• Published 11th Dec 2012
  • 584 Views, 12 Comments

City of Brass - Beegirl Scribbler



Flim and Flam find themselves trapped in a plot to revive Discord, as a recent disaster threatens to tear Equestria's protectors apart.

  • ...
5
 12
 584

Chapter Two: A New Outlook

It was the morning after Bilious's initial riling of the Second District denizens, and the rising sun found Twilight Sparkle, Applejack and Rainbow Dash waiting at the entrance to Princess Celestia's throne room. They'd set off for the throne room at first light, at Twilight's insistence.

It was a smaller entourage than Twilight had hoped for. Rainbow Dash had grudgingly agreed to come, and Applejack always got up at the crack of dawn anyway, but Rarity had refused on behalf of both herself and Fluttershy. Twilight understood—Rarity was not a morning pony, and she'd been through a good deal of stress lately. All the same, the absence of two of her friends bothered her. She knew it was pedantic, and she knew it wasn't a good idea to get up so early anyway (not that she'd spent the night sleeping, of course—she'd not slept in three days), but she couldn't bear the thought of being tardy for something this important.

Her friends understood, of course. They knew how important these tests were to her, and she'd never before received a test notice this sparse on detail. The notes had been getting more and more terse of late, admittedly.

Twilight Sparkle,

Come to Canterlot for a test in three days.

–Celestia

The letter's arrival had given Twilight a panic attack—she'd been swamped already by the troubles of Ponyville, and with this added source of stress, she'd been overwhelmed. Applejack and Spike had eventually calmed her down, but not before a massive mess had been made of the library. And seeing what had become of her well-organized sanctuary had triggered a second attack.

She and her friends had immediately embarked to Canterlot by balloon, and Spike had stayed behind to look after Ponyville (and begin the cleanup). She had spent every moment since studying, and, after consuming five boxes of dry tea leaves, had finally managed to almost calm down. She was still panicking, of course.

Twilight tapped her hooves against the marble floor, trembling. “Oh, I just don't know...maybe I should study more!” Her horn flashed, and a clock appeared for half a second before vanishing again. “Well, I've already been studying for sixty-seven-point-three-bar hours, I guess," she took a deep breath, "and I'd normally assume that just a few more minutes wouldn't have a noticeable impact...” She looked between her two friends, eyes wide. “She's my teacher, it's her job to challenge me! I suppose I could get some books from the library and study while I wait. It can't hurt, right?" She fidgeted with her mane. "Rainbow Dash, what do you—” She stopped. "What's wrong?"

Rainbow Dash was scowling at her. “You're panicking, Twilight. Again.”

“What?" Twilight tried to keep her laugh from sounding guilty. "I am not panicking. I am simply a little..." She scanned her inner thesaurus. "...concerned. That is not the same thing."

“Yeah? Concerned?"

"Of course." Twilight chuckled. It dried up into a croak as she looked up at the door. "The...the Princess won't be happy if I fail this test."

“That's rich!"

She frowned, looking back to her friends. "What are you saying?"

Rainbow Dash gave a very unamused laugh. "I'm saying that this is the third 'test' this month."

Twilight's jaw dropped.

"And the others haven't exactly been...uh..." Rainbow trailed off. The pegasus cocked her head. "Uh, what's with that look?"

Twilight's eyes had narrowed to slits. “What did you just say?” Tell me she didn't say what I think she just said.

“...'it's the third test'?”

“No, not that." Twilight leaned closer. "You put emphasis—apostrophes, to use the grammatical term—on 'test'.”

Rainbow Dash took a step back, averting eye contact. “Uh, no, I didn't."

“Yes. You did.”

“I've got no clue what you're talking about.” Rainbow Dash gave a nervous laugh. "Nope, no clue."

"Are you sure about that?" Twilight turned to Applejack. “Applejack? What did she say?”

Applejack shifted. "That's low, Twi, askin' me to rat out a friend.”

"So there's something to rat out?" Twilight leaned in, staring straight into Applejack's eyes.

Shrinking, Applejack looked between Rainbow Dash and Twilight. Rainbow Dash gave a pleading look. Twilight maintained her intrusive glare. "Uh...yes. Yep, she emphasized it.”

Rainbow Dash bowed her head. "I get it, AJ."

"Sorry, Rainbow. Gotta stay honest."

Twilight glared at Rainbow Dash. “So. You did use apostrophes.”

Rainbow Dash went a moment without any expression, then glared back. “So what if I did?”

Twilight blinked, taking a step away out of reflex. "Well, it indicates—"

“Oh, and by the way, normal ponies just say you said that funny. They don't use grammatical lingo.” Rainbow waved her hooves in the air, rolling her eyes. "But that's not the point!"

"Then where are you going with this?"

Rainbow Dash stomped a hoof. “Where I'm going is these 'tests' Celestia keeps springing are getting lamer and lamer! And I'm getting really tired of them!”

Twilight winced. “They're from—”

Rainbow continued, her voice getting louder. “And you keep acting like they're this huge deal, too! Every time you get a letter, you spend three days without sleep and we have to make sure you remember to eat!"

Twilight cringed. "I only forgot that once. You need to stop bringing it—"

“And you drag us over here, and freak out, and we've gotta act like we're worried even though we all know Celestia probably just has a termite infestation in the library!”

Twilight looked between her two friends, eyes wide. “That was a serious danger to the—”

“And you know what?" Rainbow Dash shook her head. "I don't care!"

"You...you don't?" As Dash's voice raised, Twilight's got quieter.

"None of us do! So just get over it, okay?” Rainbow grabbed Twilight by the shoulders and shook her. "It's just a stupid test!"

Twilight stared back at her friend, open-mouthed. Applejack coughed. She put a hoof on Rainbow Dash, gently pulling her away from the unicorn.

Twilight closed her mouth, not saying a word. She looked down at the floor. "I...you're just..."

Jealous? Lazy? Rainbow Dash had never really yelled at her or her friends. Not like this, anyway, not with real anger. Rainbow Dash was often abrasive, but she never fully lost control. She just had.

Was it exhaustion? Twilight was beginning to regret getting her somewhat lazy friend up so early. But surely that couldn't be the sole reason.

“Alright, Rainbow,” she heard Applejack say. “You've said your piece.”

Twilight carefully kept eying the floor as Rainbow responded. “I've got tons more to say, A.J.!”

“Twi doesn't need t'hear it.”

Twilight took a deep breath.

“Yeah? I've got a crazy best friend back home who probably disagrees!”

She closed her eyes, letting out a rattling breath. Of course Rainbow would bring that up. Why wouldn't she? Her head bowed lower. It's my fault Pinkie's talking to rocks and turnips. Not Celestia's. Rainbow should know that.

“Hey, way too far!” she heard Applejack say. “Watch it, R.D.” Twilight heard the sound of cracking stone. “You know how she feels 'bout that.”

Twilight opened her eyes. Applejack was glaring at Rainbow, looking almost enraged. Twilight noticed a large split in the rock floor beneath Applejack's front hoof.

Rainbow Dash looked between the crack and Applejack. After a moment, she turned to Twilight. “I'm...uh, sorry, Twilight." She sighed, avoiding Twilight's gaze. "It's not your fault. I get that you're freaking. I guess I'm just really sick of you going half a week without sleep for this kinda thing. Especially with everything that's..."

Twilight rubbed her eyes. “I'm fine, Rainbow Dash. It's...well, that's what coffee's for. And three days isn't half a week, anyway."

Rainbow shrugged. “Well, I just wish you'd tell the Princess 'no' for once.”

“I...what?" Twilight's hoof fell back to the floor, and she took a step back. "Th-that would be treason!" She looked around, half-expecting guards to come rushing around the corner with a warrant for Rainbow's arrest. And perhaps Twilight's, as well. "She—she could have me locked up for the rest of my life!”

Rainbow put a hoof over her forehead, groaning. “But she wouldn't. Because you're her student."

"She can't make exceptions for anypony! This is the Princess of Equestria we're talking about!"

"Yeah? Well, I'm having trouble worrying about how the Princess of Equestria will feel when—“ Rainbow Dash looked up, over Twilight's shoulder. “Okay, A.J., help me out here.”

Twilight turned to Applejack, her mind trying to make sense of this sudden outburst. When had Rainbow Dash started hating the Princess? Have I just not been paying attention?

Applejack took a step away, her voice turning unsteady. “Hey, now, Twi, I'm on your side here, I think Rainbow needs to—”

Rainbow Dash snorted and shook her head. “So much for honesty! What were you saying last night, again?” She cleared her throat. “Twi needs to buck up," she said, doing an uncanny impression of Applejack, "an' realize that Princess o' hers ain't done us or her a speck o' good in a good long time. If she can't, we may's well just forget about any sorta reparation. An' if that's so—”

“Alright! Alright!” Applejack held up a hoof for silence, groaning. “I get it.”

“Applejack?” Twilight's voice was soft. She reached out a hoof, then lowered it, unsure of the gesture's intent. “What are you saying?”

“I'm sorry, Twi, I just ain't...” Applejack took in a deep breath. “...well, I'm behind y'a hundred percent an' all, an' so's Rainbow. We just...” She kicked the floor. “Well, Celestia's half the reason Rarity's livin' in Fluttershy's livin' room an' Pinkie's...well, y'know.” Rainbow nodded.

“I...but she doesn't know that." Twilight scratched her forehead. "She doesn't know what's—"

“She should.” Applejack adjusted her hat, frowning. She jabbed a hoof toward the door. “An' she's the reason we're havin' t'make the trip here."

"But—"

Applejack looked at Rainbow Dash. "No buts. We're here foolin' 'round while Pinkie's back home talking t'sacks o'flour—”

“Again,” Rainbow snapped.

“—an' I guess I just ain't sure Celestia's really...” Applejack tilted her head in an apologetic shrug. “...makin' the right calls here. I'm sorry, Twi.”

“And...” Twilight raised her voice, but only slightly. “...is that really how everypony feels?”

“Well, Rarity wouldn't say nothin' 'bout it.” Applejack rolled her eyes. “She's still tryin' to take full blame for the explosion. But otherwise...” She reached over, bumping Twilight's shoulder. She gave a chuckle that died halfway through. “...well, that's Rarity, right? Generous when it occurs to her.”

Twilight moved her mouth silently, inwardly going over a rebuttal. She was still trying to form a response when the door swung open.

“Enter!” Celestia called.

Twilight hesitated.

Part of her felt like she should stay. As if staying would reveal some perspective she had missed. A way to reconcile these words with what she felt in her heart. But what did she feel? Something about what Applejack was saying was ringing disturbingly true.

Still, Twilight had her duty. “You're wrong,” she muttered.

She turned from her friends and entered the throne room.

——

Twilight walked through the long hallway, eying the stained windows that characterized it. There was Spike's and Cadance's defeat of Sombra, and there was Twilight's and her friends' purification of Nightmare Moon.

There were many windows now. Once, most of them had been plain; now all but three depicted difficult deeds done by Twilight and her friends.

She'd needed help with each one. Help from Cadance and Shining Armor. Help from Spike.

Help from her treacherous friends.

She couldn't see them as traitors, surely. But neither could she agree with them. They were wrong. Celestia was the reason Equestria was the most peaceful kingdom in the world. And if Celestia thought Twilight needed to take a test...

Twilight scowled. A test she would take.

Of the three windows that didn't show events Twilight personally recalled, one showed Discord's foul reign over Equestria, one showed Celestia's and Luna's overthrowing of the draconequus, and one remained plain clear glass. At the end of the hall were two golden thrones. One was slightly larger than the other, and Princess Celestia sat upon it.

Twilight approached and knelt. “Good morning, Princess.”

“Rise, Twilight." Celestia smiled. "You needn't kneel before me.”

Twilight rose. “Yes, Princess." She coughed, trying to quell her lingering irritation. "You had a test for me?”

Celestia gave a little chuckle. "Well, sort of. This is a different kind of test."

Twilight gulped. After a moment's hesitation, she nodded. "I'm ready, Princess."

Celestia nodded back. Her horn glowed, and a paper bag levitated from behind her throne. Out of it rose a jar of pickles.

“Your test is a test of agility." The great Princess of the Sun raised an eyebrow. "Open it.”

Celestia set the jar down in front of Twilight. Twilight stared at it. Hoping there might be some sort of trick, she extended her telekinesis and lifted it into the air.

She'd opened jars before, of course. Surely Celestia knew this. Surely her mentor knew everything. Surely this was some sort of hidden lesson.

The lid popped off.

Some vinegar spilled over the rim as Twilight dropped the jar back onto the carpet.

"Well done."

Twilight looked up at Celestia. "That's all?"

The alicorn gave a shrug. “Well, yes." She frowned. "Is something wrong, Twilight?"

“That's all.” Twilight sat down. “You called me from Ponyville to open a jar of pickles.”

Celestia blinked. “Well, honestly...” She gestured to the one clear window. “I just wanted to use that window for something.”

"The window."

"Well, I thought a bit of humor might liven the hall up." Celestia smirked. “And I thought my most faithful student might appreciate a free vacation. I know I've been calling you for a lot of little tasks of late, and I...well, besides that, the jar really was a bit—”

Celestia trailed off again, seeing Twilight's glare. She coughed. “It...was a joke, Twilight.” Her tone was confused. A little playful, still.

"Was it.” Twilight's tone had no confusion, no play. It was almost a hiss.

Celestia levitated her crown and fidgeted with it. “Well...I thought you might enjoy being able to come here without all the stress of a real test." She cocked her head. "Are you feeling alright, Twilight?"

"Without.” Twilight took a shaking breath. “Stress."

Celestia put her crown back on. "Well, the...the trip from Ponyville to Canterlot is hardly a difficult one. I just thought it might be nice to see—”

Twilight stood, voice trembling with fury. “Are you serious​?”

This was worse than the termites. Worse than the couch shredded by Prince Blueblood's cat.

This...was stupid.

“I—I came all the way here for this!” Twilight raised her voice, stomping the floor with all her might. “For a stupid joke!”

“It wasn't just—”

Twilight hesitated. Was she really going to do this?

Celestia had taught Twilight not to let anypony push her friends around. She'd taught her so much. Twilight had admired her so much. She'd thought the Princess was infallible. Refused to hear a word against her.

She'd done so much for Twilight.

Twilight's eyes narrowed. “Wasn't just what, Celestia? What were you thinking?”

She hadn't felt this angry since her warnings of Nightmare Moon had been ignored. How had it taken her this long to realize she was being used? The signs had all been there. Everypony else had noticed. How had she not?

She now stood right before her monarch. On a whim, she cast a spell, and the floor rose beneath her, bringing her to eye level with the Princess.

“I...” Celestia flinched. “I just thought it'd be nice to...to get a visit...” Her eyes were wide, and she was looking around the throne room as if seeking an escape. She's scared, Twilight realized. Actually scared. Of me!

The realization did not inspire more pity. Somehow, it only made Twilight angrier. I can't believe it took me this long. I've let her push me and my friends, my town around for years. Stupid. Stupid!

The doors behind her swung open, and Twilight heard the clanking of guards in armor. Apparently, her shouting had not gone unnoticed.

She raised an eyebrow.

“You know something?” she snapped. “You're nothing without me.”

Celestia leaned back in her throne as Twilight leaned forward. “Twilight—”

“Who takes down all these villains you keep allowing to break free? Me! Who keeps Equestria in order? Me!”

Celestia closed her eyes. She sounded angry, but her voice was shaky. “If it weren't for me, your parents would still be potted plants, and you'd have blown yourself to bits!”

Twilight took a deep, shuddering breath.

That's it! I'm full! I hate to feed the trolls,

"But it's time for me to spark some flames.”

Her horn glowed bright magenta, and a shimmering shield of the same color appeared behind her. She heard spells screech as the guards' attempted levitations scratched off the barrier.

I've had it wrong! Only in this song

"Do I see you think it's all a game!

I was a foal to take down every foe—

She cast another spell, and heard the shield fly outwards. The guards let out shouts as the shield wrapped around them—

I'm cutting these strings, friend—look out below!”

—and launched them out a window.

So do you get it? Because while I guess I'm...hoping all goes well...”

She cast a third spell, catching the guards in their fall moments before they hit the ground and letting them land softly onto the grass below.

You've wasted all my time!”

She trotted over to the window, levitating Celestia's throne alongside her. Celestia wasn't making any effort to resist. Twilight waved a hoof at the city beyond. “Equestria. The most peaceful nation in the world...with the very worst ruler! I could lead better in my sleep!”

Celestia stared at Twilight as if she was speaking gibberish.

The ground beneath Twilight rose again, and she loomed over her former employer. “What's wrong, Princess? Do you disagree?” She rolled her eyes, shrugging.

No more! My life's not the jest for your strife. I'm bailing out before I'm enslaved

You simply aren't that bright, you're a few cards light; I'll take my last one out and play the Knave.”

She jabbed Celestia in the chest.

And here I thought you had all the answers—but you've been leaping around them like a demented dancer!”

She leaped off her pillar, stalking away towards the open door. Applejack and Rainbow Dash were watching, wide-eyed.

And now I'm here, wasting perfect rhymes. It's clear to me...

She flicked her head, and Celestia's throne banged back into its place.

“You've wasted all my time!”

Twilight teleported onto the smaller throne, giving a dark chuckle. She turned to Celestia, whose eyes were shut tight.

For direction, I've not a need.”

At that moment, seven unicorn guards rushed in. They readied spells, but Twilight only smirked.

“I'm no fool!

“And I'm nopony's tool!”

The guards fired their missiles, one after the other. Twilight parried each spell back at its caster, blasting all seven back out of the hall.

It's time that I take the lead!

She turned to Celestia, and hesitated—the princess looked deeply hurt. But she still hadn't taken action.

Scowling, Twilight leaped off the throne and began firing dark bursts of violet energy at the stained windows.

“Y'know, I did my best to play your Bard...”

Each work of art the spells hit shattered. The broken glass dissolved mid-fall, landing on the floor as nothing but plain white sand.

“But it's clear to us all that the Joker's your card!

She trotted over to the last window remaining: the window depicting Discord's control over Equestria.

“So I'll be the Knave, if it lets me climb

“Out of this hole...

Twilight leaped, horn flaring bright white.

“You've wasted all my time.”

She smashed through the window, and a burst of blinding light enveloped her. When the flash faded, she was gone.


——

Author's Note:

And "I'm Looking Out For Me" is the next song. An absolute blast to write, though I definitely had some trouble with the meter. And if anybody's thinking Celestia's out of character in this—don't worry, there's a reason. As for Twilight...well, she's very tired, just had to argue with her friends, and something's happened in Ponyville that's partially Tia's fault. Does that excuse it? No, of course not. Does that explain it in a realistic manner? I sure hope so.