• Published 7th Dec 2012
  • 344 Views, 3 Comments

Origins of the Ponies of War - Tagshadow



The tale of several ponies that were forced together to save their kingdom.

  • ...
2
 3
 344

Book 1 Hello, First Introductions

Origins of the Ponies of War
Written by Tagshadow
Voiced by the Ponies of War

The Ponies of War were a small military unit that served in Equestria’s National Army, once upon a time. They were the smallest unit in the history of Equestria; it consisted of 11 members after their great tribulation. Despite its miniscule size the Ponies of War changed the history of Equestria. Through the haze of battle and maze of emotion they stood together as they do now, true brothers and sisters at arms. This is their tale; this was their plight, now a legend among today’s ponies. The unimaginable odds against them leave it to be unbelievable, but it is true. Sit now, and listen as I tell you the origins of the Ponies of War.
-Tag

Book 1
Hello

--
--

Chapter 1
First Impressions

Celestia’s sun shone high in the sky, it was a wonderfully warm day outside. It was a startling contrast to the previous day’s violence. There wasn’t a single cloud in the sky. Their camp was on a hill, they had to make sure they could watch all sides lest their enemy try to attack again.

Crystal Shine was the leader of the Ponies of War military unit; she was one of the first synthetic alicorns ever created. The project had been started a year ago in order to create more effective soldiers for the army; Crystal Shine had volunteered herself to be a test subject. The result was a total success, she was one of barely 100 synthetic alicorns serving, and all of the other test subjects had been killed in the transformation. Although she was young, she still led her ponies with confidence and skill far beyond her years. Her cutie mark was a picture of a unicorn’s horn over a pegasi’s pair of wings. She looked over to the only other surviving member of the Ponies of War, Harrow.

Harrow was a very bellicose pony, he was always looking for a fight, and he was good at it too. He was only slightly younger than she, but much more experienced in the ways of fighting; he carried a large sword, a Long Sword at his side always. He had grown up in his father’s leather shop often receiving beatings for shirking work and working late into the night to catch up. He was a hardened, cruel being; perfect for the military life. His coat was a light brown accented with his short, dark brown mane and tail contrasting with his cutie mark, a skinning knife. Harrow grimaced as the first chariot touched down.

“I hope these ones last longer than the last ones did.” He muttered distastefully, his deep voice broke the silence. Crystal Shine looked on worriedly.

“I hope so too, I don’t need another large loss of life on my conscious. Not again.” She agreed.

“I don’t know, I’ve heard the new ponies are all conscripts, that’s never a good sign for long life.” He turned around and trotted back to their makeshift camp. Crystal Shine stayed, and watched as the first of their new members made his way off of the chariot.

The unicorn stallion trotted off of the chariot, he had a sage green coat with a dark blue mane; his tail was a mixture of the two colours. His mane was combed and split down the middle but his tail was a little messy. Crystal Shine noticed his cutie mark; and strange looking knife, then she noticed the same knife was strapped to his hoof. He strode forward confidently, taking in his surroundings until his eyes came upon Crystal Shine. He walked straight to her keeping a careful eye. He stopped barely a few inches from her face.

“Hi.” He said; Crystal Shine smiled at him.

“Hello.” She said in return.

“Uh... I’m Tag Shadow, I believe you’re Crystal Shine, right?” He asked. Crystal Shine nodded.

“Yes, I’m the leader of the Ponies of War unit, it would appear that you’re the first one to have arrived. I would like to welcome you firsthoof to our little... family.” Her eyes grew distant for a second, she brought her focus back to Tag, his own eyes seemed off, as if he was talking to another pony.

“Sorry, I heard what happened to the previous members, I’m... I’m really sorry.” He murmured. Crystal Shine shook her head.

“It’s fine. I’ve dealt with this before.” She reassured him. “Why don’t you head on into the camp; our other member, Harrow is there.” Tag nodded.

“I’ll see you there I guess.” He said.

“Yes, we’ll have a meeting to really get to know each other once everypony arrives.” Crystal Shine explained. Tag walked passed her and trotted to the camp, Crystal sighed. The next chariot arrived.

Another unicorn stallion, entirely white, stepped off of this chariot; the pegasi guards took off as soon as his hooves left the platform. This stallion’s most defining feature was his face. He was… odd, his mouth was more pointed than a normal pony’s would be, had long whiskers that extended from each side of his snout. His mane was long and slightly unkept, it flowed behind his back much like his tail. He looked around lazily, and then yawned. He had disturbingly long fangs that made Crystal shiver. The pony, if even that, noticed Crystal and walked over to her; as he got closer she could see that instead of hooves he had paws, each with long claws on the end. He seemed to regard her nonchalantly; she wasn’t entirely sure how to feel about it.

“Hello.” She said. He nodded to her.

“Hello.”

“I’m Crystal Shine, the leader of the Ponies of War military unit.” She said and held out her hoof again; the pony shook it.

“I’m Phantasmane, but ponies call me Phantom.” He introduced himself.

“Nice to meet you Phantom, if you need anything please ask. Otherwise you can head into the camp over there,” she pointed it out with a hoof, ”and meet the other members of the unit.” Phantom nodded and trotted off in the direction Tag had earlier. Crystal watched after him, she could feel curiosity eating her up from the inside.

The next pony was another stallion, a pegasus; his coat was a desert tan colour, his mane and tail were short like Harrow’s but black and red. His cutie mark was of a strange vehicle like thing with a long tube on top, she couldn’t make sense of it. He seemed to be unaware of the area around him as the chariot took off. He noticed Crystal and strode over to her confidently.

“Armoured Command reporting for duty ma’am.” He said curtly, he even put a hoof to his head in salute. Crystal was taken aback by his military like manner.

“At ease, Armoured Command. I am Crystal Shine, your commanding officer.” Armoured Command nodded his head and put his hoof down. Crystal held hers out for him to shake, which he did so respectfully.

“Am I to assume that that’s the camp over there?” He inquired pointing towards the camp with a hoof. Crystal nodded.

“Yes, feel free to go put your things in one of the tents… there’s… enough for everypony…” She felt saddened at the realization, before the incident they had been sharing one tent between two ponies, now… they had a few extras. Armoured Command seemed to notice her sadness.

“Forgive for speaking freely, ma’am, but… I read the report… they fought and died with honour, like any military pony should.” He whispered. Crystal was taken surprised at the sudden tenderness in his voice.

“Thank you… but it still doesn’t make me feel better about what happened…” She trailed off. Armoured Command nodded again, his face becoming hardened.

“Right, well I must go. I shall see you in the camp, ja?”

“Yes, I must welcome the other newcomers.” Crystal explained. Armoured Command saluted again and stepped off toward the camp. Crystal took a shaky breath.

The next pony to get off of the chariot was a mare; she was a little short comparatively. Her mane and tail were black and her coat was grey. She seemed to be unsure of what to do next and flinched as the chariot behind her took off. She glanced around nervously and moved toward Crystal.

“H-hello…” She said timidly.

“Hello there.” Crystal said warmly, the pony seemed to relax slightly.

“I’m Terrabyte.” She said seemingly more confidently. Crystal couldn’t help but tilt her head.

“Terrabyte? That’s an odd name…” She wondered aloud. Terrabyte looked away.

“My parents are… a little odd.” She mumbled. Crystal shook her head.

“I didn’t mean anything by it, forgive me. I’m the leader of the Ponies of War.” She explained and held a hoof out. Terrabyte shook it slowly. Crystal glanced at Terrabyte’s flank to see her cutie mark; she had not idea what it was. It appeared to be a hexagon beside a line with another line through it. “Do you mind if I ask what your cutie mark is?” She asked. Terrabyte glanced back at it herself before answering.

“My parents told me that it’s old Neighlic, it’s supposed to mean ‘survivor’.” She explained. Crystal looked at it again, she regretted not studying the old pony languages back in school.

“Right, well, the camp is over there if you want to get settled.” She said pointing it out to Terrabyte who nodded.

“Thank you, I’ll see you over there I guess.” She mumbled and trotted away. Crystal watched after her, she began to feel worried again.

The next pony to step off was a unicorn mare with a well cared for mane and tail, the were both a mix of black and red, full-bodied and groomed out so that her mane hung around her shoulder, and her tail bounced behind her with every step. Crystal Shine had to admit she was beautiful. The mare looked around through red-shaded glasses that sat on her snout. She trotted over to Crystal slowly and looked at studied her for a moment

“I’m Saren.” She said. Crystal nodded.

“I’m Crystal Shine, leader of the Ponies of War unit.” Saren pushed her glasses back up her snout.

“It’s nice to meet you.” She stuck out a hoof; Crystal shook it. Saren stood there awkwardly for a moment. “What… what are the other ponies like?” She asked anxiously.

“There’s a mix, I will say, but I’m sure that you’ll find one or two to be friends with.” Crystal reassured her. Saren nodded and smiled slightly. “The camp is over there behind me, feel free to put your things in one of the tents.” Crystal said. “We’ll have a meeting once everypony arrives.” Saren nodded again and trotted to the camp.

The next pony to get off of the chariot appeared to be a synthetic alicorn, his wings were tightly held against his red coat and his short brown mane and tail were brushed to the side. His horn was an odd case; it had been broken at the base. He walked over to her, he seemed slightly unsure of each step he took.

“Good, uh, afternoon ma’am. I’m… Allko.” He muttered.

“Afternoon, Allko, I’m Crystal Shine.” She said extending a hoof. He shook it slowly. Crystal realized that he was a lot like Saren and Terrabyte; she hoped that most of the others weren’t so unsure of themselves.

“You’re a synthetic alicorns?” She asked looking at his broken horn curiously, beside it the tip of his right ear had been torn away. Allko nodded slowly.

“Yeah, I was one of the few that survived… but I’m sure you know about that.” He said looking at her horn and wings. “I was a unicorn, but now I can’t do anymore magic so I’m left with my poor flying skills.” That was where synthetic alicorns fell short of real alicorns; aside from being mortals, synthetic alicorns were only good at their natural ability. Alicorns that were previously unicorns were good at magic with a slightly below average flight ability, and vice versa for pegasi, earth ponies had been experimented on, but none of them survived. Crystal Shine had been a Pegasus previously.

“Do you mind if I ask how you broke your horn?” Crystal asked. Allko looked away, his ears flattened slightly.

“I’d rather not get into it if it’s the same to you.” He said cringing slightly. Crystal Shine nodded.

“It’s quite alright, I was just curious, but feel free to head on into the camp ever there.” Allko nodded and trotted passed her and toward the camp. Crystal sighed, there were still a few more to come.

--

In the camp things were starting to get a little crowded, and tense.

Most of the ponies that had arrived were sitting around the large fire pit in the middle of the camp; among them were Tag, Armoured Command, Harrow, Phantasmane and Saren.

“Sooooo…” Saren said trying to start up a conversation. She looked at Tag nervously. “Should we introduce ourselves?” There was silence for a time. Tag stood up slowly.

“I’ll start I guess. I’m Tag Shadow.” Harrow snorted. Tag stopped and looked at him. “Is something wrong?”

“Nothing, please, go on.” He said stifling a smile. Tag continued to look at him before talking again.

“I’m from Canterlot… I was… a writer before I got sent here.” He finished lamely. Phantasmane looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

“A writer? What kind of cutie mark is that for a writer?” He asked pointing at Tag’s cutie mark with his paw. The whole group was silent.

“I wasn’t always a writer, but I won’t go into that.” He said and sat down. ”Somepony else can go now.” Saren opened her mouth but Harrow spoke up.

“I used to work in my father’s leather shop, he wasn’t very happy with me because I never did my work, he used to hit me a lot. Finally got tired of that and ran away to join the army… so here I am.” He summed up. After he sat down nopony else said anything.

“Anypony? Anypony at all?” Tag asked looking around; nopony would meet his eyes. He fiddled with his knife.

--

Crystal Shine had taken a seat having grown tired of standing around waiting for the next chariot. She sat in the shade of a large boulder. She could hear the distant sound of another chariot approaching. She stood up and trotted into the open as it came into view.

She was an earth pony mare with a gray coat. Her mane was slightly spiked out and deep green with what looked like light green highlights. Her tail was the same deep green as her mane and hung out behind her. She made for Crystal Shine immediately.

“Afternoon.” She said.

“I suppose it is afternoon now, isn’t it?” Crystal Shine sighed; she had hoped they would be done arriving by noon.

“Yes, I’m Ardennes by the way.” She said smiling slightly.

“It’s nice to meet you Ardennes, I’m Crystal Shine, commanding officer of the Ponies of War.” Ardennes looked thoughtful for a moment.

“How many times have you had to say that today?” She asked good-humouredly. Crystal Shine smiled.

“More times than I should have to, the new ponies appear to be arriving single file for some odd reason.” Ardennes nodded.

“Yeah, there was a problem at the office back in Canterlot; apparently there’s a threat to the princesses so they can’t send out too many guards at once. It’s a real pain in the plot if you ask me.” She explained. Crystal Shine watched after Ardennes’s chariot worriedly as it disappeared into the sky.

“Not really… It’s more worrying than anything…” She hoped the threat wasn’t what she thought it was. Ardennes put a hoof on Crystal’s shoulder.

“I’m sure they’ll be fine, they guard managed to fight off the changeling invasion, I’m sure they can get through all of this.” She pointed out. Crystal shook her head.

“That was over one hundred years ago, there hasn’t been much of anything that big since then. And it was the Elements of Harmony that ejected their leader from Canterlot Castle.”

“I’m sure it’ll be fine.” Ardennes repeated.

“Yes, you should head on over to the camp. Feel free to throw your things into one of the tents and meet some of the other new recruits.” Ardennes raised an eyebrow.

“Am I the only conscript here?” She asked.

“No, I just prefer to say recruits over… conscripts.” Crystal explained. Ardennes nodded understandingly.

“Okay then, I’ll make my way into the camp.” She said and trotted away. Leaving Crystal alone to her thoughts. “Celestia forgive me for my failure…” She breathed.

--

Phantom was laying on his sleeping bag inside his tent when he heard hooves on the ground outside; they stopped outside the flap that was his front door.

“Do you mind if I come in?” he recognized the voice from the campfire, Tag?

“Sure, what’s going on?” He asked. Tag pushed his way in and stood watching Phantom intently.

“I came here to ask you not to inquire about my past in front of other ponies.” He said slowly. Phantom looked at him.

“Why?”

“Because my past is rather… dark. I’d rather not give others a false impression.” He said. Phantom sat up and regarded Tag with a curious stare.

“I think you’re making this worse than it needs to be.” Phantom mumbled. “But whatever, I won’t pursue it.” Tag nodded slowly.

“Thank you, I’m sure I’ll be able to tell you eventually.” He backed out of the tent, leaving Phantom to watch after him with a bewildered look.

--

Harrow and Armoured Command were still sitting around the campfire. Everypony else had left shortly after Saren’s attempt at making conversation. Harrow glanced at Armoured Command who just looked at the remnants of last night’s fire.

“So, what’s your story?” He asked trying to at least be friendly. Armoured Command didn’t say anything at first, and Harrow thought he had not heard him and was about to say something else before he spoke.

“I was in the military previously, few years ago. They threw me out for being ‘brutal’.” He started, Harrow’s eyebrow shot up.

“Cruel?” He asked. Armoured Command nodded.

“They told me to take prisoners, I don’t take prisoners.”

“Care to elaborate?”

“I killed several ponies that had already surrendered after an encounter.” He said simply.

“What, just like that?” Harrow said, he sounded vaguely impressed.

“No, there was a long battle of the question of my sanity but I proved that I was indeed sane and they let me go. Then I get a letter saying that they’re sending me back in. Not like I was complaining because I hadn’t even done anything since then.”

“I’m guessing the military was made for you or something?” Harrow asked noting Armoured Command’s muscular shoulders. Armoured Command nodded.

“The entire family is in the military, at least the stallions are. Doing anything else just didn’t feel right. So here I am, stuck in a company of newbies and cowards.” Harrow didn’t say anything.

--

Another chariot had touched down, this pony seemed a little spacey, and Crystal Shine could see his eyes darting around behind clear glasses. He was a deep but imposing blue with a spiky mane and tail, both were combined black and sky blue. He was an earth pony, and he plodded over to Crystal Shine with an odd look on his face.

“Hi…” He mumbled. Crystal Shine immediately reverted back to her kind, welcoming posture.

“Hello!” She said happily. “I’m Crystal Shine, what’s your name?”

“I’m Free Thought.” He said still mumbling. Despite bot being able to meet her gaze, he seemed almost entranced with the rest of her body, with an almost expert looking eye he ran from the end of her tail to the tip of her horn. It was so fast that Crystal Shine had almost missed it.

“Is there a particular reason that you seem to be observing me?” She asked curiously. Free Thought jumped having been so occupied.

“Sorry… it’s just a habit I have…” He trailed off looking away. Crystal Shine looked at him.

“What kind of habit would this be?”

“A… A painting habit… more of a hobby though, I like to… paint.” He answered. Crystal Shine smiled again.

“That’s nice, but I need you to get settled into the camp. Maybe later you could… paint me.” Free Thought managed a small smile as he padded passed her to the camp.

“A painting of me. Never thought that would happen.” Crystal Shine thought aloud. She had never been one for showing her stuff, of course if this was a hobby it probably wouldn’t even be that good. What was the harm in letting him try?

--

Allko sighed as he took a look around the entirety of the camp; it wasn’t as large as he thought a military camp would be. There were about twenty tents set up in four rows of five. Between the middle rows was the campfire. Two ponies were sitting there; one was brown and the other was tan, they whispered to each other quietly. Allko felt a twinge of uneasiness as he turned the corner. He saw a red-coated mare looking at the tents uncertainly, she was right in front of his.

“Can I help you?” He asked; the mare jumped.

“Sorry! I just forgot which tent I had put my stuff in…” She said. Allko sighed.

“Do you want some help?” He asked trying to be friendly. The mare nodded.

“Yes, that would be nice.” Allko trotted next to her.

“Well this is my tent, I suppose we should go down the row then.” They walked down the row poking their heads into the tents.

“…I’m Saren… what’s your name?” She asked after a while.

“I’m Allko.” He said. Looking over at her he could see that she was looking at his horn.

“Yes, I’m synthetic alicorn with a broken horn.” Saren shook her head.

“I was just curious as to how you broke it.” Allko looked away.

“I prefer not to talk about it.” He mumbled as he poked his head in another empty tent. “What about you? Any stories to share?” Saren was silent for a moment.

“I have degrees in Science and Magic so I do stuff with that.” She said. Allko gave her a look.

“…Like what?”

“The conversion of magical energy to machine power through the use of magical inlets and outlets while at the same time trying to find a way to make the conversion while keeping the life of the magical source safe.” Allko was silent.

“I didn’t understand any of that.” He mumbled. Saren giggled.

“I didn’t really think you would. To put it simply I’m working on using magic to power machines.” She clarified. Allko nodded.

“Okay now that sounds familiar, I think I heard about that back when I worked in Hoofington.”

“What did you do there?”

“I was developing this machine called a computer, it’s a fairly new project that had apparently shown promise. Of course after I had volunteered for the alicorn project I couldn’t really work on it anymore…” He trailed off as memories flooded his mind. Saren looked at her new friend curiously.

“Are you okay?” She asked. Allko shook his head.

“I’m fine.” He mumbled and poked his head into the last tent on the row. “There’s nopony in here, is this your tent?” He asked. Saren put her head in beside him.

“Yes! Thank you!” She said happily and hugged Allko who managed to blush before Saren remembered herself and backed away from him. “Uh… sorry about that.”

“No… no it’s fine, caught me by surprise is all. Anyway, I’m gonna head back to my tent, remember we have to meet around the fire pit.“ Saren nodded.

“I guess I’ll see you there.” She said and entered her tent; Allko stumbled off to his.


There shouldn’t be that many more chariots, soon Crystal Shine would have to give her speech about fighting the good fight. At least they were hopeful.

The sound of a pegasi guard’s powerful wings told Crystal Shine that another chariot had arrived.

Crystal couldn’t help but stare at the next pony that got off. She was a pegasus with a gray coat. Her light green mane stood almost straight up and her ripped up tail was short behind her. Her face seemed rough and her expression was angry. The oddest part of it all was that she was wearing socks. She flew over to Crystal Shine.

“Evening.” She said gruffly.

“Evening.” Crystal Shine said. “You are?”

“I’m Frizel. Do you mind telling me why they sent me here?”

“Well I’ll be able to tell you once everypony arrives.” Crystal explained. Frizel seemed unhappy with that response.

“What are you hiding?” She demanded as she struck an offensive looking pose. Crystal Shine remained unfazed.

“I’ll tell you tonight.” She repeated. Frizel seemed about to raise a hoof against her. “Don’t try it.” Her voice was dangerously calm now. Frizel said nothing but left for the camp. Crystal Shine let out a breath. “Why would she be here… surely she can’t be…” Crystal Shine shook her head slowly.

--

Terrabyte sat up; she was tired of sulking around in her tent, she was going to go talk to somepony. She got up and trotted out of the tent.
Almost immediately after exiting she walked right into another pony.
“Oww…” She groaned as she fumbled as she tried to get up. She looked up to see a blue hoof.

“I’m really sorry!” She heard a voice say. Looking up she could see a small blue colt standing in front of her. His eyes seemed to have a mixture of fear and concern. Taking his hoof she stood up. Neither said anything for a moment.

“Um… I’m Terrabyte.” He didn’t say anything. He looked around.

“I… uh… I’m Free Thought?” Terrabyte tilted her head.

“Are you asking me a question?” She asked. Free Thought shook his head slowly.

“Sorry… I’m Free Thought. I just got here.” He muttered.
(whythefuckcan’tIgetthisbartogoaway)
“It’s nice to meet you Free Thought.” Terrabyte said trying her hoof at a reassuring smile. It seemed to work as Free Thought smiled weakly.

“It’s… nice to meet you.” He said talking a little louder. “I’m just sort of…. Overwhelmed by it all.” Terrabyte stood next to him.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure that a lot of other ponies are feeling that way too.”

“You think so?”

“Well they seem to be fighting about a lot of things, I think we’re all a little scared of each other right now.” Free Thought was thoughtful for a moment.

“But aren’t we supposed to be working together?”

“We should be… but will we?”

--

The next pony carried himself with high regards. He was brown, with a long black mane. His cutie mark appeared to be a hammer and chisel, partially covering it was a beige coloured vest. Crystal Shine noticed the glasses on his snout as he observed his surroundings contentedly. As he walked towards her, she decided to meet him halfway.

“Hello, I am professor Tigrean from the university of Hoovington. I assume that you’re Crystal Shine?” He asked.

“Yes, it’s nice to meet you Tigrean.” She said and extended her hoof. Tigrean shook it.

“I’ve heard many things about you and the synthetic alicorn project. Just to satisfy my curiosity, do you mind if I asked how the transformation occurred? How was it that they attached a horn to your head?” A long, distant scream came from the back of Crystal’s mind; the kind of scream that came from a pony that couldn’t die. She shook her head.

“I’d really rather not go into detail, but if you’d like to satisfy your curiosity there is another alicorn in the camp; his name is Allko.” She told him. “You should see him easily, he has a broken horn.” Tigrean’s curiosity seemed to deepen.

Right then, I look forward to meeting this Allko pony then.” He said. “I also assume that there is some sort of camp that we’ll be staying in?” Crystal Shine nodded.

“Yes, the camp is over there.” She said pointing it out to him.

“Good, I shall head there presently.” He trotted away.

“A professor huh?” Crystal Shine asked herself. “It just makes less sense with each pony.”

--

Frizel had no idea what she was doing. She paced around the inside of her tent angrily.

“Why did they have to send me here? Things were perfectly fine back in Chestermare!” Her mind grew slightly distant as she remembered the friends she had been forced to leave behind. She groaned out loud and threw herself onto the bed.

“Hey, stop it over there! I’m trying to sleep!” Came a voice, probably from one of the tents adjacent to her. Bad temperedly she stood up.

“What if I don’t want to?” She called over to him defiantly. There was a pause. She jumped when a pony shaped thing stepped in.

“If you don’t want to I’m gonna have to gag you.” He said. Frizel just stared at him.

“What are you?” She demanded. He shrugged.

“Not much of anything. Not a pony. But not much of anything.”

“Don’t play with me.”

“I’m not.” He said still regarding her with lazy eyes. “There really isn’t a name for what I am.” Frizel growled.

“Whatever.” The pony thing raised an eyebrow.

“What’s got your… socks in a twist?” He asked regarding her hoofwear.

“Don’t you even care that you were forced here?” She asked. He shrugged again.

“Not really, there wasn’t *that* much for me back where I came from.” She looked at him unsure of what she thought of him. “So am I gonna have to gag you or what?”

“I’d like to see you try.”

--

The next chariot landed right in front of Crystal Shine. The pony standing on it was incredibly imposing, and seemed incredibly afraid.

“Are you coming?” She asked light heartedly. He looked at her. “Come on, I’m Crystal Shine.” He reluctantly stepped of the chariot and jumped as it took off behind him. He looked at her with wide eyes, saying nothing until she spoke again. “What’s your name?”

“I’m… Matheniel.” He said quietly. Crystal nodded.

“It’s nice to meet you Matheniel.” She said happily. “I’m the leader…” She had casually looked over at his flank to see what his cutie mark was; it was of a hammer pointing downward with two wings, one was black and the other was white. He noticed her unease.

“I know what you’re thinking.” He said taking a step toward her. Crystal Shine’s eyes narrowed.

“You’re an arbitrator?” She asked. He nodded slowly. “Why would they send an arbitrator?” He looked at her unhappily.

“They said it was because I was becoming too aware.” He explained.

“Well that doesn’t happen very often.” Crystal sighed. “Right, we’ll have to get you settled in. Why don’t you head over to the camp and put your things in an unoccupied tent, it’s almost time for the fire meeting anyway.” He nodded.

“Is that it over there?” He asked pointing at it.

“Yes, not too much but it gets the job done.” Matheniel trotted off slowly in the direction of the camp. Crystal watched as the chariot flew away. That was all of them, all the new recruits. 11 in all. It was her job to train them into one of the best military units there was. Crystal Shine finally trotted back to the camp.