• Published 24th Jan 2013
  • 719 Views, 17 Comments

The Curse of the Verse - RangerBeef



A Zecora origin story, explaining how she came to Ponyville and why she rhymes.

  • ...
2
 17
 719

A Wizard's Treachery

"So when you woke up in your bed at home, what happened?"

"I awoke early the next morning. My mother was at my side, stroking my mane. When she saw my eyes open she shed her first tears since I had been brought home."

-----

She said that I had been found at the edge of that horrid forest and that I was lucky to be alive. A traveling merchant had seen me lying on the road and had transported me to the nearest town, which was my village. When she asked me what had happened, I told her I could not remember. After I spoke, I coughed mightily.

She said I had likely wandered into the forest and run through one of the poisonous plants the forest hosted. She made me stay in bed while she went to make some tea. When I thanked her I coughed again, this time harder than the first, and it lasted longer.

She left me in my room and I thought hard to try and remember what had happened. I couldn't remember anything after walking into the forest. It was all just a blank spot for me. I decided my mother was right, that I must have come into contact with one of the poisonous flowers within the forest and only wandered far enough back out to be seen by the merchant. When my mother returned with the tea I thanked her once again and again I coughed and wheezed.

She told me to lie down and get some rest. The tea had been a mixture used to cure many poisons, so hopefully it would help my body fight the poison and I would be well when the morning came. This time I just nodded in response. It seemed every time I tried to talk that I would be met with coughing so I figured it best to forgo it for the time being.

And so I slept. I slept for what felt like days. My head was filled with vivid dreams. Many bright and vibrant colors, and creatures and ponies I could not identify. I dreamt of a mighty ship on the ocean, of an elderly zebra standing by a large block pot.

I saw ponies that were not zebras. I had never seen someone who was not like me before and I remember being fascinated by their solid colored coat and mane.

I saw a forest, but I did not recognize it; it was similar to the one I had been in the day before but it was different, more green. And then I did see a forest I recognized, the brownish-green trees standing in stark contrast to the desert surrounding it. I saw myself on the road walking into the darkness within and I tried to call out to stop myself but I could only cough.

Then I was back at the warlock's cottage. Inside it. I could see the door open slowly and my own silhouette stood in the frame. I wanted to run and push myself away, to tell myself to run and not look back. I did not know why I felt such fear of this place but I knew only evil lived within.

As I watched myself slowly walk around the home I kept glancing at the door, silently urging myself to leave. And then it was too late. The enormous wizard blocked the light filtering inside from the door and I watched his great black pot spill onto the floor. Heard his scream once more and both myself and the me in the dream bolted for the door and outside.

All at once my dream self stopped, she looked panicked, looking at her hooves as if you will them onward, tears forming in her eyes. The wizard approached slowly and I backed away. Even in my dream I was frightened of him. He rounded my dream self and spoke his curse.

"From this day forth, to pay for your crime..."

-----

"You don't have to say it again, Z." Shadow spoke softly, he did not want her to relive the pain a second time.

"Yes, I do!" Zecora's voice was filled with a mix of anger and conviction, which caught Shadow by surprise. "If I am ever to be truly free of this curse I can never allow myself to forget what led me to it's wrath. I cannot forget the words that forced me to live a very different life."

"I'm sorry..." Shadow knew of nothing else to say.

Zecora repeated the chant again before returning to her story.

-----

As the wizard finished his curse, I watched as my hooves came free and I stumbled to the ground. As quick as I could, I was back up and running for my village. I followed, and could see the tears streaming down my face as I ran. I felt the fear grip me once more and I could hear myself speaking as I ran.

I was repeating, "This can't be real. This isn't happening."

With each utterance, I would cough just a little bit, and then a little bit more, and then with force. When I finally made it to the edge of the forest I was coughing so badly that I collapsed on the ground. But I could see I was not unconscious. I laid on the ground for several minutes, struggling to breathe. My eye were wide with fear, tears continued to flow, and I felt as if I was watching myself die.

-----

Zecora paused again and closed her eyes.

Shadow could see her shaking from the remnant fear of the memory and this time he did embrace her. He held her, feeling her shake into him and she truly needed the comfort. This was the first time in a long time she had relived that fateful day in her own words.

When they parted Zecora thanked him with a subtle nod and let out a deep sigh.

"So what happened next?"

"I awoke in my bed at home."

Shadow chuckled softly, "Will this be a recurring theme?"