• Published 27th Nov 2012
  • 304 Views, 0 Comments

The Silent Tale - Flutterkiin



This is the story of Silent, assigned by Luna to protect the Elements of Harmony and Equestria.

  • ...
 0
 304

Prologue

Princess Luna was sitting behind her desk, writing, as a navy blue unicorn paced back and forth. The unicorn was showing his impatience as Luna shook her head and looked up.

“Okay, since thou art so impatient with Us, state your name.” The unicorn stopped his pacing and looked the Princess in the eyes.

“You know my name, Princess. We just had this conversation yesterday with Celestia,” the unicorn said.

“Yes, We remember. But for the sake of the paperwork, it is required that We go through every question once again. We hope that thou wilst understand our procedures. After all, thou art applying for the Commander of the Lunar Task Force.”

“Very well, Princess Luna. My name is Silent Trail, descendant of Shadow and keeper of the legacy,” Silent said as Luna nodded and wrote something down on the parchment in front of her.

“We thankest thou, Silent. We must ask, thy second name, be it family-given or self-given?”

“Your highness, I gave myself my second name, after I graduated from your Academy. It seemed fitting for the career that was before me. I request that I keep it, although my career may be somewhat changed now.” Silent could not help but feel a sense of relief when Luna nodded in acknowledgement of his request. Luna beckoned Silent to sit down, only speaking again when he did.

“What is thy cutie mark, pray tell? We are… not sure that We can see it. Doest thou not know thy own special talent?”

“My cutie mark is reflective of my special talent to change. I can change my cutie mark whenever I please, to whatever is needed for my task.”

“Very rare is this skill. We have only known one other pony to possess this particular cutie mark. However, We believe that to be another issue. We shall simply put ‘not applicable’ for the time being,” Luna said as she continued writing on her parchment. She gestured Silent to stand and he complied.

“Thou art applying for the Commander of the Lunar Task Force. Thy duties shall be to monitor the workings of the Intelligence Department and the Department of Homeland Security for Equestria. Art thou aware of the perils of the job, and art thou willing to do what thine princesses demand?” Luna looked straight into Silent’s eyes as he nodded with a straight face.

“I am aware of the duties of my position and I am equally aware of the dangers that I may face in the line of duty. I am sworn to obey my Princesses, even to death, be it needed.”

“Then it is Our pleasure to announce thy promotion to Commander of the Lunar Task Force. Forgive Us for not mentioning this earlier, but Our dear Sister very much desires to speak with thou. We have given Our sister command over thou, for We have deemed that her task is of great importance. Tarry not, make haste to Our sister. We will remain in contact with you with a skill that We shall bestow unto thou at a later time. Thou art dismissed, Commander.” Silent saluted and left Princess Luna’s office to go to Celestia’s Court session that was currently under way.

When Silent arrived at the waiting room of Celestia’s Court, the guards stationed at the entry-way stepped in front of Silent’s path.

“State your name and business,” one of the guards said as the other stared at Silent.

“Silent Trail, Commander of the Lunar Task Force. I was summoned by the Princess and must speak to her as soon as possible.” The guards looked at each other before one of them told Silent to wait as the other went into the Court. Ten seconds had passed before the guard who had gone in came back out and allowed Silent to pass. When Silent walked through the doors, he saw Celestia sitting on her throne, two unicorn guards stationed at either side. Celestia gently smiled as Silent approached her throne and bowed.

“Greetings, Commander. I take it your promotion went smoothly?”

“Yes, your highness. I was told by Princess Luna to seek you immediately, as I am under your command for the time being?” Silent looked quizzically at the Princess who had been the one he reported to for quite some time.

“Indeed. I have perhaps the most important long-term contract you have ever received. I need you to go to Ponyville and keep tabs on the adventures of the bearers of the Elements. Your orders,” Celestia paused as she pulled out a scroll and gave it to the navy blue unicorn, “are to make sure that no attacks are made that the Elements cannot handle. You are also to clean up any ill-fated conflicts that may occur during their adventures.”

“Understood, your highness. I accept my orders and will move to Ponyville. I assume I will need to stay under-cover?”

“Yes, Silent, you will need to blend in among the ponies. Although, I believe that you already have dug yourself in quite a bit?” Silent nodded, remembering his last trip to Ponyville.

“Then I believe we have nothing else to discuss. Good luck, Commander.”

“Thank you, Princess,” Silent said as he saluted and walked out of the Court. As he left, he smiled, knowing that his life was going to get a lot more interesting.