• Published 20th Nov 2012
  • 1,055 Views, 36 Comments

The Chronicles of Dark Star: A Blade of Redemption - D4ftP0ny



Dark Star journeys to see if he can find a new purpose for his life... as well as redemption.

  • ...
1
 36
 1,055

Chapter 10

The morning sun was bright as it rose over Clyde’s Dale, pouring warm golden light across the town and into the hallway into which Cherry Turnover stepped. She stifled a yawn with her hoof as she pulled the door to her bedroom closed behind her; it had been a restless night filled with hopeless thoughts and nightmares, and Cherry hadn’t gotten much sleep because of them. However, the rising sun meant a rising son for the warm brown mare, and with a firm sigh she pushed all of her uncertainty and fear to the back of her mind.

He needs me to be strong for him, she thought as she turned and made her way towards the front of their small home. I need to be strong so he believes that his dad can come back…

She took a deep breath as she approached the kitchen and it shook slightly as she exhaled. …and it helps me believe it, too.

Cherry shook her head slightly as she entered the kitchen, the room that was without a doubt the center of the Turnover household. Both Cherry and her husband Apple had a love of baking that was second only to their love for each other and their son, so the kitchen held many of their most wonderful memories for their family. Those memories had become slightly bittersweet over the past day, and until her husband was found, one way or the other, the memories would bring about emotions quite opposite from the ones that had made them.

As she entered the kitchen of their home, however, the only emotion that struck Cherry Turnover was an electric twinge of irritation as her eyes swept the room and found her son; he had pulled one of the chairs from their dinner table over to the window and was sitting perfectly still, his eyes peering tirelessly out the front of their home out into the street. Again.

“Cinnamon Turnover,” said Cherry, her voice terse as she tried her best to rein in her agitation. “I thought I told you to stop staring out that window.” Her son simply shifted in his chair, his eyes glued to the street outside.

“I know, Mom,” he answered. “But I want to see it when Dad comes home.”

Cherry’s chest flooded with pain at her son’s simple words, and it was all she could do to keep herself from snapping at him.

“I… I know, Cinnamon, but… but you have to understand that…” She trailed off, unsure where to go from there as her irritation became hopelessness, as it had so many times the night before. What am I supposed to tell him? That his daddy may never be coming home? Her hazel eyes watched her son for a long moment, tears welling in her even though she could have sworn she’d cried them all the night before. She took a deep breath, but before she could speak Cinnamon waved a hoof in her direction.

“I know, Mom- it might take the pony in the cloak more than jus’ one day to find Dad,” he said matter-of-factly. “But it might not, an’ since I don’t have school today, I’m just going to sit here an’ watch for Dad, okay?”

The fear, uncertainty and despair that had been mixing around in Cherry’s heart the night before crested across her face, and with a vexed sigh she put a hoof to her forehead.

“Cinnamon,” she began, her voice tinged with barely-controlled anger. “I told you yesterday to put the chair away and… find something else to do.”

“Yeah, an’ I did- yesterday.” The foal’s eyes never left the street. “But that was yesterday, not today.”

“I know it wasn’t today, Cinnamon,” said Cherry, her voice as tight as her jaw. “But I want you to put the chair away and stop looking out that window, all right?”

For the first time that morning, the young Turnover turned in his chair and looked at his mother, the confusion filling his deep brown eyes cutting the mare deeper than any of her kitchen knives ever had.

“But… why, Mom?” he asked. “Don’t you want to know right away when Dad comes home?”

“Well… yes, Cinnamon, but…” She sighed again, torn between the guilt of forcing her son to give up his vigil and the horrible pain that watching him sitting there all day would bring her. “I… I just don’t think it would be good for you to sit there all day waiting… waiting for your father when he might not…” She choked on her words, her throat tightening around them until they would not move any further. The young colt in the chair simply smiled at her before turning back to his window.

“Don’t worry, Mom,” said Cinnamon over his shoulder. “I’ll be jus’ fine. The pony in the cloak said he’d bring Dad home, an’ I believe him.”

A desperate laugh escaped Cherry’s lips before she could stop it. The pony in the cloak… that’s who my son is placing his hopes on… some stranger in black stalker gear…

“You believe him…” she muttered. “You believe some strange pony will bring your dad back, even when there is no reason for him to try?” She turned away from her son and back to the kitchen, but her words wouldn’t be stopped; they began spilling from her as all the anger, fear and pain that had accumulated in her over the past day welled up in her heart and forced them out. “You believe that some complete stranger will risk his life to go looking for some ponies that he doesn’t even know?” Her voice became louder as she tossed her mane angrily. “You honestly believe that this strange pony can go into the forest and come back alive, when nopony else ever has before?! That he’ll somehow overcome all the traps and Celestia knows what else to save your dad, and that they’ll just come waltzing up the street like nothing happened?!”

Her words finally trailed off as she stood staring at the wall, her eyes hot and her chest heaving; slowly, a blanket of pure guilt draped over the flames of her anger and worry, snuffing them out as she winced. That was exactly what I didn’t want to happen… she thought helplessly. Her shoulders slumped, and it was all she could do to keep from bolting from the room as self-revulsion filled her shaking frame to the brim. Listen to yourself, Cherry… yelling at your son for being hopeful… she chided herself. And you thought YOU were being strong for HIM…

Ever so slowly she took one last, deep breath before she gathered what few shreds of courage she had left and opened her mouth at last.

“C-Cinnamon…” she whispered, unable to keep the shame from her voice. “I… Mommy’s sorry. I didn’t mean to sound so angry…” Cherry turned and brought her eyes back to her son, but to her surprise, he wasn’t looking at her. In fact, he hadn’t turned away from the window at all; he had his hooves placed at the bottom of the windowsill, his face pressed against the glass as hard as he could, his eyes as wide as dinner plates. The mare frowned. “…Cinnamon? What is it?”

The colt turned his wide eyes away from the window and pointed down the street with a hoof.

“Um…” He turned his face back to the window, his voice full of awe. “I… I think you might want to see this, Mom…” His small hoof pressed against the glass again… and as Cherry watched, a tall brown stallion appeared in the window and pressed his own hoof against it, a broad smile on his face as he mirrored Cinnamon’s movement.

Cherry’s eyes widened in disbelief as her heart seemed to expand and fill her chest, welling up and driving all breath from her body. Her knees began to shake as Cinnamon leaped from his chair and hurried to the door; he threw it open and rushed outside, throwing himself at the stallion and tackling him to the ground. There was a loud oomf! from outside, followed by the sound of rich laughter.

“Whoa, easy there, son!” a warm, deep voice chuckled. Cherry’s eyes welled up with tears, even though she was certain she’d cried them all the night before. That’s Turnover… that’s him..! “Dad’s been through a bit of a rough night, you know.”

Cherry didn’t remember running to the door, but suddenly she was there, her entire body trembling as tears poured down her face. She stepped outside to see her son hugging her previously missing husband tightly around the neck. Turnover was muddy and messy, but he looked no worse for wear otherwise, and after a moment of staring, the spell of disbelief seemed to release its hold on Cherry; she sobbed aloud and threw herself at the stallion, landing atop him and wrapping her hooves around him as tightly as she could. She squeezed and squeezed him for all she was worth, her tears wetting his already dirty coat.

“Apple… y-you’re…” she sobbed. “Y-y-you’re here… y-you’re n-not-,”

Suddenly, his forelegs wrapped around her and pulled her close, his muzzle settling atop her mane.

“I’m here, Cherry,” he whispered hoarsely. “I’m here now… safe and sound.”

Somehow hearing him say it drove it home in her heart: he was back, and he was safe… he’d been returned to her. She pulled him close and buried her face into his coat, sobbing as relief flooded her body. He simply held her close, his chin atop her head as the anxiety and pain of the past day was washed away in the cleansing torrent of her tears.

She didn’t have any idea how long she’d cried, but by the time she felt she was done and lifted her head, other members of their community had taken notice. They had gathered around, their eyes curious as the Turnover family slowly sat up in the street, Cinnamon still clinging to Turnover’s neck as he rose to his hooves. Cherry wiped her eyes and rose next to him, her body pressed against her husband tightly.

“Turnover… is that you?” one pony in the crowd asked. “We thought you were a goner for sure!” The brown stallion smiled and shook his head slightly.

“Well, I won’t lie, it was touch-and-go for a while, but we managed to get out safely.”

“We?” another pony asked. “You mean…?”

“Yes- the other ponies who were kidnapped with me are also safe.” He nodded down the street. “Undoubtedly other ponies have realized that Moonflower and her daughter Melody have returned, as well, and are no doubt mobbing them with questions, too.” He grinned at his wife and nuzzled her happily once more. The crowd around them murmured excitedly until finally, Cinnamon spoke.

“Did the pony in the cloak save you, Dad?” he asked eagerly. “He said that he would save you- did he, Dad??”

The conversation around them stopped as Turnover smiled and nodded.

“Yes, son, he did. He came into the village where we were being held captive and saved us all.”

“Did you say the pony in the cloak?” somepony from the crowd asked. “You mean that pony who was here yesterday?”

Turnover nodded. “The very same.”

“Wow… he really did it…” Cinnamon muttered, his brown eyes wide; but after a moment his eyes narrowed, and he looked back to his father. “But… where is he, Dad?” he asked, glancing around the street. “Didn’t he come back with you?”

“No, son, he didn’t,” Turnover responded. “He told us to come into town without him.” Cinnamon opened his mouth to speak, but Turnover smiled and cut him off. “He told me to tell you that he always keeps his promises, and that you should remember what the two of you talked about.”

Atop his father’s back, Cinnamon slumped ever so slightly. “Oh… I… I didn’t even get to ask him his name…” he murmured woefully.

The brown stallion smiled broadly and bumped his son with his nose.

“This is what he wanted, son- he didn’t want reward or recognition, he just wanted us to be safe. But he did tell us his name, finally.” He looked out to the still-growing crowd around them and raised his voice. “The stallion who saved us: his name is Dark Star,” he said loudly. “And not only has he saved us from capture, he has freed our village from the clutches of fear… and delivered a traitor to us, as well.” He nodded solemnly. “His brave actions will never be forgotten in Clyde’s Dale.”

Cherry frowned. “A traitor..?” she asked quietly.

Turnover nodded, his face grim. “Yes, a traitor.” His eyes swept the crowd, and after a moment he spoke. “We need to go have a word with Downdraft. All of us.”

The crowd muttered in confusion, but as Turnover stepped through them and started off down the street they turned and followed him. As they walked, Cinnamon hugged his father close.

“Dark Star…” he repeated softly. He raised his eyes to the sky and smiled. “Thank you, Dark Star… wherever you are.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The water of the stream was cold and clear, but even as clean as it was it stung quite a bit as Dark Star levitated a thin stream of it against his wounds. He winced but continued washing the three long slashes along his right shoulder out, allowing the used water and partially dried blood to trickle down his leg and into the short grass along the bank of the stream. Trees rose sporadically around him, and birds were filling the air with their morning song as the sun rose higher in the sky. There was very little wind to speak of, but every so often bushes would rustle in the glade around him as he went about trying to make sure he wasn’t going to get an infection from his wounds. Even as he washed, however, his thoughts were turned inward.

That griffon was either a much better fighter than the last griffons I battled, or I’m starting to lose my touch… he thought, and as unfortunate as it was he was inclined to believe it was the latter. It had been a very long time since he’d had a duel, and a one-on-one fight was much different than fighting a large number of opponents all at once. He winced again as a particularly stubborn piece of dry blood came loose amid the focused deluge of water that his magic was bombarding his shoulder with. He rinsed the wounds a bit more until he was satisfied, then allowed the rest of the water to splash back into the stream. He levitated a few strips of cloth that he’d cut from the bottom of his cloak and wrapped them tightly around his wounds. I need to focus on my sword training, he thought as he tied the last knot and flexed his leg. I don’t want to be caught flat-hoofed like that again. He smirked slightly as he stood, testing his leg again. And here I thought I’d been keeping up well with it in my exile…

Off to his left, a small stand of bushes rustled.

Satisfied that he wasn’t going to collapse into a heap, Dark’s horn lit up and he swung his cloak over his back, clasping it at his throat but leaving the hood down; on his left side, he felt something thump against his leg, and he winced angrily. The amulet of Anger was there, hidden from sight but not from Dark’s mind. He had done everything he could magically to seal it away from himself, and it was thankfully much more docile than it had been when Wild Wings had wielded it; it was obvious to Dark that it had been given to Razorbeak recently, and that it had not had the time it required to fully bond to another soul and regain its full strength. My sealing magic isn’t the best, he thought as he adjusted his sword, but it’ll have to do until I can figure out a bit more about… everything.

The bushes off to his left rustled again, and this time Dark sighed in vexation.

“I know you’re there,” he called. “You are terrible at sneaking up on ponies.”

The bushes stopped rustling, and for a moment silence hung in the glade. Dark shook his head and turned to leave, but as soon as he did a pony exploded from the bushes and rushed towards him, her powder-blue coat dotted with mud and her platinum mane cluttered with leaves and twigs.

The mare charged him and stopped directly in his path, her body tense and her legs bent as if she were a jungle cat, prepared to pounce on her prey. Dark stopped reluctantly, his green eyes meeting Trixie’s lavender gaze as he arched an eyebrow at her.

“…yes?” he asked impatiently. “Is there something you need?”

Trixie stared at him, her eyes sweeping him from hooves to mane and back again, as if she were searching for something, anything to say to him. Finally, Dark let out another sigh and started to walk around her, only to have her leap back into his path. His eyes narrowed and he turned to go around her the other way, and again she hurried in front of him. The black unicorn’s teeth ground together, and his horn lit up bright blue. You’re going to get a very cold, very wet surprise if you keep this up, Trixie…

“Wait!” Trixie said finally, holding up a hoof as his magic flared. “Please, Dark Star… take Trixie with you.”

Dark’s magic went silent, and he arched an eyebrow at her yet again.

“Take you with me?” he repeated, and Trixie nodded vigorously.

“Yes! Take Trixie with you, and teach her how to use her magic!” Her violet eyes were fierce as she met his cool gaze. “Your magic was impressive in that village back there and… and Trixie has decided to give you the honor of being her instructor!” She stood up straight and raised her nose into the air importantly. “There are those who would kill to be given the chance you have, Dark Star- Trixie suggests you don’t squander it!”

Dark Star stared blankly at the mare for a long moment. …she has got to be kidding, he thought, but as the moment stretched into a minute and Trixie still hadn’t moved out of his way, he began to get the sinking feeling that she was not kidding. Oooh boy… He sighed once more and turned around without a word, turning his back to Trixie and starting the other direction.

He heard a gasp behind him, and then the pounding of hooves as Trixie again circled in front of him and placed herself squarely into his path.

“Please!” she said… and her tone of voice made Dark’s hooves pause in place. “Please, Dark Star…” she pleaded, her voice once again the strange mix of determination and desperation that he’d heard back in the village. “I… Trixie is begging you… train her…” She bowed her head miserably, her mane covering her face. “You saved Trixie’s life… y-you wouldn’t let her die. You said… you said that if you were given a second chance, then… then Trixie deserved one, as well.”

Dark drew himself up to his full height, his eyes cold. “I don’t enjoy watching ponies throw their lives away fruitlessly,” he growled. “Your death would have been pointless. And…” He sighed, and his voice softened slightly. “And I do believe that you deserve a second chance, Trixie. If I got one… there is nopony who doesn’t deserve one.”

“Then take Trixie with you,” she begged, taking a step towards him as she raised her eyes. “Teach Trixie how to use her magic, to really use it. Give her the second chance that you spoke of… please.”

The black unicorn smiled slightly and shook his head. “Trixie… whatever you did… you do not need to come with me on this journey. My crime… requires a heavy penalty. My path will be hard, and it will be dangerous.” His eyes met hers once more, and this time they were hard. “I seek true redemption… something that you can’t possibly understand.”

To his surprise, Trixie met his gaze evenly. “Then show Trixie,” she said simply.

Dark blinked at her, and almost spat a refusal at her point blank… but even as the words rose to the tip of his tongue he recalled the strange flash of magic that had happened between them in the shack when he had rescued her- the unusual surge of strong magic that shouldn’t have been able to happen, and yet it had…

He shifted on his hooves, and he felt the amulet of Anger bounce against his leg again. Maybe… maybe it’s time to get some kind of backup, after all…

“…Who was responsible for that shield spell back in the village?” he asked suddenly. Trixie blinked, and he took a half-step forward. “When I used that lightning spell, you and Moonflower were holding a shield spell between you. Who was responsible for that?”

Trixie watched him closely for a moment, then blushed ever so slightly.

“Trixie was… she felt your spell building, but she wasn’t… she wasn’t strong enough to hold the shield on her own… the white unicorn helped her hold it after she’d cast it.”

“I see.” Dark watched her closely, then nodded. “All right. You can come with me… but on one condition.”

Trixie’s eyes lit up, and she bounced on her hooves excitedly. “Name it!”

“No more of this speaking in third-pony. Ever.”

“What?!” Trixie’s bouncing stopped almost as quickly as it had come, her eyes full of outrage. “Give it UP?! The Great and Powerful Trixie has NEVER given up her manner of speaking for ANYpony!”

Dark Star’s eyes were flat and cool as he stared at her, and after a moment he arched an eyebrow.

Trixie winced and sighed. “But she… but I suppose that… certain sacrifices must be made…” she muttered, her head drooping slightly. Dark smiled and patted Trixie on the shoulder.

“See? That wasn’t so hard, was it?”

“More than you know…” she muttered, her ears laying flat against her head.

The dark unicorn snickered slightly, but turned around and headed the other direction; after a moment, Trixie hurried to catch up with him, her head held high.

“So… where are we headed?” she asked. Dark Star shook his head.

“I’m not sure,” he answered simply. “Hopefully, wherever somepony needs help… somewhere that I can continue my journey towards being… forgiven.” He glanced at Trixie and smirked. “…we’re going to have to get you a cloak, I think. So you fit in with the group.”

To his surprise, Trixie giggled with delight. “That suits me just fine, Dark Star… juuuust fine.”

Together, the two unicorns made their way to the road that led away from Clyde’s Dale and turned south once more; their paths were joined for now, even if they knew not where said paths would take them. But neither cared at that time- they knew only that fate had brought them together, and that to deny that pull would be unwise, to say the least.

Years and years later, citizens of Clyde’s Dale still told stories of the strange black stallion clad in a black cloak who had arrived in their darkest hour to deliver them from the hooves of their enemies- a stallion tall and brave who had risked his own life to save those he didn’t even know. Dark Star never returned to Clyde’s Dale, but if he had, he would have seen a statue erected in the center of their town: a statue of a tall unicorn stallion in a cloak, his eyes full of confidence as he stared defiantly towards the forest, daring any creature to challenge him.

No creature ever did.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
THE END
~*~*~*~*~*~*~