“Any books with info about brain problems?”

“Oooooh...” He said with recognition, taking a look into the large shelves.

Riot smiled lightly, then went back to looking over the shelves. “Let’s see here... Daring Doo and the Temple of Doom, Trees and you....Singing for dummies? Feh....” He turned the book over. “Learn how to control your voice and...Hah, free your soul.” He placed the book on a table behind himself. “What a crock.”

Spike looked up at him from a different shelf. “Is this what you’re looking for?” He asked, holding up a thick book titled Neurology and You .

Riot nodded, taking the book in his magic. “May as well take a look at it. Hopefully try and figure out what everypony’s all angry about.”

“What do you mean?” Spike asked, still curious about the large stallion in front of him.

“You haven’t seen any of the flyers up around town?” He scowled heavily. “Somepony’s got it out for soldiers...”

“I knew it!” The young dragon said, pumping his clawed fist. “I knew you were a soldier pony!”

Riot managed a chuckle. “What gave it away?”

“Dunno, you being super awesome, and your badass scars!” He said, poking at one of the ones curling around Riots foreleg with a claw.

Riot cocked an eyebrow. “Super awesome? Since when?”

“Well...I don’t really know why, but you’re just....cool.” Spike said, lowering his arms.

“Heh, you and Hunter would get along well.” Riot looked around, but didn’t see any of the malicious flyers up. “Is there anypony in town who doesn’t like soldiers?”

“Hmm.....not sure. Why? Have you been having trouble with ponies because you are in the military?”

“Not really, just somepony’s been putting up flyers around town. They’re pretty much an attack on anypony who served in the REA.”

Spike scrunched up his green and purple snout. “Who would want to do that? You protected them!”

“My exact thoughts.” Riot shook his head quickly, before holding up two books. “I’ll sign these out, if I get bored I’ll come back.”

The little dragon nodded rapidly. “Come on back whenever you want, I bet you have some really cool stories. I bet Twilight would like to hear them too!”

Riot was midway through his goodbye when the door opened. “Spi-iiiike!?” The same purple pony from the club a week and a bit ago trotted inside, a number of objects floating next to her in a sheath of magic. She jumped slightly when she saw Riot. “O-Oh....Hello...” She kept her voice cheerful and welcoming, but her eyes betrayed her animosity towards the large stallion.

“Oh, so you’re Twilight.” He nodded to the small dragon. “Thanks for your help little guy.” He started trotting towards the door, completely ignoring the glowering look he was receiving from the mare.

“Yes, that is me. I still don’t know your name, Mr.....?” She asked, leaning towards the stallion.

“Iron Venture.”

She nodded . “I see. Judging by your scars I’d say you are ex-military, yes?”

“Figured you already knew.” He had stopped trotting towards the door, realizing the mare wouldn’t stop her questions.

The mare wrinkled her nose. “What do you mean? I’ve only met you the one time.”

His eyes went to her saddle bags. There was a very familiar looking flyer hanging out from it. “Seems like it was more than enough for you to start putting up those bloody flyers.” His magic pulled out the bit of paper.

She grabbed it out of the air, running her eyes over it quickly, muttering under her breath. When Twilight finally tore her eyes from the page, they bore a look of serious concern and anger. “Why would I have written these? The ‘facts’ given are totally groundless!”

“If you didn’t put it out, then who did, hmm? Who in this backwards town has such searing hatred towards veterans?” It was obvious Riot was not pleased.

“I don’t know! Anypony could, it’s not like they have an angry mob set to run you out of town.” The purple mare said, shaking her head.

Spikes voice trembled slightly as he spoke. “Uhh.....Guys?” He said, holding one of the curtains out of the way, peering outside.

“What is it Spike?” Both older ponies said simultaneously.

The dragon gulped. “It’s an angry mob set to run somepony out of town.”

Twilight galloped over to the window. “Who’s leading them? Trixie? Gilda? Diamond dog spies? Changelings?” She paled when she looked outside.

Spike exhaled. “No......It’s Rainbow Dash and Applejack.”