• Published 19th Apr 2024
  • 2,592 Views, 64 Comments

Pale Imitation - Drowned Owl



Anon makes prosthetics, but despite the words of others, he isn't happy with them.

  • ...
7
 64
 2,592

Visitors

There's something to be said about prosthetics. Most of them are terrible. They're cumbersome, expensive paperweights that never do everything their user needs in order to feel normal again. A pale imitation that, while better than nothing, serves as a constant reminder of what you lost.

He hated them. But that's only most prosthetics. In his home world, that would've included all of them, even the most advanced ones. But here on Equus? In a land where magic is just as real as gravity? Things were different. In some ways worse, but in others, better, and he worked tirelessly to make it better still.

Anon finished screwing the pastel-blue hoof onto the filly’s stump, right below her withers. The parents—a scowling turquoise stallion stood behind him, and his partner, a worried, white unicorn sat off to the side—had been very hesitant in agreeing with the procedure. Osseointegration sounded very scary on paper, what with it requiring the installation of a metal rod into the leg bone, but after going through the benefits, they eventually yielded.

Though, that might've had something to do with the pleading look their baby blue daughter sent them.

Part of that fear was understandable. For a race that rarely, if ever, had to resort to surgery, the idea of having your daughter cut open by a stranger would be terrifying. But magic couldn't fix everything, and with how reliant ponykind was on the stuff, they were severely behind when it came to the technology side of things. Pony-made prosthetics were barely any better than medieval era ones, with rudimentary control and piss-poor dexterity, even with magic filling in the gaps for any missing joints. They would lag behind a user's wishes, provide no sensation, and ultimately fail to feel like an extension of the body.

So yes, Anon could understand why their daughter hadn't been happy with them.

“Alright, go ahead and give it a go. There might be a bit of pain when you first put your weight on it, but it should subside quickly,” he explained, scooting back from the bed. The enchantments running along the metal bar in her leg would ensure of that, once they activated and started feeding off the mare's natural magic reserves.

Anon watched as she hesitantly leaned off of the bed and pressed the newly attached foreleg onto the ground. The limb was clearly artificial, with none of the fur coating her real legs, but besides that and the openings where joints were housed, it was relatively inconspicuous. She winced, of course, but once the pain faded her expression quickly shifted into a look of wonder.

“I-I can feel it!” she exclaimed. Standing from the bed, she began stamping the leg up and down, her smile growing with each passing second. She giggled, hopping excitedly in place with a rhythmic clop, clop, clop. Even he cracked a smile at that.

“That would be because it's connected to the bone of your leg. The force of it hitting the ground is traveling up the limb and into your body, so it feels more natural than a regular prosthe–,” he stopped as he felt the filly wrap tightly around his leg. She buried her face into his pants, staining them with tears.

She looked up at him with a hiccuping, watery smile, “T-thank you, Mr. Anon!”

The girl's parents, seeing their daughter's reaction, smiled in relief. The wife looked at him.

“We can't thank you enough, Doctor. We haven't seen her this happy in… in I don't even know how long,” she said. The stallion next to her nodded mutely, not looking away from his daughter.

Anon hesitantly patted the filly’s head as he responded, “You are… quite welcome. I will say that with how much you two have paid, I don’t really think a thanks is necessary.” Their initial offer had been, quite frankly, ludicrous. The kind of money that would see him richer than most nearby towns. It had taken some time to talk them down to a more reasonable sum, but even then it was still far more than he was comfortable taking.

The mare snorted in amusement, “No amount of bits is worth more than our daughter’s happiness. You gave her that, and a thanks is the least we can give.”

From there the two unicorns gently coaxed their daughter into letting him go, after which he walked them back to his living room. Seating themselves—minus one giddy filly—Anon explained how to take care of the prosthetic; simple stuff like taking it off before bed, cleaning it, examining it for damage, etc. He also showed her how to extend it, so that as she grew she could continue to comfortably use it. Then he handed them a repair guide and a few other documents, all hand-written. Printers were unfortunately beyond him.

The wife went through them silently, with an ease that spoke of familiarity with paperwork. Her eyes widened as she examined the last few pages, however.

“Are these… blueprints?”

Anon nodded, “Yes. In the event that it's damaged beyond repair, I felt it prudent to include them so that you can have another made back home.” They were of course free to come to him for another, but there was a chance he wouldn't be around next time, either having moved away, or spontaneously died.

The mare glanced between him and the pages of meticulously copied diagrams like he'd gone insane. Finally, she found her voice, “You–... you know that we could–”

“Sell them? Make your own?” Anon nodded, “I'm aware. And I don't care. I'm not doing this for money, so if you wish to use my work for profit, feel free. All I ask is that you make them as easily obtainable as possible.” He had of course considered bringing his work to pony researchers himself, or even griffon ones, but it… wasn’t good enough. Not yet. Not to him. Not until they were perfect, and they could carry all the hope placed upon them.

“I… I see. If we–if we do, we will ensure that you are properly compensated, I swear it,” she nodded seriously, a strange emotion flickering across her face.

He believed her too. They had found him after all. He couldn’t even begin to imagine how much money they had dumped on searching for a solution to their daughter’s plight. Somehow, they had heard of his work all the way on the outskirts, nestled right between the Crystal Empire and Equestria. If anyone could find him again, it’d probably be the two obscenely rich nobles sitting across from him.

But that was fine. He made no effort to hide himself, so if they wished to use his research for profit and give him a cut, then more power to them. His prosthetics, while woefully inadequate compared to real limbs, were still far, far ahead of what ponykind had. They would easily be able to corner the market. The extra bits would certainly help his work, he supposed, but not nearly as much as one might think.

Anon received another hug from the filly, and, surprisingly, the mother, before they went. Outside, they boarded the elegant white chariot in front of his cabin.

He stood in the doorway as it left, kicking up dust all the way down the road, until he could see it no more.

Anon thought back to the smile of the filly as she hugged him. As if he had given her the world. As if he had given her her leg back. He didn't deserve that smile. It was just a hunk of metal, magic, and plastic; and despite what she had said, she couldn't really feel it. He doubted she would even be able to pick things up with it, like regular pony hooves could.

Anon sighed, rubbing at his eye. He needed a drink.


Anon stumbled back to his room. He'd have to head into town tomorrow, pick up more wine. Food as well, maybe. He could probably afford to import some meat from Griffonia now, instead of just eating produce from the market and what few fish he could catch from the nearby lake. That sounded nice. He was sick of salads.

The door to his bedroom opened. A wobbly Anon stepped through and closed it behind him. Sitting on his bed, Anon leaned down and pulled up the fabric covering his right leg, before unscrewing the prosthetic and letting it fall to the side. He then reached up and tugged the false nose free from his face and the glass eye from his socket, dropping them into a box on his end table. His left arm was slowly unstrapped from around his shoulder and dropped carelessly onto the floor.

The filly’s smile flashed in his mind before sleep took him.

Just a pale imitation…