• Published 30th Jan 2024
  • 241 Views, 4 Comments

How's Life Been Treating You? - nitelight



After Celestia and Luna's retirement, they send Twilight letters of their adventures.

  • ...
 4
 241

The Second

Dearest Twilight,

I can see that things have been getting quite busy in Canterlot. Setting treaties between multiple kingdoms at once is tricky, but you're handling it with grace. I'm glad to see that your influence has spread them to limit their fighting with each other. I never thought I'd see the day where the dragons and griffons would be at legal peace with one another. You truly are a wonder.

With these, I've noticed an increase in the diversity here in Silver Shoals as well. Mostly hippogriffs, of course, but there are quite a few new creatures settling into the further parts of Equestria. It is such a drastic change from the beginning of our rule. Then, it was still rare to see earth ponies, unicorn, and pegasi living in the same town. Though different in its details, it is similar enough that to where I can give you some advice on the matter: do not be alarmed if things seem like they are going south. With any change as big as this, there will be conflicts between the creatures themselves and with the ponies. Keep a level head the best you can, but don't be afraid to step in and reprimand those who cause trouble.

Speaking of trouble, I have the need to ask you about my sister. I hate to admit, but you know this version of her better than I do, as you grew up with her. I feel as if I do not know her well enough as I should as family. Afterall, we are all each other has biologically. She has changed much in these years and I can only imagine how much more she will continue to. That being said, she has asked me a simple question that I never seem to have an answer for; that of expanding our family.

Celestia adopted Cadence as her niece, and therefore by law I am an aunt as well, but Celestia, for some reason, does not feel as if that is enough. I do not count Blueblood. I do not know what has come over her all the sudden. Perhaps since freeing herself from her duties as princess, she feels the need to occupy her days with another task that will keep her busy. Or perhaps she was reminded of you growing up. She may never have admitted it directly, but you are the closest thing she has had to a daughter. At least that I know of.

I myself have never thought of the prospect of romance much. I am, as they say, married to my work, much like yourself. Though now, I suppose that could change. But I feel quite content with just myself and the relationship I have with my sister. Though that conversation is probably better to have with Cadence than yourself. She, out of any of us, would know the most out of romance, being the princess of love.

While I have not heard Celestia mention a stallion that she has her eye on, it is possible that she will try to pursue one in the near future. Though, at the current moment, she seems more driven to raising a foal. I will have to remind her that it is not that simple a process. Knowing Celestia, however, anything is possible. If she does not seem the type to have the type of courtship, perhaps an adoption would be more her style.

Though I could only imagine what atrocities we would be at parenting together. Celestia practically raised me, and while I wouldn't say I turned out awful, I definitely am not the poster for angel child. Then again, raising a child of your own is different than growing up alongside a sibling. As one yourself, I am sure you can attest.

Only time can tell with Flurry Heart, but it is possible that she will grow up similar to you with Shining Armor raising her. Let us hope that she takes after Cadence more. Though perhaps I am biased towards my niece. I unfortunately never spent much time with your older brother. Like many things since our retirement, I hope to get more time to do so.

As for an update with our lives, I have yet again stolen this letter for myself to send. No doubt Celestia will send one soon, however. She has been keeping herself busy. Some activities of her I am not sure are the safest. I mean honestly, she could put herself in serious danger and want to do it again without the blink of an eye. I feel like a concerned parent at times, watching over a hyperactive filly. But I am also glad. She never got to do these things and set herself free as she does now. It makes me happy to see my sister so full of life.

I have been busying myself with gathering my own personal library of books that I used to love when I was growing up in the Everfree. A few have lasted the years in our old castle, but many others have seen the lasting effects of its untamed nature. I hold many dear memories of that place, but still find it difficult to stay for long. The shadows there are not welcoming. (The crystal treehouse was also a jarring sight at first).

I know you are busy, but I would love to know if you come across any titles that I am looking for in any of your collections. Whether in the original Old Ponish or the translated text, I will appreciate either. The language holds a special place in my heart, as it is what I grew up with. I still have trouble after all these years to really understand how drastic a change it was to how we speak now. I know you are fluent as well, which is a welcoming feeling. It is sad to see that so many do not know even a word of it.

Starswirl, whenever he comes around from his own adventures, sometimes will slip back into the tongue. It leaves Celestia quite confused, as she only picks up parts, which we both find quite amusing. He was once as close to us as you were with Celestia when under her study. I am glad that he is exploring to find what he wants to do in this new age. Last time we talked, he mentioned settling down soon to fully study the history of the land during his absence.

Wear your crown high and with pride Twilight. I know it may be hard at times. Cry if you need, let your emotions out as they come. Continue to be true to yourself. Advice that I wish I knew and upheld when I was young and newly crowned. Though now it has been a few months. It is unlikely that such major problems like Tirek or Chrysalis will happen often in your rule, but I know that you can handle them if they do. As monarch, most problems will not be this severe that you have to deal with. The worst you're going to have most weeks is fighting dignitaries and nobles.

You continue to surprise us everyday, and I hope you still do so years from now. Keep things exciting for us.

Your friend,
Luna