• Published 11th Nov 2012
  • 2,709 Views, 173 Comments

CiF: Blowing Through the Pages - Chaotic Note



A Pegasus and his friends gets pulled into a war going on in the background of Equestria and Magistrum, and must defeat a diabolical cult bent on reviving Equestria's old foes.

  • ...
13
 173
 2,709

Chapter 4: A New Day and Dreams

:Kenta Silvercast:

“Alright. Here’s your dorm room, Kenta.”

The door swung wide open as Sabrina twisted the doorknob with her magic, revealing a very plain, boring room inside. The number of beds and desks inside were clearly meant to accommodate two ponies, and have a simplistic appearance to them. The luggage full of his belongings was on one of the beds, ready to be unpacked. On one of the nightstands was a floating blue crystal, emitting a nice soft glow around it. Other than the obviously magical object, the room was like a blank canvas, ready to be painted by various personal possessions.

The yellow unicorn pointed her hoof over the room, pointing out the few things that occupied its spaces. “You can choose any bed you would like. Until somepony else comes along, you get to have all this to yourself. Bathroom is over there… and that’s pretty much it. You can decorate this place in any way that you want as long as it is school appropriate.” With that done, she turned around and started to walk away.

“Wait.” Kenta reached for her shoulder, but pulled it back at the last second. It was probably a bad move. Sabrina, not noticing he reeled back his hoof, turned around with a questioning look. “What if I need anything else? Like if I need help or anything?”

“If that is the case, then refer to the crystal you see there. It’s a multi-purpose tool that all students have, one of them includes a phone. Tapping on it should do the trick.

“Wait, a multi-purpose tool?” Kenta stared right into the crystal, trying to identify what invisible contents it hides from him. It showed nothing but his reflection like a mirror would.

“Just experiment with it and find. Anything more questions you would like to ask?” Sabrina asked. However, she didn’t look like she wanted to stay here much longer.

Seeing that she was a busy mare, Kenta gave her a nervous smile and responded, “Nah, I’m fine. Thank you anyway.”

Sabrina gave him a brief nod before turning back towards the hallway. “You’ve been through a lot today, and you have a big day tomorrow. I believe it would be wise for you to get some rest until then.”

Kenta silently nodded, agreeing with her. And just like that, Sabrina left the room and into the hallway, going to take care of whatever business she had.

Kenta, before he went back into his room, took one last look at her. He wanted to remember what she looked like, so that he won’t make the mistake of not recognizing her in the future. She didn’t seem to be the forgiving type of mare. It wasn’t the yellow coat or blue mane that he wanted to keep in his mind, but rather the air of command that she wielded. Even from a distance he could feel her authority reaching out everywhere. He knew that if she just enters a room full of ponies, she would have everypony’s eyes on her. She just seemed that noticeable.

When Sabrina turned around the corner, he noticed on her flank was a golden staff cutie mark surrounded by a couple stars. The staff had a royal, angelic look to it, as if it was made for a mighty healer or a powerful queen. He didn’t get to know her that much yet, but Kenta quietly thought to himself how her personality and the cutie mark matched together in harmony.

I wonder what she does here. Is she a senior or something, Kenta wondered. His exhausted body then compelled him to yawn. I suppose I’ll figure it out later. I feel a bit tired.

Kenta decided to make the right side of the room his own and quickly sorted out his belongings into the drawers and on the desk. As he was closer to the bottom of the suitcase, a panel of glass that was buried underneath the clothes was revealed, successfully catching his attention with its small shine. He dug it out and took a good look at it to see it was a family photo of him with his parents; when mother was still alive, well, and happy.

In the picture, his father had a hoof on top of Kenta’s white mane, tousling it up into a little mess. Kenta chuckled as he remembered that day. Before the picture was taken, Kenta had said that he wasn’t happy with being little. His dad just laughed and flashed a white smile that contemplated with his black coat and silvery mane. His father always said that Kenta grow up to be big and strong one day. Seeing how today worked out, it looked like his father’s predictions were correct.

His mother, a cloud-white mare with a yellow mane as bright as the sun, just smiled on as she waited for the picture to be taken. She always enjoyed watching the two males in her life making their familiar bonds stronger together. After the picture was taken, Kenta remembered how her soft cheeks nuzzled against his own and told him they could go get some ice cream to make him feel better. Knocked out of his negative mood, he happily agreed. Kenta looked at her mother’s golden eyes and remember how his dad would always comment how he inherited the best features from the both of them: his mane color from his father, his eyes from his mother, and how the color of his coat was the combination from both of theirs.

Kenta continued his trip down memory lane until he noticed the sun outside the window was setting down to the horizon, painting it in an orange hue. He had been standing there for so long, that he didn’t even have time to unpack all his things! He looked down at the photo frame and saw that there were drops of clear liquid dotted across it. Were those his tears?

He propped the picture onto the nightstand next to his bed, and then rubbed his eyes to check for any remaining eye water. Sure enough, some or most of them got the coat on his arm wet with their saltiness. Kenta also started to notice the painful heart ache that was dealt to his chest. He really missed his parents a whole lot more than he thought. Even his body was feeling physical pain when he remembered them.

Reminding himself why he accepted to come to the academy in the first place, he strengthened his resolve to find out where his father had disappeared to and rescue him from whatever danger he was in. Kenta was sure his mother would want him to do that.

Kenta finished unpacking his stuff, and placed the now-empty suitcase next to the foot of the bed. With that out of the way, he could finally get some rest for the next morning. Like Sabrina said earlier, he probably had a lot to do tomorrow.


Kenta opened his eyes to meet with an ice-cold sight. He appeared to be on top of the summit of a nameless mountain, in the middle of nowhere. He looked around him and saw nothing worthy of notice due to the whirling snow storm around him. It was like being inside of a blender, except with snow inside it. The chilling ground below Kenta was biting at his warm hooves, threatening to freeze him into colt bits. A furious, frosty blast of air smacked Kenta across the face like it was angry, and that it didn’t want him to be there.

How did he get here in this bleak, cold place? One minute he was asleep in his dorm room, and the next thing he knew he was whisked away to this horrible place without permission. Was this a dream? It certainly didn’t feel like that to Kenta. The life-sapping temperature felt all too real to him, and it was putting his bones on the high-level of shivering. His legs were fiercely shivering, desperately trying to keep Kenta’s body warm and going. If he stayed here any longer, he’ll die.

Looking around once more, he knew that flying in the wind would spell trouble. The storm was about an eight on the Beaufort scale, meaning that he would get thrown around in flight. He could attempt to quickly dig a shelter in the snow, but he doesn’t have any clothing or fire starters to keep him warm. That only left one option: walking. Even though standing was difficult enough, walking was his only other alternative. With determination melded in his will, Kenta trudged forward in snow, going against the strong gales pushing him. Every once in a while, the winds would push him to the side, causing him to stumble, but he didn’t let that bother him and kept on going. With every step he took, the winds were becoming even more brutal, as if they wanted to impede his progress.

“Hello?” Kenta shouted at the top of his lungs, hoping to find help. “Is anypony out there?”

Not a single response came back to him, only the angry howl of the wind was there to taunt him. The tip of Kenta’s grey ears were bitten by ice, heavily suggesting his freezing demise was coming soon. His heartbeat dangerously slowed down, and his body was moving slower with each passing second. He wanted to accept the fact that this was a dream, but the feeling of death felt all too real for him to not believe it. Was he going to die here?

Suddenly, Kenta felt his hoof hit something and he tripped over it, crashing onto the icy blanket of snow. His usually warm breath was slowly matching the temperature around him, and the windy gales were sounding like music to him; a song of despair and gloom. His eyelids lowered, threatening to put its owner into an eternal sleep.

Kenta struggled to keep them open, not willing to give up. His resolve to live was steeled, and his end can’t be here. Not when his father was still out there, alone and in trouble. He can’t… he can’t die here. But no matter how much Kenta thought about it, no matter how hard he wished to keep walking, the cold was eating him alive. He can’t stay awake much longer. His eyes were near the closing point, and his body stopped shivering.

Before Kenta’s eyes could close, however, something large moved within the corner of his vision. Was it the wolves? It looked to pale to be a wolf though. At best, he could tell that it was actually translucent, and had no sign of fur on it. Was it the trick his mind was playing on him? Before he could say anything, his eyes closed to sleep. A loud whinny with the might of a cold storm boomed across the sky like war drums, further lulling his body to rest.


The grey pegasus gasped sharply as he woke up, and his heartbeat was thumping wildly. He felt his forehead and found it to be utterly sweaty and hot. The dream he had disturbed him quite a bit. He would be lying to himself if he didn’t admit that it didn’t strike a tang of terror in his heart. Honestly, it was the closest he ever felt to dying. But was that really a dream? It felt truly real to him, that he doubted it never happened. Or maybe he was just having a really bad nightmare. Yeah, that must had been it.

Feeling a tad bit too warm, Kenta threw the thick covers off of him and got out of the bed. Looking at his nightstand, he found a white envelope that wasn’t there last night.

Huh? I don’t remember leaving this here. Kenta opened up the envelope, revealing the two letters inside it. He started reading the actual letter part of the duo.

Dear Kenta Silvercast,

I’ve noticed that you didn’t have any of the required school supplies among your belongings. With the Council’s funds (along with their approval), I’ve bought the necessary tools that you will need along the course of your education here. Somepony will come by your room to deliver the supplies to you shortly after I send this letter to you. Make sure to make yourself familiar with all the items in the box as they would become your best assets in the school year. Also, I’ve included a list of your schedule for this week. Until we can sort out which classes you want to take, you’ll be going to these courses for the next seven days.

With the best of considerations,

Sabrina

As if by miraculous timing, a couple knock on his door was sounded, probably announcing the arrival of his supplies. Stretching out the sore muscles he still had from yesterday’s tussle with the Herbthorn brothers, he walked towards the door and opened it. Beyond the door was a unicorn levitating a huge package.

“Are you Kenta Silvercast?” she asked, her face was betraying no emotions. She clearly wasn’t impressed of him.

“I’m him.”

“Here’s your package.” The mare laid down the package and walked away without another word.

Kenta looked down at the package, the back up at the mare. “Wait, that’s it?”

The mare looked back at him. “Yes.”

“You’re not going to say anything else?” Kenta asked, a bit sad that this mare didn’t seem to want to have anything to do with him. “Not even a good bye?”

“Would you like me to say ‘good bye’ to you?”

“Um… maybe?”

“Okay… have a good day.” She then left without another glance at him, leaving him once more by his lonesome.

Kenta – after looking at the mare in bewilderment – dragged the package near him, bringing the box inside the room. The thing was really huge and heavy. He could have sworn this thing was full of bricks! Were there really school supplies in this box, or was Sabrina playing a cold prank on him? She didn’t seem like to the type to do so, but she did seem rather bitter yesterday. Maybe she was just usually like that, and was perhaps not used to having a pegasus around a school primarily for unicorns.

After dragging the box halfway into the room, Kenta plopped his butt on the floor and hugged the box closer to him. The package had masking tape sealed it up, so it would be pretty difficult to open it with his bare hooves alone. Luckily, Kenta had a letter opener brought with him for when Lily starts sending letters to him.

He searched around his room and came back to the box quickly with the opener in hoof, now fully prepared to unleash whatever was inside the darn thing. With a precise cut, he opened up the box to reveal a variety of times.

There were the normal stuff like notebooks, a set of pens and pencils, and folders, but there were also the strange and mystical supplies that came with it. All of them were very weird in their own way, like the glowing green orb thing that Kenta now held in his hooves. Exploring the surface with his hooves, he could easily tell that it was made of glass, and was probably very breakable. He pressed his ear against it, wondering if it emitted any sort of sounds, but nothing came to him. Only silence was being unleashed from the ball and its pulsating light.

What was this thing supposed to be used for exactly? Was it a ball that allowed him to look into the far past, or peer into the distant and near future? Was it something that could boost a unicorn’s magic by multiple folds? Or was this thing some sort of portable hologram projectors?

Only one way to find out. Kenta tapped on the ball, hoping it would reveal its powers that way.

The ball only responded by hitting him in the face.

“Ow!” Kenta winced. “That hurt!” He rubbed the space between his eyes where the ball hit. “What was that for?!” he demanded from the ball, wanting to know it had performed the dirty deed.

The ball just laid there on the floor, still glowing all green and stupid.

Frustrated with the ball, Kenta ignored it in order to focus on the other seemingly dangerous objects in the box for the time being. In the box, there was what seemed to be a potion set, humongous textbooks with glowing titles and symbols, stones with painted runes on them, and a wooden, polished stick. Kenta picked up the stick and paid attention to its ornate surface. From what he could gather from its half-a-hoof length and carved symbols on it, he could tell that it was a wand of sorts.

He remembered Chaotic talking about wands before, how they could help unicorn foals practice their magic if using their horns directly was a bit too difficult for them. While it wasn’t really shameful to use them, his friend insisted that it would be a bit embarrassing to use a tool meant for little foals. Ironically, Kenta – who can be considered to be a fully grown pegasus at his age – was now holding one of these beginner tools in his hooves.

This was unbecoming of him, and a bit depressing to say at least. Did someone in the school really think Kenta shouldn’t be here if they were giving him this? Did they really think it was hilarious to give him a tool meant for unicorn fillies and colts to use? Or maybe they thought that since Kenta wasn’t a unicorn, then maybe giving him a wand might possibly help him use magic; the type of magic that Kenta would probably never achieve at all in the first place.

All of this thinking wasn’t helping Kenta boost his self esteem, and at this point, he wasn’t too sure if looking inside his box again would be a good idea. It seemed that this box was doing nothing but giving him a bad time. Everything in that box reminded him that this was probably a stupid idea to come here in the first place. Sure, finding his dad was very important, but was it worth to be reminded that he was the only pegasus born in his unicorn family.

Yes, Kenta huffed, strongly reminding himself why he was here in this magic school in the first place. This is all completely worth it.

Heaving a heavy sigh, Kenta looked back inside the box, now cautious of anything that looks like it would punch him in the face. However, there wasn’t really anything else that was worthy of attention. Aside from all the books, all that was left a blue cloth knapsack.

Why would the school give him this? The knapsack didn’t look big enough to carry anymore than a couple textbooks. Maybe it was for holding something else? He lifted the bag by the string and judged its weight. It didn’t seem to be holding anything. He opened the sack to see if it actually did hold anything, guessing that it was probably a magical item. However, his theory failed him when his observation reported nothing but a dull emptiness inside the bag. It really didn’t look like anything special.

Make sure to make yourself familiar with all the items in the box as they would become your best assets in the school year.

Kenta stared into the space of the sack. If Sabrina really wasn’t lying to him, then there was definitely something up with this bag. He didn’t know why, but every single nerve in his body was telling him that something about this bag was enchanted. It was probably his lack of breakfast, but he could feel that there was more than meets the eye to this little knapsack.

Testing its capabilities, he stuffed in one of the tomes from the box into the bag. It slid in quite nice and comfy. He slid another in, and another, and another. On the fifth book in his hooves, a realization slowly grew in his mind. Despite his continuous attempt to stuff the bag to its limit, it didn’t seem to be getting any larger, nor was it feeling any heavier at all!

He patted around the outside of the bag to make sure if the books were in there. Sure enough, he felt the hard covers of the books as he knocked on the bag’s sides. Looking back inside, he could see all four of the three-inch thick books pressed neatly against each other, which was pretty cool to Kenta! What’s even more amazing is that there seemed to be even more space inside to store stuff in!

“Best. Backpack. Ever!” Kenta laughed, delighted to have such a prize!

If he had this knapsack during his high school years, then he wouldn’t have to worry about all the stacks of homework that kept overflowing in his old backpack! The mountain of books and assignments that made a home in his previous backpack usually caused him more than a few backaches when he carried them. To him, his entire life in high school was the most grueling workout plan ever of all time.

Not wanting to stop his fun, he continued to fill the magical bag with all the supplies the box had to offer until there was none left. Despite the entirety of the box’s contents was stored inside the bag, the knapsack still kept its moderately nice rounded figure as well as its weight. It felt as if Kenta was just carrying stuffed plush dolls instead of rock-heavy books.

Swinging the bag over his back, he now turned his attention towards the paper that held his schedule, ready to begin the main part of his day. Looking over the time, he saw that his first class was with Professor Lightkin for Illusions and Fabrications.

That was the teacher who intervened yesterday, right? Kenta remembered. Looks like I’ll be seeing him again. I’ll have to make sure to say thank you to him soon. I probably would had been a goner if the fight was still going. Markus really looked like he was going to rip my throat out! The pegasus gulped. He was still feeling the jitters from yesterday. Let see here. First class starts at 7:00 AM… what time is it now?

He looked at the blue crystal Sabrina pointed out last night, knowing it held the truth of time within its sparkling structure. After all, she did say it was a multi-purpose tool. A clock was probably one of them. Problem was though that Kenta had no idea how to use it. Experimenting once more, Kenta tapped on the tip of it to see what would happen. Luckily, the crystal responded and magically projected out a bunch of floating symbols. One of them was clock-shaped. Wanting to waste no time at all, he pressed on it to check the time. The clock symbol transformed into a set of numbers with a colon symbol cutting between them, revealing what the true time was currently now. It was ten minutes past seven in the morning.

“Oh Gaia damn it!” Kenta cursed out loudly.

Author's Note:

Hope you like this new chapter!

*IMPORTANT*
This chapter isn't edited yet, so if you see any mistakes, report them to ShadowlessNight instead of here in the comments. This story has an editor, so it's important that he receives these messages and not me. This applies to all chapters now and in the future Thank you for your consideration.

PS: Don't bother posting the mistakes the comments for trolling purposes. While your intentions might be pure or not, feedback on the grammar doesn't exactly tell me how good I'm doing well with the story in terms of plot and pacing.