• Published 6th Oct 2012
  • 12,249 Views, 762 Comments

Becoming Rainbow Dash: A Tale of Two Worlds - Freescript the Bard



Markus wakes up in Rainbow Dash's body in his bed on Earth

  • ...
40
 762
 12,249

Clouds Are Like... Plush Trampolines


<> Day 6 <>

A/N: Revised to match timeline.

Flying up to the cloud formation above the city, I gripped a piece of cloud from the wisps of overcast that hung over that part of New York. Making use of the large amounts of magic in the world, the piece I grabbed was relatively large, at least five times the size of my napping clouds.

All the while, I couldn't get the thought of my dream out of my head. I didn't even consider the possibility of our minds fusing. Is that why I'm not resisting? Because I'm not aware of it?

Slowly, as to not break up the formation in my hooves, I moved the group of developing clouds to a lower height. Luckily, while clouds were under the influence of my weather-control magic, they were not susceptible to wind currents, and would stay in place for an hour following any contact with it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not even sure I know how to resist if I wanted to. But… that's the thing… do I want to have our minds intertwined? Would I lose myself if I did?

I met Carol yesterday while flying around between buildings. She owns a penthouse apartment in one of the buildings I passed more often than others. On the roof, she maintains an impressive collection of plants. When I was flying past for the sixth time in a half-hour, she waved me down to offer some homemade punch and muffins. And sweet Celestia, were they delicious.

Carol, who is about fifty years old, is one of those people that sees past what's on the outside to start a conversation, and we were soon chatting idly, as if I wasn't a pony at all. At one point, she told me that some of the plants she owns don't get enough rain from New York weather. Fortunately for her, she was talking to Ponyville's premier weather pegasus.

Even if I don't get overwritten, would I want to share a consciousness with Rainbow Dash? I mean… I would change… I wouldn't be me. Not completely, anyway. But how do I know this change is for better or for worse? How would this help against Discord?

I eventually set the clouds at a standstill above Carol's roof-garden, spacing them over the respective plants. As the middle-aged woman watched from a lawn chair off to the side, I hopped on the clouds in rapid succession, causing them to rain on their designated areas.

I suppose this shows how bored I am, I thought to myself. I glanced over at Carol, who was smiling and sipping a cup of punch. At least I get gratification in the fact that I'm doing something productive and helpful.

"That will be enough, dear," she asserted softly.

I ceased my cloud-to-cloud bouncing and circled around to shove the mass of cloud away, the last of the precipitation dripping out. "It's no prob', really," I replied. "That was really kinda fun."

She smiled warmly at me as I fluttered into the chair opposite her. "Now, I must insist that you be compensated for your time," she said, pulling out her purse.

"Whoa whoa whoa!" I stopped her. "I mean, it's really no big deal. Besides, your amazing muffins are pay enough."

Carol rolled her eyes at me, putting the handbag down. I could feel her eyes on me as I consumed my first muffin, but it wasn't anything creepy. More like the company of an acquaintance. "You should know that my husband supports you."

I looked up at her. "Really?"

"Yes. He's a United States congressman, down in DC, and is a strong supporter of pony rights. After all, you are still humans."

At this, I frowned. "I'm not so sure about that," I told her with a solemn voice. When she remained silent, I continued. "You see, my mind is slowly becoming one with Rainbow Dash's, the pony whose body I'm inhabiting. The only reason I'm not calling myself 'Markus Dash' is because she is resisting the merge; she's scared she will lose herself." I chuckled half-heartedly. "I suppose that's her undying pride and ego, but she's also worried that I'll change, and lose my imagination."

Carol shrugged. She's awesome like that, I can tell her about an internal crisis and she reacts as if this is a normalcy. "Well dear, I do hope you and her work it out eventually."

"Thanks. Oh, if at all possible, try to keep the whole 'mind-meld' thing under wraps. The last thing any of us need is another public freakout over this." She smiled, mimicking zipping her mouth shut. "Well, I wish I could stay, but I should report back to the factory. With everything that's going on, Lauren and Tara don't want me outside for an extended time. If it's not too much trouble, send your husband my best wishes."

"I'll be sure to do that," Carol replied, taking a bite of the remaining muffin.

With a parting wave, I took off, careful not to cause a backdraft. I smiled, weaving my way through the multitudes of high-rise buildings. Carol was one of a rare variety. Compassionate, kind, and made your day better. Not many humans behaved like that in this day and age. Of course, when has that ever been the status quo?

Any further thought was lost in the wind that swept past my face. These past few days, my only release was in flying. The rush of my aerodynamic form cutting through drag, feeling the air currents on my feathers, experiencing the pull of the g-forces in turns and dives. This was my natural high, my retreat from the world, to stop thinking and just jet through the air, letting my senses guide me.

Even before I was a pegasus, I had a love of the air and traveling through it. Many a summer saw me either at the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association), which was based in my hometown of Oshkosh, or at their aviation camp. Really, there is no human replacement to flying than a small single-engine aircraft, high above the city. I was a natural, too, able to land and take off with little assistance my second time flying.

Deciding to return to the sober world, I shook off the drug that was flight and examined my surroundings. I frowned at what I saw. Of course I would end up in the trashy part of Manhattan. Schist. Not being native to the megapolis, I had no idea where my flight-trance had taken me.

I just need to look for a landmark… Aha! Amid the many tall skyscrapers, I picked out the looming form of the Chrysler Building. Revving my wings midair, I sped for the familiar construction dominating the New York Skyline.

~+~+~+~

Silas clicked his mobile phone shut, smiling. The Ukrainian had spent all night online, planting suggestions and anarchist ideals into anti-pony threads under the screen name, 'Mr. Silence'. Eventually, every individual organization an Internet hate group against the ponies had met each other under his hand.

In two nights, Silas had formed orchestrated the massive anti-pony online gathering, featuring people from every corner of the globe. Each individual participant, one by one, soon began to recognize the name Mr. Silence as their superior, and joined in hands for the common hatred.

Silas stood, and took in his creation on the screen. The People Against Ponies Association had been formed.

A/N: Transitional chapters… no me gusta.