• Published 28th Nov 2012
  • 2,652 Views, 40 Comments

Doctor Whooves - Episode 1: Beyond the Limits - The Grimm Reaper



The Doctor has expended his regenerations, but the TARDIS isn't done with him just yet.

  • ...
1
 40
 2,652

Chapter 4

The remaining six ponies, along with The Doctor, began racing through market stalls. Pinkie Pie began buying party items, most likely for her Time Lordy party as she called it. Rarity bought rolls of fabrics which she carried in the air above her head. Applejack bought a few dozen apples with an Easter theme. She called them Zap Apples. Fluttershy bought nothing as she was too afraid to deal with strangers, even though some were her ancestors. Rainbow Dash bought an original Wonderbolts costume and tried it on immediately. She began zooming above the market, cheering with delight. Derpy bought a pair of glasses that seemed useless to her. They were small and square, just resting on the tip of her nose.

“Now I’m the doctor.” she teased, winking at the chestnut stallion. In return, he just snorted with amusement and broke out in laughter.

“Live for over a thousand years and nearly die five thousand times within each of those years, then you can say that you’re me.” he challenged. Derpy just giggled and fixed her new glasses, which surprisingly straightened her eyes.

“So you’ve nearly died so many times? Don’t you ever fear the next encounter?” she asked. The Doctor just shrugged and smiled.

“What’s life when all there is, is fear of the next day? Besides, it’s the near-death experiences that make me feel alive. The thrill of adventure and all the dangers that come with it. It also helps me to boast my cleverness.” with that, he pulled out his own pair of glasses and placed them on his face. They looked even sillier than Derpy’s and she laughed her head off in response.

“I see you got a new sonic doohickie?” Derpy pointed to The Doctor’s inside pocket.

“Yes, my screwdriver. And it’s red, I always wanted a red one. I think the next one I’ll want might be… orange. Don’t ask me why because I don’t really know.” as they walked together through the market, buying various things. The Doctor stopped to notice something very odd; out of place even. It was a golden sphere no bigger than a baseball. He swooped over to the bench the sphere was on and began examining it.

“No, that’s not possible. Who owns this stall?” he called out. A surly Stallion with a super villain moustache suddenly rose from behind the table.

“How can I help you, sir?” he asked. His accent was very posh. The Doctor tried to pick the sphere up, but failed in his attempts. He looked to Derpy for help. As she raised it, she had to put it down immediately afterward. She then struggled to lift it once more.

“That sphere, where did you find it?” The stall owner looked closely at the sphere and smiled.

“Sir, I cannot divulge the location of this item’s origins –.”

“Where!” The Doctor shouter, startling all the ponies around him. The main five and Derpy drew in closer, slightly rattled by The Doctor’s sudden change in personality.

“Uh… In the Everfree forest. There were a couple dozen of them. We took them and tried to melt them into bits, but no matter the heat, they wouldn’t melt.” he replied. The Doctor pulled out his sonic screwdriver and began pointing it around the sphere, the screwdriver emitting that high pitched warble as he did so.

“Doctor?” Fluttershy squeaked.

“Those orbs, were they attached to anything? Some sort of bronze plating?” The Doctor urged. The stall owner began to hesitate.

“Tell me!!!” he yelled.

“Y-yes! They were all attached to some sort of strange metal statue. It looked broken, there was dirt all over it. We saw the gold and took it, it was quite easy.” the owner began to shiver and behind the stall, he was wetting himself. The Doctor flicked his screwdriver and looked at its readings. He paused, falling to his haunches.

“The ball’s inert. Oh thank goodness.” he said. He began to laugh, dropping his screwdriver. Derpy picked it up and patted him on the shoulder.

“Doctor, what’s wrong. I haven’t known you for long but this is weird, even for you.” she said, handing him the screwdriver. He took it and placed it back in his pocket.

“I suppose it’s only understandable. They did take my last regeneration. I’ve a right to fear them. Oh god, I haven’t been this angry and this afraid since…” he stopped. As he wiped his face, he turned to the stall owner.

“Listen, don’t sell this thing. Gather your friends and whoever they sold these things to and encase them in a box and bury them as deep as you can. Alright?” The Stall owner nodded, standing back up.

“But Sir, before I do, could you tell me what we took?” The Doctor looked at the orb again and shuddered.

“You took pieces of armour.” he replied, walking away. As the six ponies followed him, the owner began to pack up his stall, hiding the orb from everypony. The Doctor made his way back to the TARDIS, which was now surrounded by the Equestrian equivalent of Law enforcement.

“I really wish I’d fixed that cloaking system now.” he said. As he and his six followers approached, one of the lawful ponies tried to buck the door open. In response, he just hurt his hooves.

“Oi! Stop kicking my home!” The Doctor called. The enforcers then surrounded the seven of them.

“And what exactly is this thing? It’s no home I’ve ever seen. And it seems a bit small to house you.” The chief approached with blind authority.

“Oi, you’re the ones known for selling out doughnut stores, not me. And since when have I gone to your homes and tried to kick the doors in, then critique the décor?” The Chief ignored The Doctor’s comments and looked to the others. His eyes rested on Derpy.

“I see you bought my son’s reading glasses. I’ve asked him to get rid of them for months and get a new set. Nice to see he went half way through it.” he said. Derpy just showed her new glasses off proudly.

“Please, Officer. I need to get my rolls of material inside before it rains. I can see storm clouds coming and I just got these.” Rarity spoke up. The Chief turned to her.

“I’d like to let you Ma’am, but the doors just won’t open.” he replied. The Doctor just snorted and walked around the Chief.

“Of course they won’t open for you. They’re Isomorphic, which means only certain ponies, such as myself and seven others can get in. The doors only open to our touch. Example.” As the Doctor spoke, he opened the doors. Just as the officers went to storm through, he closed the doors behind him, preventing their entry.

The other six ponies remained outside, surrounded by the officers. They watched as the TARDIS began to disappear. Grouping together, their vision became distorted as The Doctor re-emerged the TARDIS around them. The six of them were startled as the walls of the TARDIS surrounded them. There stood The Doctor with his white coat over one of the hand rails, his hooves frantically pressing buttons and flipping handles.

“Right then, that’s you six cleared. Your police have run with their tails between their legs and now we just wait on Twilight. I’ve taken the liberty of setting up rooms for each of you. I’ve labelled them in your names. Just go down that hall, past the Library and the petting zoo, around the Swimming Pool, make sure none of my kitchenware falls in. It’s annoying having to pick bits of plates out of the water. Even more so when I have to drain the pool and fill it up again.”

“There’s a pool in your kitchen?” Rarity asked.

“No. Yes! Well it’s more of a giant sink, there’s a plug hole with a cork plug and everything. Look, just walk through there, I’ll fiddle with the gravity and you can all just fly to your rooms.” The six ponies did as he said, and walked through a corridor. Within a minute, the gravity disappeared and they were all weightless. Fluttershy tried to run to a hiding place, but the attempt was useless. Applejack began to kick her legs as if swimming, enjoying having gone nowhere. Rarity used her magic to bring her rolls closer to her, then she formed a magic hand to pull her forward Each Pony grabbed something and used it as leverage to move forward.

“This is so awesome! I just wish I could fly through gravity using my wings, not propulsion.” The other six looked at her.

“What? I read a little with Twilight. So sue me.” As Rainbow Dash endured their teasing stares, Twilight stepped through the front door with a giddy smile on her face.

“Ah, welcome back Twilight. Had a productive time, I presume?” The Doctor asked, giving her a quick glance before returning to his work at the console. Twilight stopped beside him and bumped him playfully.

“You knew what would happen, didn’t you?” she asked, looking him in the eye.

“Of course, it was in her Diary. Now then, our friends are back there enjoying weightlessness, there’s a storm brewing and coincidentally, there’s a dimensional rift riding alongside it, so I’ll be staying here to absorb the energy, kind of like giving the TARDIS a drink after such a long trek, or filling up a tank.” Twilight’s mood dropped as he began raving on about stuff she didn’t understand.

“What’s a dimensional rift?”

“Think of reality as a corridor with hundreds of doors. You open one door and step through it to find yourself in a similar corridor, but slightly different. That’s another reality. You know it’s another reality because there is another you about to head toward another door.” Twilight rubbed her head as she tried to contemplate what he was saying.

“Alright, consider a wall in reality, you break down that wall, and you find slight differences behind that wall.”

“Okay.”

“Well it’s nothing like that.” Twilight collapsed at that comment.

“A dimension is everything around you, everything you do defines the dimension. Another dimension is the result of a choice you or someone else made that would have changed your life. Think of it as a ‘What If?’ timeline in your life. There could be a dimension where you’re not Celestia’s student, where you never met your friends. You could potentially be a threat to this world, its new ruler, you could be alone and miserable, you could be married.” The Doctor flicked a switch and a tree line appeared as a hologram, showing examples.

“Probably should have lead with this. Okay, you see your first major decision. Do you warn Celestia of her sister’s return, or do you let it be and go on about your day. As you know, you warned Celestia and gained friends. What you didn’t do is the beginning of an alternate dimension. Your decisions branch off into different outcomes. This is what’s called an alternate dimension. Do you understand?” Twilight looked at the hologram and nodded.

“I get it. So what does this dimensional rift do?” The Doctor flicked the switch again and a violet line began appearing between every tree line.

“Basically this. It’s a storm that rips through time and space. Like tearing your way into another room through a door made of fabric. People, or in this case, ponies could potentially stumble into the rift and end up in their alternate or random dimensions. Which could be disastrous if in another dimension, they are dead, or a most wanted criminal.” The Doctor flicked the switch once more and everything disappeared.

“I need to close that rift as well, because there’s the possibility that the creature the hemisphere belonged to is still alive and is attacking Equestria in its own dimension. If it gets through the Dimensional rift, it could end up here… And I can’t let that happen.” Twilight became confused yet again.

“Wait, what hemisphere? What creature?” she asked. The Doctor ignored her and continued to press buttons on his console. Before she could urge him, the others entered. When they saw Twilight, they ran towards her and began flooding her with questions and information. The Doctor finished what he was doing on the centre console and went to sit down in a comfy chair. He was joined a minute later by Derpy, who seemed bored.

“How can I help you, my dear?” he asked. Derpy just shrugged and sat beside him, shoving him to one side.

“Alright then.” he uttered as he grabbed a book from his pocket and positioned it on his leg. An hour later, the storm had begun, the girls stopped what they were doing and were dining around the makeshift fireplace that the TARDIS had generated. In order to keep a calm environment, The Doctor had allowed the raining sound to penetrate the usually sound-proof walls, giving it that homey feeling. Derpy had fallen asleep beside him and he was going through his seventieth book. He yawned and tossed the book away.

“Oh Bella, I’d have gone for the warm werewolf instead of the cold sparkling vampire boy. Least there’d have been no chance of his kid killing you during childbirth.” he mumbled. Gently sliding past Derpy he returned to his console and checked on the Dimensional rift. It had closed completely and the TARDIS was now fully powered. In his mind, he could hear the distorted and monotone voice of the Dalek calling out ‘Exterminate!’ With a shudder, he came to a decision. He pulled a lever down on the console and it jerked, startling every Pony. Hitting every button on his side of the board, The Doctor began to travel to a new destination. The startled ponies went up to him and began asking jumbled questions. When the TARDIS stopped moving, The Doctor leaped over the ring of mares and headed out the door.

Outside the TARDIS was a small crater with bits of metallic objects sticking through Closely examining the crater further, he found the imprint of what he was looking for, but not the object. The Dalek had been resurrected through the lightning of the storm. His hearts began to pound at rapid paces as his greatest fear came to life. He yelled into the sky.

“NO!!!” Running back into his ship, he flew past the ponies who had just made it to the doors.

“Doctor, what’s outside?” Rainbow Dash said, about to stick her head out for a peek. The Doctor pulled his sonic screwdriver out and pointed it at the doors. The sound rang and before Rainbow Dash could see anything, the doors closed on her, deadlocking themselves.

“Doctor!” Twilight yelled. He just replaced his screwdriver and began searching for something on the console. A screen appeared and began showing every city in Equestria. Nothing had changed.

“What?” The Doctor began, examining every city. He expected total destruction, some damage at least, but nothing had changed.

“That’s not right, where are you?” he asked as he shut off the hologram and sat back in his chair, clearly in thought. Derpy went up to him and placed a hoof in his.

“Doctor, something’s wrong. What is it?” she asked. The Doctor looked at her hoof, then to her. Her eyes, fixed with the glasses, looked directly into his.

“That’s just it. Nothing’s wrong, nothing’s happening out there and that’s what the problem is.” Every pony looked at each other, confused as to his meaning. The Doctor just sighed.

“That golden orb I was freaking out over before at the market. It’s called a Hemisphere. It’s one of fifty-four. They’re a part of a mechanical suit of armour that holds a creature inside called a Dalek.” Just the name made every pony shudder.