• Published 8th Jan 2012
  • 13,236 Views, 209 Comments

Dying Embers - MrSpartan



What came before the country of Equestria? A tale of revenge and bonds of loyalty.

  • ...
37
 209
 13,236

Snuffin Out the Flame

Illitheous spat at the ground in disgust upon seeing the returned element bearers now with a new artifact of some kind.

I don’t know what that thing is you had your little brainwashed slaves fetch but they will not get a chance to use it,” He said.

The lich wound his arm back, ready to throw a ball of fire at the interlopers. Thankfully, he was interrupted by a magic projectile smacking him in the stomach. His fireball dissipated as he clutched his gut. Steam rose from the sun princess’ horn. Her head flopped back down. She had used every last spark of magic she could spare.

“Twilight, I can do no more. You and your friends must do your best to stop him on you own.” She said in a raspy voice.

Now seeing the devastation first hoof the undead creature had inflicted Twilight wasn’t so sure, not without the princess’s help. Twilight Sparkle made to object but the princess interrupted her.

“I believe in you Twilight. All of you.”

The elements of harmony steeled themselves. They had done the seemingly impossible before and they could do it again.

“Ok girls, just keep him occupied until I use this thing,” said Twilight.

The others gave their nods of agreement. Meanwhile the tiny hole that pierced Illitheous’ gut was now healed. He looked back up to Tia. Realizing was no real threat at that practice moment he turned to the main six.

He snarled.

_

_

_

_

_

Meanwhile…

PULLLLLL YOU MONSTERS! PULLLLLL!” A particularly hairy human fellow ordered the two ogres harnessed to the elemental siege drill. “If we don’t get there in time you can kiss your ugly hides’ goodbye!

He wiped them for good measure. They along with the rest of the humans were steadily working their way up the mountain to Canterlot. The first Equestrian defenses had retreated almost the minute they laid eyes on the approaching invaders. Their numbers were the bulk used in the fight for Ponyville much to the Crusaders delight. They would have been content taking their time up the mountainside but after the Seeing Crystal had gone black, right when it had shown Celestia firing a ray of powerful magic at their leader no less, the sense of urgency had jumped drastically. The Crusaders of Fire approached yet another magically reinforced barricade. The siege drill was activated. It didn’t actually spin like a dwarven drill would but the point immediately turned orange with the chaotic raw energy of the elements of nature. Earth, fire, ice, air and plant all converged at the tip and hit the obstruction with a forceful strike. It shattered like porcelain and unicorns retreated again, firing magic missiles as they ran. The front line of humans used shields to keep the others behind them unharmed. One of those in back was the axe warrior Gua who had early gone up the super charged element of laughter and lost. Now he sported a fresh set of bandages on his head. He also was very much not wearing a helmet anymore.

This is taking to long. He thought. If the commander needs us then we should already BE there I can understand pride as a warrior and I get it’s real personal for him but still, not taking us with him wasn’t the best tactic I’ve ever seen. We need to stick together. Ain’t that what he wanted us to do?

All around Gua many were thinking along similar paths.

_

_

_

_

_

HRAAHG!” Illitheous roared while sending another geyser of fire at the two pegasi hounding him. One almost managed to burn Fluttershy but his aim was thrown off again by one of the head sized pieces of rubble bucked at his head by Applejack. His skull would heal the fractures each time but it still caused him pain. He started toward the earth bound pony but was tripped by Pinkie Pie. He caught himself before he hit the ground. He looked up only to see the hyperactive pony was now only a little over seventy paces away, readying her party cannon. A very small part of the black clad figure’s mind registered this and found it to be very odd but the rest of him just wanted to wring her little neck. He raised his fist and punched at the air. The resulting fireball collided with a bundle of streamers and confetti. This furthered Illitheous’ level of annoyance. Next, a bolt of electricity hit him as Rainbow used a storm cloud as a weapon. The undead horror spat fire at her but Rainbow Dash was far too fast a target.

This cycle of distraction would continue just until Twilight Sparkle’s emotion would nearly endow the adamant of order with needed “charge” while Rarity acted as her look out. The human leader meant what he had said about not letting them get to use it though. Whenever Twilight would get close to using it he would ignore through his assaulters just long enough to send out at least his weakest of attacks. Even his feebler moves were enough to necessitate moving out of the way. After all, the fiery corpse could heal nearly any wound, and the mortal equines could not.

Like the turning of the seasons, this cycle of distract, attack, charge, and interrupt continued for what felt like an endless eternity. An explosion followed by footfalls and many lighter ones sounded not to far away. A vaguely skull shaped metal head peaked over a crumbled heap of what used to be a wall. The distant yells of Illitheous’ small army made their way to the fighters. Illitheous’ toothy grin was displayed as the reinforcements worked hard to reach him. He planned to gift his followers with a scene of inspiring victory. One that would further solidify their loyalty to the Empire he reasoned. His ring shined ever brighter with a frightening clarity. He knew how to end this little game of distraction. As Fluttershy flew a little too low the human put massive effort into his legs. He jumped and grabbed Fluttershy out of the air in a single move. She shrieked in surprise and terror. Illitheous held on to her torso with one arm and covered her snout with the other. The smell of burnt flesh and rotten cloth invaded her sinuses.

The cadaver whispered in her ear, “Perish knowing your friends will soon join you in death.

“ILLITHEOUS STOP! Celestia’s family must have granted you more mercy then THIS!” Rarity begged.

The human bristled at that. “You call this mercy!?” he angled his face while it momentarily reverted to the ravaged portrait it had been since the day he had died. Fluttershy felt the old human’s grip tighten around her neck like a noose. “You reap what you sow equestrians! THIS IS JUSTICE!!!

*CRACK*

The human’s body went limp as Rainbow Dash’s hooves made contact. The kinetic energy transferred from them to Illitheous’ face, head, and neck. He fell to his knees and his body slumped forward, his head turned to an unsurvivable position. The fires around his body were snuffed out and his scarred visage staring off into the void. Everypony there including the princess went as silent as the corpse before them. The full impact of what just happened fell over them like a smothering blanket. Twilight in particular looked at her friend in shock. The element of loyalty, her friend Rainbow Dash, had just murdered Illitheous.

“Rainbow Dash…how could you? I just needed you guys to buy me some time to use the adamant of order, not to break his neck!” said Twilight.

Dash fumbled over her words. She had never killed anything before.

“I-it wasn’t my fault! He was going to hurt Fluttershy. I had to do something!” she said.

A huge column of fire erupted into the sky. Illitheous’ torso shot up. His skeletal hands slowly, gingerly, went up to head, grasped it, and *SNAP* back into place. His glowing red eye sockets refocused on the ponies.

You. Kill. Slaughter.

His fury was reaching a new level. He couldn’t even think clearly enough to form coherent sentences. His voice sounded darker somehow now. Slowly the flames around his body turned a purple black. It was at about this time the Crusaders of Fire finally made it to the wasted castle grounds. They skidded to a stop, seeing their leader had things well under control. The black fire was disconcerting though. The young wizard Terran spoke for the group when he shouted.

“Master Illitheous, do you need any assistance?! We stand ready for what you need of us!” Terran said.

A burst of fire erupted near the crusader’s feet. They all jumped back.

Your assistance is no longer required maggots. I now have what I desire.” Illitheous snarled in a deep echo of a voice that wasn’t his own.

The humans just watched, stupefied.

Illitheous marched to Celestia’s prone form. The elements of harmony reacted fiercely. Rock after rock pelted the lich but he barely even tilted his head when they struck home.

Stomp.

Pinkie Pie threw everything she could at him including a kitchen sink but he only swatted every makeshift projectile aside like flies.

Stomp

Rainbow Dash’s lightning bolts from her storm cloud dispersed into nothingness after nearing Illitheous.

Stomp

Fluttershy was so bold as to fly right near him and then begged, pleaded, asked nicely, for him to stop. She started to cry while the creature just spat at her weakness.

Stomp.

He was two strides away from the princess of the sun.

“Twilight just use that thing already!” Rarity screamed in a rare unladylike voice

“I’m trying, but it’s not ready! If I use it now won’t stop him!” The lavender unicorn explained in a panic.

Celestia, tears falling again, closed her eyes. “You’re only the monster my father made and I neglected to save. I’m so sorry,” she paused “I guess that makes me a monster too.” Her voice cracked with regret.

I’m sure my new bone puppet would have loved to hear that, but I’m the only one he’ll be listening to now.” A ringed skeletal hand slowly reached for Celestia’s head and neck. “All this for a insignificant race and a worthless little brother. Ha!” His bony hand stopped. “What is this-“ “Don’t. Ever. Insult. My. BROTHER!!!

The burning skeleton started to yell at himself.

“What are you all just standing here for? Master Illitheous isn’t himself. We have to go help!” spoke Illitheous’ most loyal follower Terran.

A firm hand on his shoulder kept the young man in place. Terran looked over it and met gazes with Gua.

This isn’t our fight anymore. It’s his. The old veteran silently informed the prodigy magician.

With a resigned frown Terran nodded and stared back at his intimidating mentor. Said mentor was clutching his head with both hands and screaming at the sky. On his right side was the black blaze and on the left was the red blaze.

Get out of my head! You belong to me now. I am no slave! You’ve always been a slave mortal! Whether it was to your people, your own emotions, or after our deal. It’s all you’ll ever be until I say otherwise! You can shove our deal up your ugly- You will give their souls! I…HAVE…FREEDOM!!! You…HAVE…NOTHING!!!

At that instant Twilight Sparkle was finished preparing the Adamant of Order. The artifact hovering off the unicorn’s back started spinning rapidly. It started a high-¬¬pitched humming sound and expelled silver, magically propelled water. The two beings battling for control of the same undead body were both to engrossed their engagement to even see the stream of liquefied natural order hurtling at them. The blast was blinding. The explosion slowly faded until the others present could see again. All their jaws hit the dirt. The hellish creature was no longer there. In its place was the solemn man once known as Ahdean. The red and black ring on his finger slid off like it was coated in foul grease. It fell to the earth, shattering into millions of pieces. The jewel of the ring released a tiny puff of smoke that resembled a three-eyed demon. A single cry of demonic fury was uttered before being forever silenced. Illitheous couldn’t believe his eyes, nor could anyone else.

He was whole once more. It was a REAL second chance he thought. He did something he hadn’t for thousands of years. Illitheous smiled. It was a beaming smile that caused his cheeks to hurt but it was the best pain he had felt in a long time. Just as the tremendous atmosphere of surprise was lifted from both humans and ponies it returned to one of despair. Illitheous’s skin was wrinkling and flaking off. His midnight shaded hair turned snow white. His fit build thinned out and his posture curled into a ‘c’ shape. The humans, plus one golem, rushed to the aging man’s side with Gua and Terran in front. The ponies helped up their injured Princess who managed to limp over to the human group fawning over their once glorious leader.

Terran blocked her while barely holding back tears. “You won’t touch him.”

“I only want to talk. Please,” said Celestia.

The look in Tia’s eyes spoke of her sincerity. The wizard let her and the other six pass. The previously terrifying man was now a pitiable sight. The golem gently helped prop up the man who had sacrificed a fraction of his soul in order to give it life. Illitheous continued aging by the second as the natural order of life and death took hold. Twilight couldn’t stop starring partly out of guilt and partly out of curiosity. Applejack took her hat off out of respect. Rainbow Dash looked at her friends, not sure how to feel. Rarity put a hoof to her mouth to stifle a gasp. Pinkie Pie’s hair had gone flat with sadness. Fluttershy was crying into Pinkie’s side. Celestia spoke up after Illitheous had halted his current coughing fit.

“Illitheous, what you did was wrong and under normal circumstances I could not forgive you,” Her tone softened. “But these aren’t normal circumstances are they? I meant what I said before Illitheous, every word. I’m sorry.”

"I'm sorry"

Illitheous scowled before going into another coughing fit.

“If there’s anything I may do here, for you, please ask.” Celestia finished.

“Uh Princess-“

“Hush Twilight Sparkle.” Celestia said.

Clutching his chest Illitheous fell to his knees. His hair now fell out in clumps and his hands shook. The black trench coat now hung on him loosely like a blanket.

“Give my crusaders land to rebirth the Black Dragon Empire.” Illitheous uttered.

“Done.” Celestia.

“Leave my fellow humans free and unharmed and they will do the same,” Illitheous.

Terran was about to object but wisely kept his mouth shut out of respect for his master.

“Done.” Celestia.

“I can’t forgive you or your family.” Illitheous stated.

“…I know. I accept that.” Celestia said remorsefully.

He stood up and looked up to the sky one last time. Defiant until the end he spoke.

“Your kind has never understood Celestia. I could never bring my brother back anymore then you your parents. True peace is a lie. Love won’t last and neither will harmony. The only thing all life truly shares…is death.”

Illitheous grunted in pain and his flesh turned to dust, leaving only his bones and the tattered clothing he had worn.

To be concluded…