• Published 21st Nov 2012
  • 611 Views, 17 Comments

The Adventures of Shadow Chaser: Shadows of War - RangerBeef



Shadow stumbles across a deadly plan to take over Equestria and must stop the coming war.

  • ...
1
 17
 611

Chapter 1

"Go to the Griffin Kingdoms, they said. The Northern Lakes won't be cold, they said."

Shadow's ear crackled to life, "Are you still whining, Shadow?"

Shadow stopped at the base of the boat in front of him and pressed his hoof to his neck. "Ya know, a very dear friend once taught me the difference between whining and complaining. Remind me to introduce you to her some day."

"I can't wait," The smile in Shimmer's voice was unmistakable. "For now we've got bigger problems."

"You mean besides a Germaneish ship stuck in griffin territory?" Shadow stepped back, casting his wall walking spell, and began his ascent.

"Well, besides that, you've got a snow storm headed your way."

Shadow stopped and rolled his eyes. "Perfect. So what are my objectives once I'm on the ship?"

"I won't say avoid detection but the fewer ponies that know you're there, the better. And no casualties. We don't need this turning from rescue mission to international incident."

"Right. Speaking of it, why am I on a rescue mission? We've been around for almost ten years now. Don't we have other ponies to handle things like this?"

"Normally, we just use the Shadowbolts but Luna wanted to avoid all detection. So she sent our best operative to get in and out undetected."

"That almost sounded like a compliment, Shimmer."

"Don't get used to it."

Shadow smiled and stopped just short of the railing of the ship, leaning slowly over and scanning the deck. Spotting no one he made his way over the rail and behind the nearest crate that sat on the deck.

Moving from cover to cover he made his way to a door marked as leading to the bridge. He stepped inside slowly and listened, immediately a bad feeling settled in his stomach. He could hear only himself breathing. There were no creaks or clangs from below deck and no sounds of hoofsteps as ponies moved about. Nothing. Only silence. Making his way up the stairs he remained extra cautious. A silence like this meant that any noise he made would be magnified and unmistakable.

As he peaked the stairs he heard voices coming from the only door in a tight hallway. Edging carefully to the door he perked his ears to hear better.

"Everything is in place. We just need to be sure you'll hold up your end."

A shuffle of movement. "Do not imply that we are the untrustworthy. You are the one selling out your own kind."

A grunt, struggling. Through a strained voice, "The Equestrians are not our kind. They are on their own. Their oppression has gone on too long and we aim to stop them."

Oppression? That doesn't sound like us. Shadow thought.

Another shuffle of movement, claws on the deck. "Regardless, we are not yet ready. We're plagued by these blasted snow storms. We will need some time before we can commit to a full assault."

"How much time?"

"A few weeks. We're approaching the end of the worst of the storms. But let me be clear, griffins come first to me. I will not sacrifice my troops if we are needed here in the Kingdoms."

"Understood. We have a deal, then?"

"For now, little pony."

Shadow poked his head around the corner just enough to see the griffin and pony shake on their deal. He quickly noted the several other griffins on the bridge along with other Germaneish sailors. Moving away from the door and to the stairs Shadow let his mind wrap around what he'd just heard.

An alliance against Equestria? This is not good. Time to make my escape and warn the motherland.

Shadow stepped down the first step and froze as he elicited a loud creak. He heard nothing from behind them, their conversation had stopped. Without another second of hesitation Shadow bolted down the stairs, as he reached the bottom he saw a griffin tear out of the bridge above him and clamber down the stairs at him.

As he exited the stairs Shadow paused for a moment, the storm was definitely here, he could barely see three feet in front of him. The snow would make for good cover though. He sprinted across the deck, running for all he was worth. He could beat most ponies in a hoof race but griffins had a very distinct advantage over him. Wings. Making for the bow of the ship where he had come up he heard a screech from behind him. Cutting quickly to his right and looking behind him he saw a griffin slam into a cargo box, splintering the box and sending wood flying.

Continuing his route to the bow of the ship Shadow glanced two more griffins through the snow in pursuit. Putting them out of his mind he ran on, putting all his heart into beating them off the ship. The cold and sharp conditions weren't helping though. As he neared the edge his muscles tensed in anticipation of his dive to the water below, but apprehension was beginning to grip him. He knew this would work but there's always a chance you miss when there's ice on top of the water.

And then Shadow did the one thing he hadn't anticipated. He slipped. He hit the deck still sliding forward with all the speed he'd had while running. Scrambling to get to his hooves to make his dive he slipped again and again, making no progress as the edge of the ship fast approached him.

Swearing as he went Shadow reached out with his magic, in a desperate attempt to slow himself that he knew wouldn't work. He did however manage to throw several cargo boxes off the ship. Finally resigning himself to what would be a painful fall, Shadow sat on his haunches, hooves extended in front of him. He would do his best to mitigate damage once he was airborne. With a heavy sigh, his own momentum carried him off the edge of the ship.

-----

The two griffins closed on Shadow as he sprinted toward the edge of the ship both were told to capture and not kill but that decision would be made once they had him.

As they flew as fast as their wings, and the frigid conditions, would allow, they shared a smiled when they saw Shadow slip and fall. Flying with increased vigor they closed in, but noted Shadow had not slowed down. His momentum from running was carrying him off the ship. He threw several boxes overboard as he slid and then he followed them off the ship.

The two griffins shared an evil grin as they landed on the edge of the ship, seeing a rather large splash below.

"He'll be dead in minutes in that water."

"And even if he makes it out the weather'll get him. Come on, let's go tell the general."

They turned and headed back to the bridge sharing a laugh at the hapless agent's fate as they went.

-----

Shadow stood motionless under the deck where he had stuck. The position he had been in as he slid off, and a spell that didn't know when to turn itself off, had afforded him a quick grip of the outer hull of the ship. He had quickly moved farther under the overhang so the griffins wouldn't spot him. He watched the boxes smash into the ice and water below and heard voices from above him.

He waited for another minute after they had faded away to be sure he was safe, before he began to hike back down the side of the ship.

Pressing his neck as he walked, "Shimmer. We've got a problem."