• Published 12th Apr 2024
  • 125 Views, 8 Comments

The Real Page Turner - The Local Rat Queen



The story of Page Turner and her new life in Ponyville.

  • ...
1
 8
 125

Chapter 2 - Interview

Work is the backbone of an economy. Without it, the world would not go around. An old girlfriend said I just fell for the propaganda, but I enjoyed the idea of work. The idea of dedicating myself to a goal and seeing it through was gratifying.

I said, however, that a deep dread seeped into me as I stood outside Sweet Apple Acres at 8 a.m. The morning was chilly with a stiff breeze. I didn't sleep well after my conversation with Fresh, but I only really slept 4 hours a night. Was I constantly tired? Yes, but it's a small price for efficiency.

Walking into the farm was peaceful; the smell of dirt and mulch was heavy in the air. Instead of my dress, I wore a long black skirt and a white shirt. Causal and light, perfect for farm work, I hope.

As I walked under a white archway in the fence, I saw a huge red barn and two figures having a one-sided conversation. One of them was the familiar form of Applejack, while the one who noticed me was a red stallion with a resting bitch face to rival Lila. He gave me a long suspicious look as he cleared his throat to get Applejack's attention. She turned to me and smiled warmly.

"Well, bless me; I didn't expect you so soon. How are you doing, Page?” Applejack said, motioning me over.

"Well, this is about the only job to grow trees, so I figured, why not give it a go?” I said this as I took my spot in the social triangle.

Applejack laughed at the statement, “Glad you are in good spirits, so I can take it you're ready to get your hooves moving?”

The red chap spoke up with a voice so deep and booming it could shake the earth. “Are you sure the kid is up for it, Aj?”

Applejack sighed, “I have a plan just to hold on Big Mac; pardon my brother Page.”

“Well, I've never done farm work before, but I used to do a lot of soup kitchen volunteer work back in Manehattan, so I can learn.” I am now doubting my abilities.

Applejack grinned, and Big Mac actually smiled slightly. “That's the attitude! Anyhow, let's get formalities out of the way. Meet with Sugar Belle inside, and she'll get you officially registered. She handles all our paperwork.”

“Sounds good,” I said, sounding enthused, when in reality I knew this might hamper my chances of a job.


The purple mare, known as Sugar Belle, sat across from me in the office. She had her hair in a curled, messy bun with big reading glasses adorning her face. Her smile was bright and cheery; however, all I felt was despair and dread.

“Are you nervous?” She asked in a cheery tone while fussing over paperwork. Her tone was in stark contrast to my feelings on the matter. These questions will most likely be the end of my employment history here.

“A little, but I’d rather not faff about and waste your time, so I'm ready when you are.” I said putting on a practiced brave face, and yes, one of my greatest skills is fake confidence.

"Oh, this isn't a waste! Don’t worry about it.” She looked down at her list and then back at me. “Let's start with this: Your full name; what would that be?”

Aww, fuck, well, it’s over.

Hang up the hat.

I gotta explain gender to a cis pony, fuck.

I should just leave.

I mustered up courage for my voice. “I would prefer to be called Page Turner, but my full name is Improv Fable.”

Now all she has to do is not ask any questions about this.

“May I ask why the new name?” She said she was filling out the form; her tone was not bad, just curious.

I was quiet, and she took that moment to look at me, and it seemed like she studied me this time. I tried to come up with a response, an excuse, or to excuse myself and leave, but she spoke first.

“I think I get it now; sorry for the awkwardness.” She said it so simply that it caught me off guard.

I couldn't formulate a thought, much less a sentence, due to the mental whiplash.

“Are you okay, Page?” She said that after a second, her smile was so inviting and comforting. I felt reassured and responded.

“I am fine, ma'am. Sorry, I was just not expecting a reaction, so... well, neutral.” Now my mind was flooded if I was overanalyzing her; maybe she thought I was Cis and I was over assuming.

“It’s all dandy! Let’s continue; how about your age?” She said to keep the flow of the conversation going again.

Unfortunately, she asked the second question I dreaded. “Seventeen ma’am.”

She looked up at me. "Oh, you’re still a kid,” she said. “When is your birthday?”
I found that line condescending. I am barely still a kid; what kind of thing was that to say?

“September Seventeenth, But will this affect my getting a job?” I asked her, concern creeping into my voice.

“Not necessarily just what type of work you can do; some jobs are legally age-restricted.” She said in a professional tone before dropping it, “What will most likely happen is you will be put on light work till your birthday, then you will graduate to big girl jobs.”

Her tone still irked me, but I did appreciate her honesty and openness. "Okay, that makes sense. What’s next?” I said I was eager to move on.

“Education level?” She asked, looking ready to check one box out of her few already.

"Well, I am a high school dropout.” That made her look at me with a quizzical look while she moved her hoof to sign a different box: “I wanted to join the workforce early. I am not the brightest, so I figured my body would be better for the workforce than my mind. Gotta play your strengths and all that notion.”

She seemed to think about that and made a small note: “Lastly, who is your caretaker or guardian?”

"Well, ma’am, I moved her to Ponyville on my own.” That shocked her, and I corrected her, "Well, me and my best friend, she is going to school at the animal sanctuary. We take care of each other.”

That still made her look at me with concern in her eyes; she did not hide it well. “If you are sure.” She went back to her cheery tone and persona. “I think that wraps us up. I can’t wait to have you!”

That caught me off guard: “Wait, I'm hired?!”

Sugar Belle laughed, “Eeyup, if you meet with me, it means you passed the Applejacks test. Pinkie calls it her ‘vibe check, but it really means she likes you. We here believe anyone can be a good worker if the attitude is right, and a good pony always has the right attitude.”

That made me grin like an idiot. “I am honored to be here!”
“Now all you need to get is your hiring bonus!” Sugar Belle said with a cheery voice.


I got home around 3 p.m., and the gift was dragging me down. I opened the door with a groan. My saddle bags were loaded, and I just crumpled to the floor after the door closed behind me. Lila, who was lying in a similar fashion as myself but on the sofa, looked puzzled at me.

“Are you okay?” She asked, and her green eyes showed an exhaustion I felt in my core.

"Yeah, yeah, the boss lady gave me a gift. It feels more like a punishment.” I gestured to my bags as Lila picked them up in her magic, tilting them over around ten lbs of apples rolled out.

Lila looked on in bewilderment and said, “What the fuck?”

I laughed. “You are so fucking real for that; like, what am I supposed to do with this?”

After we both giggled at the absurdity of it, I looked at my spiritual sister again and asked, “How was school?”

The question seemed to irritate Lila, but she kept her cool. “It was fun, just, well, a lot.”

“How so?” I asked with concern for her filling my voice.

“It was just a lot to wrap my head around for day one, mostly learning animal routines. I feel I am not going to handle it all well.” She said she was standing up to clean up the mess of apples.

I stood to help, and as we cleaned, I stated, “Stuff and nonsense, you will do amazing. You are the baddest bitch in town. If anyone will thrive, it will be you. Now, instead of drowning in the negative, let's go buy a milkshake. My treat.”

Lila smiled as the last apple was pulled into her magic. “Why not? It can’t hurt, right?”

“Hell yeah!” I shouted, flourishing my wings, “Milk!”

Lila looked at me like I was shouting fire in a theater.

“Shut up. Let's get shakes and forget.” I said this as we left our house, feeling a little normal.

Author's Note:

This chapter was lowkey hell bc writers block, but HERE IT IS!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment