• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 20,913 Views, 1,656 Comments

Letters From a Friend at the End of the World - alexmagnet



Twilight receives a letter from Trixie one day, but it raises more questions than it answers.

  • ...
56
 1,656
 20,913

PreviousChapters Next
3 — Change of Address

Chapter 3:
Change of Address

“I’m sorry, ma’am. I’ve double-checked—I’ve triple-checked—but there’s nothing here addressed to you besides the letters I already gave you.” The mailpony shrugged apologetically.

“There has to be something else,” Twilight insisted. “Check again.”

He sighed. “Look, ma’am. I’ve already checked three times, and nothing was there any of those times. What makes you think something is going to magically show up now?”

Twilight’s lip curled into a pouting expression. “Just look one more time, please?”

With an exaggerated roll of his eyes and heavy sigh, the mailpony shuffled out of the room.

Twilight let out a soft sigh of her own. “This is so odd,” she said, looking down at Spike. “How could Trixie have been sending me letters all this time and yet I’ve never even gotten one until today? I don’t understand.”

Spike folded his arms across his chest. “Don’t you think you’re overreacting, just a bit? So what? Trixie sent you some letters, big deal.”

“It is a big deal, Spike. Didn’t you read the letters? She seemed different than I remember her, and she thinks I’ve been getting all her letters. There must be a reason why she’s sending me them in the first place.” She closed her eyes in concentration. “Think, Twilight, think. Why would Trixie send me letters? And what is she looking for?”

Spike stifled a yawn, interrupting Twilight’s thoughts. “Come on, Twilight, we’ve been here forever. That guy said he couldn’t find anything, so why are you still asking him to look? Maybe we should just go back home.”

“We can’t go back yet,” Twilight said determinedly. “Maybe he missed something? There’s no way a year’s worth of letters just disappeared without a trace. That just wouldn’t make sense.” She tapped her hoof against the wooden floor unconsciously, lost in thought.

A few minutes later, the mailpony came back, a slip of paper clenched firmly in his mouth. Twilight’s eyes lit up. He placed the paper on the counter and smoothed it out.

“Don’t get your hopes up,” he said. “This is just a note I found back there. But,” he added, “it does have your name on it.”

Twilight cocked her head to the side. She looked down at the little scrap of crumpled paper. Through all the tiny bumps and ridges, she could see that it did indeed have her name written on it. Multiple times, in fact.

“Request to have the mailing address of one, Ms. Twilight Sparkle, changed has been approved by the Ponyville District Post Office,” said Twilight as she read the note aloud. “In the future, all parcels and packages addressed to ‘Ms. Twilight Sparkle of Ponyville’ should be directed instead to the neighboring district—” She came to a sudden stop as she reached the end of the note. It was torn near the bottom, cutting off the last of the message.

She held up the note to the mailpony. “That’s all you found?” she asked. “There wasn’t anything else? No other letters or explanation for why my address was changed?”

He shook his head. “I’m afraid not, ma’am. That’s all I found. You’re lucky I even found that, too. The darn thing was lying underneath somepony’s desk, all crumpled up and covered in dust. Only found it because I dropped my hat by mistake and had to bend down to pick it up. There it was, just lying there all by its lonesome.”

“But, how am I supposed to know who changed my address, or why? Isn’t there anything else you can do?”

He removed his mailpony’s cap and scratched his head. “Sorry, ma’am. I’m not sure how much I can help you.That note’s almost a year old,” he said, motioning towards the paper. “Check the date at the top.”

Twilight squinted; she could barely read the faded lettering at the top of the paper. “September twenty-third, one-thousand,” she read. “So, you can’t tell me who submitted it?”

He shrugged. “About the best I can do is point you in the direction of the neighboring district’s post office. They might be able to tell you whose address you’re on now, but I doubt we would’ve kept records for an address change for this long. Not many ponies live here, so our records don’t need to be updated very often. Half the time we don’t even update the records book at all,” he chuckled.

Twilight sighed. “Well, thanks for your help anyway. I suppose we’ll need to head to that other post office now. You said you could point us in the right direction, right?”

He nodded. “Come on, I’ll show you how to get there.”

***

A tiny bell chimed as the Twilight opened the door to the small post office. It was much smaller than the one in Ponyville and there was only one old, graying pony working at the desk. Twilight let the door close softly behind her as she approached the mare behind the desk.

“Umm, excuse me, ma’am,” said Twilight softly. “Can you help me with something.”

The old mare didn’t even look up from her newspaper to respond. “Mail goes in the basket, payments go in the bucket,” she said, indicating each receptacle in turn.

“That’s not why I’m here, ma’am.”

She lowered her newspaper and stared at Twilight. She had the bored expression of a young foal on her face, but the sagging wrinkles of an elderly mare. “Yes? What do you want?”

“Well,” began Twilight, “I’m looking for a record of address changes from September of last year. Do you have anything like that? Or do you know where I can find something like that?”

Spike nudged Twilight’s leg. “Don’t forget to ask her about buying more stamps,” he whispered.

“Shh, Spike. Not now,” Twilight whispered back. Clearing her throat, she looked the elderly mare in the eye. “So, can you help us?”

She stared back at Twilight for what felt like hours before finally sitting up and approaching the receptionist’s desk. “Records from September of one-thousand, huh? Yeah, I got what you’re looking for.” With heave and a grunt, she lifted a heavy-looking leather-bound folder onto the desk. Unfastening the strings holding it together, she allowed the book to fall open. She spun it around to face Twilight. “You’ll find all the records of address, name, and any other information changes here.” She flipped to the last third of the book. “Here’s where September starts”

Twilight’s eyes gleamed. “Thank you so much!” She placed her hoof beneath the first name and began dragging it downwards, scanning the names. It was in alphabetical order, so she skipped ahead a bit to get to the ‘S’ section. Her brow knit further and further as she read name after name. Eventually, she stopped on one name.

“Twilight Sparkle, Ponyville,” she read. “Found it! Okay, now let’s see what it says about an address change. Request to have, blah, blah, blah. ‘Ms. Twilight Sparkle of Ponyville’. Ah, here we go. The new address is... wait,” she paused. “I know whose address that is. It’s...”

Spike raised an eyebrow. “...Rainbow Dash?”

PreviousChapters Next