• Published 11th Dec 2012
  • 1,348 Views, 34 Comments

I Won't See You Tonight - Deathpony45



Ever since she lied to them Rainbow Dash's friends have been ignoring her. How will Dash take it and how will her friends feel when she says goodbye?

  • ...
6
 34
 1,348

Chapter 2: Coping With Death

I WON'T SEE YOU TONIGHT PART 2: Coping With Death

Twilight heard the boom and recognized the rainbow but something was wrong.
"Why was it angled downwards?" Twilight wondered. "Oh Celestia no no NO!!" Twilight screamed. Her friends stared with looks of pure terror on their faces. They weren't far from the mountain so they rushed to the looming slab of rock. This can't be happening Twilight thought.
"What of she's de..." Pinkie began her hair flattened even more almost completely and her color dulled.
"No Pinkie I'm sure she's fine we mustn't think the worst. But we have to hurry quick everypony to Dragon Mountain." They five remaining mane six ran towards the mountain, they were already very close they sprinted to the sight of the crash. they arrived in a matter of minutes. fast enough to hear the echo of Rainbows final words. "No more breath inside, essence left my heart tonight. No more breath inside, essence left my heart tonight." The five ponies listened to the haunting echo. A song they had heard Rainbow listening to so many times. and saw a plateau that dropped over to the ground about 10 feet up. Pinkie arrived first and glanced over the plateau they were on to the craggy rocks. She whirled around and threw up right next to Rarity. Rarity gasped,
"Darling I just got a hooficure please don't..." Pinkie cut Rarity off by screaming.
"I DON'T GOVE A DAMN ABOUT YOUR HOOFICURE RARITY."
"Pinkie calm down," Rarity replied softly I'm sure Rainbow Dash is fine she's had worse crashes you know." Pinkie glared at Rarity with pure rage, at the unicorns lack if understanding.
"WORSE, WORSE YOU STUPID BITCH LOOK AT HER!" Pinkie yelled. Rarity was taken aback by Pinkie's outburst she and the others glanced over the side and saw why Pinkie was so angry. Below them lie the bruised battered and bleeding Rainbow Dash. Her body was mangled and blood covered most of her normally multicolored mane making it a deep crimson. She lay abnormally still. Her legs were twisted at awkward angles and fragments of bone were sticking out. Rarity almost threw up as well. The friends ran down to the body of their friend. Pinkie put her ear to Rainbows chest to listen for some kind of faint heartbeat to show that her friend was still alive. She was met with silence. Pinkie wailed at the top of her lungs.
"DAMN IT DAMN IT DAMN IT. SHE'S DEAD RAINBOW DASH IS DEAD!" Fluttershy couldn't look at the body for more than a second she puked as well at the sight of their mangled friend. "WHY WHY WHY CELESTIA WHY. WHY IS SHE DEAD." Pinkie exclaimed her mane flattened even more. Twilight stared at the body. "It's my fault," she whispered almost to herself. Pinkie whirled around.
"What?" She asked genuinely confused.
"Look everypony I hate to say it but this wasn't an accident,"
"Are you saying she did this on purpose?" Applejack asked "why would she do that,"
"Because her parents died recently."
"But why wouldn't she tell us that we are her friends." Rarity asked puzzled.
"Because I pushed her away, recently I have been ignoring her and most everything she has to say surely you all have noticed."
"Not really, I mean usually you do your own thing." Applejack replied.
"Yes but I always take your thoughts into consideration but I've been ignoring her ever since I learned that she's been lying to us."
"About sneaking off to see that horrible griffon Gilda?" Fluttershy inquired.
"Yes." Twilight replied confused. "How do you know."
"We'll this is probably a bad time to say it but I've stopped trusting her because of that recently too." Fluttershy said quietly. Pinkie simply sat down soaking everything in.
"We'll sugarcube I've been the same way, so it wasn't just your fault it was mine as well." Applejack said. "She'd been ditching us for months to go hang out with that annoying Griffon friend of hers."
"Well I also have been finding it hard to trust her lately. She told me of her little meetings with that terrible griffon and I just haven't been able to trust her." Rarity responded all five of them had tears in their eyes a they realized it was their fault Rainbow was dead.
"Why are we talking about her like she was a terrible pony she just killed herself because we were too stupid to really care for her and just look past what she had done, which really was just her being loyal to a friend." Pinkie had stopped crying but only it seemed because she had run out of tears to shed.
" We hated her for being who she was what kind of terrible friends are we. Twilight can we please leave now, I don't think I can take much more of this here. We need to take the body back to Ponyville." The five mares began to walk back. Pinkie and Fluttershy picked up the body and held it in between them. They walked for awhile until they were in a lush field. Pinkie said, "Stop," so they did. Pinkie laid down the body lying on her and Fluttershy's backs she cleaned off the blood and straightened the rainbow pony's legs popping the bones back into place.
"This is where we will bury her this is where we will hold her funeral." Pinkie said with solemnity.
"Now?" Rarity inquired. "I hardly think this is the time."
"No next week. Everypony will come and she will recieve a proper burial and funeral." All of a sudden Pinkie saw a figure approaching them at high speeds it was a small filly.
"Oh no this is not good." Pinkie said.
"What's wrong," Fluttershy asked trying to make out the approaching filly.
"It's Scootaloo," Twilight responded blandly the expression on her face hardened. "This will not be good."
The filly hurried to them with a piece of paper clenched in her mouth.
"I came as soon as I got this, the return address was Dragon Mountain which i thought was weird so i read it and when I finished I started running I'm glad I caught you I need to tell you something!" Scootaloo said in a single breath. She caught sight of Rainbow's still slightly mangled body. "SHIT!" She exclaimed "I'm too late no no no I can't be too late she can't be dead." Scootaloo quavered and began to cry. Fluttershy draped her wing around the young filly "Damn it Rainbow Dash why did you have to do it why." Scootaloo cried into Fluttershy's wing.
"Scootaloo how did you know?"
"i told you i recieved this letter."
"Scootaloo this is going to be difficult for you to hear but we think it was..." Twilight began. But Scootaloo interrupted her,
"Suicide I know, you pony's need to read this," Scootaloo showed Twilight and the others the letter and each read it in turn each realizing just how ignorant they had been to their friends suffering. And how they could have helped if they had only cared. Thought the letter didn't explain why she had been with Gilda it explained much of Rainbow's deep depression. Pinkie was the last to read Rainbow's suicide note. She broke down and cried all over again . But then began laughing hysterically. Her mane flattened completely and became a dull pink.
"Oh no not this again," Applejack muttered "Pinkie are you ok."
"Rainbow, my closest friend entrusted her suicide letter to a single filly not even part of her main friend group. Yes it was a filly that he cared about but she trusted her over us. Celestia we truly are terrible friends." Pinkie had stopped laughing and was back to crying with Scootaloo. The two ponies were Rainbows closest friends and most trusted confidants. Yet only Scootaloo had been entrusted with the letter. They truly had pushed her away.
"Scootaloo," Twilight whispered, "I know this is hard but we need to begin funeral prep..." Twilight choked and trailed off. She was planning the funeral for a pony at her prime this just wasn't right. Scootaloo flung herself on top of Rainbow's limp body.
"NO I CAN'T LET YOU TAKE HER AWAY FROM ME!" Scootaloo yelled angrily "You don't deserve to take her from me it's your fault she's here in the first place." Scootaloo knew she didn't mean it and so did Twilight but Twilight just took it and nodded.
"She would want a proper burial we have to but don't worry I'll make sure that you don't leave her side." Scootaloo nodded solemnly through her tears. Scootaloo was by Rainbow's side all the way back to Ponyville but by then she couldn't stand the sight of the body and she knew she had to leave.
"I can't do this I need to go." She stated. Twilight nodded and the Mane Five dispersed after dropping off Rainbow's body. They each promised to meet back on the hill the next to day to pay their respects before anypony found out.
The sun rose and the six ponies stood a the top of the hill paying their respects to Rainbow. None of them wanted to imagine the still slightly mangled and lifeless body of one of their closest friends.
Scootaloo trotted dejectedly to the treehouse it had been one day since Rainbow's suicide and she decided it was time to talk to her friends she needed their comfort. She approached the clubhouse and slowly walked up the stairs into the house. Apple Bloom immediately tackled her.
"Hey Scoots, what's up? Where were you yesterday, how come you didn't come by?" Apple Bloom then noticed the tears in Scootaloo's eyes. "Scoots are you ok?"
"No." Scootaloo stated simply but through her tears all that was understood was a small choking noise.
"Would this have anything to do with why Rarity came home so sad last night?" Sweetie Bell asked. "She wouldn't say anything what happened?"
"I dot want to talk about it ok" Scootaloo responded bluntly.
"We are here for you Scoots wha..." Apple Bloom was cut of by Scootaloo's scream of rage.
"RAINBOW DASH KILLED HERSELF YESTERDAY OK ARE YOU HAPPY!" Scootaloo had been trying to keep it together but she finally couldn't take it anymore and burr out into tears. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell were stunned. Rainbow Dash had always been so strong, happy, and full of life how could she take her own life? Scootaloo's fellow crusaders began to cry as well and wrapped her in a big hug the three just sat there for awhile crying and crying. After a couple of minutes when the three had no tears left they began to calm down.
"Why," Sweetie Bell asked "why would Rainbow Dash do that?"
"I don't really know I only got a vague letter, apparently her friends had stopped trusting her. I don't know why." Scootaloo sniffed "and I really don't want to know." How could she possibly carry on after that. Rainbow Dash had been everything to her her role model her hero...her sister, and now she was gone.
"I gotta go," Scootaloo said again on the brink of tears and ran out the door. She had to see Rainbow Dash again before anyone else she had to see the most important pony on her life alone one last time.
She arrived at the morgue, she didn't even know Ponyville had a morgue, to find it quite empty except for one body, cyan blue body still tinted crimson, her limbs still in awkward positions, her once rainbow mane had now taken on a hue of crimson, the blood had stained her and hadn't been washed away. the once bright and powerful face was now fragile and lifeless. Scootaloo approached the body and flung herself on top of it. She pressed her ears to Rainbow's chest hoping beyond hope that it had all been a dream and that her hero was still alive. She was met with a deafening silence. She tried to cry but no tears would come so she just lay there sobbing emptily. It was then that she realized that she did want to know she wanted to know exactly what had happened to Rainbow. So she decided to talk to Rainbow's closest friends. But she wanted somepony else there too a very important somepony.
The five mares had been expecting this. Scootaloo had asked to meet with them. News of Rainbow Dash's death had spread like wildfire. All of Ponyville seemed to be in shock and confusion everyone who saw Twilight an her friends gave each their deepest apologies. Cloudsdale was in complete disarray without their weather manager although recently they had just decided to let it rain all over Equestria. All ponies were saddened to hear the news. Derpy Hooves had been one on the first Pegasai to learn of Rainbow's fate and no one had seen her since they had heard only sobs echoing throughout he home. Scootaloo had told them to meet her at the Crusaders' clubhouse. When they entered they were not surprised to see Sweetie Bell and Apple Bloom trying to comfort the depressed filly, but were greatly shocked to see the other attendee to the meeting.
"Princess Celestia?" Twilight asked confused.
"Hello my student, I am glad you and you're friends are here now so that we may...discuss the current events."
Oh no Twilight thought to herself she's going to banish me and then put me in a dungeon in the place where she banishes me, this time I'm sure of it. Scootaloo looked up and gave Twilight a look of pure hatred. So the little filly truly did blame them for Rainbow's death but rightfully so considering it was their fault.
"Hello Twilight," Scootaloo spat at the unicorn.
"Now Scootaloo you can't blame these five for what Rainbow Dash did." Celestia said in a soothing tone. A tone that was completely lost on the angry filly,
"Why not its their fault she did it."
"Not entirely and I'm sure they feel almost as bad about it as you do."
"As bad," Scootaloo spat, "I think they should be feeling a lot worse about this than me, IT'S THEIR GODDAMN FAULT!" Scootaloo exclaimed at the top of her lungs. She was breathing heavily rage seething forth almost visibly. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle tried to calm her down as Celestia talked to the Mane Five.
"Well needless to say I am deeply saddened at the loss of Rainbow Dash," Celestia began. "But I am very disappointed in you five."
"What?!" They exclaimed.
"Princess why do you mean why are you so disappointed in us?" Twilight asked genuinely confused.
"You allowed one of your closest friends to drift away and feel unimportant enough to feel like it would just be better if she were dead. I cannot believe that you five would allow that to happen especially to Rainbow Dash, you all know she has not had an easy life. Her parents abandoned her she grew up in a rare but uncaring foster home. Then when her parents came back they grew quite close only to be ripped out of her life a few years later. This mixed in with the hatred you all showed her, well I think it's quite obvious why I'm disappointed in you all." Twilight and the others were shocked.
"What we had no idea she had No idea she had such a terrible home life."
Celestia's mouth fell open.
"You mean you never even asked her what her parents were like never once wanted to know! I am truly disappointed in you five." Pinkamena (Pinkie Pie has fully transitioned at this point) broke down right there and began to cry. She wailed and wailed at this accusation. What was wrong with the princess she usually wasn't like this she was always kind and caring. The death of an Element of Harmony must have shaken her. When Twilight really looked at the princess she realized that her usually flowing celestial mane was lying limply at her side and was very unkempt she had bags under her eyes from lack of sleep and seemed over all very tired. She must be drained physically and emotionally. Pinkamena was still crying.
"It's ok Pinkie," Twilight soothed. "She's just tired she doesn't mean what she's saying." Celestia realized that she had lost it a little bit.
"Yes Pinkie I'm sorry I didn't mean that it's just this has been an emotional time for me." Pinkamena stopped crying and sat back up her eyes still watering and bloodshot, she said nothing. We need to know why Rainbow Dash was meeting with Gilda. Scootaloo was still silently fuming and suddenly she burst,
"I don't want to know why," she yelled and ran out of the clubhouse. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom raced after her.
"She'll be fine...I hope," Twilight sighed, "Princess do you know why she was visiting with Gilda?"
"Actually that is why I came today, I do know why an felt you should too, I feel it best you find out from me and not from any other pony who might twist it around with the uhm dislike of that particular griffon. That certainly would not be good for Rainbow Dash's memory. Now to the point, as I'm sure you all know Gilda was a bit rash even for a Griffon." The friends nodded. "Well two months ago the griffon became very angry over a rumor she had heard. Can anypony guess who that rumor was about?"
"Rainbow Dash?" Rarity guessed.
"Yes and can any of you guess what the rumor was about?"
To everyone's surprise Fluttershy spoke up,
"Is it about the Sonic Rainboom?"
Celestia nodded.
"She just heard about that two months ago?" Pinkie asked? "It happened way before then why didn't take so long?"
"The griffons usually aren't very aware of the happenings in Equestria , one of them happened to be at Cadence and Shining Armor's wedding and saw the Sonic Rainboom there he must have gone back and talked about it which would be how Gilda heard about it."
"That doesn't explain why she was visiting her for weeks. Or why she was so depressed when she stopped going." Twilight butted in.
"Please allow me to finish,"
"Right sorry Princess."
"Anyways Gilda was angered to hear of Rainbow's success and her rivalry with her drove her to try to do better. Gilda attempted to reach speeds higher than the Sonic Rainboom and on one of her attempts she crashed into the ground very similar to how Rainbow...died and was gravely injured she was brought to the nearest hospital and put on life support almost immediately. When Rainbow Dash heard of this she rushed immediately to the hospital to see Gilda but the griffons at the desk would not let her. so she kept coming back every other day for a month and a half to check on Gilda. After awhile they started letting Gilda have visitors Dash was one of the first but Gilda blamed Rainbow Dash for her accident her dying words to Rainbow were 'This is all your fault Dash all your fault'. Unfortunately Rainbow believed her and felt terrible about losing a friend which is why she told you five what she had been doing, so as not to lose any more friends." The five friends let that sink in what they had thought had been Rainbow apologizing for a betrayal had been her trying to keep them as friends and they only drove her away, so far as to kill herself to feel better the thought was quite depressing. The friends wrapped each other in a big hug and cried and cried and cried they had cried so much lately they were most likely on the verge of dehydration but they didn't care so they just cried some more for their lost friend.
Scootaloo ran blindly from the house she jumped on her scooter and fluttered off leaving Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle chasing after her but slowly getting further away. Tear stung her eyes and she knew what she had to do she had to be with Rainbow Dash she didn't care if she had been told to live on she couldn't take all the emotions she had pent up inside of her she had only released some in her outbursts but she knew what she had to do. She rode to a place outside of Ponyville a grassy area over looking a steep drop down a hill. This should be enough Scootaloo thought to herself. She grinned for the first time since Dash's death she felt happy and content. She plummeted down the hill her tiny wings, wings that would never fly buzzed letting her pick up speed at the bottoms of the hill was a small ditch this would be where Scootaloo would spend her final moments of life in that ditch broken and bleeding just like her big sister allowing her friends to find her later and realize all that could have been stopped. Scootaloo shot down the hill at high speeds and crashed into the ditch.
Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle found her lying there five minutes later. The two Cutie Mark Crusaders stared at their friend in horror only imagining that this is what Twilight and her friends had seen only on a much larger scale Scootaloo was only slightly bleeding and only had two broken legs.
"We can still save her," Apple Bloom said "we gotta get her to a hospital quickly." The two carried their friend as swiftly and delicately as possible to a nearby hospital they weren't far outside of Ponyville so the walk wasn't that far. They approached the desk,
"Please help us out friend crashed in a ditch and we don't know if she's dead or not. Please please help us." The nurse looked at Scootaloo's limp body and hurriedly called a doctor who took the body to a room and put Scootaloo in a hospital bed they had her in life support her was beating but faintly.
"Several broken bones a fractured rib and massive internal bleeding, we need to operate quickly if we are going or save her," the doctor said. He hurriedly shoved Sweetie Belle and AppleBloom out of the ER.
"Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh on my gosh," Sweetie Belle said pacing back and forth, "Scoots can't die not after everything we have been through with Rainbow Dash's death eventually everypony will end up killing themselves. This is not good."
"We gotta go tell Twilight and the others, Maybe they could help." Apple Bloom suggested.
"Good idea," Sweetie Belle responded, "lets go get them." They hurried back to the clubhouse.
The group had again stopped crying, finally Applejack asked the question they had all been wondering ever since the death of their friend,
"Is there a way to bring her back?"
"I'm sorry Applejack," the Princess responded "but I do not think so. Death is a very important part of our existence if it is tampered with for even one pony the everypony will want loved ones brought back, and even so there is not a way even of..." Celestia trailed off as Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle crashed into the clubhouse panting.
"What's wrong," Twilight asked, "and where Scootaloo?"
"She's in the hospital...we got her there as fast as we could...need your help." Sweetie Belle panted.
"Why is Scootaloo in the hospital?" Rarity asked, concerned with the pain in her sister voice.
"She crashed into a ditch outside of Ponyville we caught up to her and got her to the hospital as fast as we could. We're not sure if she will make it." Apple Bloom said only slightly calmer than Sweetie Belle. The five friends and the princess rushed outside and ran with the two Cutie Mark Crusaders to the hospital.
The nurse at the counter saw the friends and blandly asked,
"Who you coming to see today?"
"Scootaloo,"
"I'm sorry she's in critical condition and not accepting any..." Princess Celestia stepped forward and smiled,
"I'm sure you can make a exception,"
The nurse fumbled around at the sight of the princess.
"Of course of course please go on she should be in a good enough condition to see you."
"Thank you," the princess said smiling, "go on My Little Pony's I will wait for you here." The seven ponies rushed to Scootaloo's room Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle first to see their best friend. Scootaloo was lying down her eyes were closed and had an oxygen mask hooked up to her and the heart monitor was beeping but faintly. The two crusaders broke down crying to see their friends so limp and broken and lifeless. The Mane Five stood there shocked. Again Applejack voiced everyone else's thoughts.
"Do you think it was a suicide attempt?" All the other ponies just stared at her. "What I'm just saying what everpony else is thinking." They just remained silent saying at the limp body of the young filly. All hope seemed completely lost then all of a sudden the heart monitor began to pick up. The friends glanced up with large smiles on their faces as Scootaloo began to stir. She groaned slightly and looked around her vision slightly blurry.
"Am am I dead?" She asked. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom jumped up an cheered in happiness. Scootaloo was alive somehow Scootaloo was alive.
"Scootaloo we were so worried what happened?"
"I couldn't take it anymore so I ran into a ditch." She stated almost without emotion. "But I guess I didn't die so here I am."
"What happened" Apple Bloom asked, "you almost died."
"I don really know I just remember crashing and thinking to myself that I was ready to go an see Dash again. But I realized that that's not what she would have wanted so I tried as hard as I could to stay alive I fought and fought clinging to the hope that maybe just maybe I would make it through and it would appear that I did. I'm so sorry everypony I just couldn't take what you were all saying about Dash so I exploded and made terrible mistake please forgive me for wronging you." The remaining Elements of Harmony recognized this scene a depressed pony on the brink of losing he friends and who was known to make rash decisions this was the exact situation Rainbow Das had been in and they knew that Scootaloo was almost a carbon copy of Rainbow.
"It's ok Scootaloo," Apple Bloom said knowing what the others were thinking, "we forgive you. But please never ever do anything like that again. Scootaloo smiled.
"I Pinkie Pie promise."
Epilogue: 6 months later
It had been six months since the death of Rainbow Dash and all the ponies had emotionally recovered. Even Pinkie Pie was back to her old party loving self. Each of her parties though always had a splash of rainbow in remembrance of her lost friend. Applejack and the rest of the Elements had recovered and continued on with their regular lives as well. Scootaloo though was the happiest of all. Earlier that morning he had been riding her scooter to the clubhouse when she wet over a hill. She almost lost control of her scooter and crashed but her skillful maneuvering of her favorite vehicle saved her life. All of a sudden she saw a flash of light behind her and the largest grin spread across her face. On her flank sat a picture of a scooter. Her cutie mark she had finally gotten it she had finally discovered her special talent in life she had finally figured out her purpose in life. As she celebrated to herself she looked to her side and swore she saw the faint outline of a cyan colored Pegasus with a rainbow colored mane sitting there smiling at he just like she had promised she would.

Author's Note:

Again reading this again I realize how much I don't like how it came out. I rushed a lot and didnt really portray all the emotion I meant to. Like with part one I'm going to send it through the edits with Tencentpartycannon he's a fantastic editor and really helping me out with this (just look at the new prologue and the alternate time stream intro) I don't how long it'll take to get this edited but it will take awhile so until then XD enjoy I guess