• Published 10th Nov 2012
  • 1,454 Views, 13 Comments

My Little Pony: Worlds Collide - The Grimm Reaper



An investigation into the origin of pony kind turns out to be a fruitful one.

  • ...
2
 13
 1,454

Chapter 1: Ancient History

My Little Pony: Worlds Collide

Chapter 1: Ancient History

Year: 1009 A.L (After Luna)

Canterlot was bustling with the news about the expedition. Many of the stores had delved into their trademarks and produced their best quality creations to aid the team in their journey. Bakers had given them all sorts of cakes, half of which had been “taste tested” by Pinkie Pie. The Elements of Harmony, along with their good friend, Spike had arrived earlier that day and were eager to get going. The Guard who had managed to talk his way into the expedition, met up with Spike and they reminisced about that jewel thieving incident. His name was Lucky Charm. Without his armour, a four leaf clover cutie mark was visible on his flank. His mane was a bright sky blue colour with a white streak through it, reminding one of toothpaste. His light grey pelt made him look like quite an odd duck amongst the other ponies.

Twilight had been very eager to get the expedition started. She took the time to converse with her mentor, Princess Celestia. She mentioned her excitement to no end and Celestia listened intently, always patient with her favourite pony’s subject matters, always interested in what she had to say, no matter the subject. Despite her joy at listening to her student ramble on about her supposed predictions regarding what they would find, Luna herself liberated Celestia from the onslaught of conversation.

“Sister, sorry to interrupt, but it’s time to leave.” Twilight squealed with glee at that statement and hugged her mentor rather unprofessionally, quickly jumbling her farewells as she flew past Luna and headed for the meeting place where they would depart for the moon. Luna chuckled at this and went to leave as well.

“Luna, a moment?” Celestia chimed in. Luna paused her stride and turned to look back at her elder sibling.

“Tia?” she made no attempt to hide her slight concern at the abrupt halt. Celestia looked up to the sky, seemingly looking through the roof.

“Twilight is very dear to me. More so than most other of our subjects.” the white mare began. Luna said nothing as she waited for her sister to continue. “Should you find anything that could… potentially endanger her and her friends, I ask that you do your best to get them to safety, Twilight especially. I find myself worrying for her as much as I worry for you. She’s become like a second sister to me, as I’m sure you would agree.” Luna nodded, concurring with her older sister’s interpretation of Twilight’s place in each of their hearts.

“If you wish, sister… I could have her and her friends remain here.” Celestia huffed, slightly amused.

“No. I couldn’t do that to her. She’s already too psyched up. I imagine she would go without your aid if that happened. No, she needs to go. Just make sure she stays safe. Make sure you both do.” Celestia rose from her throne and approached her sister, brushing her neck along Luna’s. Luna reciprocated and closed her eyes, enjoying the loving embrace that was offered her.

“I will, Tia.”

Twilight joined her friends in the middle of the City square. The fountain had been decorated with the symbols for the Elements of Harmony, and the water was a rainbow of colours, each signifying the different elements, in which case were the colours of their coats.

“There you are. We were beginning to think that you’d gotten cold hooves.” Rainbow Dash said, zooming over to her friend. The lavender mare shrugged and joined the tight circle that was being cheered by every pony in the city.

“I got caught up telling Princess Celestia how much I was looking forward to this.” The others shared confident smiles, indicating they shared the same excitement.

“This is going to be awesome. I’ll be the fastest pony on the moon.” Rainbow Dash concluded, giving out a sly chuckle afterward.

“Just don’t go too far. Princess Luna says there isn’t any air on the moon so she’s going to be erecting a barrier that will allow us to breathe. It should span about ten miles, so fly in a circle, Speedy Hooves.” Rainbow Dash rubbed her head sheepishly.

“Yeah, okay. Hey, how long can we last outside the barrier?” Twilight shook her head, ignoring the question.

“Twi, not that I ain’t excited or nuttin’ but what do you expect to find on the moon? I mean, what if they didn’t actually make it and whatever they used to try and get there just… crashed?” Applejack shifted her Stetson as she asked.

“They definitely made it,” Luna piped in as she approached the small group. “The Ancients were masters of bending nature to their will. They used natural elements to shift and shape metal, which I’m sure you all know is difficult to do, especially without magic. Sadly, most of their methods were lost long before Celestia or I ruled.”

“So what happened to what wasn’t lost?” Rarity asked. Luna looked at the fountain and smiled.

“You live in it, you read from it, you eat it. Everything you do is with the aid of what we recovered long ago. Construction of houses, books, cakes and sweets. All of it, everything we do aside from weather control and magic is derived from Ancient methodology.”

“So if we already know all the basics, then why search for more?” Rainbow Dash hovered, waiting for an answer.

“Because compared to the Ancients, we know next to nothing. Consider the mailing system. We still have ponies that deliver them to your front door. Supposedly, it was believed that the Ancients didn’t do that. I don’t know the specifics, but I believe it was something akin to teleportation in an alternate reality.” Twilight gasped.

“They conquered dimensions?” Luna nodded, confirming Twilight’s suspicion.

“Supposedly, yes. But that’s what we’re here to find out. Now, is everypony ready?” Luna, the Elements of Harmony, Spike, Lucky Charms, the archaeologists and an elite team of Guards, carrying camping equipment and what remained of the food that was offered to them, all nodded their confirmations.

“Very well. Let us be off.” The sun set a minute after and as Luna began to raise the moon in all its splendour, Twilight began her teleportation spell. She focused all her concentration on teleporting everypony involved in the expedition to the right place. She looked at the moon, using the large grey spot as a medium for the teleportation. Her horn glowed an almost white light, the outline still as violet as her coat. With a loud bang and a bright flash of light that overshadowed Discord’s, the team was gone. Canterlot’s ponies looked to the moon and some of them swore they saw a tiny glint on the surface where the grey image of Nightmare Moon resided.

Twilight and the others emerged unscathed. The archaeologists’ manes were slightly ruffled, but they seemed fine all the same. Luna erected the barrier immediately, the chill of space almost reaching the ponies as quickly as they reached the moon.

“Fortunately, a thousand years on this rock have allowed me to hone this specific spell to near perfection. The barrier should encompass the moon entirely. It may glow brighter than usual tonight.” Rainbow Dash jumped up with joy, but quickly started squirming as she tried to swim back down to the ground.

“What the?” she exclaimed, holding onto Twilight’s leg for dear life. Twilight experimented with the gravity using her remaining legs.

“It’s so relaxing up here. I feel as light as a feather.” she exclaimed. Pinkie Pie began floating across the area upside down.

“WE COME IN PEACE!!!” she squealed happily.

“I admit, it wasn’t fatigue that had me sprawled on the ground when you six liberated me from my rage, that night. It was the gravity. Equestria was so heavy, I wasn’t used to it. It took me months to learn how to fly again.” Rainbow Dash released Twilight and began to force here wings to propel her forward. But she couldn’t move.

“Aw man!” the blue pegassus crossed her hooves and floated where she was. Luna chuckled and allowed her horn to flash once more. A slight breeze picked up and Rainbow Dash found herself moving of her own accord.

“Try it now, my friend.” Luna called. With a sly smirk, Rainbow Dash was gone in an instant. A full minute later, she was back, but she emerged from the other side.

“Woah, I can’t stop!” she exclaimed, flapping her wings all over the place. Twilight sighed with both amusement and irritation. Dash was caught in her aura and brought to a quick halt.

“Right, now for Pinkie Pie.” The pink pony was flailing happily in the air, performing slow motion ballet movements as she rose and fell with the light gravity.

“This is so super awesome. Twilight, you’ve got to try and jump as high as you can. It’s so much fun.” the pink pony waggled her hooves around all over the place, making it difficult for Twilight to get a good grip on her friend.

“Pinkie… hold still.”

After a minute of troubled and pointless calming, Twilight managed to settle Pinkie down enough for a landing. Luna waited patiently, though her face let escape a look of disappointment at the display.

“We’ll set up camp here.” she ordered. While the soldiers obeyed without question, one of the archaeologists spoke up.

“But, Princess, we’ve not even begun to search for any ruins. We just got here.” he was a caramel coloured Unicorn stallion with a short and straight beard. His safari hat faltered over his horn as he expressed his concern with the princess’ choice.

“I am aware of that, however, some of our team are a little bit too overexcited.” Luna drew her gaze to the Elements of Harmony. Pinkie was oblivious to this, while Rainbow Dash rubbed her head sheepishly and Twilight frowned at her. Luna caught her gaze and softened her own.

“I know you’re eager to begin, Twilight. And I’m exactly the same. However, I have to think of the safety of the team. And if one pony is over enthused, then that could put us all in danger.” The stallion calmed down and retreated back to the small group of archaeologists that had secluded themselves from the rest.

“Huh, not the sociable type, are they?” Lucky Charms asked as he walked up to Spike who was taste-testing the surface of the moon. The young dragon dropped what he was doing and brushed himself off.

“Yeah, it’s like they’re here only for the findings.” he replied.

“Which makes me think that they’re tomb raiders.” Lucky Charms flashed a glance over at the one who had spoken out of turn.

“Aren’t all archaeologists tomb raiders?” Spike let out a chuckle and received a smack from Twilight as she floated one of her jotting pads over at him.

“No, tomb raiders collect artefacts and sell them for bits. Archaeologists collect them for their historical value. Sometimes they don’t collect, but just discover them.”

“Just as we’ll have to do on this expedition.” every pony turned to Luna as she proceeded to set up her sleeping area.

“The Ancients were advanced, this is true, but we can’t assume their nature was similar to our own. For all we know, they could have been monstrous beings and we’re expediting a death trap.” The ponies remained silent, taking the time to reflect on her words.

“Yeah, but surely nothing could still work in those ruins?” Spike piped in. Luna creased her brow in thought.

“I’m afraid I still don’t remember much of what I saw when I travelled the moon, but I do remember the metal. It was all so shiny, as if it were brand new.”

“Ooh, was it a metal house? A metal oven, wall, carriage?” Pinkie began bouncing up and down, the light gravity taking no effect on her as she bounced excitedly on the spot. The group just looked at her in wonder.

“And this, archaeologists, is the eighth wonder of Equestria. Pinkamina Diane Pie.” Twilight said sarcastically as she prepared to set her sleeping area.

The Camp was divided into three sections. One section was devoted to Luna and the Elements of Harmony, with the addition of Spike and Lucky Charms. Another was centred around the four archaeologists who kept between themselves, and the third was for the guards who began singing and dancing around their camp fire like merry foals and fillies.

“Twilight, darling. Perhaps this is a circumstance in which Ancient songs would best suit. You wouldn’t happen to know any per chance?” Rarity batted her eyelashes at Twilight who began considering her historical memory.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t know anything. Princess?” Twilight looked to Luna who tried her best to recollect anything song worthy within the archives.

“I’m sorry, my little ponies. But songs weren’t among the things we recovered. Perhaps we’ll find something at the site.” Rarity sighed with resigned disappointment, but said nothing else on the matter. The camps were silent save for the guards enjoying the moon’s light gravity as they jumped and howled like timber wolves up at the sky.

“Oh, wow.” One of them let out, drawing every pony’s attention to her. She was staring straight up. Following her gaze, the others saw the beauty that captivated her and forced her to halt her wild merrymaking.

“Is that… home?” Fluttershy asked, bringing herself closer to Princess Luna. Luna smiled and nodded.

“I’d forgotten how beautiful the world looks from here. My anger prevented me from truly admiring it during my millennia here. I could see myself riding the moon at night just to watch this, now that I’m free.” The Elements of Harmony gathered around Princess Luna and brought her into a big group hug.

“You won’t be alone. We’ll watch it with you and sleep among the stars.” Luna smiled with a new kind of warmth in her heart as she watched the world turn around slowly through the reflected gleams in her friends’ eyes.