• Published 21st Oct 2012
  • 1,168 Views, 9 Comments

Fallout Equestria : New Bridle : High Kingdom - RoyrenRoxx



Two wasteland survivors head South to a fallen ex-Equestria city, setting off a chain of unpleasant events as they unearth two hundred year's worth of post-War mysteries.

  • ...
2
 9
 1,168

Ch. 2; What a Terrible Mistake

“What a terrible mistake, to let go of something
wonderful for something real.”
-Miranda July, No One Belongs Here More Than You

CHAPTER TWO

There are truths you can never get away from. They will haunt you, no matter how far you run, how high you fly. And the truth about truth is, when your legs can no longer move, when your wings can no longer beat, it all becomes encompassed in a single question: how will you face it? Who will you bring the truth to? Who will you hide it from? And who do you trust to keep it? Can you even trust yourself? Or are you the only person you can trust?


This is the only time you will hear my voice.

What a liar, I hear it right fucking now!

Once upon a time, we lived in the sky. We were pegasi that never stepped a hoof onto ground, held in our cloud city with clear blue sky. When war had wrecked the mortal Equestia below, we sought not to grace the lands below, for safer were we in our cloud thrones. Even when a thousand heads cried to our kingdom for aid, for ascendance into our city, for the safety our sanctums granted us, we knew better than to fall below and provide aid, for contagious is the corruption upon the heathen.

I knew this part of the story, but without the detail.

Our people lived in the glorious inventions of our own creation, with things the earthen below only dreamed of. We slept in beds of clean cotton sheets, ate warm food at any hour of day. We needed not books to keep records, for vast terminals held more data than the efforts of the lower beings below us. Little illed us, with medicine that cured what would otherwise be lethal, from caring for bacterial infections, to the euthanization of our own pegasi gone astray. Everything was as rightfully so.

Euthanization... what the hell did that mean?

And when our righteous wrath had been provoked, when something below wished us harm, we executed it with fire that rained from the sky, our satellites coordinating beams on precision targets, and plasma flushing out those harder to find. It was only just, payback for the pain caused by those whom our judgement deemed as condemned. Even when Equestria had turned to Tartarus, our lives changed little, for among the skies we found comfort while others suffered in their sin. No one could reach us so high, so we kept to our towers that were lit even through the night, safe from the world in eternal dark below. We had plenty enough, even when below no pony was spared. And for our greatness, we were relinquished from the earthern pony’s punishments.

My stomach sickened. This... I’ve never heard a pony talk like that. With such cold brashness. Executed. Condemned. None of it sounded friendly.

Of Temperance, of Bravery, of Diligence and all the rest of our virtues, none could save us when a deep evil had smote us from our very own skies. Banshees filled the skies that had otherwise been silent, filling what was once blue with white gray. They circled our city, denying our roam of our own sky. And though brave pegasi fought, no hospitality came from outside. Those that did hide in their cowardice, no matter where they hid, frost came and crept under their doors, to rooms that the wind hadn't already broken into. It was clear some sin brought ponies to their bitterly iced ends. It was all payment for the cumulative price of a hundred years without purification, damnation from Celestia herself. No one could do what was needed to be done; the frozen horrors were coming down on us as if we were simpletons on the ground, not pegasi living above the clouds. Over three hundred left dead, and a thousand more dying.

That grinding sound of teeth, so rage filled it scared me. Drove me running through the meadows for hours, trying to pound it away with the sound of hooves beating the ground.

The ghosts came from the domes of the sky, wails filling the winds until the sky was nothing but clouds... Run, run run away... And as I stood in what had once been a great city, windows barred with putrid souls cowering behind upturned tables, I finally turned my ears to listen to what Celestia had sent to us. What she had wanted from us; the lesson we were to learn. And I heard revelation clear through the fog that settled in our streets. We weren’t doomed to the taint steadily growing generation to generation. Though the few of us could come to reason, without radical change, our children could not.

Above, Soft Song amd May Flower wobbled, still new to flight. Their first flights failed to distract me as they once had.

Many inhabitants of the sky city refused to come to reason and realize the truth. That we must purify our ranks, flush away those of ill heart the same way that our plasma cannons did. There were those calling us out of our mind, and others yet revolted and claiming our hearts ugly and the source of the plague of winter ghosts. So I turned away from their cries for help, that called the evil spirits to enter their homes. They believed there was forgiveness in their idleness, as if pleading would exempt them from suffering, that in time perhaps the ghosts would wander off and return to them their peace. In my revelations, I had seen what had to be done...

Realize the truth... what was it? I began to imagine, but the thought was so... Astray.

Not waiting with head held in hooves, but action. I gathered only the most unadulterated of heart I could find, for only a flock of the most pure remaining could I consider salvageable. And only the saved could be the youngest, the newest born of the colts and fillies. They tried to return to the sky city many times, so something had to be done; the order was clenched between my own teeth, but that did not subtract from the fact that it was absolute. Tear their wings off.

Celestia, save me. I can’t even try to outrun it anymore.

Upon the white ground I had fallen, accompanied by my chosen few who would become the surviving wings of our race... and we wandered, seeking salvation in this waste of a world perhaps no one in their right mind would have searched. But we found a home in the white endless, an emptied Stable which held no survivors. We couldn’t become part of the world below, however, for the heavens were our true domain, but the Stable would have to be good enough. There, I sealed the remaining of my kind, locking them into safety to wait out the Great Storm. Their descending kindred would become the most important thing remaining of our people, until redemption can be sought once more.

“Son, I need to talk to you-”

You... you are our kindred. Before you have been the sinners that soiled our beautiful sky cities, who have been punished while you have been spared. You have lived a life provided by the sacrifices of the worthy before you. If you hear my message, you have been entrusted with the future of your kind. And I ask of you to return your own children to the glory of our kingdom lost. Return us to the heavens we belonged to...

“Son!” A sky blue wall blocked my path, forcing me to stop my running. Pausing, I looked up.

“I apologize, Overmare, I didn’t hear you.”

“I’m not here on Overmare business, son, I’m here as your mother.” She spread her left wing over me, pulling me close like a child, “I’ll always be here as mom.”

“I didn’t realize,” I turned my head to the side, “What’s up?”

“That’s what I’m asking you, son,” she loosened her wing around me, but still laid it across my shoulders, “You’ve looked burdened as of late. Is there anything worrying you?”

“Not really. I’ve been fine. Is everything OK with you?”

She sighed. There was a worried look on her face, the same look she had earlier today, “There are grave things stirring here, my son, but nothing to be feared. A storm is coming, soon. I wish I could tell you more, but there is so little I know. No matter what happens, I love you more than anything. Even the sun couldn’t replace the spot you hold in my heart.”

Is it true? That we weren’t meant to be happy here on Earth, but return to the Sky City? When will we go back to our original home? Is the High Kingdom you told me about, the old city drowned in sins, still there waiting for us?

“I... I’ll be fine, mother. I just need some time.”

“Day Break...” I looked up at her, her face fallen to silence. She was so... sad, “You never have to hide anything from me, even if you think it’s frivolous or small or unworthy of my attention. I will not judge you, and I never will. I will always be here for you, and I will always do everything I can to protect you. No matter what. I will always have faith in you, despite what you chose to do.”

“Thanks, mom.” Skies above Earth, this was so sudden, I didn’t know what else to say.

Above us, a silver blue twilight fell across the mountain sides, covering the granite and snow. The moon began its ascent, only a sliver of its former self, stars beginning to speck the dark canvas behind it. Colder winds began to trail down the valley walls, carrying off the rest of what little remained of the day’s warmth. My mom stood in what I could only describe as a burdened grace, watching daylight fade as she held me close in her wing.

“It’s late, my son. We should return to our kind and get some rest now.”

I promised I’d keep a secret, right? Then why does it feel like I did the wrong thing?

I woke huddled by my mother and six others, under the ledge that overlooked the pass between the Stable and the western craigs. It was still early in the morning. Normally, I wouldn’t wake until the sun had passed the distant, snowy peaks, but those late awakenings were reserved for ponies around my own age in the valleys below. My mother was always an early riser, and today she rose earlier than usual.

It doesn’t make sense,” her whisper barely made my ears, but was so urgent in tone I couldn’t ignore, “Everypony’s accounted for. And we haven’t ever had guests in our mountains ever - any contact has always been miles and miles from home, and none have been personal. We’ve kept our distance. Any path a traveler could take into our lands through leads the long way around our homes.”

“Maybe there’s no intruder, after all,” a deeper voice responded, “Maybe all of this is internal.”

“Vale saw movement to the West while she was with Sky Tide. Could it be that?”

“Too far away. Vale said whatever she saw was pretty distinct, so I’m sure we’d notice whoever it was if they were near.”

“I just... I know everypony here, Hearth. Ever since I was a filly and well into my older years I’ve been close to each and every soul. Maybe I don’t know everything in these valleys, but I know enough to know that none of us are capable of malicious intent. Not since the old days.”

“Somepony was deep in the Stable yesterday afternoon. They were in the rooms we keep locking over and over again, and I don’t think that the Stable doors are old to the point where they swing open at the slightest breeze. You know how serious this is.”

“Only five ponies, counting myself, were in the Stable at that time, and I saw and accounted for each and every one. Me, you, Sun Rise, Glacier Peak, and your partner Frozen Oak. None of them would be interested in doing such a thing”

“Maybe a pony slipped past us. We’ll have to talk to the rest to be sure.”

I shuffled, turning over and lazily opening my eye. Mom was with Hearth Glow, the reddish stallion I saw with her by the Stable yesterday. Hearth jerked his head when I rolled over to face them. I watched him from where I laid on the ground. My mother and his conversation ended immediately.

“Glad to see you awake, kid,” Hearth flashed half a grin, but I didn’t smile back, “Where’s Wind Glass?”

“We had a bit of a fight yesterday, and we split. I think she’s still in the meadows.”

“I see. I’m sure you’ll sort it out soon. Partners fight sometimes, but they’ll always come together again.” He shook his mane, stretching his wing. When he finished, he turned to my mother, “It’s time for me and Oak to start our cloud chores, Blessed Wind. There’s a hail storm to carry off to the craig cliffs.”

“I shall see you later then, friend.” My mother sighed, watching Hearth wake his partner and then taking off. I rose to sit by her, the two pegasi becoming dots in the distance. Oh, did the urge rise in me to tell mom then - It was me and Wind Glass in the Stable! We slipped by when you weren’t looking! We found the recording below the Overmare’s Office!

Would mom be mad if I did? Hearth Glow sounded pretty serious, too - I know I’m the Overmare and Highstallion’s son, but that status wouldn’t excuse me from punishment. Sometimes, when a pegasi misbehaves, ponies exclude them from chores or even from their own sleep groups. But exclusion never lasts more than a day. Would they exclude me for an entire week for what Wind Glass and I did? How about a month for keeping it a secret?

What if they banished me?

“Where’s Dad?” I break the silence, releasing the bite on my tongue.

A small chuckle came from Mom, “Sleeping in. You know your father - I’ve never seen him wake early enough to even see the sun rise. I wonder if his parents ever kept that in mind when they named him. Then again, they never quite saw the sun to begin with...” The words came out as a mumble at the end.

“Mom?”

“I’m sorry, son. One day soon, we’ll have a talk. And I’ll tell you everything. It’s just... everything’s been worrisome of late. I’m a little stressed, and I’ve been busy. I need to go soon. I’m so sorry.”

“Yeah.” She nuzzled me. “I understand.”

“Wake your father up for me. Afterwards, maybe then you can find Wind Glass and sort out whatever is troubling the two of you.”

My father - Sun Rise - was the last one left sleeping. His broad shoulders made him quite the hump on a rock, his head tucked in marigold feathers. I called his name, prodding his arm, but all he did was yawn. I didn’t bother sticking around until he woke; I took my mother’s advice and began my search for Wind Glass.

She was where we had met yesterday, waiting alone in the meadow. I wondered if she had slept at all. Whatever had itched her neck for months must have really been crawling, Wind Glass pacing in a circle and throwing a glare off in the far distance. When I cleared my throat, her body froze, neck snapping to face in my direction,

“So you’ve come back?” She sounded pissed.

“I’m...” Stars, how do I say it? “Sorry, I guess. About leaving you yesterday.”

“I was worried you decided you’d run off and never come back.” Snort. “You haven’t told anyone, have you, during your emotional rampage through the fields?”

“No, I didn’t! Winnie, I made you a promise-”

“I thought we were supposed to be partners, and you just decide to gallop off without me and refuse to talk and-”

“Wind Glass!” I couldn’t help it; I had to raise my voice, “For the sake of every fucking pony in these fucking valleys, would you listen? I’ve been here for you the whole time, and I always will be. Could you at least be considerate sometimes? You’re not the only one who’s had a branch driven between their hinds around here. Celestia save me!”

Wind Glass stared at me with a blank expression. She opened her mouth a few times, shutting it twice, before talking, “I... I’m sorry, I didn’t know you felt that way.” Her voice was coated in liquid sugar, ears folded back and her eyes so round.

“I just... I don’t know how to handle this, Wind Glass.” I gave up, letting myself fall on my rump. I don’t know who I should trust. You’re my wing partner, but I don’t know if I can trust you more than my mother with how crazy you’ve been lately. It’s like you’ve become a whole new pony, a pony who doesn’t care about me anymore. If only I could just blurt it all out in one go like that. “Maybe if I had more time, I could figure this out.”

“Yeah, OK.” She sat down next to me, but I turned away, “Sorry for pressing. Look at me a moment.”

“Winnie...”

“Just trust me enough to look at me.”

I sighed, “I don’t want to.”

“I want to apologise.”

“For what?”

“The way I’ve been behaving lately. I haven’t been open to you about what’s really going on. The truth is...” I faced her then, looking into her eyes...

... Were they always so green?

“The truth is, Day Break, I understand. I’ve been a silly filly, huh? But you don’t have to worry so much.” Her voice was a purr, a headache beginning to throb in my head, “You’ll do things you regret sometimes. The best thing we can do is accept that fact and move on.”

“... Right, Winnie. I’m sorry I doubted you.”

“I’m glad we’ve come to an agreement, then. Now that we’ve put that behind us, we can move on.”

Move on. There was once a pony I knew when I was much younger than I am now named Sun’s Eye. I didn’t know much about him, other than the fact that he was old - almost sixty five. And he was grieving. His wing partner had been lost, and never found again. Without a doubt, his wing partner had flown his last flight.

That’s what he told me the hardest part about life is. To lose someone so important. And after that comes an equally hard part; moving on.

Maybe moving on for me wasn’t letting the conflict between Winnie and I go, but letting the Winnie I once knew go. She only acted in a rational way, after all. The world is changing, even though none of the familiar mountains moved, and I couldn’t cling to someone I knew. Or even the world I knew. Something great was rising on the horizon.

High Kingdom was waiting for us there.

Our parents had lied to us, told us the world of old was forever gone and that we would forever live in these endless, cold valleys. But the old world was waiting for us. It always had been, for the children of its old inhabitants to return and make it full again. Wasn’t that our destiny? To wait for the storm to pass, and then return and restore what had been ruined? It wouldn’t be hard at all. It just took a little hope.

Wind Glass and I took off at the brink of evening’s twilight. When the cloud patrols had retired from the stratosphere for the night, yet no lookout had risen into the darkening sky, was when the two of us took wing and escaped from our valley hovels. We headed West, against the eastern winds that fell into the Prancesylvanian valleys. And we flew through the night.

Old gorges and summits passed us, replaced with new, unfamiliar ones. I wasn’t afraid, though. Our destiny was waiting, a shining new future waiting for us in the past. The farther we flew, the stronger the winds became, the colder the air grew. Though ice formed between our feathers, we shook it off. A little cluster of frozen lumps couldn’t stop us; our will was indomindable. Invictus.

Hours passed before a howl surrounded us, a flurry of snow swirling and trying to push us off course. I huffed, beating my wing harder. I could barely make out a dark floating shape, deep in the thick fog, just a little further away. We could make it.

Flying became harder and harder. I wanted to land so bad, but the lands were full of sharp cliffs covered in layers of impenetrable jagged ice. I don’t think that if we did land, we’d be able to take off again. The snow would bury us down there, if we didn’t slide and impale ourselves first.

There was a wail that came, echoing both in the air and between our ears, warning us to turn back. But the skycity would soon be so close, I could just reach it with an outstretched wing! I craned my neck further into the growing storm. I squinted, an attempt to see clearer, the sky so dark and blackened. Perhaps it was because it was the night. But the full moon had greeted us when we left for our journey; here, the moon was drowned, it’s light suffocated.

“Wind Glass!” I had to shout. Something in the distance, darker than everything else, floated in the sky. The silent night we once enjoyed was filled with wails, “Can you see it? We’re almost there”

Wind Glass didn’t respond beside me, her weight beginning to drag me downwards. Afraid of spiraling, I tried to lift her higher, to shout words of encouragement. It felt like the coldest of gusts muted me, filling my throat with frost every time I opened my mouth. I cried and cried, but the cries of the skies were so much louder.

Then, I saw them - the banshees the recording spoke of. Celestia, save me. They galloped above the city, creating a dome of eternal winter winds, their manes bringing down waves upon waves of hail. The frozen chunks pelted us, hitting our wings and hides. I never stopped beating my wings, though, fighting the sky ghosts and their storm. The city! It couldn’t be far now; I could see each individual sharp rise of its buildings, the clouds that it was held aloft on. But... it was so... dark.

Blackness filled the streets. I had imagined a bigger, brighter city, full of light and the old world’s inventions, waiting for a young soul to unlock. The city, however, was hollow, any promise within it out of my view. Decay had wrecked havoc on its structures, towers that had once looked so slim so rugged and destroyed closer up. Was there anything even left? There had to be.

“We’re almost there!” Closer... closer... closer...

But the city began to become farther, this time becoming higher and higher as we tried to reach it. It rose above us, out of our grasp and into the banshee-filled skies. I raised my hooves, reaching for it as it left us. I turned to Wind Glass, to urge her further, but she was motionless. Her wing had stopped beating; the city was not moving at all. We were falling.

The downwards spiral was imminent, our steady flight turning into a wild descent towards the white, featureless ground. I tried to keep my grasp on her, keep her close, but she made no attempt to hang on. As we fell, she slid out of my hooves, and the wind seperated us. I tried to follow her - I swear, I did! I wouldn’t let her go! Ever! She was the most precious to me, more precious than the sun and the moon and the sky, more precious than...

Than some kingdom resting in the heavens.

What have I done?

Footnote:
Level Up! Lvl 2
Perk Gained!

My Plot-Driving Ordeal: You really fucked it up this time, huh? After witnessing a close pony of yours die, you’re now driven by the memory of their death. In extreme situations of despair, flip a coin. That memory will either hold you back, or force you to pursue your quest further.

Skills Gained
Survival +12