• Published 13th Nov 2012
  • 2,296 Views, 76 Comments

Of Toasters and Time Ponies - Doctor Geagle



It's not easy having to live with the face of another. Especially when it's Doctor Whoove's.

  • ...
3
 76
 2,296

Car Troubles

“When you said you just had your car inspected…”

Brian moaned; his face buried in his hands. The pair were seated on a bench in front of Eric’s Automotive Repair Shop, as their journey west had come to an unexpected halt just outside of Cleveland, Ohio.

“So what if your engine block fell out,” Ace attempted to cheer up his depressed companion. “And resized its bolt holes; and added two and a half pistons; and is now made of Gruyère; and…”

“You’re not helping,” Brian growled, glaring.

“Sorry,” Ace apologized, sheepishly.

“…You were going to say something positive and uplifting,” Brian prompted.

“I just saved…”

“No.”

“Alright,” Ace conceded. “How about, ‘This block is delicious’?”

“Yeah, that works,” Brian agreed, biting into a slice of the former steel.

They sat in silence for a time, occasionally consuming a piece of the relatively small portion of the block they had elected to keep. After about ten minutes, a yellow taxi cab rolled up to them. Brian wrapped up the remaining cheese, stood and walked over to the cab. He had opened the door to get in when he realized the Ace wasn’t following.

“Dude, you coming?” Brian asked. Ace shook his head

“The back of your car was bad enough,” Ace revealed. “I’m not getting into a cab. No offense.”

“None taken,” the driver called back.

“Besides,” Ace continued, clambering down off of the bench, “I want to stretch my legs.”

“So you’re just going to wander off?”

“When don’t I?”

“True,” Brian sighed. “Just don’t get lost.”

“I don’t get lost,” Ace stated. “I always know exactly where I am. It’s everybody else that’s lost.”

“What about Kiski?” Brian challenged.

“That was driving,” Ace defended. “It doesn’t count.”

“Just keep telling yourself that.”

“Jackass.”

“So back here in an hour, then?” Brian suggested, climbing into the cab.

“Sure,” Ace grumbled. Brian closed the door and the cab sped away. Ace turned towards the city and trotted off.

It took approximately ten minutes for him to realize that he didn’t have a watch.

X

Ace wandered aimlessly around the city, eagerly soaking up the sights and sounds of a place he had never been before. He weaved expertly through the throngs of Clevelandites, past striking historic landmarks and restaurants of all flavors in search of his quarry; those shops and oddities that are tucked away in the nooks and crannies of the world and can only be found by locals and the experienced hunter. Unfortunately, the only moderately interesting thing he came across was a prominently featured bizarrely unlabeled solid bronze life-size statue of a man who looked very familiar, but he couldn’t put a name to.

He continued rambling around the city when he was surprised to find something he hadn’t expected. Another pony, seated at a table outside an Italian restaurant in front of a plate of spaghetti.

She was a muted green unicorn with a bright red mane; her cutie mark was a pair of golden bells with crossed red handles and she wore a fitted white windbreaker. Her eyes were clenched shut and her face contorted in concentration. A small red light flickered into existence on the end of her horn. The fork next to her plate was encompassed by the same glow and began to rise. It hovered about three inches above the table for a few moments, then both of the lights vanished and it clattered back down.

“Why can’t I get this,” she moaned, resting her chin on the table.

“Excuse me,” Ace interrupted, trotting over to her. She groaned and sat up.

“Yes, I’m a pony,” she stated firmly, “And no, you can’t…” She trailed off as she caught sight of whom, or rather what, she was looking at.

“Sorry,” Ace apologized. “Is this a bad time?”

“No; I mean yes; I mean,” she closed her eyes and took a deep breath before continuing. “I thought you were a Brony.”

“I was, until yesterday,” Ace joked.

“That’s not what I meant,” she sighed, then went on to explain. “I’m sorry I snapped at you, but it seems like every five minutes someone is in my face; wanting to examine me, or take pictures or,” she shuddered, “pet me.”

“Ugh,” Ace mirrored her shuddering, taking the seat across from her. “Well, I know what tonight’s nightmare is going to be about.”

“But what’s worse is little kids,” she continued, leaning forward. “I went to help pick up my cousin from preschool yesterday. Worst. Mistake. Ever.”

“…And that’s tomorrow’s,” Ace stated. “Now, before we continue swapping horror stories, I believe introductions are in order.”

“Oh, I didn’t mean to unload on you like that,” she recoiled. Ace waved a hoof.

“It’s alright. There can’t be many people around here who understand what it’s like.”

“Not many Ponies, you mean,” she corrected, half smiling. “I’m Janet Michaels.”

“Ace Benson,” he introduced himself. “And I want to apologize for startling you like that. I’d just never seen a real Pony before.”

“Have you tried looking in the mirror?” Janet quipped.

“Yeah I did,” Ace confirmed, “Freaked me out pretty good.”

“So you changed this morning?” Janet questioned. Ace shook his head.

“No, it was last night,” he clarified. “I passed out around eight o’clock; my friend Brian said he had left the room for ten seconds tops and when he came back in I had changed. You?”

“It was Wednesday,” Janet explained. “I knew something was wrong the moment I set all four feet out of bed.”

“You know, the four legs thing isn’t as weird as I thought it would be,” Ace pointed out.

“Yeah,” Janet agreed. “But I would still like my hands back.”

“I’ll second that,” Ace concurred. “So, know anyone else who’s changed?”

“Gloria’s the only other one I know of,” Janet divulged. “She works at a Taylor’s Tailor’s.”

“Taylor’s Tailor’s?” Ace repeated, disbelieving.

“Yep,” Janet confirmed, “Taylor’s really good at what she does, one of the best. That’s actually where I got this blazer.”

“She made you a pony-fitted, custom jacket in four days?” Ace marveled.

“No, she didn’t make it just for me,” Janet denied. “She has dozens of pieces, all kinds of stuff.”

“Interesting,” Ace mused. “Where is the store, anyway? I could really use something with pockets.”

“It’s not far,” Janet revealed. “You just head straight down this street and turn left onto Third. She’s on the right. There’s a big pony clothing sign in the window, you can’t miss it.”

“Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it,” she waved him off.

“No, I really mean it,” he interrupted. “Thank you for not kicking me out and for the conversation and for, well, just being here. It’s nice to know I’m not alone. I mean, I knew there were others out there but…”

“I know exactly what you mean,” Janet smiled. “I’ll see you later?”

“Definitely,” Ace confirmed, climbing down off the seat. “I’ll swing by on my way back.”

“Well, bye,” she waved.

“Bye,” Ace bid farewell to Janet and set off down the road in search of the elusive tailor’s shop.