• Published 2nd Dec 2012
  • 2,016 Views, 111 Comments

MLP: The Next Generation - The Grimm Reaper



The next Generation of the Elements of Harmony must come together to defeat the upcoming threat.

  • ...
11
 111
 2,016

Chapter 3: Family History

Celestia and Luna both sat at their thrones as Hawkeye emerged with the seemingly calm Grimoire. He was looking around the throne room as if a butterfly was circling him in strange fashions.

“Well done Lieutenant. I see you managed to sway Grimoire into joining you.” Celestia said. Grimoire just grinned as he looked at one of the windows that showed Twilight and her friends defeating Discord. Hawkeye leaned away from him slightly.

“Actually, I think he’s just tagging along for the fun of it, Princess. I don’t really know what’s up with him. I mean he says that he’s at my disposal, but I assume that’s just for as long as he’s interested.”

The white Stallion lay down on the stone floor and yawned, closing his eyes and going to sleep on the spot. Hawkeye was flabbergasted at his casual and unprofessional display in front of everypony’s matriarchs.

“You could at least pretend to be respectful, Grimoire.” she growled at the Unicorn. Grimoire said nothing as he lifted his rump, making look like he was bowing down before the two Princesses. Luna chanced a giggle at the display, receiving a bemused glance from Celestia. The dark princess cleared her throat and addressed her descendent.

“Grimoire,” she began, receiving an opening eye from the Stallion. “As you probably know, we are requesting your aid in finding the Elements of Harmony. It has also come to our attention that you caused somewhat of a ruckus in the city earlier today, fighting with Captain Golden Armour.” The stallion stood up again and smiled.

“Wondered when you’d bring that up. I was expecting it to be the first order of business. You’re going to ask me whether or not placing crystal magic blockers is going to affect my ability to detect the other Elements of Harmony.” he stated matter-of-factly. Luna simply nodded. Hawkeye noticed that she wasn’t shocked at having been so easily read by the Unicorn. It was as though she was used to such conversation between them.

“Truth be told, I don’t know. I’ve never searched for the Elements before so I don’t exactly know how it will affect my tracking skills.” he said, smiling in a casual manner.

Hawkeye began to feel as though the conversation had transformed into one between relatives, instead of a formality between Princess and Subject. She felt out of place.

“Nevertheless, the Captian has recommended we block your magical powers for a certain amount of time as punishment for causing havoc in the streets. Do you accept the punishment?” Celestia asked. Hawkeye wanted to protest. If such a punishment did bar their progress in finding the Elements of Harmony, it would interfere with her mission. But she kept her tongue in her mouth as Grimoire just smiled again and nodded.

“If it is what your majesties believe to be the best option.” He was surprisingly sane as he conversed with his Great Aunts. It almost scared Hawkeye to think that his sanity was when he was at his worst. Celestia rose from her throne and went through a transformation Hawkeye had never seen before. Her eyes changed colour, going from that soft Lavender colour to blood red. Her sclera turned green and a purple smoke left her eyes. Her horn glowed a mixture of black, purple and green and fired it at Grimoire who pointed his horn at the beam. Seconds later, Celestia returned to her majestic self and Grimoire had small black crystals growing around his horn. Hakeye had never seen such a power before, and it frightened her to think that her Princesses could harness such dark power.

Grimoire shook his head, shaking off the residual after effects of the dark magic from his body. Through his eyes, he could see the veins of energy throughout the room growing erratic around the Princess.

“You overdid it. The area’s stained with disarray. It’ll take some time before things feel the same again.” he said, looking around the room. Celestia returned to her throne and nodded to Luna who approached the now displeased Unicorn. Grimoire stopped looking around and rested his eyes on Luna.

“Grimoire, be a good boy while you help Hawkeye, okay? I’m counting on you to help us. I’m scared and I need your help.” she sounded sincere. Hawkeye almost believed it if it weren’t for the fact that she didn’t believe Luna herself would say something like that with sincerity. Grimoire tilted his head slightly, causing Hawkeye to think he didn’t believe her either.

“Okay, Luna. I’ll help, for you.” The two then touched noses and hugged each other. It was almost romantic had they not been related in some way. How they were related, Hawkeye no longer cared. The mission had barely begun and she was already beginning to grow sick of it, the stress was too much.

“Luna’s the only one Grimoire ever trusted during his colthood. She foalsat him for his parents and they got on swimmingly. He’s like a little brother to Luna and She’s the sister figure in his life. She visits him in the asylum more than I do. I’d go more often, only duty demands my attention. I’m sorry about that, Grimoire.” she said.

“That’s alright, Aunt Celestia. I just think of it as you giving Luna more time to see me.” he replied.

Hawkeye cleared her throat, bringing everypony’s attention back to her. Grimoire and Luna both separated from their hug and stared at her.

“If it’s all the same to you, Grimoire, I’d like to get started.” she said. Grimoire grinned at her and nodded.

“Excellent. I can’t wait to make some new friends.” he said. Hawkeye thought he sounded a little sarcastic when he said that. Luna quickly kissed his cheek before letting him go. Hawkeye followed the seemingly energised Stallion out.

“Okay, what was with her? Are you and Princess Luna an item or something?” the Pegasus asked as they casually walked down the long hallways to the main entrance.

“No. We’re just very close relatives. I sort of fill a void in her heart. I’m something she’s always wanted but could never have, what with her being barren and all.” the unicorn was casual as he spoke, oblivious to the shocked expression Hawkeye grew on her face as she realised a truth about Princess Luna.

“She’s barren?” Hawkeye whispered back to him. Grimoire reciprocated by homering her and whispered back.

“Yeah. It was a low blow when she found out. I think in the long run, I was the one foalsitting her; or she foalsat me while I filled the role of the son she would never have.” Grimoire stepped out the front entrance and began to float in the air with ease, moving around in no particular pattern. Hawkeye had difficulty both keeping up with him and figuring out how he could be so casual about being like a son to Princess Luna herself.

“Aren’t you honoured to have her considering you as her own? I know I would be, not to mention many other ponies in Equestria.” Grimoire stopped moving around and floated beside the Pegasus.

“She’s not allowed to think of me as her own. The bloodline won’t allow it.” he replied. Hawkeye considered him for a moment.

“What, because you’re related to the bloodline of Princess Cadence?” Grimoire turned to face his fellow Element and smiled at her.

“That’s just one branch of the family of which I am descended. It goes all the way back to Twilight. It’s because of what happened to her that I can’t claim lineage of the throne. But it doesn’t matter.” the Unicorn never lost his smile as he spoke. His demeanour toward the subject at hoof confused her to new lengths. He truly was crazy, to not care about whether or not he could potentially become Royalty. It was as if Princess Celestia or Luna themselves claimed they no longer cared for the occupation.

“Grimoire… How did you become the way you are, or were you born crazy?” she asked. Grimoire chuckled and shrugged.

“Nopony remembers their birth. Probably a good thing too; such a scene would scar them for life. The whiteness of the hospital room, the laboured panting of the mother coupled with the curses she throws over to the father,” Grimoire chuckled again. “That rubber covered hoof rubbing your chest to force you to breathe, and the instant you do, you’re trapped in life itself.”

“You remember it, don’t you? If anypony could remember their birth, it would be you.” Hawkeye followed the Unicorn as he led her towards Ponyville.

“You presume to know me already? You think I would remember my birth? I have seen births while locked up in my room, and I have watched every foal cry. I wonder why they cry instead of just breathe, because being forced to live is a burden nopony likes until later on. Life is always new and scary when it begins.”

“So even you don’t remember?”

“I didn’t say that.” the Unicorn increased speed, causing Hawkeye to struggle to follow due to her armour.

“Slow down a bit!” she called. Grimoire looked back and sighed. He returned to her side and kept his eyes on hers.

“You’re too slow.” he forced more magic into his hovering spell and supported Hawkeye underneath. The Pegasus felt the invisible platform touch her hooves and she retracted her wings, letting blind faith keep her from falling. Fortunately, she was right in presuming that Grimoire had expanded his hover platform so she could fit. It was like riding on a magic carpet, a story which always stole her heart.

“Look mom, no wings!” Grimoire called out in a mock impersonation of her voice. The innocence of it all made her giggle, something she hadn’t done in a long time. She stood next to Grimoire, flying through the land without the use of her wings. It was so strange to her, but it was interesting as well.

“This is amazing!” she called over the wind. Grimoire said nothing but continued to look around as if searching for something. “How far are we from the Element of Honesty?”

As they flew over the border into Ponyville, Grimoire began his descent. “We’re close.” he said, coming to land right in the town square. Ponies of all kinds stared at the pair, wondering how they both managed to fly.

Hawkeye stepped forward. “We’re here on official business. We have reason to believe that one of the Elements of Harmony is here. We ask for your cooperation while we search for them.” she spoke with an authoritative voice that drew even Grimoire in. He quickly shook off the effect her voice had and began looking around. He could see dozens of energy veins flowing freely. He smiled as he saw them. These were the purest veins he’d ever seen. Nothing was tainted in Ponyville, most likely purified by the Elements of Harmony, Twilight and her friends.

“This is a lively town indeed, so much happiness within it.” he looked around, searching for any sign of the Element of Honesty. Fortunately he came across an energy vein that stood out from the others. While most of them had a blue hue to them, this one was orange. He grinned as it revealed the path to their objective.

“Found it.” he called to Hawkeye who followed the seemingly random pacing unicorn. He led her through alley ways and behind houses, through gardens and along the forestline. He finally came to a stop before a farm. Grimoire had lost the trail at the edge as it broke out into a swarm of energy lines of the same colour.

“Home base.” he said, stepping onto the property. Hawkeye followed behind him, looking around the farm.

“This is the Apple family farm. I thought Applejack didn’t have kids.” Hawkeye protested.

Grimoire continued forward. “She didn’t. She pursued a sexual relationship with Pinkamena Dianne Pie. Her sister however, continued the family bloodline. Big Macintosh, sadly was neutered after his grandmother mistook him accidentally tripping over Applejack as a sign of incestuous tendencies.”

Hawkeye hissed sympathetically at the long dead Macintosh. “Poor guy.”

“Not really. He buried her alive in the back corner of the barn the next day in revenge.” Hawkeye cleared her throat and moved closer to the white unicorn.

“How do you know all this?” she asked.

“I’m looking at the family history right now.” he replied, stopping at the door to the farmhouse. He knocked three times and waited before he and Hawkeye were greeted by a young orange Earth pony with a red mane and tail. She sported a Stetson hat that looked like it had seen better days. The farm pony looked up at the two guests and smiled.

“Howdy folks! What can Ah do ya for?”