• Published 8th Nov 2012
  • 1,807 Views, 22 Comments

Lyra and Bonbon Take a Trip - ONWARD_Conwardicus



Lyra and Bonbon are sent to earth. There they meet a pegaister that teaches them to be human.

  • ...
2
 22
 1,807

A Walk in the Park

Lyra removed her elbow from in front of her eyes. Things weren’t black anymore. Well, it was dark outside, but was it. Plenty of weird things would come later, but for now the weird thing was the lamp posts in the apparent park she was in. They didn’t flicker, as if the flame inside them was magic. And they were everywhere. Lyra looked at each one like a foreign object. This many magic lamp posts would take a lot of magical energy. How did humans do all of this?

Wait. She was here. Lyra was in the world of humans. She would be able to talk to people. She would use their slang. She would say, “Hey everybody!” She would be able to do anything and everything she had ever wanted to do back in Ponyville.

She recalled those times in the basement of her own house. The times practicing walking on her hind legs. That one time she fell on her back and nearly injured herself. The times she would dip her hooves in paint to carefully make handprints on paper. And sometimes even outside of her house she would sit down on chairs and benches like a human, just to rebel.

Now she no longer had to hide. Her face brightened, her heart raced, her breath became faster. “YES!” She yelled, pumping a fist into the air. Almost nothing could make her happier at this moment.

One of those almosts happened at that moment. She had just pumped a closed fist into the air. And a fist meant something other than a hoof. A fist meant that she had

“HANDS!” She yelled again, raising said appendage to eye level. She marveled at them, looking at the digits as if each individual one was Celestia’s horn on her own head.

She tried moving one. She tried the pinky first. That turned out to be the muscle for the thumb. She tried moving her thumb. This she was successful at. Her toes curled into the grass beneath her feet, grabbing earth and squashing it between.

Lyra realized what she was feeling. “Do I dare look down?” She hypothetically asked herself. She tilted her head towards the ground, eyes scanning for the mythical limb. “I have feet!” She exclaimed. “And whatever these things are!” She said, still looking down. She noticed the lyre on where she knew to be the human flank was still there. She touched it, feeling soft skin where she was used to coarse hair. She giggled, as it tickled her a bit.

She heard sobbing behind her. She turned around with ease, her feet giving her more support than her hooves ever possibly could have on two legs. She took easy steps towards the cries. Behind a bush, another human was in a fetal position and crying on the ground. Their hair looked strangely familiar. It looked a lot like

“Bonbon!” Lyra called to her friend. “Guess what? We’re human! We get to walk on to legs! We get to use hand gestures! We can even-“

“Be quiet Lyra.” Bonbon snapped.

Lyra was taken aback. Tears were being forced back in gasps by her best friend, and here Lyra was smiling and enjoying her first moments as a human. They obviously had two very different views on this strange turn of events.

“Bonbon, come on, there isn’t anything to be sad about. Think about it as collecting more data for Twilight. Or you could see it as being more immersed in the culture.”

“It’s not that.” Bonbon staggered. “It’s that- that I can’t walk.”

“What do you mean you can’t walk?” Lyra said, as if such a thing was equestrianly impossible.

“I keep falling forward Lyra.” She growled, sadness being replaced with anger. “I’m not used to walking on two legs.”

“Well, let me help you then.” Lyra said, walking over to her and grabbing her hand and helping her up. Her skin felt soft, a lot like

“The trick is to keep your center of balance at your bellybutton.” Lyra said, steadying her friend with her other hand. She led Bonbon to a nearby birch tree, Bonbon half standing up and half crawling on the way there. “Try to walk around the tree. Just keep a hand on it to steady yourself.”

Bonbon looked quizzically at Lyra, shaking to keep her balance. Lyra rolled her eyes and showed Bonbon her palms. “These are hands.” Lyra informed. “We use them to pick things up. Well, it’s not the hands themselves most of the time but the fingers sticking out of them.”

Bonbon nodded, unconvinced. She put her left fist on the tree and stood up shakily, as if an earthquake were happening. Walking around the tree counter clockwise, she started to get the hang of it. Left, right, left, right. The soil soft beneath her feet made a cushion, like a pillow. Meanwhile, Lyra was figuring out the muscles to her fingers, testing each one individually and grabbing the grass, letting the green blades flow out of her fingers.

Bonbon was now walking from tree to tree, still a bit wobbly but standing nonetheless. Lyra had begun rubbing her arms with her hands. She wasn't walking around like Bonbon, and it had become quite chilly out.

Bonbon stopped at a tree next to Lyra after some minutes. “I think I got it now.” She claimed. “We should go find some humans now. I’m sure we've already wasted more than our share of the day we’re here.”

Lyra remembered the chalk circle she had drawn for twilight. She remembered the runes that stood for day. She also remembered not writing down that rune. She scratched her head sheepishly and began to explain to Bonbon. “About that. I think we might need to get more acquainted with the humans.”

“That’s what I was saying.” Bonbon said, walking away. She stiffened herself halfway to one of the lamp posts, turning slowly in place. A stern look had replaced her normally soft face. She glared at Lyra. “What did you do?” she questioned.

“Well, you know how we are supposed to be here for a day?” Lyra murmured. “I sort of set it for us to be here for a year.”

Bonbon didn’t react. Mainly because her body was now on the ground, limp from shock.

Lyra ran over to her friend. She shook her by the shoulders, whereupon a mighty SLAP went across Lyra’s face. “Do you ever think when you do something?” Bonbon screamed. “Did you think of how this might affect me? We’re going to be stuck like this for a year, and the first thing that you think about is how you finally have hands!”

Lyra winced at the sting of her words. She hadn’t been thinking of her friend when she did this. She had been acting selfish. It would take a long time for Bonbon to get over this, if ever.

Luckily for them both, they had a whole year to sort it out.