• Published 4th Jan 2012
  • 820 Views, 12 Comments

The Life and Times of Veridian Emerald (LTV) - ColgateVeridian



A biography of Veridian Emerald and his struggles with liberating Stalliongrad.

  • ...
2
 12
 820

LTV 1.4 The Underground Resistance

LTV 1.4 “The Underground Resistance”

Crimson, with Veridian on his back and Heartsong to his side, fled from the ambush site towards the Resistance’s home base. Taking a few detours in attempt to shake off any Soviet spies that may be following, they stopped in a back alley to catch their breath. Through faint, gasping breaths, Crimson offered to magically heal Heartsong’s leg. But, she knew he didn’t have the energy to do such an operation, so she declined the offer and told him to keep running.

Together, they took off directly towards the base. Because they all looked relatively the same, Crimson would’ve never been able to tell which house was hiding the entrance if it weren’t for the symbol of the Resistance crudely scratched into the wooden door. The symbol is made of a circle in the middle surrounded by four, thin triangles, resembling a sun. Quickly scanning the area one last time, they stepped up to the door and rapidly knocked until somepony answered.

The mare who answered the door began to challenge them, but Crimson cut her off and said, “There’s no time for proper procedures, we are members of the Resistance and must speak to the Queen immediately.” The guard hesitated, but saw their uniforms and decided to trust them and stepped out of the way. Crimson stepped inside with Heartsong still using him for a crutch. The door was quietly shut behind them and they were greeted by two, hooded unicorns. The two led Crimson and Heartsong to the back corner of the house, where they revealed a hidden trap-door from under a rug. There wasn’t enough space for the both of them to go in together, so Crimson reluctantly shrugged Heartsong off his back. She shifted her weight onto the unicorn mare that led them to the hidden entrance.

The stairs themselves were old, wooden, and badly in need of a repair, they squeaked at every step Crimson took. The walls of the secret tunnel were made of crudely cemented brick with a torch holder at regular intervals. Surprisingly, the tunnel was warm, not cold, from the hot air that was trapped inside from the torch fires. When he reached the end, he stepped out into a massive, underground ‘world’, swarming with activity. Tunnels, caves, and rooms had been carved into the ground-walls. Veridian peeked out from under his specially fitted hood and looked around at his surroundings. This underground world was made from many generations of Resistance families, dating back about fifteen-hundred years. Stalactites had formed in the older portions of the carved out areas. The cave was lit up with multicolored lanterns, ranging from all colors of the spectrum, which were crafted from the unicorns’ magic. Large banners bearing the symbol of the Resistance hung from the ‘roof’.

Crimson turned around to watch Heartsong limp her way down the stairs. About half way down, she stumbled, and Crimson tensed up, prepared to catch her fall, but she recovered and made her way down without incident. The trap-door was shut over them, and they could hear the rug being slid back over the entrance. “Heartsong, you know the way to the Queen’s quarters, correct?” asked Crimson. Returning to his side, she answered, “Yes I do, this way." Crimson followed her directions through numerous passageways and tunnels; receiving many strange looks from ponies they passed by. They were all curious to see the colt, for rarely was a child born within the Resistance.

Crimson was eventually led to a massive building that was carved from pre-existing rock, still attached to the ground. The building was covered with a spectrum of floating, colored lights, and was guarded by two rows of eight royal guards. The royal guards did not wear the traditional robe, but instead had iron plate-armor. They also bared spiked horse-shoes and an intimidating, single-spiked helmet. The horn on the helmet resembled that of a unicorn’s, except that it was metal, sharper, and twice as long. All of the royal guards were earth ponies. They recognized Heartsong and saw that she was in trouble, so without hesitation, they parted and let Crimson pass.

Together, they walked up the steps to the entrance of the ‘palace’, and stepped inside to see even more royal guards surrounding a rather large, violet, female alicorn. This was the ‘Queen’. (The Queen herself was not truly a Queen. She is actually a sister of the other, royal alicorns; Celestia and Luna. Her name was Sola, Princess Sola). She heard the two ponies clopping on the stone floor and turned around to see who had entered. She wore a modestly small, golden tiara with the Resistance’s symbol in the center.

Crimson bowed on his front knees, and Heartsong ducked her head as best she could, waiting for Princess Sola to acknowledge them. She quickly let them up and asked, “Heartsong, you are hurt. Why have you come to me instead of going to the medical quarter?” She replied, “I had to lead my mate to you, your Highness. He has urgent news.” Sola raised her brow in interest, “Very well, guards escort Heartsong to the medics, and you, Crimson right? You stay here.” Two metal-clad royal guards took Heartsong from Crimson and led her out of the room, leaving Crimson alone with the Princess and Veridian.

Princess Sola turned her attention to Crimson, who was visibly shaking from nervousness. She tried to calm him with a caring, but still powerful, voice (much like that of her sister Celestia), “Easy now comrade, tell me, what has brought you to me so urgently?” Crimson attempted to pull himself together and answered, “Th..There’s two pieces of information I must speak to you about. First off, Captain Trotski requires reinforcements at the secret breach in the city wall. We were ambushed by a squad of Soviets that were armed to capture.” Crimson took in a deep breath before continuing, “You will be glad to know we killed off as many as we could without any casualties. Unfortunately, a few of them escaped and are undoubtedly gathering reinforcements just as I am right now.”

Princess Sola immediately conjured up a scroll and quill. Quickly scrawling a note, she then magically sent it away. “I am ordering Commander Stormhoof to meet you outside the base with a herd of warriors. You will brief them and lead them to the battlefield. This is a rare occurrence, having a victory, and we shall not let this one pass.” Sola then motioned toward Veridian with her hoof, “News of your little alicorn can wait, and you will leave him here with me.” Crimson was astonished, ‘How did she know about Veridian? And she wants me to leave him?!’ He really started to contemplate whether he should obey the Princess’ wishes or not, but ultimately decided to trust her with his child. Obviously struggling with his decision, he slowly unstrapped the saddle holding Veridian. He then slid him off his back, and looking down, handed him over to Sola, who gently levitated him out of the saddle and onto a large pillow behind her. “Crimson, you have my word that nothing will happen to him. I am holding him here so that you do not have to take him back into the battle.”

This calmed Crimson and he asked, “What of Heartsong? And when will you have me go?” Sola answered, “Heartsong is being tended by our unicorn medics, she will be fine. In fact, I will have your little alicorn returned to her before you return. And as for the time you will leave: Now.”