• Published 13th Jan 2013
  • 1,460 Views, 31 Comments

Shattered - Shadow Wind



A month after the gryphon attack led by Gilda. Rainbow Dash and Applejack had lived happily in their relationship. But AJ's family turns her away for her affection to the cyan mare, and forces fueled by chaos gather. The sequel to Dive Bombs &am

  • ...
7
 31
 1,460

Chapter One: Love's Consequence

Chapter One: Love's Consequence

The sun was setting gently over the horizon, casting an amber light upon the land. A faint breeze cooled the air. An orange mare was lying on a small hill, her back rested against a tree. Her blond tail and mane was rustled by the small wind, and atop her head was a notched brown Stetson, slightly dangled down over her emerald eyes. She rested there with her hind legs crossed and her forhooves behind her head.

Applejack smiled as she heard the familiar cry of a pegasus and opened her eyes. She watched as a black silhouette flew in front of Celestia's fading sun, turning into a wide flip, ending in a fast, tight corkscrew. The shape then raced back up high into the sky, just barely visible.Suddenly it dropped, free falling head first with incredible speed. A mach cone formed around the blur, and spectral lightning flashed to life before the sound barrier was broken, unleashing a rainbow colored explosion into the sky. The shape, now trailed by a rainbow, headed for her, its features growing more and more noticeable as it got closer. Finally it stopped at the bottom of the hill, landing. The blur had been a cyan pegasus mare, her mane prismatic, showing six colors of the rainbow. This certain pegasus was the love of Applejack's life.

"Hey Applejack! Did you see that!?" Rainbow Dash exclaimed, her wings still flapping with excitement. "That was the easiest Sonic Rainboom I've ever done!" Her voice cracked slightly at the end, obvious that she is pleased. On her face was her usual smirk, which drove A.J wild.

Applejack slowly stood and walked down to Dash, who finally was able to tuck her wings to her side. She nuzzled her neck softly. "Ah saw, sugar cube, and Ah'm mighty impressed." A.J smiled to her marefriend, who leaned in and pressed her lips to A.J's in a light kiss, which she happily returned. Rainbow giggled and quickly stole Applejack's Stetson from her head, placing it atop of hers. A.J cocked an eyebrow at her.

"What?" asked Rainbow, grinning. "You can't be the only mare that looks good in a cowpony hat." Rainbow was right about that, though the color of it clashed with her blue coat, the Stetson had cast dynamic shadows over her face, drawing out those lively magenta eyes. Rainbow grinned again and walked past A.J up to the tree, flicking her playfully with her prismatic tail.

A.J watched Rainbow as she walked past, noticing the way her hips moved from side to side, as well as the lean muscle induced curves of her body. Much in contrast of A.J's muscular farmer build. She bit her bottom lip as she followed Rainbow, trying to hold back her thoughts as they sat on their haunches under the tree, watching the sunset. Her cheeks turned hot when Rainbow rested her head on A.J's shoulder, the Stetson fell to the ground.

"It's beautiful today." remarked Rainbow Dash, her rose eyes half open as she watched the sun's last rays.

The orange earth pony nodded in agreement. "That it is, RD. That it is."

The two sat in silence for a few minutes, just enjoying each others company, both of their eyes closed. Applejack's cheeks were still hot from Rainbow being against her like she was. She slowly raised a forhoof, brushing it against the pegasus's wing feathers, eliciting a small gasp from her.

"A... A.J..." Dash spoke in a soft voice. "Don't do that. I wanna take things slowly bet-" The pegasus was interrupted by another gasp leaving her lips as the earth pony continued.

"Ah reckon a month is a good enough time to wait, Rainbow." Applejack slowly moved in front of Rainbow and wrapped her forhooves around her neck. She smiled before pressing her lips to Rainbow's in a deep kiss, eliciting a shuttering breath from Dash, who slowly leaned back against the three. A.J followed, still kissing her marefriend and finally pulled back slightly.

"I love you, Applejack"

"Ah love ya too, Rainbow Dash"
--==--

Applejack smiled as she caught her breath, breathing in the cool night air. On top of her lay Rainbow Dash, who's face was buried in her chest. She watched her prismatic main be ruffled by the wind fondly. She's mine and Ah'm hers. Ain't nothin' that can ruin this moment

"Hey, A.J"

The earth pony blinked at the sound of Rainbow's soft voice. "Yes, sugar cube?"

Rainbow raised her head to look the earth pony in the eyes. "I've been thinkin'. I know how you told me about how you were brought up and all, but I think it's time we told your family about us."

A.J's heart sank at the idea. She had always wanted to tell Granny Smith and Applebloom, Big Mac already knew. But she feared how they, especially Granny, would react. She looked back into Rainbow's rose eyes and sighed, knowing she owed it to her marefriend. "Ah reckon yer right."

--==--

It took the better part of an hour to reach the farm, Luna's moon was shining bright overhead. Applejack stared at her home in apprehension, not wanting to face the challenge ahead.

"Would you like me to go in with you?" asked Rainbow.

Applejack shook her head. "No, RD. This is somthin' Ah gotta do mah' self." She gave her marefriend a light kiss before walking inside. She made her way up the stairs that lead into the actual house area of the barn, and headed for the kitchen. When she opened the door she saw Granny Smith, Big Macintosh, and Applebloom sitting at the table, looking at pictures from the past family reunions.

"Ooh, Ah remember this" Granny cooed. "This was when Big Mac was just a little colt. He was still bigger than the rest of the young ones."

"Uh, Granny?" Applejack slowly walked to the table as Granny Smith looked up at her.

"Applejack, where have ya been, child? Granny cocked her head to the side curiously as the orange farmpony sat. "D'ya have any idea what time it is?"

"Ah was just, uh.. spending some time with Rainbow" she replied to the elderly green mare. From the corner of her eye she could see Big Mac raising an eyebrow, which she ignored. "Ah actually need to speak ta ya'll about somethin'" This time Big Mac shot her a curious look, obviously thinking of her relationship with Dash. She nodded to him before looking back to Granny. "Ah, uh... Ah'm kinda dating R-Rainbow Dash"

"What!?" Granny Smith exclaimed and jumped to her hooves faster than A.J could have thought possible for one her age. Beside her Applebloom stared at A.J in shock but stayed silent. "Yer out there with another mare!?"

"Granny, Let me explain m'self -"

"Ah don't wanna hear it!" interjected the old mare, staring the younger orange mare down with her ancient eyes. "Ah told ya'll a thousand times that mares belong wit' stallions, an' stallions only!" She pounded her hoof on the table at the end of her sentence. "No granddaughter o'mine is gonna be no fillyfooler!"

Applejack winced at that word, remembering Rainbow's tales of when she was in school as a filly. "Granny, Rainbow Dash is the one that saved Ponyville, and perhaps all of Equestria from the gryphon attack."

Granny's rage only seemed to increase. "Ah don't care if Princess Celestia herself asked for your hoof in marriage! There is no place for it in this family!".

Tears welled up in Applejack's eyes at the older mares words. She felt her heart shatter as Granny continued her rant. Suddenly she felt her own rage boiling deep inside her. "FINE!" she screamed, completely cutting Granny off. "Fine then! Maybe Ah'm no longer part of this family no more!" She turned on a hoof and raced out of the kitchen, followed by her brother and sister. Both called for her to stop, but she didn't care as she galloped back down the stairs.