• Published 15th Nov 2012
  • 1,490 Views, 23 Comments

He Who Loves Nightmares - xCrossx



Dage, Luna's only lover. He has waited for her return, but will Celestia foil his plans?

  • ...
2
 23
 1,490

The Return

Around me are ponies eagerly awaiting for Celestia to step out onto the balcony and bring up the sun. Me, I wait for the disappointment, then the sudden return of the long-forgotten Nightmare Moon. A thousand years, and it all comes down to now.

The two guards on the interior balcony pull back the curtain to reveal... nothing. Everypony gasps and starts to murmur to one another while the guards glance back before resuming their usual stance. I wait longer, patience remaining with only minutes away. A starry mist slips into the town hall and forms into the Princess of the Night, her armor glimmering in the moonlight. The crowd gasps again. I leap up onto the balcony, buck the closer guard off while shooting a blue fireball at the other one, which explodes and sends him flying. I spin to face the gaping crowd.

" 'On the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in Nightmare Moon's escape and she will bring nighttime eternal!' The prophecy has come to pass! You have all witnessed! Now, begone!" They flee in terror as they hear the name and my deep, twisted voice.

Once they are cleared out, I spin to face Nightmare Moon. "Are you trying to upstage me?!" she demands in an evil-yet-majestic voice, glaring at me.

"I am running this show," I answer. She raises her eyebrows and I curther off from responding. "I spoke those words with Celestia as my witness, creating the prophecy myself. Since then, I have learned much. Yesterday, I ensured nobody could get in our way."

"You couldn't have cre-"

"I am 1,024-years-old. My meddling have granted unusually long life. Now, come; I have the feeling that Twilight, Element of Magic, will ruin my traps. I must ensure that they don't do anything stupid when they see the Elements are useless to them." With that, I brush past her, now realizing its going to be a lot harder to bring Luna back than I had originally thought.