• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 3,494 Views, 131 Comments

Valor is Magic - NotSoSubtle



Twilight, Princess Luna, and others relate their experiences during the Great Griffin Invasion with the hope that Equestria may benefit from the lessons they've learned.

  • ...
6
 131
 3,494

Chapter 10: (Un)acceptable Losses

(Un)acceptable Losses

Vedette took a sip from his glass. “Go on. Open it.”

“I couldn’t, really,” Twilight hedged. “Besides, it’s not even a holiday.”

“It makes perfect sense for the occasion, but if I explain it will ruin the surprise. Trust me.”

Twilight frowned. They had been enjoying a bit of breakfast since Vedette had returned, until he had dropped a wrapped package on the table in front of her and insisted it was her gift. Adorned with glossy yellow paper and a simple red ribbon, the bow had been tied in a way that Twilight had never even read about before. The loops loosely resembled the star that was Twilight’s cutie mark. There were even five stickers arranged in the proper places, marking the present as being made for her in a way no label could ever demonstrate. “Where did you even get wrapping paper? The party shops in Canterlot must have been closed.”

“I keep some in my office at the castle. Just in case.”

Twilight raised a teasing eyebrow. “Just in case of what? I can’t imagine surprise birthday parties are all that common amongst officers.”

Vedette’s cheeks took on the slightest hint of red. She hadn’t known the officer that long, but she had the feeling it was a pretty unusual occurrence. “Giving gifts is my special talent.” Twilight glanced to his flank, and sure enough it had a mark of three presents in a stack like you might see on Hearths Warming Eve. It made sense, though: Twilight had been trying to find ways to keep Spike busy all morning, and the first thing Vedette had done when he returned was offer the dragon a small box full of gems from Canterlot. He had been snacking on them upstairs ever since. “Please, just trust me and open it. You’ll understand when you do.”

She sighed with a smile. “Well, I guess if it’s what your cutie mark is telling you, then alright.”

He smiled. Twilight carefully collected a knife, cutting the ribbon where it crossed at the bottom of the package so that she wouldn’t disturb the knot. Vetette waited patiently as she unwrapped her gift.

It was a book. She was well known for being an avid—no, obsessive—reader in both Ponyville and Canterlot. Considering how much the intelligence officer had known about her other friends, it made sense that he’d have known that too. She flipped it over to read the binding.

Fleet Tactics: Theory and Practice? What is this?”

Vedette put down his cup. “You’ve been introduced to a new world, the military one, literally overnight. Things are going to move quickly. Someday, we might have time for me to conduct some classes for you so that you’d have a full and proper understanding of military affairs, even if you can’t conduct them yourself.” He sighed. “For now, I think we both know you need a crash course, and I’ve been told you’re a fast reader and a good student. I thought about which single book would best introduce you to a military mindset and vocabulary. This one will do that.”

“But this sounds like a navy book. It looks like this whole war will be fought inland.”

He nodded. “Very true, but the author does a great job illustrating the differences between the two. In fact, what makes this text special is not that it lists formations or battle outcomes. It breaks down tactical thinking as applied to naval combat, using land conflict as a backdrop. It’s a book on tactical theory, first and foremost. It just uses ship combat as the base model.”

Twilight smiled a bit, flipping through the first few pages. She’d have to take his word for it, but based on his description it was exactly what she had been looking for not a few hours ago. She stopped when she saw a block of handwritten text on an otherwise blank page. “‘To Culver Cadet, on the day of his graduation.’” There was a personal note and a date. “What’s this?”

“It’s my son’s book.” He smiled again, this time a strong twinkle in his eye. “I had hoped he’d want to be an officer, but he enlisted instead. It’s been at our house since he moved out.”

“No no.” Twilight had to suppress an urge to drop the book, instead setting it down gently and sliding it back toward the major. “I can’t accept this. It’s a keepsake, and part of your family. It wouldn’t be appropriate.”

Vedette was quiet for a moment. When he spoke, his voice was calm and even. “I won’t say that I wouldn’t have preferred to give you another copy. There wasn’t time to find one, and I made my choice. It is given, and you need it.” His smile returned, but he shrugged and looked away. “Besides, Cadet never showed much interest in theories. I don’t think he ever finished reading it.”

Twilight bit her lip. “I still don’t think it’s right.”

“I’d agree that it isn’t ideal. Unless…hm.” He turned back to the unicorn with a spark in his eye that betrayed a sudden inspiration. “What if instead of a gift, you thought of it as a donation?”

“A donation to what?”

He laughed. “We are in a library! And this must be an awfully sad book. I don’t think this copy has ever been read cover to cover. It’d be a shame to let it collect dust.”

She joined with him in his laughter. “Alright, you win. Just don’t ever tell Pinkie you used that.” While Vedette finished the rest of his plate, Twilight flipped through the book, and was thrilled to discover it had an extensive glossary. She was trying to discern the difference between tactics and strategy when she thought she heard the stallion mumble something. “What was that?”

Vedette turned to her with a questioning look, still chewing.

“Major, did you say something?”

Vedette blinked and swallowed. “No. My mouth was full.”

“Huh.” Twilight was sure she had heard somepony. Maybe there was a grain of truth to that study associating caffeine consumption with auditory hallucinations.

’Twilight Sparkle. Respond, please,’ came a quiet, familiar voice, but not one she heard with her ears. Then she understood. Considering how far she had come from Canterlot, Twilight had expected Petronel to sound distant. He didn’t. The sending’s clarity was still impeccable, even at this range. She heard him as clearly as if he had been sitting right next to her. This spell didn’t just work at over longer distances; it seemed unimpeded by range, and it was beautiful.

“Oh! It’s Petronel’s sending spell,” she told the major, suppressing a titter as she stood. “I should have thought of that. You’ll have to finish breakfast without me. I have to talk with my friend.”

Vedette blinked once at the last part. “Really?”

“Of course. After all, there was a time when I didn’t want any friends, too.” Twilight blushed. “I’ll be upstairs if anypony needs me.”

She started to turn when the major stood, his warm demeanor giving way to a mask of caution. “Twilight, wait.”

“Yes?”

He took a deep breath. “Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For reaching out to him.” He looked like he wanted to say more but whatever it was he held back. Petronel sent her another message before she could ask him about it. She needed to respond before it gave her a headache.

“Um, you’re welcome,” Twilight tried, not really understanding the nature of his thanks. “We can talk about this later. I’ll be back down in a bit. Bye!” She smiled awkwardly as she headed upstairs.

‘Twilight Sparkle.’’ Petronel’s voice came again via spell as she reached the top of the stairs. There was enough energy behind the message to trigger something akin to audio feedback, and she flinched. It didn’t really hurt so much as it unsettled her like broken chalk on a chalkboard. ‘I am certain you can hear me by now. It is imperative that I speak with you.’

‘I hear you,’ Twilight replied with a bit of will. ‘You are coming in a bit loud, Director.’ After two or three exchanges of commenting on signal strength, they found equilibrium that was easy on both of them.

Petronel seemed annoyed. ‘Why did you take so long to reply if you were aware of my sendings?’

‘I was with company and didn’t want to split my attention. It took me a minute to excuse myself. Besides, I still haven’t explained the spell to Spike yet.’

The reply came a bit slower this time, but seemed mollified by her explanation. ‘Very well, but it is best that you didn’t explain to anypony. With practice you’ll eventually be able to handle sendings while going about other activities.’

‘You mean carry on like this while talking to other ponies?’ The thought made Twilight self-conscious about her surroundings. She was, after all, having a conversation with a pony leagues away while standing alone in an empty room. She tried to ignore the physical isolation by closing her eyes. It helped a little. ‘Wait. Were you having conversations like this while I was talking with you in Canterlot?’

The reply seemed smug. She’d have to take a look at the formula later to see how it was able to carry such subtle emotions. ‘Almost constantly. In fact, I am currently corresponding with a pony in Stalliongrad by spell and General Black Jack and I are making plans regarding the leadership of the force assembling in Ponyville. He says hello, by the way.’

Twilight grinned in the empty room. ‘Tell him hi for me, then.’

‘Of course.’ There was a pause. ‘He is also wondering about a report I received earlier, regarding a unicorn with butterfly wings seen leaving Ponyville.’

‘That would have been Rarity. Rainbow Dash couldn’t be talked out of going to Cloudsdale, but I had to insist that she not go alone.’ She sighed. ‘Rarity volunteered.’

‘Elements traveling together. Smart.’ There was another delay. ‘While I recognize I have no authority in regards to the Elements, I cannot stress enough that such decisions have a great impact on the war effort, even from a military standpoint. Please keep me notified of such developments.’

‘Sorry, it’s been a busy morning. There’s a lot going on here and—’ She had a thought mid-sending. ‘Wait. What do you mean by no authority?’

‘Princess Celestia said she told you about that before she left, but there’s been a development here. This morning she signed a decree officially recognizing the Elements of Harmony as an independent branch of the military. Spike should be getting a copy later today. While you were given no authority beyond your friends, the decree makes you the equivalent of a three star general.’

Twilight felt the blood drain from her face. ‘What?! Why would she do that?’ He was slow to answer, and Twilight was about to send a follow up question when she received the reply.

‘Ouch. Please be more cautious. A few ponies were rather adamant that you would have no idea what to do with this situation. When they would not concede that they had no authority over the six of you, she settled the matter with a few strokes of her quill. Congratulations, by the way.’

She fell back on her haunches with a loud thud, at a loss for words. Generals who didn’t understand the Elements, conflict in the ranks, Celestia needing to sign laws to get them to back down; Everything about that story terrified Twilight, but another thought struck her.

‘I would have thought you would have been right there beside them, Director.’

Petronel must have taken his time thinking through his reply. Or maybe he was just talking to three ponies at once; it would be impossible for Twilight to tell from here. ‘A few generals think the Elements are just some kind of new rainbow cannon. I know better. I don’t agree with giving you free reign, but as far as I am concerned the matter was settled when Princess Celestia gave orders to that effect. Those orders are, in no uncertain terms, that I am to share relevant information and advise your decisions just as if you were the chief of the army or the air corps.’

He left Twilight just a few seconds to chew on that before adding. ‘Which, of course, is the purpose of this communication. Perhaps you should prepare yourself to take notes. I have a few other things of importance to share with you and the major.’

She smiled, collecting a nearby scroll, quill, and inkwell. ‘I’m ready when you are.’

Not ten minutes later, Twilight felt like she was drowning in a tidal wave of information. None of the professors in Canterlot had ever expected her to handle so much information so quickly. ‘Wait wait,’ Twilight pleaded through the sending spell. ‘I can write quicker than some ponies can talk, but certainly not faster than they think. Give me a moment to catch up.’

Petronel didn’t reply. Once her notes were in order, she asked him to continue.

‘The general in charge of the muster is named Paddock. Expect him to arrive by train tomorrow morning with the first elements of his armored division. As the ranking intelligence officer in Ponyville, Vedette should be there to meet him. At that point the major will no longer be the ranking officer on site, and he can focus on his duties as your military liaison and instructor.’

‘I see.’ Twilight scribbled the note down. ‘What’s the general like?’

‘He’s a madpony,’ Petronel replied instantly, ‘but he’s our madpony and he knows his business. His soldiers respect him. My personal advice is to stay away from him if you can.’ As an afterthought he added, ‘And you should probably hide Spike while he’s around.’

That was a strange suggestion. ‘Why? He sounds like somepony Spike might even want to meet.’’

‘The general has read the report about the dragon attack on Ponyville. He’ll only see Spike as a potential military asset, without considering the fact that the dragon could hardly control his actions during the incident.’

A chill went down Twilight’s spine. ‘Oh. Yeah, that would be a good idea then.’

‘Lastly Twilight, I do have some good news. The siege cannon was delayed by the destruction of several bridges along the route south. We won’t know how long for a while yet, but I’m hopeful it could be as much as a few days.’

‘That is good news!’

‘Yes.’ He seemed distracted. ‘Yes it is. You and the major should also be made aware, however, that it cost us our recon assets near the wagon train. It could be quite some time before we learn much more about the main body of the western force.’

‘What do you mean, though, cost us assets?’

‘Remember the two unicorns who originally reported to me about the cannon?’

Twilight nodded in reflex, then realized with a blush that no one would see it. ‘Yes, and a good thing too.’

‘Three hours ago, they reported the wagon train moving the siege cannon was nearing a river crossing. I checked several maps of the region, and that’s when I became aware of the extent of bridges in the area. A few raiding pegasi with explosives could hit most if not all of them, but we needed some time to organize. I deemed that the loss of that intelligence asset was worth a chance to destroy all the bridges heading south to Ponyville, so I ordered them to destroy the bridge.’

‘Oh wow, that would slow them down.’ She did her best to recall the topographic maps she had seen of the region. ‘There are at least a dozen little streams and rivers north of here.’

‘Yes,’ Petronel agreed. ‘As we speak, pegasi from the palace guard are destroying the bridges. Most of the streams aren’t deep enough to cause a problem for the diamond dogs, but each one will add hours to the wagon train’s arrival time.’

She nodded. This could really make a difference in the next few days. ‘How did you evacuate the two unicorns?’

‘The proper term is extract.’

‘Oh, sorry. How did you extract them?’

Silence.

Twilight waited a few moments before sending a worried message. ‘Petronel?’

‘We didn’t, Twilight.’

‘Oh. That’s…’ She didn’t want to think too hard on what that meant. ‘What went wrong?’

‘Twilight, nothing went wrong. They followed their orders and destroyed the bridge. The mission was a success.’

She dropped her quill. ‘Wait. You knew there was no plan to get them out after that?’

‘Yes. I explored it, but it simply wasn’t feasible.’

Twilight felt herself snarl. Her anger probably carried through the connection. ‘And you ordered them to go anyway?’

‘Yes, Twilight.’ He sent with resolute firmness. ‘I ordered them to take actions that would result in their deaths. They were acceptable losses.’

She shook. She couldn’t help it. She hadn’t been this mad since Queen Chrysalis had taunted her in the crystal caves under Canterlot. And to think, she had been willing to be friends with this pony. Even Twilight thought that was out of the question now. Any pony that could so callously send others to certain death wasn’t a pony at all.

She picked her quill back up and inked it. ‘Names.’

‘Excuse me?’

‘I want their names, Director. I’m going to write the princess a letter, and when this is over you can expect me to look into this in detail. And at the very least, we should remember the sacrifices they made today.’

She had to wait for Petronel’s reply. ‘I understand. They were Green Beret and Muzzle Brake.’ He volunteered to give their serial numbers too, but Twilight ignored him.

She wrote their names in big letters at the bottom of the page. ‘Thank you. Is there anything else?’

‘Not at this time.’

‘Good. We’ll talk again when there is.’ Then with a huff she added, ‘Goodbye.’

She stormed down the stairs, replaying the last part of the conversation in her memory. Suicide, she thought angrily. He had ordered those ponies to commit suicide! She couldn’t even begin to fathom it. How a pony could ever give such an order was beyond her. At least this explained his ‘reputation’ among the soldier ponies. Who knew if he would just walk into a room and order them to do something just like this!

Vedette was hovering near Twilight’s desk, where she had been doing all her research yesterday. It felt like years ago, though. He was careful not to touch anything, but he still peered over the books and scrolls with fascination. “Twilight, I wouldn’t have suspected you to have such a keen interest in the Troan Ballads. And the replica bust you have as a centerpiece is astounding.”

She wanted to talk about her research, or the bust. She wanted to talk about anything else but the conversation she just had with the director, but she just couldn’t. Not more than a few paces from the stairway she stopped, sniffling and leaning against a bookshelf. “I can’t do it, Vedette.”

That got his attention. The Troan research forgotten, he turned and trotted over to her. “What? What happened?”

“I thought I could be friends with anyone, Major. But I can’t. I found my limit.” She blinked a few times and looked away. “That Petronel, he’s some kind of monster.”

“Whoa, slow down Twilight,” he said reassuringly, but something about the look in his eyes told her he wasn’t surprised. “Tell me what happened.”

Twilight opened her mouth but was interrupted by two solid knocks on the door. Vedette put a hoof on her shoulder. “Don’t worry, I’ll get it. You stay here and catch your breath.”

“No.” Twilight inhaled, stood and sniffed one last time. “This is my library, and you’re my guest. I’ll get it.”

Vedette gave her a wounded smile, but in his eyes she could tell he understood. “Alright, then.”

She nodded. “I took notes on the conversation. There was a lot he wanted me to pass on to you.” She put the scroll on the table.

Three more knocks came from the door, this time hard and impatient.

Vedette rolled open the scroll and started reading. “You’d better see to it, then.”

Twilight opened the door to a familiar orange earth pony. A wave of relief washed over the unicorn. After how things went in her talk with Petronel, she knew she could use a visit from a real friend.

“Applejack!” Twilight grinned. “Come on in.”

Strangely, Applejack didn’t return her warmth. Instead she stared at the unicorn for a few moments, and then looked past her to Vedette before stepping inside. “Twilight, I heard some things from Applebloom and Sweetie Belle.”

Twilight tilted her head and shut the door. “What things?”

“That’s what I’m here to talk about. I wanted to hear it from you before I jumped to any conclusions,” she said, her voice cautious. “And I need the truth, all of it.”

“Of course, Applejack. You know I’d never lie to you.” Even as she said it, the look on Applejack’s face caused her to doubt the words. “…Right?”

Applejack didn’t say anything to that, or nod. Her gaze went past Twilight again. “Maybe we should talk about this in private.”

“Huh?”

Vedette flicked his ear loud enough for Twilight to hear, and she turned to see him getting up. “It’s alright, Miss Sparkle. I’ll be in the kitchen.” He picked up the scroll and trotted out of the room.

Twilight turned back to her friend with a raised eyebrow. “Applejack, what’s gotten into you?”

Applejack looked Twilight right in the eyes. “Where,” she started cautiously, “are Rarity and Rainbow Dash?”

Twilight felt her jaw fall a little bit at the directness of the question. It felt like she was being accused of something, but of what she couldn’t be sure yet. “They left for Cloudsdale not too long ago. They might be there by now. Why?”

A ripple passed through the earth pony, and she looked away and mumbled. “I knew it. I didn’t want to believe it, but I knew it was true.”

“Applejack, you’re scaring me. Knew what?”

Applejack spun back to her, her face red with anger. “You let them go! You let Rainbow Dash head right into a warzone, and Rarity with her!” She stamped a fore hoof. “RARITY, for Pete’s sake!”

Twilight’s head swam. “Wait, we talked about this. You knew Rainbow wanted to go. You even helped hold her back.”

“And you let her go! You said none of the elements should go off on their own, and I agreed with you. It was a great way to keep her here.”

The unicorn felt her jaw slack open a little bit. “That’s what you thought?”

“And then what? You went and talked Rarity into it?” Her eyes narrowed and she looked to the kitchen door, her voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper. “Or was it him?”

“Nopony talked anypony into anything. I tried to talk them both out of going.” She stepped back, looking Applejack over with suspicion. “Applejack, what’s gotten into you? I know war can be dangerous, but-”

“No!” Applejack roared, slamming her front hooves into the floor. She took two steps forward, and Twilight couldn’t help but back away from her. “You don’t! You don’t know a darn thing about it!”

The earth pony stared daggers at her, breathing hard in her anger. Then it slowed, giving way to something else. Applejack’s eyes started to glisten.

“You let them go. Our friends.” She stood up straight, anger seeming to drain from her. “And you didn’t even let me say goodbye.”

Twilight opened her mouth to try and explain, but Applejack slammed a hoof again. “No, I don’t wanna hear it. You go on and hang out with those officer types, Twi, and see how far it gets you. I’ve got work to do.”

Applejack turned and headed for the door. Twilight wanted to stop her but the words died in her mouth. Before she could think of what to say her friend was gone.

A concerned stallion’s voice came from the kitchen door. “Is everything alright? I heard yelling,” Vedette called. “Miss Sparkle?”

“I…” Twilight replayed Applejack’s visit in her mind’s eye, each time becoming more confused by the earth pony’s words. Increasingly frustrated, she shook her head and faced Vedette, rubbing a temple with a hoof. “Ugh! You know what? Yes. Everything’s fine.”

Raising an eyebrow, he glanced to the front door and back to Twilight. “It didn’t sound fine.”

“It’s fine because it has to be fine. I don’t have time to argue with ponies over every little thing.” Twilight slammed her hoof on the floor for emphasis. That little bit of venting felt better than the temple rub, but she was still angry. Losing herself in that new book was beginning to sound like a really good idea about now. “Let’s just, ah, talk about the scroll, and then I can start reading about tactics. The sooner I understand what’s going on, the better. Did you have any questions about the notes I gave you?” She really hoped there weren’t any.

“Only one.”

Of course there was. “And?”

He frowned. “Well, you have these two names at the bottom of the page, with no other notes about them.”

“That’s a reminder for me,” Twilight said with finality, but then something clicked. “Why, do you know them?”

Vedette smiled. “Of course. Muzzle Break and Petronel graduated from Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns together, and the three of them were good friends in the Delta Hooves.”

She froze. “Huh?” That made no sense at all! Petronel had sent those ponies to their deaths, and hadn’t even tried to deny it. He had treated them like nameless pawns to be discarded. He was so certain it was worth their sacrifice, she had assumed that they were just minions to him. She couldn’t imagine what kind of heartless beast would throw away somepony’s life that way. She felt faint.

The major must have seen a change in Twilight, because he immediately fixed his eyes on her with a concerned look. “Why, what’s the matter?” Absently, Twilight noted he took a few steps closer.

According to Vedette, they weren’t just random subordinates. They were Petronel’s friends. His old friends, even. Somehow he had written them off as ‘acceptable losses.’ How could anypony do that? How could a pony think that sending friends to their deaths would be worth any cause?

Because he is desperate to save Equestria, Twilight, she realized. Just like you are. Just like you were when you let Rarity leave with Rainbow Dash.

That understanding clicked with Applejack’s tirade, and she felt her strength just leave her. She wasn’t just like Petronel. He had ordered ponies into certain death; Rarity and Rainbow had wanted to go, and their mission wasn’t suicidal. She knew that in her head, but she couldn’t focus on it. Her heart screamed that she had still sent her friends to risk everything for Equestria.

But now, she understood him a little better. She could maybe even feel a little of what he felt when he made that decision. It felt cold.

She collapsed.

“Twilight!” Vedette lunged and got his body under her head before she hit the floor. “Twilight, talk to me.”

Even if there were still differences between the two of them, after today they had one thing in common; both of them had sent their friends into harm’s way. And, Twilight realized, there was always a chance that they might not come back.

“Celestia,” moaned Twilight sadly, hanging her head. “What have I become?”