• Published 19th Oct 2012
  • 1,193 Views, 33 Comments

Cloudhammer's 255 Collection - Cloudhammer



Collection of short stories in the Cloudyverse

  • ...
10
 33
 1,193

Equal Representation

Year 6, Week 3, Tuesday

It had started, as things are wont to, in public places. As the returning newfoals had reclaimed their homes, stores, restaurants, and bars, so too had their ideas.

“Y’know Star, I sometimes feel like we’re like the original colonists from the Revolutionary War.” A unicorn said as he levitated first one shot glass, then a second into his mouth. “Damn, but that Apple family cider makes a great chaser.”

“What do you mean, Andy?” Star Dancer asked curiously.

“Well, we’re all of us, all the newfoals who came back, we’re all ponies now,” Andy said, staring at the table in thought. “But we still have human senators and Representatives. Well, Ian ponified, helped him build that add-on to let his wife anchor her cloud-home to his house. But my point stands, we don’t have representatives that are here, now. Who know what it’s like now with the thaumatic energy soaking the land.”

Star Dancer nodded. “I guess I see your point. Though what do you want to do about it?” The pegasus took a drink from his glass.

Andy grinned. “Well, our senators are up for reelection this year. And this time, I think we ought to offer them some real competition for the spots.”

“You really think you have a chance at doing it?”

“Hell, doesn’t really matter if we do or we don’t. This country was founded on the principle of people being able to govern themselves.” Andy looked down at his hooves. “Although, might make ‘em need to change some of the legal crap. But damnit, I for one don’t feel like having someone who doesn’t live on these islands representing us in Washington. I’m still a US citizen, and I want my concerns to be heard. And I know I’m not the only one.” A couple other ponies, drawn by his increasing volume, nodded. “So, the bigger question is, who do we nominate?”

The silence in the room was deafening, all eyes pointing at Andy. Star Dancer set his glass down with a chuckle. “Well, I think you have your first candidate.”