• Published 22nd Nov 2012
  • 1,196 Views, 13 Comments

Finding Solace - Demichev

  • ...
4
 13
 1,196

Nightmares

Nightmares

Pain.

He jolts awake with a small scream. His heart is beating fast and he has a splitting headache. These nightmares, why does he keep having the nightmares? Why can he not remember what they are once he jolts awake? It’s like this every night. He goes to sleep and then awakens in fear, sweating, with a horrible headache, and no memory of what woke him.

He hopes he hasn’t woken his sweetheart. A touch on his back makes him turn to see what is touching him. It is her. He has awoken her and the look in her beautiful eyes are full of worry, yet calms him down. He is mad at himself for waking her. It has been like this for months and they are both suffering sleep depravation from his nightly violent awakenings,

“Nightmares again?” she asks softly. Her voice is laced with tiredness and frustration. He knows the frustration is not directed at him, but at his body and it’s inability to give them both just one night of sleep. Sleep uninterrupted and peaceful.

“Yeah.” he responds. His voice is just tired. Tired of waking, tired of waking her, tired of this constant cycle he is trapped in.

“Do you remember anything this time? Anything that might help us find a way to get rid of them so that you can finally rest peacefully?”

She said “us,” and that’s why he loves her. She’s been with him step by step, night by night and has suffered with him through everything. She has never once been angry with him for waking her. She’s been there every night to calm him down when he comes out of whatever nightmare has been plaguing his every night.

“No, I still don’t know what keeps waking me. I still have no memory of what it is that wakes me. I only know that every time I wake up, my heart is beating like I ran a marathon, and my head hurts like someone is trying to drive a searing hot spike into my skull. I’m so tired, dearest, not only physically, but mentally as well. I’m tired of waking you up with this. I wish you could get the sleep you deserve, the sleep you need.”

She puts a hoof on his lips to stop him from saying anything more. She looks into his eyes, a small tired smile on her face. The love she has for him is deeper than any body of water on the planet. She too wishes for something. She wishes she could take the nightmares away. She wishes she could give him peaceful sleep. She wishes they could lay here at night and fall asleep and not wake up until Celestia’s sun rises over the horizon and Luna’s moon dips below that same horizon to give the ponies on the other side of the planet rest. Rest that her love has been deprived of for months.

“Shh.” she whispers. “It’s okay, I know your heart. I know you want solace and want to be able to rest uninterrupted for once.” She giggles softly and then continues, “I know you’d give me the world if you were able.”

Her giggle, it makes him happy. Even when everything seems at its worst, her giggle makes everything alright. That’s what he wants to be able to give her. Happiness. Sure she’s happy when she’s around him, but he wants her to have more happiness. To see her smile without being tired. To hear her laugh and to see the sparkle in her eyes. He would give it all just see her that way. He would give his very life, if only to see her eternally happy.

He wraps his hands around her hoof, rubbing it gently. He kisses the top of her hoof and then looks into her eyes. “Indeed I would give you all of Equestria and the lands around it if it were in my power. You are worth that and more to me. After all I put you through with my restl-”

“Shh,shh,shh, enough of that dear, please try to get some sleep, I know it is hard, but you really must get at least a little rest.” she interrupted.

“Alright, I-I’ll try.” he said.

With that they both laid down and after a little tossing and turning his beloved was asleep and snoring softly. He, however, was not sleeping. He feared to close his eyes and risk waking the one he loved again. Instead, he laid there watching his love sleep. He loved her long pink mane and how it flowed like pink river across her sleeping yellow form. He watched the rise and fall of her side as she slept.

After awhile he decided to go downstairs and read a little. Carefully, as to not wake his sleeping yellow mare, he slipped out of bed and walked softly out of the bedroom and down the stairs. All the while he thought of how much he loved Fluttershy. He would do anything for her, even if she asked him to climb up the tallest mountain, he would do so. He remembered when he first met her how she had been the first one he had met that had been kind to him. Even though he was something she had never encountered before.



She had been with one of her friends, Twilight, that day and the two had taken a walk along the edge of the Everfree. Of course, many feared the Everfree for it’s strangeness, but the edge of the forest wasn’t as wild as it is deeper in. They were walking along the edge of the forest when they happened upon him. They weren’t really sure what they were looking at, but since this was the edge of the Everfree they weren’t surprised that they ran across something they had never encountered. Twilight, being the ever curious, but cautious mare was the first to edge closer and try to get a good look at what it was without risking her safety. She was within a few feet him when he stirred. This surprised her, so she reacted by using her magic to restrain him. Her magic not only restrained him, but also was effective in waking him. He looked around and screamed.

Fluttershy heard this scream and it struck a cord in her. She knew that sound. It was of something that was frightened. She jumped out of her hiding place and loudly told Twilight to let him go. Twilight responded that she couldn’t because this creature might attack them. Fluttershy then explained that this creature was acting out of fear and not out of bloodlust. She told Twilight to look at the creature and when Twilight did, she saw the creature cowering, fear evident in his face. Twilight released the being from her magic, and the being curled up. Fluttershy saw this being shaking and could hear the distinct sound of crying. She saw this and could only think of one thing to do.

Fluttershy walked over to this being, put a hoof on it and said, “There, there now, nothing is going to hurt you. Shhh, shh, no need to fear. We just want to help.”

The being stopped shaking and slowly turned to look into those blue pools. He surprised the two mares when he asked, “Where am I? What is this place? Who am I? How did I get here? What’s going on?”. After that short time, he passed out.

The rest of the story is him waking up with only the memory of his name. He was in Fluttershy’s house being tended to by her. Apparently the two ponies had no idea what to do with him and since Fluttershy’s house had been the closest, they had taken him there. For weeks she took care of him. She had admitted to him later that she wasn’t afraid of him like she was afraid of most other things. She couldn’t explain why, but something about him was different.

Several months after they discovered him, he found himself with feelings for this creature who had taken care of him and had been the first to show him kindness. He told her one night when she was tending to him that he loved her. She had reacted by stopping and looking at him for a bit, then she told him that she felt an attraction to him as well. That is how they became lovers.

Many would think this relationship between an equine and a human would not work, but in this case it did. He was careful not to upset her or do anything that might be deemed inappropriate. He deeply respected her and did not want to do something that they might regret. So he was perfectly fine with a non-sexual relationship. Another thing that made him content with that arrangement was when Twilight had stopped by to check on his progress. Fluttershy had been enthusiastic when she told Twilight that he and Fluttershy loved each other. Twilight had looked at him and then told Fluttershy that she was sorry, but that the two would not have children because he was genetically different. Fluttershy said that was okay because they had agreed to have a relationship that that didn’t have children anywhere in it.

He spent his time helping Fluttershy do things around her house. She could do everything without, but since he had hands, they quickly found that he could do them with more ease. The extent of life was that he stayed in or around the house and never left it. Fluttershy’s workload was lessened by him and as such she had more free time. They spent that time together just enjoying each other’s company. When it came time for a restock on supplies Fluttershy would be the one to get them. She had asked him to come along once, but he had declined stating that he feared that he would scare the other ponies and that was not something he wanted.



He had been reading for hours now and Celestia’s sun had begun it’s accent over the horizon, bringing with the glories of day time and the life that comes with it. Even with the little sleep he got, he was happy with his life. Nothing meant more to him than his love and her smile. He decided to make her breakfast.