• Published 10th Oct 2012
  • 6,475 Views, 123 Comments

Things Rainbow Dash Doesn't Like - PresentPerfect

  • ...
34
 123
 6,475

Twenty

Twenty

Rainbow Dash flew high above Sweet Apple Acres, looking for a certain orange cowpony. Finding her wasn't difficult: she was bucking apples in the east fields, the full sun shining down on her, almost making her glow. Rainbow tucked her wings in and swooped down at her, unfurling them only at the last possible second, so that she landed in a swirl of grass clippings, twigs and leaves that nearly blew AJ's hat off her head.

"Consarnit, Rainbow Dash!" Applejack declared. "What in the sam hay you tryin' to pull?"

"Some entrance, huh?" Rainbow grinned and a polished her hoof on her chest. "But that's nothin'. I came up with this cool new trick today and figured there was nopony more deserving of being the first to witness its awesomeness than my old buddy AJ."

"Ya don't say," Applejack deadpanned. "You do realize I'm tryin' to work here, right?"

"Pssh. Don't be such a spoilsport! I'm sure you can take a break for five whole minutes to watch your good friend perform amazing feats of aerial spectacle!" Dash raised her wings and reared back dramatically on her hind legs.

Applejack sighed. "Okay, fine, you win. Now what's so hot about this here stunt?"

Dash grinned. "Funny you should say 'hot'. When I'm done, I'll be on fire!"

Applejack's brows raised in alarm. "All right, now that sounds interestin'. This I gotta see."

"Stand back, oh ye of little flight, and prepare to be astounded!"

Rainbow took off into the sky without another word, building speed naturally as she headed for the largest cloud around. She took hold of it and made a tight spiral, until it was rotating swiftly around its vertical axis.

"I seen ya do that one before, Dash!" Applejack taunted.

"You ain't seen nothin' yet!" Rainbow called back, though her voice wasn't audible from the ground.

She flew through another nearby cloud, letting her coat soak up water vapor, and then gave herself a quick spin to flick off the outermost layer of moisture. Another dive and she set the cloud spinning in two directions at once. It began to shrink and dissipate as water was driven from it. By the time she stopped it with one hoof, it looked more like a cirrus than a puffy cumulus, and had begun rising into the air.

"Now for the finale!"

Rainbow very gently gave it a whirl to keep it from spinning apart, but not stopping its ascent. Then she reared back and raced forward, picking up speed. As she passed through the transparent cloud, its edges caught on her mane and coat, rubbing against them.

She began a series of back and forth passes, each time catching more and more of those edges. She flew through the outermost part of the cloud first, and its spin kept it pressing against her. The friction building up soon did its work, igniting the tips of her mane and wings. The moment she smelled smoke, she stopped, posing, and Applejack's jaw dropped. Her friend was indeed partially on fire.

"Whaddaya say to that?" Rainbow crowed, and Applejack stomped her hooves appreciatively. "Everything's better when it's on fire, and I am now at least twenty percen--aghk!"

From out of nowhere, something raced by and into Rainbow Dash. It was Rainbow Dash. She slapped Rainbow Dash across the face, spun her around to put the fire out, and then punched her into the beginning of this story.

"I don't like when twenty percent cooler," she snarled, scowling down at Applejack.

Applejack gulped, looked left and right, and went back to applebucking.