• Published 12th Oct 2012
  • 1,931 Views, 82 Comments

My Little Teelo: Winter's Silence - Ardwolf



Teelo thought Nightmare Discord was the worst thing that could ever hit Equestria. She was wrong...

  • ...
4
 82
 1,931

Loose Ends

In which we discover there is no happily ever after.


As they entered the castle Faerie Mist intercepted them and she did not look happy. She just bade them follow her to Princess Luna’s chambers and marched off without waiting to see if they would follow.

“What’s going on?” Twilight Sparkle asked worriedly. “The threat is over, Tišina’s been dealt with.”

“The threat from Tišina is over.” Faerie Mist growled.

“There’s another threat?” Twilight asked in bewilderment.

“Oh yes. There’s always another threat, Twilight Sparkle. Princess Celestia needs all of you to help deal with this one.” The pegasus replied as she stalked along angrily. “You’re the last to arrive, so now we can hopefully resolve this once and for all.”

“Resolve what?” Twilight asked plaintively.

“I’m not at liberty to say.” Faerie Mist said. “But trust me. Once we arrive I won’t have to say anything.” The last word was snarled.

The pegasus had set a stiff pace, making Teagan almost break into a run to keep up. That was why they reached Luna’s chambers before many more questions could be asked and ignored.

Teagan was surprised but pleased to see Sun Hammer standing in the corridor waiting for them. The large pony responded to her glomping with a chuckle and an affectionate nuzzling.

“Ready yerself, lassie. Twill nae be couthie, the brae before us.” Sun Hammer said as they separated.

“Huh?” Teagan asked. “I didn’t understand a word of that.”

“The Troll King be here, lass. Sitting wi’ the Princesses beyond this door. He demands tae see the twa o’ us. Tae settle awthing.”

“Settle how?” Teagan asked, heart sinking.

“Dinnae ken.” Sun Hammer shook his head. “Reckon he owes us fer Cuddles an’ Tišina. An mayhap ye owe him fer Crush.”

Teagan sighed. “I had hoped to avoid this.”

“Aye. But truly the reckonin’ be late, so it be. Debts need payin’. Cannae lay fallow for e’er, ye ken?”

“I ken.” Teagan took a deep breath. “Matt, I have a feeling things might get a little tense. Especially if he demands Crush back. But I’m gonna try to keep it diplomatic.”

“Your track record for diplomacy kinda sucks, Squirt.” Matt said in a serious voice. “Stay frosty. This is a king you’re going to talk to. A troll king. You piss him off he might actually try to kill you. Then the ponies will pile in and it’s bye-bye peaceful coexistence, hello hell on earth.”

“So, no pressure then.” Teagan said sarcastically.

He grinned, that special crazy grin. “Nope. Make me proud, Squirt. Twilight, you and your friends stay out of this. I know your instinct is to help Teelo, but this is something she needs to do by herself. As for you, Sun Hammer—” He paused. “—just try not to kill anybody.”

Sun Hammer snorted in amusement.

“Dinnae fash yourself, Matthew. Oh aye, Himself will blaw an bluster, aw thunder an fury, wi’ flashin’ teeth aplenty but nary a real nibble tae be found. He knows troll law dinnae hold here, but twill act like it dae. A ken the gemme, Matthew. Twa can play, so they can.”

He turned and nodded to the two unicorn door guards. Their horns lit up and the door opened.

Inside they found the two princesses, the Snøskred, the Alene, a second troll dressed like the Alene, and a gigantic troll that towered a full head above the Snøskred. Oddly there was no sign of Evelyn or Subtle Dancer.

The giant troll was dripping in gold; his harness glittered with inlaid gems. On his head was a strange golden helmet that left his face and the top of his head bare. She had no doubt this was the troll king. His expression turned thunderous on catching sight of them, although he said nothing.

Behind them the doors swung shut.

“Welcome back, everyone.” Princess Celestia said warmly, coming to her hooves. Still scowling the troll king also rose, forcing everyone else to rise as well.

“We received word of Tišina’s defeat. I am delighted the threat has ended and relieved that none of you were hurt in the process. I am very grateful you saved Equestria and kept my little ponies safe. Thank you so much for what you have done!”

The words were simple, but the alicorn’s smile was warm and genuine

“Now that the threat of Tišina has been dealt with I fear other matters have arisen. Before you enjoy a well deserved rest we must settle them. Beside me stands Kongen Fjell, the king of all trolls. To his right is Alene Avgrunn, his advisor. I will allow the Kongen to explain.” Princess Celestia took a full step back.

The Kongen glared at them.

“I speak only to Sun Hammer, murderer of my father, and Lady Teagan, thief of Mountain Heart.” He snarled. “I hold the others standing before me blameless But you criminals, hear me and mark my words well!”

Teagan felt herself flush with anger, but she forced herself to relax, the endless hours of taming her temper coming to the fore. She reminded herself Sun Hammer had killed the troll’s father and the ponies had taken Crush, which didn’t belong to them, and then given it to her, technically making her the recipient of stolen property.

“I acknowledge my debt to you,” The Kongen said through gritted teeth. “Alene Dalen and Snøskred Mot Lyn both revealed your part in ending a grievous threat to every living creature in this world. Had not Tišina been defeated nothing would have survived. Indeed, our prophecies foretold the end of the world at her claws. That you averted the prophecy is a miracle. The world owes you its life and I am in your debt.”

“Sun Hammer, to pay my debt I will no longer seek your death. I do not forgive what you did, but neither I, nor any troll living today, nor any troll born in the future, will ever seek revenge for the deed you did that day.”

“Lady Teagan, for your part in this you may have any boon within my power, save one. You must return Mountain Heart to me right now.”

The troll stood glaring at her, waiting.

“Any boon?” Teagan raised an eyebrow. The troll king nodded.

“Any boon, save Mountain Heart itself.” He affirmed.

“Then I know what I want. I want you to let me tell you the truth.” She said. “That is the boon I ask.”

She saw both the Snøskred and Alene Dalen stiffen. The king’s advisor glanced at them and his eyes immediately flicked back to her. Teagan was too busy staring down the troll king to notice, but Matt did.

“I am always open to the truth, Lady Teagan.” The Kongen said after a moment. “Surely you would not waste your boon on something I would give you anyway.”

“Princess Celestia, do you know a spell that prevents someone from lying?” Teagan asked, still watching the king.

“I do.” The princess said.

“Kongen, if I ask her to cast that spell on me would you trust that she’d actually done it?” Teagan asked him.

He glanced at his advisor.

“I would recognize such a spell and its target. Further, I will know the instant the spell ends.” The small troll said, watching Teagan with interest.

“Very well.” The Kongen said. “Why would you do this, Lady Teagan?”

“Because you have to believe every word I’m about to tell you. Princess, if you’d be so kind?”

“As you wish, Lady Teelo.” Celestia’s horn glowed for a moment, and Teagan felt something like an electric current prickle her skin.

The sensation wasn’t unpleasant and it faded after a few moments.

“The spell is in place.” The alicorn announced. “Lady Teelo will be unable to lie until I release the magic.”

“I concur.” The king’s advisor nodded.

“So. What is this truth I must believe?” The troll king asked curiously, no longer scowling.

“Crush, the club you call Mountain Heart is not property. It isn’t a thing you can own. Crush is a sentient being. I didn’t steal it. I asked it to help me and it chose to do so, of its own free will. For the rest of my life, Your Majesty. It will not serve you. It told me that.”

“It told you?” The Kongen looked shocked. He turned to his advisor. “Is the spell working? Is she telling the truth?”

“She is, sire.” The Alene was visibly shocked as well.

“Bevis Mot Lyn! Did you know of this?” The troll king demanded angrily.

“Only for the last day, Your Majesty.” The Snøskred replied. “I was still contemplating the implications before I told you. Mountain Heart has become one with her.”

“Wait, what?” Teagan blinked. “What are you talking about?”

“She truly does not know, Your Majesty.” Alene Avgrunn spoke up, watching Teagan with deepening interest.

“Know what? What do you mean Crush has become one with me?” Teagan demanded, exasperated.

“Tell me, Lady Teagan, do you hear Mountain Heart’s voice in your mind?” Alene Avgrunn asked mildly. “Can you see its eyes?”

“Of course. I’ve been able to ever since Crush agreed to serve me. So?” Teagan asked, not seeing the big deal. It was a magic club. That explained any weirdness as far as she was concerned.

The king and his advisor exchanged an incredulous glance.

“She has no idea what she has done, Your Majesty. Her confusion is genuine.” Alene Avgrunn confirmed.

“Will somebody please tell me what’s going on?” Teagan demanded. Luna and Celestia watched silently, although a small smile was playing around Celestia’s muzzle. Luna’s eyes were sparkling.

“You have bonded with Mountain Heart.” The king said wonderingly. “You are a hero who has saved the world and become one with Mountain Heart. Yet you are not a troll.”

“Hey, I had lots and lots of help saving the world! Not to mention I got lucky.” Teagan said hastily, not liking the direction this conversation was taking.

“The arrangements should be made quickly, Your Majesty.” His advisor said. “As soon as we can return to the mountains.”

“Of—of course.” The troll king was looking at her with a combination of wonder and—revulsion? Teagan definitely didn’t like the vibes coming off him.

“Ok, look. This is obviously some troll thing that I haven’t got a clue about. How about one of you explain it to me? Using small words?” Teagan asked, feeling her temper starting to fray.

“We must wed.” The troll king said flatly. “It is the only solution to this—situation.”

The silence was deafening.

“Yay! Teelo’s going to be a queen!” Pinkie squealed with delight. “Dibs on throwing the Royal Wedding Reception!”

ooOoo

Matt tensed in case violence was about to ensue. He needn’t have worried. Teagan was too busy gaping at the troll king in disbelief. The silence continued as the king gazed at Teagan and the girl just stared back with her mouth open.

She finally recovered.

Did a rock fall on your head?” She screeched. “Are you insane? You’re a troll! I’m a human! How exactly do you think that’s going to work? No! No, I won’t marry you! Besides, I couldn’t if I wanted to. I’m not an adult yet!”

“You are Dronning Av Fjellet. The Queen of the Mountain. Queen of all trolls. I have said this.” Alene Avgrunn spoke in a slow deep voice. “As such it is only natural you should marry the Kongen.”

“And how exactly am I the troll queen, Alene? I’m human. Look at me! He weighs ten times what I do and he’s twice as tall!” Teagan threw up her hands in exasperation that was rapidly turning to fury. “This place is crazy. First I’m some kind of scion of my clan, and everybody and their uncle calls me Lady Teagan! Now I’m queen of the freaking trolls? What’s next? Some angel comes down from heaven and announces I’m a goddess? Last time I looked I was just a high school girl in trouble way over her head, trying to save her friends and not get killed doing it!”

“Lady Teagan, may I explain?” Alene Dalen spoke up.

“Yes! Please.” Teagan spun to face him.

“You bonded with Mountain Heart. You have become one with it. That means you can speak with it and see its eyes in your soul. Only the king or queen has that power. By bonding with it you have proven you are the queen. For if you were not, you could not have bonded. The truth of it is undeniable.”

He bowed. “Your Majesty, Mountain Heart is inextricably intertwined with your soul. Only death will sever the bond.”

Teagan blanched, truly frightened. She hadn’t been terribly religious before being abducted, but she’d spent a lot of time praying since then. The thought of something wrapped around her soul horrified her.

She was possessed. Crush had possessed her!

Just like Cerise had Pinkie…and Crush was at least as amoral as Cerise. She knew Crush didn’t care who it killed, or even if it killed. It was a weapon and didn’t bother itself about good or evil. That was her job. She suddenly remembered how it had urged her to kill the Snøskred.

Just like demons were famous for doing. Oh boy.

“Your Majesty, you must understand the Kongen did not pursue Mountain Heart from revenge or greed. Nor is it merely a symbol of his kingship. In fact trolls do not deal well with symbolism. We find it confusing and dangerous. No, when trolls named your club Mountain Heart they were being quite literal.”

“I don’t understand.” Teagan said after a moment.

“The main cavern in the troll city of Hejm is very large and magnificent, Your Majesty. It is over three miles long and two hundred feet tall. It is not a natural cavern, however. It is, in fact, the hole left when Mountain Heart was made. That’s why your club is named Mountain Heart. Because that’s what it is. Literally, the heart of a mountain. As such, it is the soul of troll civilization, it is our crowning achievement.”

Teagan shook her head to clear it.

“Wait. There’s who knows how many tons of rock inside Crush? Three miles worth?”

“Yes.” The Alene said simply.

“You have said this?” She asked, not really knowing what else to say.

“I have said this.” He replied.

“Forgive us for intruding, Alene Avgrunn, but would we be correct in assuming that thou art an expert on troll law?” Princess Luna spoke for the first time.

“I am, Your Highness.” The Alene bowed his head.

“Does troll law demand that the King and the Queen actually be married?” Luna’s face was serene, her tone innocent.

The Alene started to answer, and then paused. His face grew thoughtful.

“I know of no law that states the King and Queen must be wed. It has simply always been so. The wielder of Mountain Heart rules and their spouse is the other monarch.”

“Yet, and forgive us for we obviously do not know the intricacies of troll law, if it is not written then is it the law?” Luna asked, voice still level, expressing only polite curiosity.

“It is not, Your Highness.” Alene Avgrunn admitted.

“There is also the matter of an heir.” Princess Celestia said musingly. Teagan flinched and the troll king winced. Matt kept his face carefully blank, mindful that laughing would not be helpful…

“Happily, there is a well defined procedure to cover that eventuality.” Alene Avgrunn said smoothly. “Adoption is acceptable where the sovereigns cannot have children of their own.”

“Forgive us if we stray into sensitive matters,” Luna continued, “but should Her Majesty return to her own world, is it not also true nothing prevents His Majesty from taking a wife as consort, thus providing an heir to the throne while Her Majesty attends to other matters?”

“That—is lawful.” The Alene’s face held the ghost of a smile.

“Further, if we may be so bold, should Her Majesty’s duties prevent her from returning to Hejm for several decades, troll law allows the King to rule in her absence?”

“Also true.”

“Then may we respectfully suggest the matter has resolved itself?” Luna asked politely.

“It would seem so, Your Highness. My thanks for your insight. You have been most helpful.” Avgrunn bowed to the blue alicorn, who dipped her head in response.

“The matter is not resolved.” The Kongen said with a growl. Everyone looked at him in surprise.

“This is not honorable, Avgrunn!” He snapped. “It is trickery and deceit!”

“Your Majesty, may I speak?” Teagan asked.

“Of course, my queen.” He said, nodding his head respectfully. Teagan winced but plowed on before things got any more out of hand.

“Do you really want to marry me?” She asked.

“My desires are irrelevant, my queen. It is always a question of what is best for the kingdom.” He said stiffly.

“By your laws, as the wielder of Crush, I’m the ruler of the trolls, right?”

“You are.” He nodded.

“You’ve been trained from birth to be king. You know the laws. You know how trolls think. You’ve been ruling for years already. But, if I demanded it, you would have to renounce the throne wouldn’t you? Do you really think that would be in the best interest of the trolls?”

“I do not.” He answered, watching her carefully.

“Then why are you fighting this? It’s the best solution for the trolls. I don’t know how to be a queen. I can barely keep my room clean, much less run a kingdom! But you’re telling me the law says I have to be the queen. Ok, fine, I’m the queen. But let me be the queen living in my world while the king safeguards his subjects here in this one. Isn’t that your duty? To guard your kingdom from harm?”

“To guard our kingdom, my queen.” He corrected. Then he sighed.

“The Princess has not released her spell, so I know you must speak the truth. How is it that the truth can sound so much like a lie?”

Straightening, he turned to Princess Celestia.

“I would ask you cast the truth spell upon me as well, Princess. My queen and I need to confer in private, and it must be as equals, each of us trusting the other speaks only truth.”

“Of course, Your Majesty.” Her horn lit up, but Alene Avgrunn stepped between them.

“Your Majesty, is this wise? Allowing a pony to cast a spell on you?”

“It may not be wise, my friend, but it is what must be. Stand aside.” The troll king said sternly.

“As you command, Kongen Fjell.” The Alene bowed and stepped back.

ooOoo

“Would you care for something to drink, my queen?” The troll king asked politely.

“No, thank you. By the way, it makes me a little uncomfortable for you to say ‘my queen’ like that. It sounds—romantic. I want to keep our relationship friendly, but purely professional.” Teagan said.

The two of them were in the conference room of the Ghrian Suite an hour later. Apparently protocol demanded the king’s entourage occupy the suite. However, Teagan was now the troll queen (at least technically) so she was keeping her room in the suite as well, while the Bearers were given other quarters.

Frankly she’d rather have roomed with Fluttershy. The situation was uncomfortable enough without having to share a suite with a troll who had expected her to marry him…

“As you wish, Dronning Teagan.” The king said smoothly. “I must confess some relief that we will not actually have to marry. I would do so for the good of the kingdom but—”

“Yeah. I imagine I’m pretty hideous by troll standards.” Teagan chuckled.

“You are so—tiny.” The king admitted. “Fragile. I would be afraid to even touch you, lest you shatter like sugar crystal. Although your nose is quite attractive.”

“My nose? Jeez, my nose is huge! It’s the thing I hate most about my face. I really like my eyes though.”

“Trolls do not find eyes that attractive.” The king said. “A strongly boned face, a large shapely nose—these things mark a comely female.”

“I can’t say you’re handsome by human standards, Your Majesty.” Teagan said carefully. “But I can say you’re really impressive. If I had to describe you with one word it would be powerful.”

“That is a compliment among trolls.” He smiled. “But enough of pleasantries, Dronning Teagan. There are things about you I must know, and surely you have questions for me as well. We should build a foundation of trust now, while the magic lasts. You did well to have the Princess cast the truth spell on you. I doubt I could have believed you otherwise.”

“Trolls value honesty a lot, don’t they?” Teagan asked.

“Of course. Humans do not?” He asked, raising an eyebrow. “Are members of your species liars then?”

“Oh my God! You have no idea.” Teagan shook her head. “I mean, sure, there are some humans that would never lie. But most of us do it all the time. I can’t tell you how refreshing it is to meet someone who means what they say and isn’t afraid to tell it like it is, consequences be damned. I loved the way you insisted on having a truth spell cast on you. You didn’t have to do that. But I’m glad you did. Thank you.”

“We must meet as equals, you and I.” The king replied. “If the wielder of Mountain Heart dared a pony’s magic I could do no less. In all truth, this makes it easier to do what we must. What are your intentions toward the trolls, Dronning Teagan?”

“I want the trolls and the ponies to be friends, Your Majesty. No more feuding. I trust Princess Celestia. She doesn’t want to hurt the trolls. She wants for ponies what you want for trolls. To keep them safe. But if trolls attacked Equestria she would fight. And that would be a tragedy for both sides.”

“The fight against Tišina proved that ponies and trolls can work together. Without the trolls Tišina would have won. But the pegasi saved us all from Cuddles. Unicorn magic found Tišina and helped defeat her. The earth ponies were the backbone of the expedition. Without them we wouldn’t have been able to move those bombs fast enough.”

“That’s what I want. Peace. Cooperation. Not fighting.” Teagan said firmly.

“Well said, Dronning Teagan. How is it that the wielder of Mountain Heart is so well disposed to the ponies? Surely as the troll queen you should champion the trolls?”

“The ponies saved my life.” Teagan said. “Princess Celestia personally kept me from bleeding to death. Fluttershy took me in and tended me, even though to her I was a big scary monster. The Bearers fought with me to save the world from Discord. Rarity made these clothes I’m wearing, even though I couldn’t pay her, just because I needed them. Ponies are nice, Your Majesty. But they aren’t weak. I’m thinking you could do much worse than having Princess Celestia as an ally.”

“Yet Princess Celestia is the cause of my father’s death.” The king said darkly. “Though Sun Hammer struck the fatal blow the ponies wouldn’t have been there if the Princess hadn’t brought them.”

“Sun Hammer said she was doing something to safeguard the world.” Teagan said. “I don’t know exactly what it was but I’m sure if you asked her she’d explain. If you want my opinion the real culprit in that sorry mess was the troll councilor.”

“What?” The king asked, surprised.

“I asked the Alene to tell me the troll’s side of the story. He said I wouldn’t know the names so he didn’t give me any, but he said one of the council members used the pony’s presence to even old scores. He arranged matters so the king had to drive off the ponies. Since they proved too strong to drive away, the Alene said the king was honor bound to kill Princess Celestia.”

The king’s eyes narrowed.

“I have studied the records of that day, Dronning Teagan until they are burned into my soul. If you have any clue I can use to know which council member arranged for my father’s death, then give it to me.” He growled.

“The Alene said the council member hadn’t done anything illegal. He says nobody on either side imagined Sun Hammer would kill your father. But from the way Sun Hammer described it, it was a fight to the finish. And they both knew it.”

“My father only wielded Mountain Heart in battle when he had no other choice. If he used it against Sun Hammer then yes, he intended to kill him.” The troll agreed.

“I’m going to say something you may not want to hear about Crush.” Teagan warned him.

“Surely I know Mountain Heart better than you do?” The king smiled. “I have studied the lore surrounding Mountain Heart since I was a child. Nothing you say could surprise me.”

Teagan shook her head. “Want to bet? Did you know Crush is a demon?”

The king stiffened.

“What do you mean?” He asked carefully.

“I don’t know that for certain, but it sure acts like one. On the flight back to Canterlot the Snøskred asked me a question that might have been interpreted as a threat. Crush told me I should kill him. Now I know Crush is a weapon, and that’s what weapons do. But Crush has the same lack of morals as the two other demons I’ve encountered in Equestria. On top of which Crush has possessed me. Just like those other two demons possessed their hosts.”

“Possessed you?” The king asked incredulously.

Teagan nodded. “You call it the bonding, but Crush is wrapped around my soul according to the Alene. Intertwined, he said. A link only death can sever. And that’s the textbook definition of possession.”

“Are you saying Mountain Heart is evil?” The king asked skeptically.

“No. I’ve had a lot of time to think about demons over the last year. The ones I’ve met weren’t really evil. Not even Nightmare. They’re just amoral. They don’t care. If they can get what they want without killing, they do that. But they don’t hesitate to kill if that’s what it takes. Or even do worse.”

“Worse than killing? What is worse than murder?” The king asked, frowning.

“Torturing an innocent to death over the span of two days, just to destroy a magical artifact.” Teagan said quietly.

The troll’s eyes widened just a bit. “A demon did that?”

Would have done that if I hadn’t stopped it.” Teagan replied. “Actually, it possessed Discord and was going to have him do it.”

“And you don’t believe that was evil?” The king looked at her, totally aghast. The sight of a ten foot tall slab of muscle, teeth, and claws looking horror stricken should have been funny but Teagan wasn’t laughing.

“No I don’t. Remember, Nightmare didn’t care. If something else would have worked Nightmare would have done that. True evil is when someone doesn’t have to cause pain and death, but prefers it over other ways, even if it doesn’t work as well. An amoral person does what works best. They just don’t have any limits.”

“That is a subtle distinction, Dronning Teagan.” The king said, shaken. “Have humans encountered so much evil they can distinguish it from this amorality you speak of? The Snøskred told me of the weapons humans possess. Such horrible things and yet your own people used them in war. Looking at you now I can scarcely credit it. How could such a tiny creature as you be heir to such power?”

“I’m not.” Teagan shook her head. “Nukes aren’t something the average person ever sees, much less uses.”

“Yet your species has used them. And you are human, are you not?” The king asked shrewdly.

“Humans used two, Your Majesty. Two as in two single bombs. That was a long time before I was born. Before we really understood how bad they were. They’ve never been used since.”

“Trolls would never have used them in the first place.” The king said righteously.

Teagan tilted her head.

“I know the truth spell is still working, so you clearly believe that. But I’m under the same spell, so believe me when I tell you the bombs seemed like the best option at the time. The alternatives would have been worse.”

“That is hard to believe, even given the truth spell.” He said dubiously.

“I know. They’ve been debating it for sixty years.” Teagan said. “And they’ll keep on debating it long after I’m gone.”

“We have wandered far from home, Dronning Teagan. Let us return to more important issues.”

“Agreed. You know, this whole name thing is getting silly. Just call me Teelo. That’s what people I like call me.”

“You like me then?” He asked, surprised. “Given how forcefully you rejected my proposal I had assumed you found me distasteful.”

“No, you just shocked me.” Teagan chuckled. “I tend to react badly when I’m surprised like that. I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings.”

“Affairs of state require one to overlook such things. But I thank you for your apology. I too am sorry. I was just trying to make the best of an impossible situation.”

“Yeah, this is crazy all right.” Teagan shook her head. “And it keeps getting crazier every time I turn around.”

She stood up.

“Ok, let’s make this simple. I like you. I think you’re the best choice to rule the trolls. I like the ponies too, and I trust them. I’ve lived with them, fought beside them, saved them and been saved by them.”

“I like the Snøskred and the Alene too. Alene Dalen, I mean. I’d be dead if it wasn’t for the two of them. I trust them.

“So I think it would be a really good idea if the trolls and the ponies got together. I know trolls and ponies are really different, but each side has a lot to offer the other. I’m not naïve enough to think it’ll happen overnight, but surely it wouldn’t hurt to get to know each other? It’s bound to be safer than the edge of war you’ve been on for years, right?”

The king chuckled. “True. It will not be easy. Too many trolls remember Sun Hammer. But something might be done.”

“There’s something else I need to say you won’t like.” Teagan grew somber.

“Better a bitter truth than a sweet lie.” The king said. “Speak.”

“You do realize if your father had managed to kill Princess Celestia the world would have ended, right? I’m sorry he died. I truly am. It shouldn’t have happened. But Sun Hammer saved the world that day.” Teagan spoke softly, staring up at the still seated troll. She put a hand on his arm, feeling the warm skin under her fingers, skin that covered rock hard muscle and massive bone.

The king’s gaze was impassive as he stared down at her.

“A bitter truth indeed.” He finally said. “My mind accepts the truth of your words, my queen, but my heart screams in anguish.”

“I wish I could help you.” Teagan said watching him. “Every time I think about that fight I just want to cry. It was such a horrible waste. Your father died and Sun Hammer might as well have. He’s been shunned by every pony except the princesses since the day it happened. All for nothing. Everybody lost, your father, Sun Hammer, the trolls, the ponies...” She shook her head.

“Nothing will bring back my father.” The king said. “The past cannot be changed, no matter how much we might wish it.”

“True.” Teagan agreed. “That doesn’t mean we can’t try to make the future better though. I’m told trolls are stubborn creatures, Your Majesty. Is that true?”

“My name is Fjell.” The king said. “I would be honored if you would use it. And yes, trolls are very stubborn. Although we prefer to say strong willed and resolute.” He smiled. “However it is said, it amounts to the same thing.”

“Don’t let your father’s death be in vain.” Teagan said quietly. “Honor his memory. Recognize Sun Hammer was as much a victim as your father was. Be strong enough to follow the truth. And build a better world for your trolls.”

“For our trolls, Teelo.” He said.

“I guess you’re right. Our trolls.” Teelo said, feeling the weight of more unsought responsibility land on her shoulders.

“You came back to this world to help the ponies, Teelo.” The king said, watching her steadily. “Would you come back for the trolls?”

“I came back to help my friends, Fjell.” She corrected him. “Friends who helped me when I needed it. How could I abandon them when they needed me?”

She chuckled as she realized something.

“You know what? If you need my help, I’ll come back. I promise. But there’s one little problem…”

ooOoo

Luna and Celestia stood in Luna’s bed chamber, their heads lowered conspiratorially over a scrying crystal.

“Ah.” Celestia chuckled. “It seems Her Majesty has a natural talent for politics after all.”

“So it would seem, sister.” Luna agreed. “Should we be doing this? Spying on Lady Teelo?”

“We’re not spying, Luna!” Celestia protested. “We’re keeping watch over her, doing our part to keep faith with Clan O’Gara. Remember what Sun Hammer said about Lady Elaine’s reaction?”

“Lady Teelo’s mother impressed him, certainly.” Luna chuckled. “She must have been fierce indeed to make him sing her praises so. Sun Hammer is not normally given to such lyrical excess.”

“I know.” Celestia laughed. “Oh, that reminds me. Matthew came to me just after the meeting. He told me Pinkamena was most empathic about not having a party to celebrate Tišina’s defeat.”

Miss Pie does not want a party?” Luna said as Celestia let the scrying spell fade away. “That is—disturbing. It is against the natural order!”

“Oh, it’s not the party she objects to, it’s merely celebrating Tišina’s defeat. Matthew said she was very ambiguous concerning how she defeated Tišina. Something about being ashamed of herself.”

“Does she not realize Tišina would have destroyed the world?” Luna asked, raising her eyebrows.

“Oh yes. But apparently Pinkie made a promise to Tišina that everything would be all right—just before tricking her into inhaling the poison joke powder.”

“Ah. We begin to see.” Luna nodded.

“It must have been terrible for poor Pinkamena.” Celestia continued. “So instead of celebrating Tišina’s defeat, I suggested we throw a Welcome to Equestria party.”

Luna’s brow creased.

“Who are we welcoming, sister?” She asked.

Celestia’s smile was beatific as she told her.