• Published 19th Mar 2024
  • 260 Views, 7 Comments

My Little Alternatives - AkumaKami64



A place to dump plot bunny ideas that might or might not get turned into full stories one day.

  • ...
0
 7
 260

Mantle of Discord

Mantle of Discord, AKA What if Celestia and Luna aren't the only ones retiring?

It was over. Finally, the battle was over, and the day was saved.

Tirek, Chrysalis, and Cozy were all trapped beneath a giant muffin, their powers back into the Bell of Grogar.

Discord, after removing his magic from Pinkie for everypony's safety, had returned the magic to Celestia and Luna and-

"Wait, where did Discord go?" Twilight asked in surprise.

"Probably just slithering off, still ashamed of this mess he made," Applejack, more out of annoyance than expectation.

"Oh, not quite."

The mane six turned around, just in time to see Discord holding the Bell of Grogar.

He was pointing it at Twilight.

"Discord, wh-?!" Fluttershy called out in alarm, but it was too late.

Twilight blinked as the entire world went white. She found herself in a void. No light, no darkness. Only this empty whiteness that went on forever.

"Not quite how I wanted to end things."

Twilight turned in alarm, seeing Discord approaching her, fading into this realm as he walked, seemingly from nowhere.

"But I suppose this is the best time," he said with a smile.

"Discord? What did you do now? Haven't you learned better after how your last plan turned out?" Twilight asked in annoyance.

"And what makes you think that all wasn't the plan?" Discord asked with a chuckle.

"I doubt losing your magic was part of the plan," Twilight said with a flat look...which faded away as he kept smiling. "Discord, what...what did you do?"

Discord took a seat beside her, his leg dangling over a cliff that wasn't there. "Celestia and Luna are not the only ones passing on their torches, Twilight."

"What do you mean?" Twilight asked, concern growing in her voice. "What's going on? Where...where are we?"

"A place between the end of one eon and the start of another," Discord answered mysteriously, turning to look at her with a strange...strange look; Like he was so proud and yet so tired. "I've outgrown this world, Twilight."

"...What?" Twilight asked in confusion. "What does that even mean?"

"It means I'm long overdue for a promotion," Discord said bluntly. "But I didn't want to leave my old position vacant."

"Okay? So just let Pinkie keep the magic? She's probably meant to be a God of Chaos," Twilight suggested, even if that was a bit intimidating to think about.

"Who said I was the God of Chaos?"

Twilight paused and blinked. "What?"

"I'm the Spirit of Chaos," Discord corrected playfully. "It's not what I'm god of. Just something I am. But I've been looking for a divine replacement for a long...long time, Twilight."

Twilight stiffened as everything around her changed. She saw the world flashing by, showing many different events across time. Sunset Shimmer leaving Equestria, Celestia and Luna facing Discord, The Pillars of Old Equestria ready to face another foe, and all the way back to when the three tribes united under the Fire of Friendship that drove away the Windigos.

And there, on top of the mountain, beneath the Fire of Friendship, Twilight stood and perceived Discord…not the Discord she knew, but one from ages ago, staring up at the purple flames with an expectant look.

"Discord? Why...why are you showing me this?" Twilight called out in bewilderment.

"I'm not showing you anything, Twilight Sparkle," The Discord of the Past said.

Twilight's wings sprung up in alarm and shock. "Wait? Isn't...isn't this a memory? A vision of the past?"

"Yes, yes it is," Discord answered with a smile. "So, you're the one I'm waiting for."

"I'm...I'm talking to you...in the past?" Twilight asked slowly. "We time traveled?"

"No, nothing like that. Just a moment where we both get a peak. You behind the curtain, me at the spoilers," Discord explained.

Twilight shook her head. "Wait, I still don't understand? Why me? What do you even want?"

"I haven't told you yet? I suppose my manners will be slipping in the centuries," Discord said with a chuckle. "I look forward to testing you, Twilight Sparkle."

"Wait-!" Twilight called out as she was thrown back into the white void with the Discord she knew. "That wasn't real. Tell me that was NOT real!"

"Why would I do that, Twilight Sparkle?" Discord asked with a chuckle.

"Because I can't...I can't believe that. You've been waiting thousands of years, just for me? You knew the future, somehow, somewhat? But you never acted on it?" Twilight asked in bewilderment.

"Didn't act on it?" he asked in mock surprise before giving her a plain smile. It was somehow more intimidating than his other smiles. "Twilight, everything has gone exactly as I wanted."

"What does that mean?" Twilight asked with a furrowed brow.

"That every battle and trial you have faced has played out in my palm, "Discord answered, holding up a chest in his talons.

The Chest of Harmony.

"...The keys. Your betrayal," Twilight realized numbly. "Even then? How?! No, why!? What is this!? You want me to take up this mantle of yours, and you molded me to be it?!"

"Tempered, I'd say, but yes," Discord answered, placing a hand on her withers.

Twilight jerked away from his touch. "No, no more riddles or jokes! Just tell me the truth. Why?"

Discord fell silent for a moment. "I can ascend anytime I want, Twilight. Reach a higher state of being. But I didn't want to leave my old throne empty."

"Yes, but why? What's so important about it? Why me?" Twilight asked pressingly.

Discord smiled. "Because if I didn't, I'd be abandoning this world, Twilight. I...do a lot more than you might think. Things you'll only understand in time. But the long and short is...I wanted to protect this world from the true chaos I would cause if I left."

Twilight blinked as she stared and found something rare in Discord's eyes. "You're serious," she said in alarm. "You were...worried about everyone? The whole world?"

Discord nodded sagely.

"...You said you're not the God of Chaos," Twilight said slowly. "What are you God of then?"

Discord smiled as he leaned down and whispered the answer into her ear.

Twilight's eyes slowly became more and more wide with each word. She could deny it, rail agianst it, yet she...couldn't. "You're the God of...? And you're getting...something even beyond that?"

Discord chuckled. "The cosmos is a vast and infinite place, Twilight. More worlds and realm exist than you can ever count. I've spent these long years here, but now it is time to spread my wings a bit and see the rest of Infinity."

"B-but I can barely even wrap my head around being Princess of Equestria! I can't even imagine what being a God would mean!" Twilight said in alarm. "Discord, please. You...you make this sound like you'll be gone after this. Even if I believe and accept all of this, I don't...I don't want you to leave us."

"I know," Discord said gently. "And yet, I have to leave. If I stayed...I might destroy this world by accident. New, greater powers and all that," he assured and saw Twilight's eyes growing wet. "Don't worry, Sparkles! My old position comes with several perks, one of which you'll desperately want."

"And what's that?" Twilight asked skeptically. "A book on how to actually BE a God?"

"..." Discord's smile widened, his eyes glimmering.

Twilight couldn't help perking up. "Wait...Really?!"

Discord chuckled. "Kind of! Let's just say you'll know what to do and how," he assured before sighing. "Damn you, ponies! I've been ready to leave for ages, and now..." he paused with a bright smile. "I almost don't want to go."

"Then why...?" Twilight asked.

"Because if I don't, I might never leave," Discord said before shaking his head. "And honestly? Twilight, I'm beginning to grow wary of this throne. Every decade, I grow less motivated to keep up with the job. I'd rather leave it in capable limbs before I start to neglect this world too much."

"...Is that why Celestia and Luna are retiring?" Twilight asked softly. "Did they grow wary of ruling and want to pass it on to someone who they could trust?"

"Maybe," Discord said with hum. "Maybe you should ask them someday."

Twilight sighed deeply. "I...Okay, Discord," she said with a sigh. "By the way? Why didn't Tirek or anyone get your full power then, if you're not the God of Chaos?"

Discord smirked. "Because godhood cannot be stolen, Twilight Sparkle. It can only be earned, or granted. And you've both earned and been granted godhood."

With that, he brought himself down to embrace her, his head against hers. Twilight starred in surprise as Discord closed his eyes. "I'm going to miss you silly ponies."

He opened his eyes and...something was different about them. "Discord? Your eyes, wh-?"

Discord just smiled and the void faded back into the world.

Twilight found herself on a medical bed in Canterlot Castle. She stood without preamble, rubbing her head. "Twilight, you're awake!" Cadence said in relief as she came to her side. "I'm so glad you're awake. Everyone has been so worried about you."

Twilight nodded absently. "Discord is gone."

Cadence nodded. "Yes, he...after whatever he did, he turned to dust and vanished. He seemed almost...sad though? No one is sure where he went."

Twilight sighed and shook her head, looking up. Cadence gasped at the sight of her face. "He claimed his throne above," Twilight said mysteriously, looking at Cadence. "What's wrong?"

"Twilight, your...your eyes," she said in surprise.

Twilight hummed, her horn glowing as a mirror appeared ni front of her. She already knew, but she wanted to see it for herself.

It was stil lher int he mirror, but with one distance. the white of her eyes were now yellow. The same shade as Discord's.

"Wait here, I'll get a doct-" Cadence started, only for Twilight to shake her head.

"I'm fine, Cadence. Just a parting gift from Discord," Twilight assured levelly, glancing around in idle curiosity, seemingly at nothing.

"Are you... sure?" Cadence asked skeptically. "Twilly, you're acting a bit...strange?"

Twilight smiled. It was genuine, but it felt older than her usual smile. "Let's just say I have a lot on my mind. Speaking of which, I need to talk with Celestia and Luna. Everyone, really, but mainly those two."

Cadence opened her mouth, and then tilted it. "Twilly? When did you stop calling my aunties Princess?"

"Just now, I think. I'm assuming they'd want me?" Twilight said before frowning. "No, that's not right. They've always wanted me to be less formal with them."

"Well, yes, that is true," Cadence agreed. "Twilight, please. What did Discord say or...do to you?"

"Oh, he just gave me a job," Twilight answered, looking straight up again. "And you know, as intimidating as it seemed, this'll probably make being Princess a lot easier."

"What do you-" Cadence blinked as Twilight disappeared in a flash of teleportation.

"Whoops. Meant to grab Cadence with that. Leaving her like that felt rather rude," Twilight noted before looking back at the thrones, Celestia and Luna speaking with several guards and officials about repairs and aid needing to be sent out across Canterlot.

"Twilight, you are awake," Celestia said with a relieved smile.

"Yes, most fortunate," Luna agreed with a pleaed look of her own.

"Thank you," Twilight said with a smile. "And...we need to talk."

"Is it about Discord?" Celestia predicted, squinting her eyes as she realized Twilight seemed different.

"In more ways than one," Twilight answered with a sage confidence she had never possessed before. "Please come with me, I feel like I need to trot and walk."

The royal sisters shared a look. They got the distinct impression that Twilight was about to reveal something incredible to them.

"Lead on, Princess Twilight," Luna accepted curiously.

Author's Note:

So, yeah, little sneak peak of a project I'm considering the future. Twilight gets Discord's old position as a God. What of, is left as a mystery for now. But this also plays into the old idea that Discord was a benevolent manipulator for Twilight and her friends, setting up many of their trails in advance. I always liked this idea.

But yeah, this is just a plot bunny for now. Hope you all enjoyed it!

Comments ( 7 )

it was ok just try to focus on your old stories:twilightsmile:

11854522
Don't worry, I got four updates coming next month that are all MLP

you need to be more active, i understand if you can't, but you are a REALLY good story teller bro.

11854707
I agree, and the concepts that they come up with for their stories are really interesting as well!

11857427
yea, like Discord actually being a fucking threat for once. XDD

Is this based on from discord comes harmony?

Login or register to comment