• Published 15th Oct 2012
  • 1,212 Views, 20 Comments

Umbratara: The Garden of Shadows - Kipakuta



A long time ago in a land to the west, a monster terrorized ponykind.

  • ...
1
 20
 1,212

Trotsylvania

~"Are you sure you have everything you need?" One of the townsponies asked. ~"We don't want you to leave behind something you might need."

~"It's alright." Starsong replied. ~"We can ration our food to last a week. And that's enough time to get from Nocne Mesta back to here. And the books would get ruined during the river ride. That's why I gave them to you all."

The other pony chuckled. ~"Maybe when the land is reunited, we can have some teachers to help us read Canter."

Starsong boarded the raft and stood in front of Cheerilee, while Toola Roola took the rear of the raft. ~"If all goes well, you'll know in two days. If not, at least you can get to Loshad and Pomarenia now." The pegasus added.

~"Thank you again for all you've done." Another townspony joined in.

"Everypony ready?" Cheerilee asked. She, Toola Roola, and Starsong each bit down on one of the ropes that had been provided for security, and braced for the launch.

~"Break the dam.'" Starsong managed to say. One of the townsponies kicked out the logs that had been used to block the flow of water. The sudden release allowed the pooled water to surge along the river, carrying the logs and raft with it. ~"I hereby declare this river to be open!" Starsong whooped, spreading her wings. The trio felt a sense of pride, basking in the townsponies calls of goodbyes and well-wishing.

- - -

A jasmine colored unicorn entered the palace's briefing room. "I have the report from Canterlot University Research department." She stated.

A green unicorn strode over. "I'll make sure that her Majesty gets it, Arial."

Arial passed a thick manilla folder over to Lime, then departed. Lime set the folder on the table that held other reports and a stack of old tomes. A minute later, Princess Luna entered the room through another door. "Maid Lime." She addressed the green unicorn. "Please see to it that we cease our research in one hour's time."

"Of course, Your Majesty." Lime replied. "Will you be dining with your sister, or here this evening?"

Luna tapped her cheek in thought. "Sister doth enjoy my company. And she is of the mind that I am become too fix'd with this mystery." She looked down that the journal that she had been reading. "But I find myself vexed by this."

Lime trotted over, then slid the new folder into Princess Luna's reach. "This just arrived from the University."

Luna took the folder and read through the report. "These be the results of the tests performed upon the Thaumicite?"

"I haven't read through the report, your Majesty." Lime replied. "For all I know, it could be their budget requirements, or hourly fees for their services."

Luna opened the folder, and levitated the various documents and charts. "It seems that science has advanced greatly, to have so many tests and procedures to detail." She read one of the reports. "An organic compound composed mainly of sanguineous and osseic tissue. The mana has an oily resonance that warps the properties of the material." She lowered the report and rubbed her chin in thought.

"Your Highness." Lime approached. "All that technical mumbo jumbo doesn't mean much to me. But I know what I felt."

"And what did you feel, my dear friend?"

"It seemed to rub against my hoof in a manner similar to a pony's tongue."

Luna stacked the report back in the folder. "You did mention that the first time."

Lime used one hoof to rub the fetlock of her other front leg. "It just had a total sense of wrongness to it. Like it was an offense to reality."

"I will show this to my sister, then." Luna levitated the report by her side as she left the room.

- - -

The raft drifted along the river, being towed by a gentle current through a broad patch. In the light of the setting sun, the dense forest on either side of the river took on a sinister appearance. "So, are we gonna ride all night, or stop and set up camp somewhere?" Starsong asked Cheerilee.

Cheerilee thought for a moment. "I would like to find an open area where we can set up a defense against predators." She looked to the close set trees. "But according to the maps, the river exits the forest a short distance from the start of the delta."

Toola Roola's gaze darted left and right, looking for the source of certain sudden sounds such as hoots, howls, screeches, and rustling. "I'll take my chances on staying up all night." She commented. "It feels safer here."

"Not worried about something coming up under the raft?" Starsong teased. Cheerilee lightly smacked the pegasus' rump. "Hey, I'm joking." She said with a giggle.

Toola Roola chuckled. "Hey Stars, you know what day it is today?"

Starsong gasped in realization. "Today was the day that we were supposed to go to the mall."

"I'm sure we can go when we get back." Cheerilee offered. "We could take Thistle and Jasper too."

"Hey Cheerilee?"

"Yes Toola Roola?"

"Tell us about Sarmanetians."

The earth pony chuckled. She gave a brief glance to the rising moon, then began. "Well, early in Second Age. nomadic ponies began settling the grasslands around the Onyx sea..."

- - -

"Thank you from bringing this to my attention, Luna." A white alicorn stated. "I had the fragments of your armor put in a display, but now that I know how dangerous it is, I shall have it destroyed."

Luna nodded. "Perhaps replaced with a cleverly mocked replica." She said with a grin. "After all, History should not be buried or hidden away. We know where that path leads."

"All too well. Dear sister." Celestia replied. "Now what about the report of The old unicorn sorceress?"

"I shall make arrangements to travel there shortly. If it is indeed Clover the Clever, I should have an audience with her. And from what I have gathered from the reports, My mercenaries have made great progress in removing the threats to the land. My presence shall be needed soon."

"Are you done with your research then?" Celestia nuzzled her sister.

"I have read enough. I know that silver works because it is a reflective and purifying metal. As mine enemy be a spirit of plague and dark magics, his bane makes sense."

"Just be careful." Celestia admonished. "Even though he is depicted as a Draconequus, nopony really knows his true form."

"I do." Luna replied. "I recall his likeness and presence from when I donned the armor." She turned to face Celestia. "Last time, he caught me off guard and was able to suppress my benevolent traits. This time, I will not be ambushed so easily."

- - -

Toola Roola shook her head, trying to clear the sleepiness from her mind. "Are we out yet?" She asked her companions.

"Not yet." Starsong replied. "I've been watching for openings, but I haven't seen anything that would make a suitable campground."

"I think we should park the raft and look further in-forest." Cheerilee stated. "I'm started to feel sleepy myself. I'd hate to fall off the raft and drown."

"Ok. North or south?" Starsong asked.

"South." All three then began paddling the raft to the southern bank. Once it reached the sloping soil, Starsong hopped off then helped the other two disembark. They used the ropes to drag the raft out of the water.

As soon as they entered the forest, Toola perked her ears. "Listen, do you hear that?"

Cheerilee and Starsong raised their ears. A faint sound like somepony chanting seemed to drift from deep within the woods. It was punctuated by a ululating whinny. "That way." Starsong pointed. All three dashed towards the noise, weaving around the trees. The chanting became more distinct and layered, as if multiple ponies were participating. They spotted an orange glow amongst the trees and headed for it.

As they entered the clearing, the chanting fell silent, and three ponies who had been dancing stopped and turned to face them. All three had brown pelts. One had an orange mane and beard, and stag's horns on his brow. "You are most welcome to partake of our warmth, travelers!" The stallion spoke, gesturing to the large fire in the center of the clearing. "We only ask that you leave your goods outside of our clearing."

"Why, scared of a little silver?" Starsong asked, pointing her springbow. The mares chuckled. One of them, sporting a mane that seemed be composed of yellow flower petals, stepped forward.

"It is not silver we fear, Pegasus." She smirked. "We are not children of Si'Mu'Ze."

"You may keep your armor, weapons, and wands." The other mare added, slightly flaring a crest of red feathers along her neck. "But the stuff in your packs is not welcome."

"The stuff in our packs?" Cheerilee turned and began looking through her equipment. "It's just tools and equipment for camping.

Toola Roola and Starsong removed their packs then approached the fire. Cheerilee thought for a moment, then emptied her pack, keeping it on. "Keep an eye on that one, Mares." The stallion commented, pointing at Cheerilee with a cloven hoof. The two mares giggled.

"How should we address you?" Cheerilee asked.

"We are the dreams of lost travelers." The stallion replied. "How shall we address you?"

"I am Cheerilee, and This is my marewife, Toola Roo-" The stallion held up a hoof.

"Cheerilee. Your companions can speak for themselves." He admonished.

"Right." She nodded, then looked to the unicorn.

"I am Toola Roola." She stated.

"I am Starsong." The pegasus added. The stallion seemed satisfied.

"Ok." Cheerilee began. "What did you mean when you said that you weren't Children of Si mu ze?"

"They who partake of pony flesh, and pony life." The feather-maned mare replied. finishing with a ululating whinny.

"We only want pony words." The flower-maned mare added. All three grinned widely.

"Riiight." Cheerilee replied. "

"Who is this Si'Mu'Ze." Starsong inquired.

"You give us new words, we give you his words." The flower-maned mare stated.

"Words? Oh! You mean stories." Toola Roola realized. "Sure, we can give you words." The three woodland ponies seated themselves on the ground, as Toola Roola looked to Cheerilee.

The magenta pony leaned foward. "This is a story that is near and dear to our hearts. In the lands of the Sun, on the fields of Percheron, lived a Duchess named Le-Mane Fourquad..."

- - -

Princess Luna scanned the rows of silver clad ponies standing in formation before her. "At ease, Ponies!" She called out with an amplified voice. "We art satisfied with thine alacrity and preparedness!"

"Your Majesty." Captain Kalterbriss addressed her. "We were instructed to have you meet with an old unicorn who lives west of here."

"Of course, Captain." She ceased the amplification spell. "As both the Reiten and Bohaymian forces are in satisfactory order, thy troops are dismissed." The formations broke, and the soldiers returned to sleep or their prior duties. "Wouldst thou lend us a guide?"

"Your Highness, I will show you the way." An earth pony soldier replied.

"As you were, Captain." Luna stated before following the soldier.

- - -

The sound of knocking awoke the old unicorn inside the cabin. She grumbled, slowly rolling over. "What does an old mare have to do to get some peace around here?" She muttered to herself. The knocking came again. "Yes yes, I heard it the first time!" She snapped. The mare stood up and walked over to the door. "Knocking and knocking. You'd think I have nothing better to do than to wait for visitors." She opened the door of the cabin.

"E'en one who you have not seen in a millennium?" A dark blue winged unicorn replied. The two gazed at each other, smiles slowly forming on their muzzles. They suddenly rushed into an embrace, laughing.

"I missed you so much, mother." The alicorn spoke first, a tear trailing down one of her cheeks.

"Oh my little Lulu." The aged unicorn replied. "You bring such joy to my heart."

"I always did have a gift for doing that." Luna replied. "But how did you manage to live so long?"

"Come inside, and I will tell you." The old mare answered.

- - -

"Master, how are you feeling today?" A unicorn asked as she entered an unkempt bedroom.

An old unicorn stallion rolled over in the bed, and eyed the mare. "Tired. How fares the Princess?"

The mare bowed. "Still grieving. Give her time master. She has had to banish her sister and best friend."

The stallion sighed. "The Sisters are divided, Equestria is broken, the Dream is gone." A white aura appeared around a cup of tea on the nearby table, then it levitated slowly over to the stallion. He took the cup and sipped the tea. "Without a strong leader, the tribes will split apart."

"No master. We can still make this work." The mare exclaimed. "As long as we have your wisdom to guide us."

The stallion set the cup down. "Clover Clover Clover, My time is short. You know the longevity spells can only function for so long."

"But Master Starswirl," Clover pleaded. "What about the immortality spell from your Alicorn Ascension rite?"

Starswirl extended a trembling hoof from under the sheet. "Clover, look at me. Even if I was made immortal, I can barely move as it is."

"Then I will perform it upon myself." Clover replied.

Starswirl looked up at the ceiling. "You know once you take on immortality, you can never give it up again."

"I only need to live long enough to unify Equestria again, correct?" Clover replied. "The concept of a land divided shall be my anchor!" She declared.

Starswirl chuckled. "You plan to restore the Dream by becoming the embodiment of its failure, and control the span of your life by binding it to a concept that you can eradicate. How very clever."

- - -

"And when I reclaim the land, your life shall end?" Luna asked. "Tis hardly fair to reunite with you then seal your doom."

Clover reached out to stroke Luna's cheek. "Luna, do not mourn for me. It is my wish that you and Tia serve as benevolent rulers for your subjects."

"But how can I?" Luna shouted. "Knowing that the moment I reclaim Umbratara, you would die?"

"But that's all I live for, to see you returned to the throne."

"Mother!" Luna pleaded. "You are asking me to kill you."

"I ask for a unified Equestria." Clover retorted. "I can pass away in happiness once that happens."

"And if I refuse?"

Clover sighed. "Then I am stuck here." She turned away. "And Starswirl's plan remains unfinished."

- - -

"And because Zabala LaRoulette had been good to the poor, nopony was willing to testify against her." Cheerilee finished her story. "With no evidence and an impeccable reputation, the court had to let her go."

The fire burned brightly, having grown as Cheerilee told the tale. The three woodland ponies rubbed their bellies in contentment, looking like they had each eaten a large meal. "Such delicious words." The stallion commented.

"I believe that you were going to tell us a story in return." Starsong prodded.

The feather-crested mare let out a warbling whinny. "We owe you that much. You wanted the words about Si'Mu'Ze."

"Yes please." Toola Roola replied.

"Very well then." The stallion shifted to a sitting position. "In the land at the end of the river, there lived a tribe of ponies who were in tune with their elemental gifts..."

- - -

"Young Mu'Ze. Welcome to the Arcanium." A pink pegasus with a purple mane greeted a teal earth pony colt with a white mane. "Here, the Srig'hay will teach you how to tap into the full potential of Pony Magic."

"Thank you, Pedagogi Po'La'Ris." The colt replied. "I hope I prove worthy of the Arcanium's teachings." They headed into the large granite and marble building.

- - -

"Pedagogi Mu'Ze." A white unicorn with a red striped, green mane addressed the teal stallion. "While we appreciate your contributions, we simply cannot provide a workspace for you at this time."

Mu'Ze thought for a moment, then replied. "I know of a valley to the east. I can construct a workspace there and continue my research without taking up the Arcanium's space and resources."

- - -

"Mu'Ze, the other Szrig'hay are concerned about the results of your experiments." A light blue pegasus stated. "There is talk about revoking your status and privilege."

The teal stallion lowered a scroll and pen. "Remove my status? Nonsense Zey'fir'tu'ne! I am far too important to the Arcanium."

The pegasus trotted closer. "We appreciate your contributions to our body of knowledge, but there are some things that are too disturbing to contemplate."

Mu'Ze rubbed around an ear. "I have made great progress in understanding and applying this mana source that I have tapped into."

The pegasus indicated a cage containing a weasel with bat wings grafted onto it's shoulders. "We have seen the results of your research. These fleshcrafting techniques pervert the sanctity of life."

"Bah, I cannot be limited by the discomfort of others!." Mu'Ze went back to writing.

The pegasus turned and left without another word.

- - -

A tri-horned teal unicorn bearing the wings, legs and tail of a dragon, reclined on a padded bench with one raised side. He perked his ears upon hearing some ponies chanting. Rolling onto his feet, he headed for the entrance of his tower. An invisible barrier of force prevented him from passing through the door. "What is this?" He demanded upon spotting several toga-wearing unicorns, pegasi and earth ponies gathered outside.

"S'Mu'Ze, we of the Szrig'hay are confining you to your home, so you cannot perform your vile experiments upon other ponies anymore."

Si'Mu'Ze raised an eyebrow. "Vile, you say? My knowledge has granted me great power." He turned and presented his form. "I can fly faster than a pegasus, lift more than an earth pony, swim better than a merae and perform magic with greater ease than a unicorn." He channeled his magic, and tried to dispel the barrier.

"That ward is powered our most powerful magics, you cannot break it." One of the unicorn mages stated, showing the cut on his fetlock. Si'Mu'Ze looked to the others, seeing similar cuts.on their legs.

"You wish to take away my freedom?" He asked incredulously. "You can have it. In abundance!" He projected a teal light from the three horns he bore upon his brow. The light surrounded the assembly in a teal aura. "As your blood keeps me here, so shall it prevent you from resting! You shall wander the lands of this world, never able to call anyplace your home!"

Several earth pony Srig'hay reached out with their magic, willing the soil to move. Large jagged hills rose from the soil, forming barrier around the small keep. The land around the building sank downwards, forming a bowl-like depression that sagged deeper into the earth with each moment. The hills tilted towards the tower, threatening to topple onto it. The constant rumbling earth broke Si'Mu'Ze's concentration, releasing the group. They bolted back to safety before the rocky hills buried the tower.

- - -

"Wait, wait." Cheerilee interrupted. "Are you saying that the Zigany are the descendants of the Sarmanetians?"

"These are the words we know about Si'Mu'Ze." The flower-maned mare replied. "If they are false, then we ourselves have been deceived."

"At any rate, I think we should get some sleep." Starsong stated, standing up.

"Yes, we thank you for your hospitality, storytellers." Toola Roola added before retrieving the tent and bringing it to Cheerilee.

"Are you gonna stay here?" Starsong asked the three woodland ponies.

"We go to where we're needed." The stallion answered. "Here, there, north, south, east, west."

Cheerilee nodded as she unfurled the tent and began setting it up. "Would you watch over us if we asked you too? We worry about night time predators."

"They cannot touch you, physically or with magic, if you keep silver on you." The flower mare replied.

"You wouldn't stay, even for another story?" Toola Roola asked.

The feathered mare laughed. "Giving us more words and hoping we'll stay, or promising us words if we wait. Both assume a degree of trust that we are not required to follow."

"So we can't trust you, and you don't trust us." Starsong stated.

Such are the ways of the Fae." Cheerilee added.

"Indeed." The stallion began. "But we will cherish your story. Come sisters, let us be off." The three woodland ponies filed out of the clearing, while Cheerilee and Toola Roola finished setting up the tent. Starsong took the first watch, with the promise that she would switch with Cheerilee when she felt tired.

- - -

Princess Luna rested on a large rock, looking up at the moon. The appearance of the pale white orb provided her with a sense of stability. Eternal, unchanging, illuminating. Things that usually brought her comfort. A steady rock which she could depend on. "And I will live as long as it exists..." She mused. "Never aging, never growing old."

"But I do not have that luxury." She heard voice behind her say. Luna turned and watched as Clover ambled towards the rock. "Immortal for me is not the same as unaging."

"Then why didst you take it?" Luna inquired.

"For a cause greater than myself." Clover replied. "Somepony had to make sure that the tribes did not go back to quarreling. That is how we lost so much of our previous home."

"Aye, The lands of the Northern Sea ." Luna replied. "With Crystalia being the last unfrozen remnant."

"But that was lost to us as well." Clover replied. "Part of King Sombras' final revenge when you two banished him to the Abyss."

"It has been returned and reclaimed, but let that pass." Luna waved a hoof. "I grow weary of Equestria being chipped away piecemeal. If I may act to unify it, then I should not hesitate."

Clover nuzzled the alicorn. "Does this mean that you will reclaim Umbratara?"

"I see now that you suffer from the weight of years. To prolong it merely for foalish infatuation would be yet another stain upon my being." Luna flared her wings. "Mother, I love you, and I always shall. And Love is not cruel, Love is kind. I had what they call the Element of Kindness once. And the memory of it's touch shows me what I must do. For you. For Master Starswirl. For Equestria!" She posed and gestured dramatically.

Clover chuckled. "Then go, my daughter. Your Garden of Shadows lays fallow and infested with weeds."

Luna took to the air. "Farewell mother. Mayhap we shall meet again in the end!" She called back. Clover waved till she was out of sight.

"You have an eternity to experience, Lulu." Clover spoke. "And I want to hear every word when we all meet again."

- - -

As the sky slowly lightened, Cheerilee entered the tent and nudged the pink unicorn. "Time to wake up." She stated. Toola Roola opened her eyes, yawned, and looked to Cheerilee.

"You need me to take over now?"

Cheerilee nodded. "Yeah, I thought it best to let you have the morning watch." Toola Roola took a measure of trail mix, then slipped out of the tent to eat. "I heard a few noises, like animals wandering the woods. But nothing came close enough to be a threat." Cheerilee explained.

"That's good." Toola Roola replied. "And Vamponies tend to avoid sunlight if they can." She recalled.

"Well, there''s a mountain range between us and them and we're not in one of the cities, so it's not like they'd be out here looking for us."

Toola Roola chuckled. "Still, It never hurts to be cautious."

"I'm still a little curious about what the Fae told us last night, though." Cheerilee mentioned.

"And what exactly did they tell thee?" Toola Roola asked, her voice blending with another's" Cheerilee jerked her head up and sputtered. "Be not alarmed, Cheerilee, Tis an aspect of our blessing. Thy spouse is unharmed."

"Y-y-y-your Highness?" Cheerilee stared in shock, noticing the indigo aura that encircled Toola Roola's head.

"We shall be brief." Luna replied through Toola Roola. "We have arrived in Umbratara as of last night. Currently, We are in the city of Zeranovice. We are attempting to trace thy location, using the quickest means that we possess."

"By possessing my wife?"

"She doth have my blessing in her blood." Luna replied.

"So this blessing thing. It allows you to speak through your subjects at any time?"

"That is correct." Luna replied. "Tis most effective for proclamations and announcements when I cannot be present."

"Would you be able to possess me, then?"

"Nay, We have not yet performed the ritual to bestow the blessing upon thee." Luna replied. The unicorn slowly gazed around the clearing. "Now, where are we?"

Cheerilee tapped a hoof on the ground. "In a forest south of the Dneighstra river. We were lured to this clearing by forest sprites."

"So there remain fae in our domain, despite the Blight?"

"I think." Cheerilee began, but paused at seeing the possessed unicorn flutter her eyes.

"Ah, we see now." Luna spoke. "Thou wert lured in by their singing, and did exchange stories with them."

Cheerilee smirked. "Are you reading her mind or something, Your Highness?"

"It is only the events that she chooses to share with us." Luna replied. "There be some things that she does not wish for us to see, and we respect this desire for privacy."

Cheerilee nodded. "I'm not sure where we are exactly, But we could go north and hope that we find the river again."

"South." Luna replied. "Your journey needs thee to go south, and the limits of the forest would bring you to the Clopathian mountain range."

"Ok, So we go over the the mountains. That should put us within sight of the Capital."

"Aye. We shall talk again once thou hath passed through the mountains." The aura vanished, then Toola Roola shook her head to clear it.

"Well Toola." Cheerilee began. "I, uh, have some good news."

"I know." The unicorn replied. "I was awake and aware the whole time."

"How does it feel?" Cheerilee asked with curiousity.

"Weird, like a compulsion to say certain things." She replied. "But she did share some knowledge with me."

"Like what?"

"Like why silver is so effective." Toola Roola replied with a grin. "Because it reflects the mana of our foe upon itself."

Cheerilee gave Toola Roola a hug. "I need a little rest first, then we can start our journey."

"Ok, My love." Toola Roola replied. Cheerilee entered the tent while the unicorn stood guard.

- - -

An indigo unicorn paused and leaned against a tree, trying to calm her breathing. ~"Maybe, I can, start over, in another town." She wheezed. She took a map from her saddlebag and unfolded it. ~"Should be a town just over there." She pointed southward.

~"And what have we here?" Another voice called out. ~"A pony, lost and alone in the woods." The declaration was punctuated by a growling chuckle.

~"Perhaps you should fear me, Luquin." The unicorn responded. ~"I may not be a full-fledged Nickerprancer, but I have been their ally. I know a little of their magic."

A cream colored earth pony with sharp teeth and one reptilian eye, stepped out from behind a tree. ~"You are the last, as I am of my pack." She stated. ~"We should work together."

The unicorn chuckled dryly. ~"An alliance sounds tempting, but what chance would we have against Luna's Army?"

The Luquin turned and presented her back. ~"Climb on, I will take you to Lord Zernaba. We may as yet have a chance at victory." The unicorn stowed her map, then climbed onto the Luquin. ~"Hey, watch the hooves."

~"Apologies." The unicorn replied. ~"Do you have a name?"

~"Vonnyvetra. And you?"

~"Zimolez."

~"Hold on, Zimolez." The unicorn gripped her front legs around the Luquin's neck. Once she was secure, Vonnyvetra broke into a sprinting gallop, covering ground quickly.

- - -

I pride myself on the meticulousness of Blood magic is rarely used for frivolous
my research, so it is not often that I matters. Instead, I looked inside...
leave an error in my record. Yet I have There are things sealed in Tartaros. The
made a rather egregious one, that affects Spirit of Strife himself was sealed in stone.
other records as well. The word I have King Sombra, the mad unicorn who was
translated as 'dragon' also has alternate banished to the Abyss. All these are
meanings of 'monster' and 'fiend'. It is terrifying in their own ways. None of that
these definitions that I should have been could have prepared me for what I saw
using. within this buried tower.
I have traveled to the mine within the Forgive me, I cannot describe it within
Clopathian mountains. In addition to the these pages. Thaumicite, the 'Woundrous
shaft that has been dug out by miners, Material' from legends. It is the flesh of this
there is a labyrinth of tunnels that winds creature.
under the plateau hills. Using geospatial I left, unable to stand the sight of it for more
spells, I created a map of my travels, than a few moments. I understand now why
which should be among my records. In the blood ward was placed 'pon the tower.
a tunnel that passes close to the mesa, Elements help us if it ever gets out.
I found the remains of a Pre Discordian There were words engraved upon a small stele
tower. I should have turned back when I outside of the tower. I copied them then left,
sensed the potent ward on the entrance. planning to translate them later.
212 213

I have translated the phrase that I found
engraved on a stele within the mines.
It is a name formed in the Sarmanetian
manner. 'Si'Mu'Ze.' In our tongue,
'Smooze.'














214

Celestia closed the cover of the journal. "Guards." One of the gold clad ponies saluted. "I want a chariot readied as soon as possible. Princess Luna needs me."

"At once, your Majesty." The guard replied before dashing off.

- - -

"...So he finds his marewife's manuscript, and line after line, is says. 'All work and no play makes Jade a dull filly." A purple pegasus finished her story.

A magenta mare shook her head. "Stars, I don't know why the hotel needs to be haunted. There are better ways to trigger a pony's descent into madness."

"Yeah, and besides. You should play to the audience. The big fears currently are Discord and the fae." A pink unicorn added. "Well, Not all fae, just changelings."

The trio continued along a narrow mountain pass as they chatted. "Ok, How about this. A Changeling who lives in a sewer under a small town. It takes on the appearance of a clown and lures children to it's lair."

"Starsong." The unicorn chided. "Nopony likes clowns. It doesn't have to be a changeling to be scary."

The pegasus chuckled. "Point taken. What about you Cheery. Any ideas for a scary story?"

"I do have one." The earth pony began. "The foals of a town band together, rise up against the adults and get rid of them."

"Sounds like a typical day at work for you, Cheerilee." Starsong replied with a giggle.

Cheerilee snickered. "Well, if Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, and the CMC could work together long enough, then they might have a chance against me."

"You know that's not gonna happen." Toola replied. "Even if Diamond Tiara could stand the other foals long enough to band them together, Snips and Snails could still muck up her plans."

Cheerilee nodded. "Don't I know it." They followed a turn in the pass, then stopped. "Looks like we might have to backtrack." She said, glaring at a boulder that blocked the path.

"Nah, we can climb it." Starsong stated. She flew up to investigate. "It's not that big and-oh wow." She landed on the boulder.

"What do you see?" Toola called up to her.

Starsong flew back down. "Cheerilee, get on my back, I'll carry you up first."

"Alright." Cheerilee replied, before climbing onto Starsong's back. The pegasus flew back to the top of the boulder, and allowed Cheerilee to disembark. Starsong then returned for Toola Roola.

Once all three were gathered on top the the boulder, they looked out over the rolling terrain that spanned the space south of the mountain chain. In the distance was a large wide mesa that projected upwards from the land. Overhead, the gray clouds swirled in a circular pattern, centered over the flat level surface of the mesa. Cheerilee took a telescope from her saddlebags and looked through it. "I see it, I see it!" She called over the gusty winds that blew through the valley. She passed the telescope to Toola Roola, who in turn passed it to Starsong after looking through it.

Through the telescope, they could make out the outline of a castle perched near one edge of the mesa. "Nocne Mesta." Toola Roola stated with awe and reverence. "It still stands, even after all this time."

- - -

"Are you certain about this, Your Highness?" Captain Kalterbriss addressed Luna.

"We are most certain about this plan of action, Captain." Luna replied. "Once all the paths have been secured, then we may proceed to Nocne Mesta."

"You know we can't bring the Zeppelins there."

Luna looked upwards to the three flying ships. "But the Pegasi can still fly, e'en in the fierce winds."

"I'll relay the orders for two wings to accompany you and the Bohaymian troops along the south." The captain replied. "I will lead the rest of the army to secure the northern side of the Plateau."

Luna nodded. "Then by tomorrow at the latest, Nocne Mesta will be ours?"

"As far as surface threats go, yes. But from what we have learned, our real enemy is still in the mine."

Luna turned her gaze westward. "This land. I can feel the mana trying to connect with me, but I cannot yet allow that. Not until the Blight is removed."

"You can count on us, Your Highness." Captain Kalterbriss replied with a salute. Luna returned the salute, then the Captain departed.

"Luna, Wait!" The dark blue alicorn turned and looked to see a chariot approaching.

"Celestia?" She stared in disbelief. As the chariot slowed to land, Celestia hopped off and glided over to her sister. "What cause brings you here? I be on the precipice of completing this endeavor."

Celestia exchanged nuzzles with Luna, then spoke. "No you're not Luna, that's what I came to tell you." She retrieved a scroll from a saddlebag. "If this is any indication, then you're going to need my help."

Luna took the scroll and read through it. An image flashed in her mind, causing her to shudder. "We...we must eradicate every last piece!" She declared firmly. "By fire and silver! Leave not e'en the smallest fragment!"

"As you wish, your highness!" The Captain called back, having overheard.

- - -

"You know what this mountain needs? Stairs."

"You gonna build them, Starsong?" A magenta pony retorted, slowly making her way down the slope. A light pink unicorn followed her, while Starsong hovered nearby, ready to catch them if they slipped.

"We can put that under part of the public works program." She replied with a chuckle. "Community service and all."

"Speaking of which." Toola Roola began. "I wonder if Luna will enact her own laws, or simply copy Celestia's current set."

"What difference would it make?" Starsong asked.

"The difference?" Cheerilee began. "Just that laws explicitly stated to apply to the nation, are applicable to the nation. The rest only serve in Eastern Equestria, what they call the lands of the sun." A sudden hissing inhale drew Starsong and Cheerilees' attention to Toola Roola. They noticed the indigo aura around her head. "Greetings Princess." Cheerilee addressed her before she had a chance to speak.

"We apologize for this sudden intrusion, but there has been a change of plans."

Starsong settled on a small rocky outcropping. "I wasn't aware that there was an original plan to change."

Luna ignored the comment. "Princess Celestia has taken it upon herself to join us in this endeavor."

"What?" Cheerilee and Starsong exchanged glances. "Then who's running the nation?"

"Tis only for a brief time." Luna replied. "Sister is leading part of the Reiten army north to the mines." She looked towards the northeast. "Which is about five or six mountains away from here. Tis difficult to get an accurate count from here." She pointed due south. "And We are leading the Bohaymian and the rest of the Reiten forces to Buckarest, to secure the southern pass. Since the three of thee hath dispatched the Vodyanoi threat of the north, and the last of the Luquins hath been defeated, we need not worry about them anymore."

"Alright, so what do you want us to do, Your Highness?" Cheerilee inquired.

"The three of thee are to head to Nocne Mesta." There is an entrance at the base of the mesa." She pointed to the tall rock jutting from the land. "We wish to know the condition of the Capital."

"Anything else, Your Highness?"

Luna thought for a moment, then replied. "There be one thing we wish for thee to think about. We are offering to provide a home for thee here in Umbratara."

"But we alread-" Luna raised one of Toola's hooves, ending the protest.

"Take it under consideration." She stated, before the aura vanished.

As Toola Roola shook her head to clear it, Starsong chuckled. "What's funny?" The unicorn asked.

"You know how you played the role of Luna, back in Canterlot County?"

"Yeah, so?"

"In Umbratara, Luna played you." Starsong pointed with both front hooves. Cheerilee gave a brief smirk.

"I give it A for effort, and D minus for content." She stated. "Don't give up your day job."

"Gotta get one first, before I can decide whether or not to give it up." The purple pegasus replied with a smirk.

- - -

Celestia unrolled the old map that she brought with her. "Captain. I share the pegasi's collective dislike of enclosed and underground areas. So forgive me for what I am about to ask."

"Your Majesty." The Captain saluted. "My particular flight has trained in the County of Careinia."

Celestia nodded. "Plenty of mountains and caves in that region." She looked at the map. "Still, We'll be underground for a while."

The captain looked at the map. "Already I can see a problem with a direct assault. Too many branching tunnels."

Celestia looked to the Captain. "You're worried about rear attacks?"

"We don't know what's in there, and I'm hesitant to send a scout team to investigate."

Celestia looked up from the map to the large cavern before her. The gaping hole was rimmed with scorch marks and blackened lumps where the soldiers had burned away chunks of Thaumicite. "Then we won't send scouts, we'll raze the tunnels as we move."

"So we'll burn our way to the goal?" Captain Kalterbriss chuckled. "Your Majesty does have a reputation for fire-based strategies."

Celestia grinned. "It's effective and efficient. Qualities that your nation cherishes."

The Captain bowed. "You know us well, your Majesty."

"Then we begin at moonrise."

- - -

"There's a town just over the next hill!" Starsong called down to her companions. "I don't see anypony there, though!"

"About how big?" Cheerilee asked.

"About as big as Ponyville!"

Cheerilee and Toola Roola reached the top of the hill, then looked down. There was a cluster of stone buildings, arranged around a circular cobblestone road. "Well, it's shelter at least!" Cheerilee stated. "Let's get inside and out of this wind!"

The trio hurried down the hillside then made there way to one of the larger buildings. Finding the door unbarred, they headed inside. "Looks like a larger family home." Starsong commented, indicating the hallway that lead way from main room.

Cheerilee removed her armor then took out a small bundle of sticks and her flint rocks from her pack. She started a fire in the hearth, then took out some vegetables, a canteen of water, and a small pan. "I think we should rest here. Have dinner and maybe take a short nap before we move on."

"You sure? We're only a few miles from Nocne Mesta." Toola Roola stated. "Maybe we could rest there."

"The sun's setting." Cheerilee replied. "It's not wise to be out after dark." She poured some water into the pot, then set it to boil.

"Good point." Toola Roola replied. "I'll go check out the back rooms, while you get dinner ready."

"Alright, Watch yourself though, this place looks ready to fall apart." As Toola Roola headed down the hallway, Cheerilee motioned Starsong closer. "Have you noticed anything odd about this whole situation?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean how everything has come out in our favor. The Nickerprancers, Luquins and Vodyanoi were taken out like nothing, even though there was all these fears and stories built up around them."

"That's because we had silver." Starsong replied.

"It's not just that." Cheerilee said while stirring the pot.. "Why have they stayed here, instead of heading to The Barkans, Loshadki and the Sun lands? What's keeping them here?"

"Think it might be Zernaba?" Starsong rubbed her neck with a hoof.

"Here's what I'm thinking." Cheerilee began. "They need something from him to survive. They depend on him. Maybe the mana that he's tapped into."

"How do you figure?"

"How did you feel after you drank Baba Yaga's herbal medicine?"

"Well, First I felt sick to my stomach, so I-" Cheerilee cut her off.

"No after that."

"Hungry. Really really hungry, like I hadn't eaten in over a day."

"Because the only thing you ate when you were a Luquin was a squirrel, and the chunks of that showed no signs of digestion."

Starsong thought for a moment. "Cheerilee, can I tell you something?"

Cheerilee turned and added some vegetables to the boiling water. "Go ahead."

"I, I was never hungry. I attacked it because, I felt angry towards it for some reason."

Cheerilee nodded. "Yeah, anger, I noticed that that was a common trait among the Luquins. Their general, that dragon-eyed one, the whole lot of them. Just anger and hatred."

A scream drew their attention to the back of the house. "Toola!" Starsong shouted as she dashed down the hall, Cheerilee following close behind. An open door in the hallway showed a set of stairs that lead down into a cellar. In the cellar, the two found Toola Roola pinned on her back by an aged pony, who seemed to be biting her neck. The unicorn moaned and whimpered around the other pony's fetlock which had been shoved into her mouth, as she struggled to get free. Cheerilee charged, ramming the pony off of Toola Roola. The pony turned and hissed in annoyance, exposing bloodstained fangs. Cheerilee headbutted the pony with her silver helmet, eliciting a scream of agony from the pony as the metal seared its flesh. The pony shoved her aside, then skittered towards the stairs. Starsong, having loaded a silver arrow into her springbow, fired. The arrow caught the pony in the neck, making it scream again.

"Starsong, Kill it!" Cheerilee shouted as she rolled to her feet. Starsong drew another arrow, then with an underhoof swing, jabbed the pony in the chin, piercing the bottom of the mouth. It collapsed, then began scrabbling away, shrieking loudly.

"Yeah, Buck you too!" Starsong snapped, loading an arrow into her springbow. She closed the distance to the pony, then fired into the side of its chest. The creature fell silent and still. "I...think it's dead." She turned and saw Cheerilee cradling Toola Roola's body.

"No, please, Toola, don't die." Cheerilee fought back a sob as she took one of her ribbons and began tying it around the unicorn's neck.

"Cheerilee, I'm sorry." Starsong stated, lowering her weapon.

"Was that the only one?" Cheerilee asked as she knotted the ribbon.

"No." Toola Roola stated before bearing her fangs and lunging for Cheerilee.