• Published 13th Dec 2012
  • 811 Views, 6 Comments

A Hearth Warming Memory - Comet Burst



Zecora tells Applebloom a tale about a special zebra from long ago.

  • ...
2
 6
 811

The Fourth Memory

Applebloom's eyes widened as Zecora put down the white rock. "So what didja do?" She asked worriedly. Her bright green eyes never wavered as she followed the zebras mohawk back and forth as Zecora paced. "Badly wounded, Xavier was. Not like any injury that can be cured with sweets and hugs. He couldn't walk for four months, and his farm didn't go without any bumps. His father couldn't sell and harvest the figs together, and he had no sister or brother. However, he and his farm did recover, like a child with a caring mother. It was then I saw him, not as just a friend, but a strong d handsome stallion with a will unwilling to bend."

Applebloom's eyes widened yet again and she said "So did he finally ask you to be his special somepony?" A thin film of tears came over Zecora's eyes and she picked up another prop, this time the picture she had shown Applebloom earlier. "It was after this picture was made. Then he asked on this very day, a question for which a terrible price he paid..."

Zecora laughed melodiously as her and Xavier walked along the stalls in the village. She had never felt this comfortable taking a stroll here since most of the merchants tried to introduce her to their sons or offered her free items. Being the chief's daughter gave her some special privileges, such as instantly being trained to become a shaman and respect from everypony, but it also made her feel like an outcast from normal zebras. They were kind; but she could feel the scathing looks from behind and hear the mock courtesy in their voices. However, being with Xavier changed all of that. The story of him defeating a lion was still the talk of the village months later, causing him to be the center of attention.

Xavier, for his part, was immensely happy just to be around Zecora. After protecting her from a lion, she now hardly ever left his side. She never stopped thanking him and had more recently gotten closer to Xavier, doing things like coming by every day if he didn't, blushing at his complements and even making excuses to be around him. His leg had healed nicely due to the shaman Umaru, who was also Zecora's mother, and his figs now sold like crazy due to the newfound healing properties they had. Xavier had always liked Zecora, but today he determined he was going to tell her. He had, not to her knowledge, bought the amethyst necklace and was going to give it to her when he asked her to date him.

Today was a special day for the zebras since it was their summer festival. There would be dancing, music and food as well as fireworks made by the shaman. Xavier had planned everything out to ask Zecora by spending the day with her, finding a secluded spot and even arranging a meal. The only thing he didn't plan on was her answer which he prayed would be a yes. Once the day had started, there was no turning back or tweaking events. He was either going to end the day holding Zecora while watching the fireworks or never speak to her again. Determined to win her over, he paid for anything she could ever want from the stall owners.

The day seemed to be one fast paced blur to both Xavier and Zecora. All either of them could remember was the laughter, the odd sights and a couple of well cooked banana leaves. The sun had begun to set when the music started to play and a large bonfire came to life in the village square. The sounds of cheering and laughing zebras filled the air and Xavier along with Zecora lost themselves in the music and fun. In three hours, the mood slowed down enough to allow a calmer mood to set in, giving Xavier his chance to talk to Zecora.

On a small hill overlooking the village, the two zebras walked up and sat down. "My, that was a blast. I didn't expect it to go by that fast." Xavier smiled and said "I'm glad you're happy. It was really fun today. I have one more thing." he said, suddenly more nervous than anything. He smiled awkwardly and spun around, feeling his stomach clench in ways he could never imagine. It was the moment of truth, the minute he had waited a year and a half for.

Zecora tilted her head and gave him a funny look. He was clearly nervous, in a cute way of course, but it worried her. He had told her a long time ago he was from another tribe and she hoped he wasn't going to say he was leaving. Xavier fumbled around for with his gift, almost not even getting it out. The twisting in his stomach continued to cause him to wait, but after two seconds, Xavier steeled his will and squelched the twisting. This was happening.

He turned to face Zecora with the amethyst necklace in his mouth, grinning at her. She gasped loudly and raised a hoof to her mouth. He had gotten the reaction he was hoping for and pressed on. Xavier leaned in towards Zecora and laid the necklace on the ground, watching her magnificent blue eyes sparkle as the firelight caught them. Mustering up all his courage, Xavier took a deep breath and said "This gift is for you. It comes with a question too. Will you please be my..." Xavier took a deep breath, drawing up every reserve of willpower he had and continued.

"Would you please please be, my special somepony?"

His question caught Zecora off guard on two fronts. Clearly her mind was stunned by the question, but he had done something else. He had spoken in her dialect. It wasn't his usual form of speaking and, hearing it for the first time, made him sound like he would give up his heritage for her. She simply felt her cheeks burn as she blushed uncontrollably, but Xavier was making a face that calmed her. He had both eyes closed and was grimacing, as if he was preparing for her to hit him. She gingerly picked up the necklace and suddenly knew her answer. She slipped it on silently and reached towards him.

Xavier stood as still as a statue, his mind racing about how bad the question sounded. He hadn't said it like he practiced, he had said it too early and the list went on and on. He was bracing himself for the worst when a hoof touched his chin. Zecora's hoof slowly guided his face into an upright position and he wondered what she was going to do. A swift slap on the face was what he was expecting, but a soft pair of lips suddenly met his. His eyes flew open in shock to see Zecora wearing the necklace, her eyes closed and her muzzle against his.

Feeling his face catch on fire, Xavier straightened into a stiff board and didn't move, except for his lips as they reacted to Zecora's, until she broke away. Her eyes fluttered open, revealing those magnificent blue eyes and she smiled and blushed at the same time. "Was my answer clear? I couldn't think of another way without making you fear." she cooed to him. Xavier, still dumbstruck by the mare finally found his voice and said "I take that as yes? I'm not mistaken, am I? If I am, tell me." he replied with a shaky voice. Zecora laughed her wonderful laugh and moved in close again. "You are not wrong, or do I have to say it in a song?"

Zecora leaned in and kissed him again, this time Xavier wad expecting it. The both closed their eyes and Xavier wrapped his forelegs around his special mare, mind roaring with excitement. Everything had happened the way it was supposed to have happened. Neither one of them noticed the fireworks going off in the distance, or even the picture they had somepony draw earlier that day flutter out of Zecora's bag and rest on the grass.