• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 10,495 Views, 626 Comments

May the Best Friends Win - Trinary



Dashverse: Rainbow Dash's old friend is coming to Ponyville and it doesn't go well with her new on

  • ...
12
 626
 10,495

Chapter 11

& & &

Twilight Sparkle trotted through the streets of Ponyville with a determined glint in her eye. She was a mare on a mission! Cloud Kicker trotted just a little bit behind her, not sure of what she was up to. “Twilight? Care to fill me in?”

“No time!” Twilight called back. “You go look for Rainbow Dash. I’m going to talk to the Applejack and Rarity. Let me know where she is, but don't talk to her yourself. Let me do it.” She paused and turned her head. “Um, thanks for telling me about what happened. I think it’ll really help.” She gave the free-spirited pegasus a smile. “I can see why Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy think you’re such a good friend.”

“Wow, I must be losing my touch.” Cloud Kicker joked. “I mean, you took the drinks I gave you without checking for alcohol. Does that mean we're becoming friends?”

Twilight flushed. “Cloud Kicker...”

“Oh, I’m sorry, am I making you nervous? If you want you can tie me up if that makes you feel safer. I got ropes in my closet.” The flirty pegasus teased, her eyelids fluttering as Twilight’s cheeks reddened.

“C-c’mon,” She rubbed her blushing face.

Kicker cooed at her. “Awww…you’re blushing! So cute! It’s like a little pair of ripe red cherries, ready for plucking!” She lowered her voice to gently breathe in Twilight’s ear. “And speaking of cherries…”

A feeling of incredible heat rose in Twilight’s face. “I—ohlookoverthere!” She pointed at a familiar white pegasus. “Isn’t that Blossomforth?” As soon as Kicker’s gaze flickered away, Twilight closed her eyes and teleported herself away from the embarrassment- and innuendo-spewing machine that was Cloud Kicker.

It was more by luck than by design that when Twilight reappeared, it was at Sweet Apple Acres. She swayed woozily on her hooves as she took time to recover from the side effects of a hasty, unplanned teleport. “Twilight?” She turned just in time to see Applejack trotting over to her. “You okay, sugarcube?”

“Y-yeah. I’m fine. I’m just a little woozy.”

Applejack gently guided her over to the shade of an apple tree. “Why don’t you rest a spell here with Rarity while I get you something to drink. Apple juice okay, or would you prefer water?”

Twilight’s eyes flickered over to the white unicorn sitting underneath the branches of the tree atop a thin blanket and dabbing at her eyes with a tissue. “Rarity?” She hadn’t even noticed she was there. “Um, no thanks Applejack. I’m okay, really. Besides I just had a drink with Cloud Kicker and…” Applejack groaned suddenly.

“Aww sugarcube, didn’t you check to see if it was spiked first? Tell me you didn’t end up going for a roll in the hay with her.”

With a martyred groan Twilight felt her cheeks light up for the second time in as many minutes. “It wasn’t that kind of drink and it wasn’t—! We were on the couch the whole time! Wait no- w-we were just talking about Trixie's plot! About DASH DASH! Trixie's plot with Dash! GAH!" Twilight facehooved, her cheeks glowing brighter than her horn ever did. Why couldn't she have some dignity? She’d really like some.

“Twilight dear, calm down.” Rarity got up and walked over, gently leading the furiously blushing into the shade. “Have a seat where it’s nice and cool.” She shot Applejack a look. “Honestly darling, you know Twilight well enough that she would never be so…crass…as to give up her, um, virtues as easily as that.”

Having the grace to look abashed, Applejack rubbed the back of her head. “Er, heh. Guess not. Sorry, Twi.”

“It…it’s okay.” Twilight said weakly as she waited for her cheeks to cool down. “We—Cloud Kicker and I—were actually talking about Trixie. I was going to see Rainbow Dash next, but I wanted to see how you two were doing first.”

“How we’re doing?” Applejack tried to smile but it soon turned into a grimace. She sighed. “Feeling lower than a snake’s belly, that’s how.”

Rarity nodded stiffly. “I must agree with Applejack. Everything…everything’s just gone all to pieces! First my Sweetie Belle and now with Rainbow Dash—”

“Getting into a fight with Trixie didn’t help.” Twilight pointed out, not unkindly. “I was a bit surprised at you, Rarity. I didn’t think you’d be the kind to, well…”

“Grapple in the streets like some ruffian?” Rarity sniffed, her cheeks flushed. “It’s positively mortifying…but it’s just—ooh that Trixie!” She fumed. “After Rainbow Dash left I went to speak to Sweetie Belle about her…interesting dress design. She said—” Rarity lowered her head. “—that she had wanted to be a great fashion designer like me…but if all I cared about were dresses then Sweetie Belle would have to find a new big sister like…like…”

“Trixie?” Twilight supplied.

Rarity stamped her hooves on the ground. “Do not say that name in front of me!” She burst into tears. “She took my sister from meeee!" Applejack gave her a comforting nuzzle.

“I’m so sorry.” Twilight said softly as she nuzzled her from the other side. “But you still shouldn’t have hit her.”

“I know I shouldn’t have!” Rarity’s lower lip wobbled, prompting her to delicately bite down on it. “But she just…it’s like she has this trick for saying exactly the right thing in exactly the right manner in order to provoke a response. I couldn’t ignore it!”

“Like a mosquito bite on yer backside.” Applejack compared unflatteringly. “Ah still cain’t talk to Apple Bloom. She’s locked herself in her room convinced that she has to choose between staying with her family or growing up and getting her Cutie Mark. And that if she gets an apple Cutie Mark what like the rest of the family has—” She snorted angrily. “Then that means that she ain’t special. All on account of that no account Trixie!”

Twilight felt her heart breaking. “Oh Applejack…Rarity…I'm so sorry. Don’t worry, I’ll talk with Rainbow Dash. We’ll...we’ll make it right, somehow. I promise.”

Just as her two friends started to brighten, Twilight heard a sound that chilled her very soul. “Hey Twilight!”

It was Cloud Kicker.

Gulping nervously, Twilight turned to greet the incoming pegasus. “H-hello Cloud Kicker. Sorry for leaving so fast. I just really want to—”

“I found Rainbow Dash.” CK said, foregoing the need to tease Twilight for the moment. “She’s over on the other side of Ponyville. You can’t miss her.”

“Thank you!” Twilight beamed widely. “I—I’ll make this up to you later!” She was so pleased she leaned and gave Cloud Kicker a brief nuzzle of gratitude—prompting Rarity and Applejack’s jaws to drop. “It’ll be okay everypony, you’ll see!” Then Twilight closed her eyes and teleported out.

The three remaining ponies just stood there, looking at one another and the spot where Twilight had just vanished from. “So…” Cloud Kicker said to fill the void. “Did you know Twilight uses tongue?”

& & &

Rainbow Dash, seeking to leave the drama of the day down on the ground, had found shelter in a stray cloud where she could properly think of a mature way to—oh fine, she was sulking, happy?

Though really, who could blame her? Dash thought. Her friends were at each other’s throats and they were all trying convince her that the other was the problem. She leaned over and stuck her head into the cloud. This was so infuriating!

“Rainbow Dash?” She heard her name being faintly called, despite having cloud in her ears. She did her best to ignore it as she really wasn’t in the mood. “Rainbow Dash, I know you’re up there!” The voice was louder now, closer. It sounded like…

“Twilight?” Rainbow mumbled into the cloud. She buried her head in deeper, like an ostrich. “Uh no it isn’t! Beep beep. I’m a cloud!” She paused. “…you’re not buying this, are you?”

“Sorry.” Twilight deadpanned. “I mean, it was a convincing cloud impersonation if it weren’t for the fact that your rainbow-tailed rump is sticking up for everypony to see. Otherwise it was flawless.”

Rainbow felt her cheeks flush at the image she must’ve presented as she pulled her head out of the cloud. She shook off any remaining stray bits before peering over the side at her. “Hey, Twilight…what’s up? Besides me that is.” She chuckled weakly.

Twilight had debated on the way here on how to best proceed with this talk. She figured with Rainbow, blunter was better. “I spoke with Cloud Kicker.”

“Oh…” Rainbow sat back. Twilight frowned.

“Yeah, ‘oh.’” She took a breath. “Rainbow…”

But Rainbow Dash forestalled her by holding up her hooves. “Twi, wait…I-I need to say something.” Her wings twitched nervously. “I’m sure after listening to CK that you’re probably wondering why I would be friends with a pony like Trixie.” Twilight nodded.

“The thought HAD crossed my mind.” She admitted. “Does this mean you believe her now?”

“I don’t know, okay? I. Don’t. Know.” Rainbow ground out. “Just listen, okay?”

“Sorry.” Twilight apologized softly.

Dash huffed but then let it out. “Yeah, sorry…kinda on edge lately.” She chuckled. “Where was I? Oh yeah, why I’m friends with Trixie; it’s a bit hard to explain. I mean it’s like…I like that you guys are supportive and caring and cool and stuff. You’re great, really. But I like that with Trixie I can…you know, go all out without being afraid of hurting somepony’s feelings because I know she’s not holding anything back either. It’s…” she shuffled awkwardly. “It’s like I have to hold back or play a part when I’m with the ponies around here: you, the others, Dinky, my co-workers; so I can be a good supportive friend, a godmom, a weather chief or whatever. But with Trixie I can just be myself. I don’t have to hold back or be afraid of upsetting anypony. I-I don’t know what I’d do if I lost that.”

Twilight said nothing. She tilted her head up and closed her eyes. Her horn glowed as a matching colored aura surrounded the cloud Rainbow Dash was sitting on. It gently settled down on the ground. Rainbow hopped off so Twilight could walk up to her, as she expected. She didn’t quite expect the normally reserved unicorn to pull in her a fierce hug.

“Rainbow Dash…you never have to be afraid of showing us who you really are: we already saw it, out there in the Everfree, the night Nightmare Moon returned.” Twilight said gently as she held her. “Who you are is a wonderfully loyal friend. I don’t think you’re pretending at all when you’re with us or Dinky or anypony else. You’re always you…for better or worse.” She teased gently.

That made the pegasus snort unexpectedly in amusement. “Oh ha ha,” she grumbled, but a smile threatened to break through. “But I feel like I have to try so much harder when I’m around Dinky or the weather team. I guess I’m afr, er—I’m concerned—that if I just do what comes naturally I might be a bad influence or a bad boss. You know me, I just like to do things without trying to think about every little thing ahead of time.”

“I’ve noticed.” Twilight said dryly, chuckling. She hugged Rainbow tighter. “But re-thinking and applying yourself more to specific roles doesn’t mean that they aren’t part of who you are. I’ve seen you with Ditzy and her family: there’s nothing artificial, nothing fake there. And just because some ponies would like it if you bragged a little less or were a bit more considerate, it isn’t the same as them not wanting you to be yourself.” She gave her a kind nuzzle. “If it comes down between choosing you, flaws and all, and you being somepony you’re not, we’ll pick you every time.” She smiled. “No matter how loud, how bragging…”

“Uh, Twi?”

“…cocksure, hot-tempered, hot-headed, lazy, show-offy…”

“Twilight!” Rainbow frowned and started to pull away before she noticed the tell-tale smirk on the purple unicorn’s face. “HEY!”

She giggled. “Sorry,” Twilight apologized, a smile on her face. “I couldn’t resist.”

Rainbow Dash’s frown lasted only half a second. “Heh, good one. So’s this!” She grabbed Twilight’s head and stuck in under her foreleg, then proceeded to give her the biggest noogie she could.

“EEEE! Ack! Rainbow!” Twilight whined as her mane was thoroughly messed up. “Quitit Rainbow!” After a good half-minute, Rainbow Dash stopped and let Twilight catch her breath. She panted. “Feeling…better?”

The cyan pegasus tapped her hoof against the side of her face in apparent deep thought. “Yup.” She pronounced. “Heh, thanks Twilight.”

“Well, all kidding aside, we like you for who you are.” Twilight said again. “All of us have traits that, well, annoy other ponies. They’re part of what makes us who we are. I know that Rarity’s fussiness or Fluttershy’s nervousness or Pinkie’s…whatever…get on your nerves sometimes; mine too for that matter. And don’t get me started on that know-it-all purple unicorn.” Twilight grinned. “But that doesn’t mean we’re any less friends, does it?”

“Not a chance.” Rainbow gave her a tight squeeze in return. “Thanks Twilight. Really.”

After a moment Twilight hesitantly nudged Rainbow. “So…do you know what you’re going to do about Trixie?”

“…I…I don’t know.” Rainbow Dash repeated. “I know she’s arrogant and stuck up and a bit of a pain...” Twilight nodded in emphatic agreement. “But…” Rainbow added. “She’s still my friend. I can’t leave a friend hanging, you know that.”

Twilight sighed, but nodded. “I understand…you wouldn’t be Rainbow Dash if you did.”

Dash smiled wanly. “Yeah…if I can ditch one friend, what’s to stop me from ditching the rest of you guys? Besides, Trixie’s not that different than me.”

Shaking her head, Twilight took a step closer. “You’re wrong. She’s nothing like you. You both might brag and show-off, but you’re the most loyal pony I know. Trixie isn't. I don’t think you understand what Trixie is really like. She isn’t a good pony who just brags a bit. It goes beyond having a big head or an ego the size of Manehattan: she’s selfish, manipulative, possessive, jealous and cruel.” She bit her lip. “You said that you felt like you could only be yourself around Trixie…but what if she’s the one hiding who she really is from you? What if I could show you for yourself what Trixie is like when you’re not around? Would you believe me then?”

“….” Rainbow Dash turned away. She sighed before looking back at Twilight. “…what did you have in mind?”

& & &